Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Trigramatic posted:

I understand that Donuts broke his glasses yesterday. He insists that he had them fixed, but to watch Wei Shen in Burnout Paradise, it's hard to believe him. :smuggo:

:negative:

Well, if that didn't satisfy all of you and your bloodlusts, maybe this will:

:siren:Video 5: LEG BREAKER (with JossiRossi):siren:

This is probably my favorite video that Rossi and I have ever done, and I'm super happy with the commentary and comedy that came out during it. I hope you guys find it as funny as I did. And I mean that bit at the end, by the way! If you haven't jumped on the sales that have been littering the thread, check out the video for how you can try to get a copy of Sleeping Dogs off of me!

I'm typing this in a hurry before work, so when I get back I'll update the second post with that new Police Report we got. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
All those poor legs. :ohdear:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Whoa, free game? Sounds good to me.

The truth is, Wei Shen is the HKPD's best entry into the triads because he's their ONLY lead into the triads. Any time the cops find a new recruit for going undercover, Wei finds out, and sooner rather than later they have a little...accident.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Let's take a look at the rest of the Hong Kong Police force: In the last video, 2 police officers got murdered by getting rammed by a loving van. They were the only 2 sent out to deal with a stolen watch shipment/gang battle in which 7 people died. Would you like to know why Wei Shen gets to be an undercover cop? Given the other cops in the game, who would you trust to be bloodthirsty and heartless enough to emphatically murder dozens upon dozens of thugs. Nobody. Wei Shen is the only man for the job, he's the only one who has the necessary skills perform a drug bust, then 5 minutes later throw a knife into someone's chest. He's the only cop with the Chutzpah to loving perform a delicate undercover mission while wearing boxer shorts and a pig mask. When you're invading a gang syndicate as dangerous as the triads, do you know what guy I want in there? I want the guy who looks at the assault rifle on his kitchen counter, and goes "No, I'll just smash their knees into tiny pieces instead."

Wei Shen is 20% Jimmy McNulty, 30% Jack Slate, and 50% Kratos.

SaberToothedPie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 20, 2013

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
For future reference, you can also ram straight forward instead of trying to do it from the side.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
Officer Shen strolled into the police department in a way he had a thousand times before: coated in gore from head to toe; wearing nothing but his handy utility briefs; and wearing his pig mask. Always that goddamn pig mask. Uncaring porcelain eyes shot out a glare like bullets as he walked into the lobby. Did he wear it as a joke? Did he think this whole thing was a big game? Or was there something darker about the whole ordeal?

Officer Lee, currently working at the reception, wondered these questions as Wei walked into the building, not saying a word. He wished he could do something about this man. He had heard stories about Wei when he was in the academy, about how he had been a good cop, always doing the right thing and standing up for others. He had been a god drat hero cop until something just… snapped in him. Or maybe it was something resembling super sanity where he had been so involved in all of this gang activity that he didn’t know how to do anything else. Either way, Wei was not the man he used to be; he was a dark and brutal man who did dark and brutal things. He had heard the story about how a drunken man had posed in front of a picture Wei took and how he reacted. Lee understood that Chinese policing was a bit more on the physical side – maybe a punch or a hit of the baton would send the man running. Wei took a different approach; Wei snapped his leg like a twig in a public space while people screamed and shouted in panic. He crippled a drunk for his amusement, but he didn’t stop there. Wei lifted the man up, set the bones back in place without any first aid training, and then snapped it all over again. For five minutes straight he crippled this man over and over again. When the ambulance got there they couldn’t save it - it was a broken toy of a leg that looked like a tree branch. Lee had of course seen videos of bone breaking in the academy, in order to train rookies like him to handle violent confrontations, but that sound. The sound of bone and sinew giving way to a foot was something that made him quezy. It must have been music to Wei.

