Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo, all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
So, wait, you're asking why a psychopath makes for a good cop?

The question answers itself.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

TheGoatFeeder posted:

This is one of the best LP's i've seen, good work guys. Just chiming into to say how much i've been loving this game, i'm a little way further on ***** and am going to have to hammer through some more this weekend so that I can stay ahead.

I'm glad you're enjoying the LP, but can I ask you to edit that spoiler out? I know you tagged it, but it's a major setpiece and I'd rather keep things like that as much of a potential surprise as possible. :shobon:

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying the LP, but can I ask you to edit that spoiler out? I know you tagged it, but it's a major setpiece and I'd rather keep things like that as much of a potential surprise as possible. :shobon:

Not a problem, it's done! Sorry about that.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Atomikus posted:

There won't be any trouble. AB-people are universal receivers so as long as he gets his Rhesus group right, he's in the clear.

Even if you are a Universal Receiver/AB, It's better to have a Blood Transfusion with Plasma that matches your blood type. Using one other then your blood type is really risky and not good for you. It's more of last minute choice to receive A/B/O transfusion for AB types. Because AB RH-(Also known as Bombay types) are really rare, they are at the most disadvantageous spot due to how little supply there is for AB Rh-. They can't even receive AB RH+.

Of course, the most ideal situation would be that you receive blood transfusion from your own supply, but that is a really rare situation.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
When the Hong Kong and San Francisco police departments were coordinating the anti-Triad op, San Francisco offered one of their own, saying "Shen's just the man for the job. He's from Hong Kong, he knows the city and he'll fit right in." The thing is, they had two Chinese-American cops born in Hong Kong, on their payroll: Shen, Wei and Wei, Shen. One's a model undercover cop, the other is a loose cannon about to lose his badge. The paperwork was filled out with the wrong name, sending Wei Shen overseas for the sensitive operation.

Wei Shen's still an undercover cop in HK is because nobody's caught on to the mistake yet. The HKPD is scratching their heads, wondering when Shen's going to get his act together.

Somewhere back in the States, Shen Wei's wondering why everyone's so amazed he engineered that major bust without a single fatality.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So, something I just wanted to point out, I wish I had a camera for this.
I was playing that fight club mission you did beside the kung fu dojo you go to? You remember that railing you love so much Donuts?

Kicked a guy against it, his back loving snaps over it in half :gonk:

I am so glad you convinced me to buy this game. :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got the game as well, it's so much fun!

Stuffing dudes in vents and watching them flail their legs feebly feebly in the background while you beat up their buddies never gets old.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I think my favorite "execution" (for lack of a much better term) is the fan. You stick the dude's head into a vent and see the blood just come spurting out all over the place. It's by far the most brutal I've seen so far.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013
why wouldn't Wei Shen allowed to continue working undercover? he is a great undercover cop.
he easily integrates himself to the group he tries to infiltrate and quickly rises in ranks,
all the criminals he gets sent after either get arrested or dies by gang violence.
he even manages to help the cops to catch drug dealers using his inside knowledge, some of those drug dealer the cops didn't even suspect.
sure there is some correlation between him being undercover and a sharp rise in vehicular homicide, reckless driving, aggravated assault, etc
but what does that have to do with him? he deals with organized crime not traffic, that's a completely different department.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Holy poo poo, that mask. :stare:

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

:swoon: did you do this? I love it!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kytrarewn posted:

I think my favorite "execution" (for lack of a much better term) is the fan. You stick the dude's head into a vent and see the blood just come spurting out all over the place. It's by far the most brutal I've seen so far.

The ones from Zodiac Island are the best.

Also Hotline Miami is on sale on Steam, Donuts.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Barf Wight posted:

:swoon: did you do this? I love it!

That I did! I want the drat game!

That said, there's a few details I totally forgot, the cop at the food stand should have had a powerup over his head.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Sweet Mother of God that is amazing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

McKilligan, if you made that I'm fairly sure you just won the contest forever, it's amazing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

KozmoNaut posted:

McKilligan, if you made that I'm fairly sure you just won the contest forever, it's amazing.

It's his art style, so yeah he made it.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Well poo poo. All I'm going to do is give a last minuet reason and I'm competing with this? I might as well not even type it out.

Here it is anyway:

Shen is the best for the job because of the following: He is from the area. He knows the people from the old days, as clearly shown in the opening scene with Jackie Ma. That will not only throw off the scent, but make it easier for him to get in. He does so within a day. Concern is brought up though that he will turn this into a vendetta mission and not do what the cops want. Pendrew, Shen's supervisor, quells the concern and says Shen will do what is necessary. Shen is doing just that. However reports of a crazed Triad member running wild, killing people, both other gang members and civilians alike, matching closely to Shen's description. Concern is brought up again, but Pendrew once again quells it by saying, "It's not Shen. It is a rabid gang member and that is what we will tell everyone. It will put more and more blame on the Triads, allowing us to do our job without pause. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't cause too much damage to our own people. We are in a war, and sometimes, sacrifices must be made. We will bring down the Sun On Yee and win this war; and Shen is my weapon to do so." Pendrew knows leaving Shen alone is not wise, hence the reason for a handler, but he will be hands off, making it so at best, the only blame he will take is putting Shen there in the first place. Anything and everything else is all on Shen. All the death he's caused, directly or indirectly, are all because Shen did something. Pendrew's hands are clean and that's all that matters. Besides, there are other things he has to worry about. It's not easy being the Superintendent of a police force after all.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Toffile posted:

