Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vyxzuw posted:

Or people posting actual good fanart!

Seriously though, so you wouldn't care if people just filled this thread with people doing LPs of bad fanfiction?

I'm sure he wouldn't care if what people posted was funny and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Slowbeef, that first post was incredibly long. I dunno, maybe future updates could be trimmed down (if the tumblr guys do huge updates, then take one of theirs and split it down)

But you know what? Hell I appreciate this as a way to kill the downtime between cliffhangers. It should result in less 'what if she is taking an anime dump' posts and we can just discuss mocking this LP or hell, solve its 'mysteries'

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Chalk up another hater here. I don't mind people making fun of stuff on the internet if it is witty, funny, and you don't go on to personally contact and harass people on the internet merely for your amusement. If these rules aren't followed you're at danger of looking more like a bully than anything else, I'm not sure if that's exactly fair but that's the source of my annoyance even though I rationally think you haven't crossed any serious lines (maybe you're guilty of generalizing tumblr roleplayers or whatever, I'm sure there are several decent or good ones in what is otherwise a morass of awful, but megh).

I'm gonna keep an open mind and see if you get better. You guys have (I believe?) done a lot of podcasting together and I'm wondering if you're writing similar to how you would do a podcast out of habit. While a typical conversation of somewhat bland remarks between a few whoppers can work well in an audio podcast due to the ease of listening and the delivery of jokes by the podcasters, I feel that kind of thing can fall flat in written form.

Maybe consider editing out portions of it that don't add much next time? But if you're committed to that style then whatever, it's not like I'm forced to read it after all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

Vyxzuw posted:

Or people posting actual good fanart!

Seriously though, so you wouldn't care if people just filled this thread with people doing LPs of bad fanfiction?

So far there's literally only been two people making fun of one thing, calm down.

Also, I definitely like this better than the godawful meta speculations and seeing the same theories over and over because no one knows how to read the thread before posting.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rawkking posted:

Chalk up another hater here. I don't mind people making fun of stuff on the internet if it is witty, funny, and you don't go on to personally contact and harass people on the internet merely for your amusement. If these rules aren't followed you're at danger of looking more like a bully than anything else, I'm not sure if that's exactly fair but that's the source of my annoyance even though I rationally think you haven't crossed any serious lines (maybe you're guilty of generalizing tumblr roleplayers or whatever, I'm sure there are several decent and good ones in what is otherwise a morass of awful, but megh).

Oh god, we wouldn't want to be unfair to the esteemed community of tumblr roleplayers.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

CrashScreen posted:

But "people" aren't "filling it" with RPs of bad fanfiction. There's a limit to how many available posts there are to riff on, and it's just slowbeef and VoidBurger that are doing it. It's not like slowbeef didn't do his own parody LP thing in the last thread and was met with great reception or anyth-... oh.

I don't recall the parody LP in the last thread. So, I'll ask, was it a parody LP as in him pretending to do an LP of DR, or was it and actual LP of fanfiction?

I simply asked why he can't post it (or at least further updates) in the DR1 thread. Or create his own thread. (I get that he probably doesn't want a stream of threads being posted of people LPing bad fanfiction though, but the DR1 thread could still work.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vyxzuw posted:

I don't recall the parody LP in the last thread. So, I'll ask, was it a parody LP as in him pretending to do an LP of DR, or was it and actual LP of fanfiction?

I simply asked why he can't post it (or at least further updates) in the DR1 thread. Or create his own thread. (I get that he probably doesn't want a stream of threads being posted of people LPing bad fanfiction though, but the DR1 thread could still work.)

Naegi's letters home is I think what's being referred to, and those were hilarious.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

But "people" aren't "filling it" with RPs of bad fanfiction. There's a limit to how many available posts there are to riff on, and it's just slowbeef and VoidBurger that are doing it. It's not like slowbeef didn't do his own parody LP thing in the last thread and was met with great reception or anyth-... oh.