To the young rookie, he had seen enough action movies to know that people had a more action oriented view of what policing was, and in reality, he knew that some of that stuff had long lasting consequences: Suspension, dismissal, charges, jail. A man could get into a lot of trouble for mistreating the people he had been sworn to protect, which was an irony that Lee pondered when he had seen some of Shens work in the staff room. Some tabloid pictures had been on the lunch table, “GHOST PIG STRIKES AGAIN" they said, and what he had seen was horrifying: a man had his head turned to paste in a car door; a man was in a wheelchair because a phone had been used to push his vertebrae out of place; a man had been pushed through a ventilation shaft and fan, and his legs hung out like limp noodles. Wei had done this all, and here he was. Wei was for some reason still a cop. Lee didn’t notice that Wei had made his way over to the desk. Christ he was looking at him . Those eyes told Lee a thousand ways Wei had already pondered how to maim him. He hit the button as fast as he could to buzz him in. Not a word spoken – Wei walked in.

Why in gods name was this man still here on the force? He had killed people, and not in a way that could be labeled as self defense. His car outside was even a testament to it – it was rammed against the wall of the station with a little old lady pinned between the car and the building. She was like a hood ornament, or maybe a trophy, to what Wei had done. When Lee saw it on the camera he had told his superior, and then the chief when he was told off. The chief laughed it off: “Shen is a novel officer Lee, and I do not permit these baseless accusations towards the force” he had said. He had tried to do something, but for gods sake no one seemed to listen. Internal affairs did nothing either – they swept everything under the rug - and why didn’t they do anything? Wasn't it their job?

Lee had taken an oath to protect these people, and the biggest irony he realized was that he wanted to save them from one of his own. Wei should have been arrested, or shot like a rabid animal, but he knew that it was fear that kept everyone in line: Everyone in the HKPD was scared about what Officer Shen could do if given reason. He was chaos given form. Undercover of course, technically no one was supposed to know that he was an officer, but Wei had come and gone from this station so many times, talkign to that British man that literally every officer on the force knew that he was a cop. They were scared, and when Wei walked by after one of his rampages they put their heads in their hands and mumbled. They all knew that, and as long as Wei thought he was invincible he would keep doing the things he did. There was even a rumor that he had a trunk full of broken glass, and that when he was off duty he’d put them in boxes around the city just so he could throw people into them. The officer that told that joke was found in a box of glass and was on medical leave for the next 6 months.

Some time passed, and after a good 10 minutes Wei walked to the exit of the station. His stared straight ahead, with the now dried blood caking his body and flaking off as he went to the door. He reached to open it, and then suddenly turned and stared at Lee. Just stared at him. That pig mask burned into Lees soul – it told him to stop looking into the things Wei had done, or else.
Lee stared right back. He knew what the consequences would be if he continued, but he had to stop this man.

Jesus Christ Wei Shen, what are you?

Electric Slug fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 21, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Electric Slug posted:

给力,给力,真给力。

喂,电蛞哥,我觉你真会赢了。。。 顶!

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
When they heard Wei was coming back to Hong Kong, the police realized they had only two options. Let him work on the police force killing pedestrians, causing property damage, and lowering their reputation; or they could aim him at their enemies and at least some of those who got hurt would be criminals.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Leg break is the best move in the game, the noise is just so . . . satisfying in a really awful way.

This is the first LP video in a while to make me laugh out loud, so you two definitely did something right!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sleeping Dogs actually has a nice balance, clothing wise. You can have full on Hotline Miami nuttiness, like we've been seeing, but it's also pretty easy to put together more normal looking bad outfits, and some actually pretty sweet ensembles that fit the cutscenes and overall tone. (Though I did get annoyed that the default jacket is way cooler than almost every other low-level top.)

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I lost it when you started breaking that poor guy's leg over and over. Game of the Year indeed.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Gaz-L posted:

Sleeping Dogs actually has a nice balance, clothing wise. You can have full on Hotline Miami nuttiness, like we've been seeing, but it's also pretty easy to put together more normal looking bad outfits, and some actually pretty sweet ensembles that fit the cutscenes and overall tone. (Though I did get annoyed that the default jacket is way cooler than almost every other low-level top.)
Speaking of, I kind of feel it's time for a costume change. Pig mask, rip-ped abs and boxers are cool and all, but there is a lot of clothing and special outfits to show off, it would be a shame not to.

Leg break is the best, a good follow-up move for later is the arm break. Twice the crippling effect!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The reason for Wei being on the force is quite simple, really.

