Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

I've swapped the helicopter rotate/turn keys from X & C to Q & E but E forces the helicopter into a dive and I can't figure out why, any suggestions?

I've found these settings to work like a charm for MKB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Pre-purchased, awww yeah! Is there any way I can use the alpha lite files to not download mostly everything again? Cause that is stupid.

Impulse 9
Jul 22, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I wish I could install both versions of the alpha side-by-side.

This is not hard to do if you make a mirror folder, and add in a steam_appid.txt (contents: 107410)
This is the same method you can use if you wish to run a server on your local machine to test/lan/etc.
Just keep the Steam version set to Dev Builds, and only backcopy to the non dev build when needed.
You would still need to run manual updates once the non dev fork is updated.

ACRE should be available/public (direct port) later this week or the next.
At present it works, but how items are added to gear is different for mission makers (additem vs addweapon).
No new features short of losing air when your underwater w/o breathing equipment if you were to talk (I do not know if the blowing bubbles effect was put in when talking underwater, yet.).

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ijyt posted:

Neato, much more control with the mouse as movement instead of keys.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Neato, much more control with the mouse as movement instead of keys.

You might have some trouble doing quick flares, but it definitely seems easier than clumsily trying to mash V and C for the pedals and Q and Z for collective.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/612760136842955544/E17CD99CF06EBFA1224BD2AAB8C965CE29C5FA99/

It seems that the Kirk Cameron Evolutionary Theory might be correct in ArmAverse

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

hailthefish posted:

You might have some trouble doing quick flares, but it definitely seems easier than clumsily trying to mash V and C for the pedals and Q and Z for collective.

I cant seem to make fast turn, testing this out in the Heli showcase, im pressing the pedal and tilting my chopper in the right direction, what gives?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
The rudder pedals will not turn you on their own if you are making any speed, really. To make a sharp turn, you need to bank your chopper and pull up gently while leaning on your rudder.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
I ordered a dedicated server today but vilayer is taking approximately 32 years to provision it.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Switched.on posted:

The rudder pedals will not turn you on their own if you are making any speed, really. To make a sharp turn, you need to bank your chopper and pull up gently while leaning on your rudder.

This. I find rudder pedals are mostly for keeping your nose pointed on your actual flight path at slower speeds as you'll tend to drift slightly coming out of turns that bleed a lot of airspeed.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MrDorf posted:

This. I find rudder pedals are mostly for keeping your nose pointed on your actual flight path at slower speeds as you'll tend to drift slightly coming out of turns that bleed a lot of airspeed.

Also for fine tuning when making gun runs.

Sharp turns are almost like an airplane in execution, roll and pull 'up' and give it a bit of rudder. Any abrupt change in direction will kill airspeed like crazy, so be careful and adjust as things unfold.

The slower you're moving, the stronger the effect of the rudder. If you're barely moving at all, you can use the pedals and rotate in circles. If you're moving really fast, they do fuckall.

Part of this is the helo has a natural tendency to want to face the direction it's moving if it's moving at any real speed, which can work for you and against you.

Practice, crash into trees, and enjoy Arma 3's new damage model. :getin:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone wondering re: Alpha Lite updates: Also, to clear things up re: the expiration dates on those invites:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 20, 2013

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Hybridfusion posted:

I ordered a dedicated server today but vilayer is taking approximately 32 years to provision it.

Just in time for the RC

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
If anyone wants an Alpha lite key, send a friend request to Kattesuppe on steam. I have one key left.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2013

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the feedback on Cold War Assault guys. It definitely starts slow, and I had to do the second scenario 3 times before I realized what the hell I was supposed to be doing, but god drat is it great fun. Other than the horrible cut scenes, which are actually entertaining in a B movie sort of way, I think the game has actually aged quite well. Even the graphics look fine to me. BTW, GlQuake blew my loving mind when it was released, so I think there is probably something to that generational gap theory. :)

Also, I have an Alpha lite key, add Happy Hedonist on steam and it's yours.

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!

ijyt posted:

I'll go ahead and quote this again because this scheme made landings and gunnery SO much easier for me. Thank you very much.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Can you edit the existing coop missions? This doesn't appear to work with the in-game button, and I can't find where they are stored.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ToasterOven posted:

I'll go ahead and quote this again because this scheme made landings and gunnery SO much easier for me. Thank you very much.

Happy to help!

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

Thanks for the feedback on Cold War Assault guys. It definitely starts slow, and I had to do the second scenario 3 times before I realized what the hell I was supposed to be doing, but god drat is it great fun. Other than the horrible cut scenes, which are actually entertaining in a B movie sort of way, I think the game has actually aged quite well. Even the graphics look fine to me.