Honestly, IMO, the difference is that that was funny. I found this super boring and wound up scrolling through it. The other parody LP was also mocking elements of Dangan itself rather than mocking roleplayers on the internet; one of those topics is inherently engaging to readers of this LP and one isn't.

I'm all in favor of moving it to another thread, personally. To me, it's barely on topic (as is the discussion about it, as is this post, but oh well).

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Im just seeing rustled jimmies because you guys won't man up and say you want oren to not be afraid to double update occasionally (like the updates are longer text wise but content wise less seems to be going on)
I don't like DRzero nor did I stop and read everyone of slowbeefs updates in the last thread, but I also don't see this thread as some youtube comment box that I have to type in.

If you don't like it don't read it, simple as that. No ones face is being held to your computer monitor, and if it is you have more serious issues.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

If you don't like it don't read it, simple as that. No ones face is being held to your computer monitor, and if it is you have more serious issues.

While I'm all for his RP, I really hate this sentiment. Just like they're both criticising the Dead End roleplayers, they're also subject to criticism too. Let's not shy away from that.

zetsubous posted:

Honestly, IMO, the difference is that that was funny. I found this super boring and wound up scrolling through it. The other parody LP was also mocking elements of Dangan itself rather than mocking roleplayers on the internet; one of those topics is inherently engaging to readers of this LP and one isn't.

It's a matter of taste, really, but doing the application thing was a bit silly. They could have just done the first and second update and it'd have probably been much better received.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
Sigh, I'm just going to stop posting until HelloWinter posts fan art or Oren posts another update.

We've going from speculating on the case to arguing whether mocking bad fanfiction is mean or not. At least the speculation was somewhat relevant.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Wow, this is not what I expected to see when I saw 100+ new replies. :stare:

I've finally been going back and reading the DR0 updates and man, Junko is....... really something else. I feel like I should have all of her varied portraits from the game open in a side window to help remind me just how rapidly she shifts moods and tone. I've always wanted to try reading some light novels, yet if anything from DR0 I've learned I need to have huge chunks of them to read at once or my interest will wander off.

It's also really nice to have fully subbed trial videos right out the gate in the updates. I've been watching them pretty much exclusively so far, since I enjoy seeing the little surprises popping up during them rather than having to read them. You're totally rad for helping get those up, HelloWinter. :allears:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I agree, the trial videos are bitchin.

Hey Oren, any way we can get an uncut trials video at the beginning of the update? Or at least all of the links all at once? I don't have much use for the screenies when there's subbed videos.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

...Well then! I was expecting a lot of weird things coming out of this thread, but I can safely say that this was not one of them. :magical:

Personally, I'm looking forward to see just how horrible and/or hilarious these guys' attempts at replicating some of the game mechanics will get. That is, of course, assuming they don't merely put in a modicum of effort for the trials and nothing else, thus probably missing the point of both games entirely. poo poo, that's totally what's going to happen, isn't it

Still, for all the potentially awful characters Dead End is bound to have, I find it kind of charming in the same way I do for stuff like FIRE EMBLEM DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OSTIAN PRINCESS - tacky, low-effort and probably terrible, yet somehow consistently managing to out-do its own insanity that you just can't help but hop on and see just how far the crazy train goes.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Slowbeef and VoidBurger, that was amazing, please do more. It's the exact kind of stuff that got me on SA in the first place and I can't believe so many people are getting their panties in a bunch over it. This thread is usually an echo chamber of the same two theories over and over, with occasional derails about anime periods, so having something original to read here is already a huge breath of fresh air. The more original content, regardless of its source, the better.

Also, oren or HelloWinter, is there anyway to just get one long video per trial update? I usually watch these on my phone and it'd make it a lot easer than scrolling through a ton of slowly loading images to find six different links to minute long videos. If not, no worries, just a suggestion.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Vyxzuw posted:

That was interesting, but can you post that in the DR1 thread instead? Or create a new thread?

No.