Only a true psychopath can hunt other psychopaths. He has a connection to their mind and methods. Only he is able to exhibit the same kind of behavior. A normal undercover cop would hesitate to just break the legs of a random person. That would blow his cover. But Wei does it in a heartbeat, and only to warm up. He gains the trust and respect of other psychopaths by out-brutalizing them. Why only break legs, when you also can smash the person with a shutter afterwards? Or throw them of a roof, in a dumpster or cave their skull in with a telephone? He goes were the normal psychopaths won't go, like a pioneer of brutality. And he is creative with violence, the only language his targets understand. So, what is usually seen as a mental illness, can also be seen as a gift in that regard. A normal person couldn't carry such a heavy burden. Wei is blessed to have a mind that can cope with, and even enjoy, the amounts of intense violence he sees daily. He is a true hero.

Much like Blade, who is a Vampire that fights Vampires, Wei is a psychopath that fights psychopaths. The Daywalker of the Hongkong police force.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Wei Shen is allowed on the police force because he's the cheapest employee available. Wei gets most of his money comes from the Triads, and the police department doesn't have to insure him, so when Wei goes on a prolonged rampage he's not costing the department anything.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Barf Wight posted:

Speaking of, I kind of feel it's time for a costume change. Pig mask, rip-ped abs and boxers are cool and all, but there is a lot of clothing and special outfits to show off, it would be a shame not to.

Leg break is the best, a good follow-up move for later is the arm break. Twice the crippling effect!

I agree, let's move on to a more plausible outfit. Take everyone's favorite sensibly-dressed Hong Kong action antagonist, Mad Dog.

how about a windbreaker, plaid shirt and blue jeans with an eye patch and fingerless gloves? AK-47 sold seperately.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's no need for fancy explanations why a psychopath like Wei Shen is still employed by the HKPD and allowed to roam free, hurting gang members and innocents alike with no regard to the law, decency or compassion for his fellow man. They're all terrified of him.

Would you honestly even try to stop a man who thinks nothing of breaking a man's leg SIX TIMES in one fight?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Wei Shen is modeled after the classic John Woo protagonist.

In the Hong Kong of Woo's invention, the police are no more or less noble than anyone else, which with Woo is to say none too noble. The force tends to be mostly incompetent, cowardly of body if not of spirit, or on the take. The few men who still have both conscience and the desire to effect change are often hamstrung by departmental regulation and dirty cops, which are advantages for the criminal element. They need men like Wei Shen who both come with bloody hands and are ready to get them bloodier, and dirtier. In a Woo movie the enemy is better armed, more creative, and for the most part inured to the suffering of innocents.

A man with a prima donna attitude towards violence or the letter of the law is ill-equipped to battle them. If you send a paladin into a den of thieves, be prepared to collect his armor the next day from the closest fence.

Wei's psychopathic tendencies are also a staple of the Woo hero/anti-hero. Woo makes a point of having those who would do "evil" and those who would do "good" separated by little more than motive. His good guys often walk on screen out of some dark childhood or deeply conflicted and morally grey circumstance. Their lives are often ones of unremitting danger and violence punctuated by brief moments of beauty or deep regret. And his bad guys often have laudable and sometimes touching and fierce sentiments. Many hold a strong code of honor -one gets the feeling but for happenstance and a few tough choices in each of the two lives, their positions could easily be reversed. The more psycho the cop and the more businesslike the criminal, the narrower and deeper the divide.

This is a standard theme in "hero" stores, probably best summed up in Gardner's GRENDEL but common in the literature from STAR WARS to DEXTER to PARADISE LOST. The ability to effect change in the universe or oneself requires passion, intelligence, strength, and ambition. The ability to exercise these in striving upwards to the light also infers a similar capability to dive deep, sometimes until one is covered in lake-bottom muck and bones. Woo is clearly in love with this concept, in love with any soul in danger of being broken or redeemed, and very much so in love with violence.

If you were going to make homage to the men who populate his front lines, you could do no better than Wei in this game as played by Chocolate Donuts.