Good lad. :-) CWC is damned great.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Operation Flashpoint CWC is great, of course. Someone commented the Rearmed2 mod for Arma 2, but it's incomplete... but you can try the Rearmed for Arma 1, which is complete, with the original and the Resistance campaigns, and with better graphics thanks to the Arma 1 engine!

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Operation Flashpoint CWC is great, of course. Someone commented the Rearmed2 mod for Arma 2, but it's incomplete... but you can try the Rearmed for Arma 1, which is complete, with the original and the Resistance campaigns, and with better graphics thanks to the Arma 1 engine!

That's about the only reason to reinstall ArmA. It's seriously an amazing mod. Kind of sad they don't want to leap to 3, but hey that's a poo poo ton of work and 3 feels so much different to the previous games.

I can keep 2 installed for my classic fix.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I reckon it was a bit of a masterstroke setting this in the near future because when things don't perform like they do in real life and spergs get upset BI can say hey, it's the future!

It will give them good creative license to change things for the purposes of gameplay balancing.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Some guy was hitting every server with some script tonight, the opposite of what was mentioned earlier in this thread, haha.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
After several instances of that I ended up playing "INSURGENCY ON STRATIS 5thSFG v0.55" on "5th Special Forces Group - Operations Server"... just disconnected after over two hours after I camped a guard tower in Camp Rogain with three OPFOR kills to my name there... only for a fellow BLUFOR to mistake me for one of them. :( On the other hand I made at least two kills elsewhere and we had three caches destroyed (one of which I participated in the securing thereof) so all in all that was a generally solid session thanks to my squad benefiting from having a good transport pilot.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Is anyone else struggling to get over 30fps no matter what settings you use in multiplayer? I'm having a hard time trying to do anything because of it as it turns everything into a clunky feeling mess.

No matter what settings I use my fps never changes from 25-30fps in multiplayer with occasional dips to < 10fps. Performance between Low settings and Ultra is virtually the same. My GPU usage never gets over 35-40% and just cruises along as if its stuck at idle, the core clock doesn't even boost up like it should be. I assume my CPU is doing the same as my case fan's never ramp up either but I'll have to check that. Messing around in the editor it blazes along fine at a constant 60fps+, I haven't tried the single player missions yet though, will give them a look tonight.

I spotted a bug report for the same issue but I was wondering if anyone has had/is having the same problem and has found a fix or workaround to improve it at all?

I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb RAM and a GTX670 if it helps.

FuzzyWuzzy
Jul 16, 2009
:dukedog:

Pinny posted:

No matter what settings I use my fps never changes from 25-30fps in multiplayer with occasional dips to < 10fps. Performance between Low settings and Ultra is virtually the same. My GPU usage never gets over 35-40% and just cruises along as if its stuck at idle, the core clock doesn't even boost up like it should be. I assume my CPU is doing the same as my case fan's never ramp up either but I'll have to check that. Messing around in the editor it blazes along fine at a constant 60fps+, I haven't tried the single player missions yet though, will give them a look tonight.

My GPU does the same. It never goes over 40%. My CPU gets used all the way up though

Arma 3 is still optimized like poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pinny posted:

Is anyone else struggling to get over 30fps no matter what settings you use in multiplayer? I'm having a hard time trying to do anything because of it as it turns everything into a clunky feeling mess.

I spotted a bug report for the same issue but I was wondering if anyone has had/is having the same problem and has found a fix or workaround to improve it at all?

Don't worry it's not your machine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Multiplayer FPS depends largely on the host's FPS. If they have poo poo fps, you'll need an amazing computer to not feel the fps drop, if even that's enough. That's why changing settings do nothing. As said before, it'll probably be way better once they release a proper dedicated server exe. This is pretty much why I can't be bothered to play at the moment.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
My brother made a time-lapse video of our 2 hour circus of incompetence escape from Stratis, which I guess is a good demonstration on how one man driving fast enough can overcome most obstacles. Somewhat decent showcase of the mission itself, although he is separated from the squad for a large portion up until the bloodbath at the airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsN5U9oep8I

It's not clear with his music but for most of the mission we were in a rolling gun battle, it was awesome.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 21, 2013

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Pinny posted:

I have very similar specs and consistently get at least 30FPS, even if the server is running poorly. Hop into #armagoons on SynIRC and ask around in there -- you may have some combination of settings that ARMA is choking on.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

My brother made a time-lapse video of our 2 hour circus of incompetence escape from Stratis, which I guess is a good demonstration on how one man driving fast enough can overcome most obstacles. Somewhat decent showcase of the mission itself, although he is separated from the squad for a large portion up until the bloodbath at the airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsN5U9oep8I