This was absolutely the correct thread for it. Thank you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vyxzuw posted:

We've going from speculating on the case to arguing whether mocking bad fanfiction is mean or not. At least the speculation was somewhat relevant.

No, you can't bitch about that when you were one of the ones who started it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
It'd actually be funnier to post it by itself with maybe a few comments at the end next time than making essentially the same jokes all over, but maybe that is just me.
Screenshot commentary in-between every other sentence just breaks the flow too much.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Speaking from an internet RPers perspective, I think that the tumblr rp up there only barely even qualifies as an RP.

A mod going 'btw I actually control your characters whenever I need to kthnx' is something that rarely, if ever happens in any rp that I've seen... and never anything near this much. Judging from the way it's formatted and the rules and all of that, it looks like it's closer to some kind of fanfiction.net story where the author asked a bunch of people for character submissions, used the ones he likes, and then said 'btw you guys can totally write side stuff involving your characters if you want so long as it matches with my canon! comment plz kthnx :D :D :D'. The main difference is that it's on tumblr because you can get lots of fanart there, too.

But all of that gets away from the real point, which is that this RP RP is going to be amazing. Godspeed. :patriot:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I thought slowbeef's post was hilarious but let's wait until the next part before we pass judgement, the problem with it was that we didn't see enough of the roleplay since most of it was just set up.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I think when the actual SHSL Characters get introduced, people that think it's "too mean" will change their tune. It all looks innocent enough now, but they don't know what truly lies beneath.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Vyxzuw posted:

Or is hijacking an LP with your own LP a thing we do now?

Kinda? It's in a lot of LP threads and is generally called bonus content.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the RP, including the riffing on the whole rules setup. It didn't come off as "Hey guys aren't RPers weird?" so much as "Look how seriously they're taking a silly fanfiction/RP."

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami
What I am getting out of this is Everything On The Internet Is Sacred and that nothing is allowed even some honestly pretty drat gentle mockery. The retsuprae isn't suggesting that they're all losers who should kill themselves or something. VoidBurger even said not to go harass them and to leave them alone. No one says Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a horrible television program because it might hurt the moviemakers' feelings, and they were much more vicious than what was posted here. Unless the RP group specifically finds out about this and asks us to stop, I don't see a problem.

Now let's quit being babies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well, I was GOING to post my thoughts on the latest developments in the game, but...

The thread has now derailed and will remain derailed until Orenronen's next update. That said, I laughed. It very much reads like a good, proper Retsupurae. Well done.

But I still don't think it belongs here. Hopefully the next instalments won't cause as much of a fuss.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

But I still don't think it belongs here.

It really does belong here. Thank you. No more on that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Personally, I think slowbeef's commentary was trying a little too hard. I'm not opposed to mocking bad Internet RPing (and Dead End is certainly shaping up to be bad), but there's such a thing as too much commentary. Something genuinely so-bad-it's-good requires minimal commentary to be funny.

The implication that the mere fact that it's an Internet roleplay is the main thing that makes it mockable is also a bit strange on a site that has a subforum for play-by-post roleplaying.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 19, 2013

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

^^^ Pssst. Retsupurae began on Something Awful too. It's a thing where people make fun of Let's Plays. Believe it or not, there's a Let's Play subforum around here too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

^^^ Pssst. Retsupurae began on Something Awful too. It's a thing where people make fun of Let's Plays. Believe it or not, there's a Let's Play subforum around here too.

Yes, but that's not the same as mocking them simply for being Let's Plays in the first place.

It's a minor point, though, since slowbeef and VoidBurger were obviously being a bit hyperbolic there to begin with.

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Discussion -BREAK- vs. Discussion -MIX- (EDGE Version)

I think the word they're repeating is supposed to be "break" but I can't hear anything but "Kuwait"

Thanks for clearing things up. I was worried something was wrong with my audio or something, since it's such a slight difference.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

Man, you can make fun of whatever you want but it'd help if you actually showed the mockable parts first instead of posting waaaaaaaay too many words of setup first. Nothing really stood out in that post to me that was that much worse than what goon roleplayers post in the Trad Games forum.