Sadly, this tale is not as entertaining as the other stories about Wei. It has the advantage of cleaving more closely to the truth, but, as with Woo and SLEEPING DOGS, the truth often has less to offer than a pleasing fiction.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Wei's psychotic behaviour and wanton violence is the perfect cover! Nobody would believe Wei is a cop because most cops have a line that they draw, but Wei Shen is perfectly fine with running around Hong Kong half-naked in a pig mask, and breaking the legs of his neighbours (barefoot, no less) before turning in for the night. The last thing anybody expects him to be is a member of the police force.

That would be silly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Casualty posted:

I agree, let's move on to a more plausible outfit. Take everyone's favorite sensibly-dressed Hong Kong action antagonist, Mad Dog.

how about a windbreaker, plaid shirt and blue jeans with an eye patch and fingerless gloves? AK-47 sold seperately.

I actually think the only issue with this is windbreaker and shirt being mutually exclusive, otherwise, this is probably doable, though might require some Face grinding (via face-grinding).

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Wei Shen probably just broke the police chief's leg repeatedly like in the video until he gave him a badge and the assignment. Learning it in game is just a formality. How did he get to the chief? Broke everyone else's leg along the way. Wei's path to glory is built on the blood and tears of broken men and women, lying down because they cannot walk. Their legs destroyed by Wei's brutality. No matter how you slice it, it's broken legs all the way down.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chocolate Donuts posted:

:negative:

Well, if that didn't satisfy all of you and your bloodlusts, maybe this will:

:siren:Video 5: LEG BREAKER (with JossiRossi):siren:

Hey you got a Cop upgrade and didn't tell us. I'm on to your tricks. :colbert:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So I've started playing this finally, and so far have only discovered three things I'm not terribly fond of.

Shift-to-aim is an obvious mechanical problem with the keyboard/mouse controls, but I can live with that, I suppose.

Driving controls are rather... aggressive, when using the keyboard, as well. It's relatively tough to move with any degree of precision.

The biggest annoyance for me, though, is that "while driving" conversations are a lot longer than the distances you have to travel, with no "log" of the dialogue (unless I've missed it) that you've overshot, a la LA Noire.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and would never have turned it on were it not for this LP.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I always assumed that the San Fran police had also witnessed Wei's brutality and were trying to get rid of him. They talked about how great he was and traded him off to the HKPD. Once in Hong Kong his new colleagues realized that Wei wasn't a good undercover cop - he was a force of nature, a whirlwind of destruction and broken bones that isn't confined by rules of law. He isn't assigned a case so much as unleashed on an unsuspecting enemy. Now the Chief Inspector can only hope to keep him focused on the Triads and minimize the collateral damage to the populace and even his own officers. Also there's probably a deal in the works to trade Wei to the LAPD, because they'd have no problem with a guy who breaks an innocent guy's leg six time in a fight (then once more afterwards just because). And I already have a copy of the game so those are just my thoughts.

This video was fantastic. The timing of the umbrella exchange had me rolling. I knew what was coming but it was still perfect. And gently caress that fight for the watches. I jumped into that way to early and had tons of trouble finishing the fight. I almost stopped playing right there.

Biggums
Oct 7, 2012

Who could have Murdered this Terrorist?
Well, it's obvious that the reason Wei hasn't been arrested for mass genocide is because he is in an underground bunker made specifically for him with a Hong Kong aesthetic. Everyone else is an actor hired by the FBI to keep Wei hidden in this place miles underground in an attempt to stop him from destroying the rest of the world.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

So I've started playing this finally, and so far have only discovered three things I'm not terribly fond of.

Shift-to-aim is an obvious mechanical problem with the keyboard/mouse controls, but I can live with that, I suppose.

Driving controls are rather... aggressive, when using the keyboard, as well. It's relatively tough to move with any degree of precision.

The biggest annoyance for me, though, is that "while driving" conversations are a lot longer than the distances you have to travel, with no "log" of the dialogue (unless I've missed it) that you've overshot, a la LA Noire.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and would never have turned it on were it not for this LP.