It's totally permissible to run people over after a while :v:

Permissible, nothing. It's fun as hell (and highly effective!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOrvzqb6jE

So I've been waiting to really post again until after noon, because I wanted to see what would turn up overnight, and I have to say you guys are amazing and I love everything that was submitted. It was a pretty tough choice, because there are more than a couple entries that really stood out to me, but I've made a decision.

First of all, anyone that wants to can always talk to me on Skype (at DirectorBones) or on Steam, and I'm gonna put those out there like that so that the people I'm about to call out as winners can get in touch with me for their free stuff.

I'll go with my honorable mentions first. This is awkward, because there were a couple of people who were just barely edging each other out depending on how I thought about it, so Rossi graciously volunteered two copies of Dino D-Day (which he helped with sound design on!) as consolation prizes.

tehspiekguy posted:

The hazy coffee shop wasn't very busy at this hour...

I'll confess to being a sucker for short stories, and this one was a great hint at something that, frankly, could've easily been a plot thread in a game like this. I like it and I wanted to call attention to it. :buddy: I'll get Rossi to send you your game as soon as possible!

Araganzar posted:

Wei Shen is modeled after the classic John Woo protagonist.

This one was gonna be fighting with another one for a close second place for a long time there, and I still love it to death for bringing some analysis to the thread and tying Wei back to an obvious influence. It wasn't funny, sure, but like I said in the video, it didn't have to be. Good poo poo. As soon as Rossi's available to send it, you'll have your game.

Second place! :v:

Electric Slug posted:

Jesus Christ Wei Shen, what are you?

This was actually tight in the lead for a while, but I had to give it to someone else by the end. Still, Electric Slug, hit me up on Steam or Skype (with your Steam id so I can add you!) and I'll buy you a $10 or less copy of any game you want off of Steam- that's something, I hope!

And finally, I'm gonna have to go with:

:stare:

Holy poo poo, McKilligan, the detail in this is fantastic and I love everything about it. That mask is so great, and the ground being littered with broken-legged innocents thugs is just magical. :allears: Shoot me a contact request on Skype (with your Steam id!) or Steam, and I'll shoot you back the copy of Sleeping Dogs as soon as the friend request goes through. Also, do you mind if I add this thing of beauty to the OP?

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
This is truly a thing of beauty.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So who's a better cop? Jack "gently caress YOU" Slate, or Wei "Pig Mask" Shen?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

So who's a better cop? Jack "gently caress YOU" Slate, or Wei "Pig Mask" Shen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SUPURONTPI

:colbert: I rest my case.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
:allears: A thing of beauty.
If I would've done anything differently it would just be cutting back and forth from the badge to Wei slamming one guy's head in a car door, for 2 minutes, but that is pretty much my favourite environmental kill so I may be biased.

When considering Jack Slate vs. Wei Shen you also have to into account that Jack has a "dog" (wolfbeast from hell).

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Coming soon to a game console near you! Dead Dogs Rights, featuring Jack Slate and Wei Shen. Guest starring Satan as Jack's dog.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Barf Wight posted:

:allears: A thing of beauty.
If I would've done anything differently it would just be cutting back and forth from the badge to Wei slamming one guy's head in a car door, for 2 minutes, but that is pretty much my favourite environmental kill so I may be biased.

When considering Jack Slate vs. Wei Shen you also have to into account that Jack has a "dog" (wolfbeast from hell).

It's true. Wei has to be psychopathic completely solo, and while the argument could be made that Slate was able to tame his wolfbeast, it is still an agent of destruction that means Slate can do things he wouldn't be able to do on his own.

December Octopodes posted:

Coming soon to a game console near you! Dead Dogs Rights, featuring Jack Slate and Wei Shen. Guest starring Satan as Jack's dog.

This would be the best game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Wei has to be psychopathic completely solo, and while the argument could be made that Slate was able to tame his wolfbeast, it is still an agent of destruction that means Slate can do things he wouldn't be able to do on his own.

Like stealth. :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

RareAcumen posted:

Like stealth. :v:
By stealth you mean "cripple the enemy's ability to scream or cry for help". In Grant City, no one can hear you scream when the Shadow wolf comes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

December Octopodes posted:

I don't think the universe would survive them joining forces.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
One of my favorite things about this game from playing it is that, despite everyone thinking that he can, Wei Shen is the only person in Hong Kong that actually knows how to swim.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

One of my favorite things about this game from playing it is that, despite everyone thinking that he can, Wei Shen is the only person in Hong Kong that actually knows how to swim.