Haha, the helicopter bumping. Yesterday I was playing Wasteland and came across a chopper on its side just like that, was able to get in, everything was in the green. I didn't have any gear so didn't care if I died, and just hit the engines. The rotors spun up even though they were clipping through the ground, and I was able to jiggle the controls around until it popped up into the air, flew off just fine. I don't know if it spawned on a slope and slipped onto its side and maybe that's why I could fly it up out of the ground? Anyway next time just try to get in and fly it. Can't be any worse than what happens when you ram it.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
:siren: The details on the Goons vs. Germans event :siren:
It will be on Saturday at 19:00 UTC. There will be objective based PVP missions with no respawns. At 18:30 UTC we will be organizing the host. At this time you should gather in either the Goon mumble, or if you wish to play on the German team, on their Teamspeak. It is estimated they will have about 15 people attending, maybe 20.

Definite info from their side can be found here:
http://armed-assault.de/news/a3-tvt-event-2332013.html

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Cool! I'm a filthy euro, so that's a fine time to start the event. I might be up for it.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
Anyone else getting a 5.3GB(!) update coming through on Steam? (Dev build)

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

hazza posted:

Anyone else getting a 5.3GB(!) update coming through on Steam? (Dev build)

Only a 210 MB patch for me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Raneman posted:

:siren: The details on the Goons vs. Germans event :siren:
It will be on Saturday at 19:00 UTC. There will be objective based PVP missions with no respawns. At 18:30 UTC we will be organizing the host. At this time you should gather in either the Goon mumble, or if you wish to play on the German team, on their Teamspeak. It is estimated they will have about 15 people attending, maybe 20.

Definite info from their side can be found here:
http://armed-assault.de/news/a3-tvt-event-2332013.html

Dev or standard build?

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Are there no patch notes for these patches? I trolled the BI forums and no one there was even asking about it?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Vulcan posted:

Are there no patch notes for these patches? I trolled the BI forums and no one there was even asking about it?

They don't release them every time. Not really sure why other than the time involved not really being worth it with so many changes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

More dumb mission making questions!

So I've shamelessly stolen someone else's scripting and adjusted it to do what I want it to do. Which is spawn, and respawn, all players with the correct gear. What I'm trying to figure out now is how to add flashlights to everyone's gun when they spawn and respawn.

Here's what I'm working with now in the mission"s init.sqf
code:
removeAllWeapons player; 
	player unassignItem "NVGoggles";
	player removeItem "NVGoggles";
	switch (side player) do {
		case blufor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",8],["HandGrenade",2],

["SmokeShellGreen",2],["UGL_FlareGreen_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_MX_GL_F"];
			};
		case opfor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green",8],["HandGrenade",2],

["SmokeShellRed",2],["UGL_FlareRed_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_Khaybar_GL_F"];
		};	
	};
	if ((str player) in ["b1","b2","o1","o2"]) then {cul_wep = cul_wep + 

["itemGPS","Binocular"];};
	{player addMagazines [_x select 0,_x select 1];}Foreach cul_mags;
	{player addWeapon _x} forEach cul_wep;
	player addItem "FirstAidKit";
	player selectWeapon (cul_wep select 0);;

player addEventHandler ["Respawn",
	{
		(_this select 0) spawn {
			sleep 120;
			hidebody _this;
			sleep 5; 
			deleteVehicle _this;
		};
		removeAllWeapons player;
	}];
};
At the moment I'm just spawning players next to a box with a thousand flashlights in it, but I'd like a more elegant solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

More dumb mission making questions!

So I've shamelessly stolen someone else's scripting and adjusted it to do what I want it to do. Which is spawn, and respawn, all players with the correct gear. What I'm trying to figure out now is how to add flashlights to everyone's gun when they spawn and respawn.

Here's what I'm working with now in the mission"s init.sqf
code:
removeAllWeapons player; 
	switch (side player) do {
		case blufor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",8],["HandGrenade",2],

["SmokeShellGreen",2],["UGL_FlareGreen_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_MX_GL_F"];
			};
		case opfor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green",8],["HandGrenade",2],

["SmokeShellRed",2],["UGL_FlareRed_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_Khaybar_GL_F"];
		};	
	};
	if ((str player) in ["b1","b2","o1","o2"]) then {cul_wep = cul_wep + 

["itemGPS","Binocular"];};

player addEventHandler ["Respawn",
	{
		(_this select 0) spawn {
			sleep 120;
			hidebody _this;
			sleep 5; 
			deleteVehicle _this;
		};
		removeAllWeapons player;
	}];
};
At the moment I'm just spawning players next to a box with a thousand flashlights in it, but I'd like a more elegant solution.
Maybe try putting the following after player addItem "FirstAidKit";
code:
 player addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";