For what it's worth, I believe if you have a Ps3 or Xbox 360 controller you can plug them into your computer's USB port and use them as your control device. Might make things easier. I just bought the game today and have been playing with my PS3 controller and while the driving is difficult, it's probably more my own bad driving skills as I tend to be horrible at all games with driving sections.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I just want to say one thing.

...gently caress Woo Long Underpass gang SO HARD, I loving hate you, you made me lose TEN THOUSAND loving DOLLARS and I will murder the poo poo out of anyone with a knife ever again.

...so yeah I bought the game like TODAY and holy poo poo you guys were not kidding about how fun it is. I'm right up to where you guys are as well so I'm basically playing along with you. Keep it up gang! I'm also really glad that you sucked at your cop score in this because I did too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I use my 360 controller to play this game. I like my precision driving and flailing randomly when against enemies.

Ironically I use the tackle move you got in the video before the knee breaking one way too often. It's hilarious to me to jump on a dude, have him on the ground, then go to his buddy and break his leg.

And of course playing as Son Wukong, makes me able to go all Goku on enemies and smack em with my magical staff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even if it isn't really a True Crime game I can see why they slotted it into that franchise, because True Crime: Streets of LA was a pretty good combo of different game types: sandboxy crime drama, with gunplay-based missions or martial arts-based missions. That's, more or less, the same genre this final product is.

It's not like they had Grand Theft Auto and decided to turn it into a Pokemon clone.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Okay!

First, I want to say that there are some really great submissions here and you're all making it very hard to pick someone, so I'm throwing in a second place prize to make things easier on myself, and in honor of Instant Grat and JossiRossi's jokes, I'm going to make it a copy of Hotline Miami (or whatever other ten dollar steam game the person wants, if Hotline Miami is something they already own.)

Second, I realize I didn't name a deadline, so we'll go with Noon EST on Friday, March 22. That gives plenty of time for more people to watch the video and get an entry in. :v: Sorry I forgot to put one in before now!

FinalGamer posted:

...gently caress Woo Long Underpass gang SO HARD, I loving hate you, you made me lose TEN THOUSAND loving DOLLARS and I will murder the poo poo out of anyone with a knife ever again.

:v: There are a number of drug busts that are really hard, because they get weapons! Most of the ones in drainage areas and a few of the ones in later parts of HK are actually armed with guns, which can get hairy if you show up without one, although the drainage areas usually have a pistol laying around. I'll be sure to record some of these busts, maybe with some commentary if it seems like it'll work out well- who knows.

Doobie Keebler posted:

This video was fantastic. The timing of the umbrella exchange had me rolling. I knew what was coming but it was still perfect. And gently caress that fight for the watches. I jumped into that way to early and had tons of trouble finishing the fight. I almost stopped playing right there.

Aw, thanks. :3:

The fight is actually made a lot harder if you go into it without a clear understanding of how dangerous the weapon-dudes really are, too. If this is your first time dealing with more than one of them at once they will absolutely destroy you until you learn to be careful with how you fight them.

Toffile posted:

Hey you got a Cop upgrade and didn't tell us. I'm on to your tricks. :colbert:

:smith: gently caress.

Yeah I did, and I totally forgot to mention it. This is a really useful upgrade called the Slim Jim, that allows you to break into cars without breaking their windows. It's silent and fast and doesn't trigger alarms, which makes it arguably more useful than the quick disarm (depending on how often you fight enemies who are susceptible to it.) I'll put a video of it up later tonight or tomorrow before work.

The Casualty posted:

...how about a windbreaker, plaid shirt and blue jeans with an eye patch and fingerless gloves? AK-47 sold seperately.

I'll look into it, but in addition to the windbreaker and shirt being more or less mutually exclusive, there is (to my knowledge) not a single eyepatch to be found. I can, however, get a surgical-style face mask. While I have a few specific outfits I want to use at specific times, I'm open to input as always, and I don't mind just coming up with casual looking outfits to show off the game's style.

JossiRossi posted:

All those poor legs. :ohdear:

You love it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
As a child, Wei watched the Shakespeare play 'As You Like It' and terribly, terribly misinterpreted how to help people out in life. That's why the cops keep him on: he means well.

