Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pixaal posted:

The way It looked in the review they had a few 3DS and a wiiU person using the game pad and the TV just kinda did an Auto Camera for an HD view of the fight (that no one would look at). It would be cool for a group of people watching or if you streamed the TV view I guess. I'm just using the exact words they used in the video.

Unless they showed that in the review I don't think that's the case, and I surely hope it isn't.

Is there anything stopping you from immediately going online or transferring characters between consoles or is that all available when you finish the character creation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSUxpDLkMM

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is the Bow and Arrow still a low risk low reward cop out weapon for people who want to be ranged but don't want the riskier, more complex bowgun gameplay? I wanted to like it in Freedom Unite but it just took so long to kill anything compared to the bowguns.

I know the slime element bow is ridiculous, but I'm talking in general.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Colbear posted:

I reserved a copy of the 3ds version at Gamestop and the guy who rang me up said I should show around 10pm to "finalize the transaction" and get my game right at midnight instead of waiting in line at midnight or whatever. He was fairly insistent about it.

Is it reasonable to assume that's bullshit and just show up around 11:45? The store is in the middle of a pretty large city and the last bus runs around 12:30.

Tonight's the new GEARS OF WARRRRRRRGH launch, so you maaaay find a long line.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

I don't... I'm at a loss for words.

I have yet another question: how do players communicate? Is there an in-game voice-chat ( and better yet, does WiiU have a head-set / does it support head-sets? ), or do people chat by typing?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Are there more of this?

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Arthe Xavier posted:

I have yet another question: how do players communicate? Is there an in-game voice-chat ( and better yet, does WiiU have a head-set / does it support head-sets? ), or do people chat by typing?

You can use the Wii U GamePad mic, a headset, USB keyboard or a virtual keyboard in the game. I believe the GamePad mic and USB keyboard support is in a day one patch.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'm not.

ORDER NOW!!!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

These need to be in the game. These need to be played while you wait in the lobby.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I see someone in Moga Village finally got a phone.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Sloth Socks posted:

Tonight's the new GEARS OF WARRRRRRRGH launch, so you maaaay find a long line.

Woah! Didn't think I was going to get this game early, cause who would have a midnight opening for a Monster Hunter game? (Outside Japan) Looks like I found a loophole!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Unless they showed that in the review I don't think that's the case, and I surely hope it isn't.

Is there anything stopping you from immediately going online or transferring characters between consoles or is that all available when you finish the character creation?

It can't work this way because off-screen play won't even exist at launch.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
gently caress, I love me some MH, but I can't afford a WiiU currently. Right? Right. gently caress.

:negative:

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

X Ray Monster posted:

You can use the Wii U GamePad mic, a headset, USB keyboard or a virtual keyboard in the game. I believe the GamePad mic and USB keyboard support is in a day one patch.

Ah, that's actually pretty cool. I was fearing it would require an over-priced 'official head-set' of some sort.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I've been pronouncing Rathalos wrong all this time. :negative:

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Colbear posted:

I reserved a copy of the 3ds version at Gamestop and the guy who rang me up said I should show around 10pm to "finalize the transaction" and get my game right at midnight instead of waiting in line at midnight or whatever. He was fairly insistent about it.

Is it reasonable to assume that's bullshit and just show up around 11:45? The store is in the middle of a pretty large city and the last bus runs around 12:30.

Basically what the dude meant is even if you've paid off your copy, they still need to issue an actual receipt for the sale before they can hand out the game at midnight. Since Gears is driving enough pre-orders to justify a midnight release, there's probably going to be a crowd of people needing to get their receipts/pay off pre-orders. I doubt you'd need to show up at 10, but it would probably be a good idea to show up a little before 11:30 at least.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

X Ray Monster posted:

Speaking of which, it may have been discussed already but does anybody have experience using voice chat with the Wii U in general? A friend and I were stupid enough to buy Wii Speaks for the original Tri and holy hell those were a garbled, un-usable mess. Being able to play Monster Hunter multiplayer with some actual clarity and quality to the voice chat would be a dream.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Anyone have any tips for starting out with Sword and Shield? (Other than don't do it) I haven't played a MH since late second gen, but I loved the infighting playstyle the weapon has (and I was never a fan of how Dual Swords played).

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Speaking of which, it may have been discussed already but does anybody have experience using voice chat with the Wii U in general? A friend and I were stupid enough to buy Wii Speaks for the original Tri and holy hell those were a garbled, un-usable mess. Being able to play Monster Hunter multiplayer with some actual clarity and quality to the voice chat would be a dream.

johntv (8-4) said this on NeoGAF today.

quote:

Wii U ver. def. has voice chat support, no headset necessary. (I tried it the other night.)

Quality was def. much better than that WiiSpeak garbage, but keep in mind when I was playing there was literally like 5 people online in the world. Won't really know how it holds up until the game gets out into the masses this week.
So, I guess we'll find out how it goes when there's more people. At least it sounds like it will be decent quality.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The SnS is a weapon where you're going to do a lot of jumping in, weaving in and out, rolling out of your combos, and reinitiating a combo after you've rolled.