No joke, while recording some footage earlier, I was participating in a chase during a mission. I bumped a woman while running across a bridge, and she fell into the water, which instantly killed her and docked me cop score for murdering her. :smith:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

tehspiekguy
and
Araganzar

Please provide either Donuts or myself with your steam IDs so that I might gift you your copies of Dino D-Day!

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy

This is the greatest thing right here.

Sent you a PM with my Steam name and ID, Jossi. Thanks again!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't been following the thread much because I got the game myself and didn't want to be spoiled, but I just tried one of the Triad side missions and it went...pork-bun. It started out normal with me being chased while I shot the tires of bikes, but then suddenly my driver veered off the and kept repeatedly trying to drive through a wall of solid rock. Bikers kept pouring in after us, and before long our car was skating on a literal sea of sport bikes. Sadly I could not shoot my own driver, but after about twenty minutes of him crashing in erratic circles, I finally had to just give up. And I made so many killstreaks!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

I haven't been following the thread much because I got the game myself and didn't want to be spoiled, but I just tried one of the Triad side missions and it went...pork-bun. It started out normal with me being chased while I shot the tires of bikes, but then suddenly my driver veered off the and kept repeatedly trying to drive through a wall of solid rock. Bikers kept pouring in after us, and before long our car was skating on a literal sea of sport bikes. Sadly I could not shoot my own driver, but after about twenty minutes of him crashing in erratic circles, I finally had to just give up. And I made so many killstreaks!

The DLC repeatable missions are a bit hit or miss at times and are all pretty much just gauntlets. They're also sadly the only way without Zodiac Tournament to actually get a lot of Triad experience.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Edit: Ah, gently caress me, I hit post too soon. The video will be finished uploading in about half an hour and I'm going to bed now.

Holy poo poo I'm late with this, but it's too drat late and I'm too drat tired to fill out the character bios I'm behind on.

:siren:Video 6: Anger Management:siren: (With JossiRossi!)

I tried some different things with the audio balance, not really sure if I like how it sounds yet or not. Input would be appreciated- worst case scenario I'll redo it and let it encode while I'm out tomorrow later ( :gonk: ) and reupload it in the afternoon.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The first Cop upgrade you got was Action Dismount which lets you leap out of cars when you're armed in slow motion and do cool stuff when shooting at other cars that way, not an upgrade that lets you disarm people more easily which I'm not even sure exists.

The shoulder tackle when armed with an assault rifle is not a counter, it's the basic melee attack: all counters when armed with either guns or melee weapons become dodges instead.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2013

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

The first Cop upgrade you got was Action Dismount which lets you leap out of cars when you're armed in slow motion, not an upgrade that lets you disarm people more easily which I'm not even sure exists.

The shoulder tackle when armed with an assault rifle is not a counter, it's the basic melee attack: all counters when armed with either guns or melee weapons become dodges instead.

It happened when I hit counter.

As for the action dismount thing, yeah you're right. I was -really- tired when I was recording this one, thus miles = meters and other hilariously inaccurate poo poo coming out of my mouth. Next time should be better. :negative:

And yeah, that upgrade does exist- it's a melee move, though, not a cop or triad upgrade, and it lets you disarm people when you running tackle them. Since I got that one later in the same recording session, I managed to confuse myself. :smith:

E: Actually, I dunno if it's too late for this or what, but I was kind of hoping to keep the Action Dismount's big awesome bonus as a surprise for later in the thread. Can you edit it out or something?

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 23, 2013

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Chocolate Donuts posted:

RAWR YOU'RE A NAZI DINOSAUR

Thanks, Steam ID sent! Honored to be mentioned along with McKillian's head-exploding submission and some fine expositions.

I also appreciate your calling this violent little gem to my attention. My love for early Woo and Hong Kong Cinema in general is quite tarantinous, as is my new love for leg breaking. This has been a joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

No joke, while recording some footage earlier, I was participating in a chase during a mission. I bumped a woman while running across a bridge, and she fell into the water, which instantly killed her and docked me cop score for murdering her. :smith:

I'm still unsure what I think about cop score as a mechanic. I mean- I appreciate that you're supposed to be a cop and killing innocents should be avoided, but it seems next to impossible to keep your cop score at 3 for most missions, since stealing a car knocks you below the threshold in many missions, as does bumping into, well, just about anything.

I like it better than just a flat "Mission failed" if you pop the wrong guy, though, I guess, and despite my failings I managed to end up with about one and a half full lines of cop upgrades. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I also really hate the 'revving' animation when you get on a bike. It does seem to have a gameplay purpose, though. Similar to respawning at full health after dying during a mission, regardless how low you might have been when you got there, after failing one of the "Grab a bike and chase the truck" missions, the checkpoint is seemingly just after revving. It provides a bit of an "OK, you're an idiot, so here's your extra 1.5 seconds of leeway" type of deal.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2013

• Locked thread