Said play has the line, "All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players", and one of the ways to wish someone well before a play is 'Break a leg'.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

:v: There are a number of drug busts that are really hard, because they get weapons! Most of the ones in drainage areas and a few of the ones in later parts of HK are actually armed with guns, which can get hairy if you show up without one, although the drainage areas usually have a pistol laying around. I'll be sure to record some of these busts, maybe with some commentary if it seems like it'll work out well- who knows.
Yeaaaah I learnt that the hard way in Aberdeen. Being Scottish I know exactly how it feels to lose money in Aberdeen :v: I mean it's not BORDERLANDS bad in terms of how much money is taken from you whenever you end up in hospital (GTA rules, bit of money is taken off you whenever you "die", so hopefully you never have to die for your craft in showing this off ever), but STILL.

I would not let that thing lie and after five or six attempts, I finally managed to do it. Not the armed guys, but a bunch of guys with knives somewhere else underneath one of the underpasses in the Aberdeen area. gently caress :cripes:
Still enjoying the game though no doubt about it, and totally loving your playthrough of it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FinalGamer posted:

Yeaaaah I learnt that the hard way in Aberdeen. Being Scottish I know exactly how it feels to lose money in Aberdeen :v: I mean it's not BORDERLANDS bad in terms of how much money is taken from you whenever you end up in hospital (GTA rules, bit of money is taken off you whenever you "die", so hopefully you never have to die for your craft in showing this off ever), but STILL.

I would not let that thing lie and after five or six attempts, I finally managed to do it. Not the armed guys, but a bunch of guys with knives somewhere else underneath one of the underpasses in the Aberdeen area. gently caress :cripes:
Still enjoying the game though no doubt about it, and totally loving your playthrough of it.

It's totally permissible to run people over after a while :v:

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Tin Tim posted:

The reason for Wei being on the force is quite simple, really.

Only a true psychopath can hunt other psychopaths. He has a connection to their mind and methods. Only he is able to exhibit the same kind of behavior. A normal undercover cop would hesitate to just break the legs of a random person. That would blow his cover. But Wei does it in a heartbeat, and only to warm up. He gains the trust and respect of other psychopaths by out-brutalizing them. Why only break legs, when you also can smash the person with a shutter afterwards? Or throw them of a roof, in a dumpster or cave their skull in with a telephone? He goes were the normal psychopaths won't go, like a pioneer of brutality. And he is creative with violence, the only language his targets understand. So, what is usually seen as a mental illness, can also be seen as a gift in that regard. A normal person couldn't carry such a heavy burden. Wei is blessed to have a mind that can cope with, and even enjoy, the amounts of intense violence he sees daily. He is a true hero.

Much like Blade, who is a Vampire that fights Vampires, Wei is a psychopath that fights psychopaths. The Daywalker of the Hongkong police force.

Basically, he's Dexter if he was from Hong Kong.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, totally gonna buy a copy of this game.

(And I have Dark Souls in my Xbox right now, too... drat.)

Problem is, my PC won't run it, so I need the Xbox version. Gonna buy it with my tax return. So, not gonna bother entering, but the reason Wei Shen is on the police force is because he will do the leg breaker.

Edit: I fully expect there to be a whole line of "breaker" moves, including a Bane-on-Batman style backbreaker and a neck-snap.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Edit: I fully expect there to be a whole line of "breaker" moves, including a Bane-on-Batman style backbreaker and a neck-snap.

There's only one other 'breaker' move, although it's still fun to use. That said, the final melee skill is called Dim Mak, so rest assured that we're in for a good time anyway.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
When Shen's sister died of a heroin overdose and his mother committed suicide, Wei Shen finally went over the edge. He tortured and executed the drug dealer who had sold the fatal dose to Mimi, and, after there was a lack of evidence for internal affairs to hit him, found that this new way of fighting crime was correct. He learned of his love for destroying peoples' knees, running people walking peacefully on the side walk down, and jumping from car to car to get a new ride. But further than that, he found that the one way to remove the people from the streets who would sell drugs and order hits on people was to remove those people from life. After his stint as the vigilante "Vaguely Racist Asian Man" failed, he decided that working undercover in the cops was the best way to go. As we have all seen... it truly is the best way (for us)!