I think the longest combo is something like Jump Attack (unsheathe attack or X+A), then 4-5 presses of X, and finished with something like 2-3 presses of A without touching the analog stick. If you're holding forward with the Analog stick when you press A, you'll do a shield bash instead of the sword slashes.
Some people prefer to use the combo without the shield bash. One of the last hits in the X series of presses gets you a shield bash into a sword swing, so if you want, you can take out that X input and just go straight to the A inputs. Part of that is because the shield hit doesn't deal optimal damage and is also a bit slow to come out, so decide which way you prefer and go for it.

Roll whenever you need to roll, and try not to overcommit to a combo. If something is going to hit you, it's better to stop swinging than it is to attempt to get a trade hit.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blade is way too small for the size of the hilt. Disappointed. :v:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Riftling posted:

Anyone have any tips for starting out with Sword and Shield? (Other than don't do it) I haven't played a MH since late second gen, but I loved the infighting playstyle the weapon has (and I was never a fan of how Dual Swords played).

Go try the duals since the changes they made to them are night and day. It went from a weapon with retarded movesets to one of my favorites with how fun and aggressive they are.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WendigoJohnson posted:

I've been pronouncing Rathalos wrong all this time. :negative:

It seems like she pronounced it "Rothalos" but Rathian sounded right. How were you pronouncing it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just a head's up on the WiiU version, don't choose the dynamic HUD. Apparently there's no way to switch it off as of yet. It'll probably get patched soon though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the dynamic HUD even do?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

What's the dynamic HUD even do?

I'm not sure yet. A friend of mine who got his copy early told me about this.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
The 3DS version worth bothering with without a WiiU or is the meat in the online play? I don't have any friends with 3DSes.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Well, I've sunk 1000+ hours solo into unite and p3rd. There probably will be a few more brick difficulty walls than if you have buddies, but it should be doable, even if you have to resort to slime when they expect you to fight 2 g-rank jinougas who refuse to separate or whatever.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

It seems like she pronounced it "Rothalos" but Rathian sounded right. How were you pronouncing it?

Don't read too much into the pronunciation, because they didn't say azure correctly either. :colbert:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I don't have a Wii U or 3DS but all this excitement is making me fish out MHFU and get cracking all over again.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Speedboat Jones posted:

Don't read too much into the pronunciation, because they didn't say azure correctly either. :colbert:

This. The video is great but the actors weren't familiar with the material before being handed a script.

I always say "wrath-uh-los" and "wrath-ee-en" but I hear a lot of people say "Wraith-uh-los" and "Wraith-ee-en" so I'm not sure which is correct.

While I'm discussing this, I also say "Please-ee-oth" and I often hear "Pless-ee-oth." Verdict?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Funkmaster General posted:

This. The video is great but the actors weren't familiar with the material before being handed a script.

I always say "wrath-uh-los" and "wrath-ee-en" but I hear a lot of people say "Wraith-uh-los" and "Wraith-ee-en" so I'm not sure which is correct.

While I'm discussing this, I also say "Please-ee-oth" and I often hear "Pless-ee-oth." Verdict?

Wrath-uh-los and wraith-e-an here. I say Plesioth as piece-of-poo poo.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I also say "Please-ee-oth" and I often hear "Pless-ee-oth." Verdict?

Edoraz posted:

I say Plesioth as piece-of-poo poo.

It's pronounced "F I S H A S S H O L E".

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Monster Hunter has pretty entertaining solo play. I've sunk hundreds of hours into just hunting monsters by myself. Nothing beats playing with friends, but playing with random pubbies can be pretty hit or miss. On Tri, I generally just hunted alone for the challenge, only doing the online with random people if I wanted to clear some stuff quickly.

The game is more than worth getting just to play through solo.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ignimbrite posted:

It's pronounced "F I S H A S S H O L E".

I honestly don't know why people insist on spelling Fish rear end in a top hat as "Plesioth".

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Lazy Programming posted:

The 3DS version worth bothering with without a WiiU or is the meat in the online play? I don't have any friends with 3DSes.

Co-op is the way to go. Hunting with pals makes even the most frustrating quests fun. Having an online component just makes this more accessible. So not having the ability to go online with the 3DS version makes it entirely singleplayer if you don't have friends with 3DSes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lazy Programming posted:

Tri had some bosses that were Online only, no clue if this still applies here. Does anyone know if you can fight Jhen offline and vice versa for Ceadeus?

Please-ee-oth, because I'm assuming it's based off Plesiosaur. The real question, how do you pronounce Ceadeus?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sire Oblivion posted:

The real question, how do you pronounce Ceadeus?

I've switched between SEA-dayoos and SEA-dee-us.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
See-Deus

As in Sea God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I say wrath-uh-los and wraith-ee-en because I think they sound best that way. Also Please-ee-oth.

avlein posted:

See-Deus

As in Sea God.

I always thought the reasoning behind the name was more like cetacean-god.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 19, 2013

• Locked thread