Goons don't godmode though! :goonsay:

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Well, I definitely wasn't expecting this when I saw so many new posts.

The RP had some funny bits, but I'm gonna have to throw my hat in with the people saying it felt like it was trying a little too hard, and was overall more boring than funny. And, even though it wasn't the intent, it did come off like "Wow people roleplaying on the internet???? What weird creepy nerds." Voidburger's very first comment is basically that.

That Dead End blog is pretty silly, but most of the characters aren't so ridiculous. There's a couple with some crazy designs and really dumb personalities but, honestly? Nothing that much crazier than this game. Are most of the SHSL Talents stupid? Yeah. But in a school that allows "SHSL Gangster" I don't really have much room to say "Well that's just dumb why would you need a SHSL of that?" There was only one of the characters that I thought was 100% awful and pathetic.

The writing is what you'd expect - not very good but at least it looks like they run it through a spell check - it's dumb, but not anything on the level of "oh my god this is the most shameful thing in the world." And the art is actually decent. A lot of the character designs are pretty anime and questionable, but it's not like MS Paint art or anything.

Don't take this as me defending it or anything - it's pretty bad and very silly. But it's on a level of bad I'd call "average." Does it deserve being mocked? Sure. Is it worth mocking? I guess we'll see.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Yes, but that's not the same as mocking them simply for being Let's Plays in the first place.

It's a minor point, though, since slowbeef and VoidBurger were obviously being a bit hyperbolic there to begin with.

Uhh you know this Internet forum isn't some homogenous hive-mind, right? Just because there are dudes pretending to be elves and poo poo who happen to be on the same website doesn't mean we can't make fun of them for it as well.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I don't get the idea that it's ok to riff on let's plays but not roleplays. Like it's the same thing, you're poking fun at something creative somebody else made and put out for everyone to see. How is one ok while the other is not?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think people are forgetting the absurdity of the fact that people felt that a video game played by someone else on the internet was so meaningful for them that they actively desire to pretend that they're re-enacting an alternate version of that game with other people.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wind God Sety posted:

I don't get the idea that it's ok to riff on let's plays but not roleplays. Like it's the same thing, you're poking fun at something creative somebody else made and put out for everyone to see. How is one ok while the other is not?

Just to be clear, I never said this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Frankly, I can't wait for more. Those people deserve to be torn apart for rejecting my OC, SHSL Saiyan Gohan

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

Just to be clear, I never said this.

Nobody loving cares and it's frankly offensive that you find the need to prattle on and on about someone making fun of patently stupid bullshit. Do you even venture outside LP on this loving forum? Do you know what Something Awful is?

God the whining in the last few pages have been loving awful to read. Bad things are funny. Awful things are funnier. Making fun of those things helps it be funnier. We read an entertaining translation of a video game and we laugh at awful obsessive bullshit about this video game. That's the entire loving point.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Requested_Username posted:

I think people are forgetting the absurdity of the fact that people felt that a video game played by someone else on the internet was so meaningful for them that they actively desire to pretend that they're re-enacting an alternate version of that game with other people.

It's like adding another degree a separation. Play the game? I can't it's in Japanese, I'll just read this thread made by a guy who played it. What, not enough? Let's write up our own fiction and further distance ourselves from the source material by playing pretend with our 2 dimensional (both literally and figuratively) characters. I hope no one makes fun of us for it. :spergin:

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Frankly, I can't wait for more. Those people deserve to be torn apart for rejecting my OC, SHSL Saiyan Gohan

I'm gonna assume that he was a Super High School Level "Saiyan Gohan", that is, a leader in the field of Saiyan Gohans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CaptainFish posted:

I'm gonna assume that he was a Super High School Level "Saiyan Gohan", that is, a leader in the field of Saiyan Gohans.

How did you get my character sheet?!

• Locked thread