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
The hazy coffee shop wasn't very busy at this hour. Three patrons sat at different tables: a middle aged man sat by the counter with his face buried in a book that appeared to be a schlocky young adult novel well below his demographic, a young college age girl leaned against the wall and tinkered on her phone as the temperature of her latte slowly fell, and a dark-haired englishman by the door impatiently stirred his one-cream one-sugar cup. The two attendants behind the counter broke conversation when the door opened, revealing a medium build man, soaked from the downpour occurring outside. Performing a cursory glance around the establishment, he gave an acknowledging glance to the englishman before closing the door behind him and approaching the counter.

A few moments later the wet gentleman sat across from the dark-haired man with a cup belching steam.

"Tea? I thought you were a coffee man." grumbled the man between sips of his one-cream one-sugar.

"I don't do caffeine anymore. Bad for the heart."

"Tea has caffeine."

"Not as much."

"I thought it was a health concern. You don't like decaf?"

"I like tea."

The curt dismissal in the wet man's tone lingered in the air for just a moment before he began again. "We've had 528 claims reported in the past 15 days."

"I thought I told him to keep it subtle."

"Well, it seems your boy's got a flair for theatrics, and he's gotten very much into character. 221 of these claims have been for broken limbs, 104 for head trauma, 77 were for electrical burns, and the other 126? Down at the office we like to use the general catch-all of "tenderized meat."

"How many have you filled?"

"Thirty-seven. The rest have had their policies changed or terminated. And the new premiums, copays, and deductibles on those who collected? Well, you should see my new office. It works out real well when HKPD had your client in custody when they're attempting to file a claim."

"You know we've let most of those guys go, right? Wei can't tell a perp from a pork bun."

"Doesn't matter. Wrong place, wrong time, HKPD says you goofed and your claim's denied. Just came from an interview with a client, her husband's in rough shape but nothing we can do. You should see the car they have though, I'm sure they can find the money somewhere."

"Harsh."

"You're breaking my heart. It's the job, and business is good." A small, overfilled manila envelope is moved from the wet man's coat to the table.

"This is what I asked for, right?"

"Yeah."

"From the sounds of things, I should be asking for more. I don't know where that drat fool Raymond is but things are certainly not under the radar."

"Hey now, just ride the wave. IA hasn't sniffed this out yet, have they?"

"You'll be the first to know."

The dark-haired man allowed the dismissal a second to connect before taking the envelope and finishing his coffee. "Good talking to you again. Two weeks?"

The wet man nodded. "Two weeks. See you then, Tom."

tehspiekguy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 21, 2013

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
This is one of the best LP's i've seen, good work guys. Just chiming into to say how much i've been loving this game, i'm a little way further on and am going to have to hammer through some more this weekend so that I can stay ahead.

TheGoatFeeder fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 21, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all are really thinking way too much into this whole undercover cop thing. The truth is just that Asians believe that blood type is a huge indicator for personality.

Wei is type AB-, the rarest blood type in the world. Only .1% of Asians have that blood type. Please see this image for a good summary:

In case it's hard to read I'll quote it:

fact posted:

Blood Type AB:
Best Traits: Cool, controlled, empathic, introverted and rational.
Worst Traits: Aloof, critical, indecisive and unforgiving.
Referred to as ‘humanists’, Type AB’s are said to be controlled more by their heads, than by their hearts. They are rational, good with money, but unpredictable. Although inclined to be distant, they prefer harmony and as such, work well with mediators. Some consider them two-faced, and therefore untrustworthy. AB- (the rarest of blood types) is the optimal blood for undercover police.

The number of Asians who are remotely qualified for undercover police work in Hong Kong is one. Wei is the only cop with the correct blood type. Clearly reports of his brashness are overstated since, as you can see, they are good mediators and are levelheaded. The only downside is that clearly Wei must tell his peers in the Triad that he is a type O so there may be trouble if he ever gets a transfusion. You can't argue with scientific fact.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
There won't be any trouble. AB-people are universal receivers so as long as he gets his Rhesus group right, he's in the clear.

• Locked thread