Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rake Arms posted:

I'm a little late, but to answer your question, the GamePad actually has a built-in sensor bar in addition to the IR port. It's the black strip around the camera. Black Ops II even supports the Wiimote/Nunchuck during off-tv play. I've also seen patents from Nintendo for a system using both sensor bars and MotionPlus so the Wiimote can actually distinguish the two screen and interact with them separately.

And I don't know why, but I have gut feeling this feature will be used in ZeldaU.

I agree. They're guarranteed to use the new controller but I don't see them dropping the Wii remote as sword idea either. Operating the Wii Remote in one hand and using the Gamepad's control stick and touch screen with the other wouldn't be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I agree. They're guarranteed to use the new controller but I don't see them dropping the Wii remote as sword idea either. Operating the Wii Remote in one hand and using the Gamepad's control stick and touch screen with the other wouldn't be so bad.

Coop Zelda. One controls link with a wiimote and nun chuck the other controls Zelda shooting light arrows with the game pad.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I could also see my self holding a Wiimote/Nunchuck and occasionally reaching out to tap the GamePad screen. I still contend that the Wiimote/Nunchuck are incredibly comfortable to hold in any playing position (except for rolling bombs in Skyward Sword, they seriously need to fix that poo poo if they do it again).

Cartoon Man posted:

Coop Zelda. One controls link with a wiimote and nun chuck the other controls Zelda shooting light arrows with the game pad.

Yes please, this. There's so many possibilities. Medli/Makar and the Groosenator come to mind.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rake Arms posted:

Yes please, this. There's so many possibilities. Medli/Makar and the Groosenator come to mind.

They pretty much made the demo of it in Nintendoland.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Playing more ZombiU. Really liking this game, and I typically don't do well with horror games since I am a giant wimp. I'm at the point now though that I want Ubisoft to make a sequel, so if there are some of you who do not own it yet, please go buy shiny new copies to push those sales numbers, thanks.

Looking at my current (only my second so far) survivor, and my stat screen says I have 127 infected kills. Is that total or just this survivor? Either way most of them have been by her-- a twenty-nine year old Phoebe who screams bloody murder when I mash some zombie face with the cricket bat, since my first survivor bit the dust defending the safe house at the beginning of the game. I hope Phoebe makes it the rest of the game, she's getting decent stat buffs from all these kills :ohdear:.

About to head for London Tower when I play next. Maybe about 35-40% of the way through the game, I think?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

This would be very cool, I would love an expanded version of the Zelda Nintendoland game. Also the Metroid one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

Playing more ZombiU. Really liking this game, and I typically don't do well with horror games since I am a giant wimp. I'm at the point now though that I want Ubisoft to make a sequel, so if there are some of you who do not own it yet, please go buy shiny new copies to push those sales numbers, thanks.

Looking at my current (only my second so far) survivor, and my stat screen says I have 127 infected kills. Is that total or just this survivor? Either way most of them have been by her-- a twenty-nine year old Phoebe who screams bloody murder when I mash some zombie face with the cricket bat, since my first survivor bit the dust defending the safe house at the beginning of the game. I hope Phoebe makes it the rest of the game, she's getting decent stat buffs from all these kills :ohdear:.

About to head for London Tower when I play next. Maybe about 35-40% of the way through the game, I think?

You're getting pretty far in, probably a good 50% to be honest. The kills you see are for just that survivor in particular, and do contribute to your score. I feel like a lot of people die at that first door based on the number of infected survivors I find there, since you're still learning the ropes and they really do send a lot of them at you all at once. A bit of a hint of what's to come, so it's "fair" that they spin that bullshit on you early.

There are a few parts later in the game, one in particular, that feel unfair on an equivalent level when you have it happen, just in case you find yourself getting cocky. Be sure to stock up on what you need, and always store away what you might need later. You're going to feel like poo poo if you get caught off guard, panic, and let yourself die a winnable fight :(

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Soul Glo posted:

I'd say 40% is about right. Little heads up though. Something is going to happen in the tower and you're going ot have to follow some waypoints. Follow those to the letter, like always follow them when they show up. I meandered and went a completely different route and the game kinda fudged it on a cutscene and it caused a glitch where an objective I finished in a multi objective mission didn't record and down the road I couldn't progress even though I could leave the Tower. Had to start over from scratch which was fine and fun because I had fun getting there again not all super noobish but still haven't heard of them fixing it and its annoying if it happens.

EDIT: Also all that stuff up there. There's a couple of encounters that you can tell the level designers if they could would have put in the Nelson "Haw haw"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I had a similar glitch at the Tower. Basically if you go the scenic route, it spawns a couple extra zombies, so then during a "gotta kill all the zombies" condition it's not evident at all that you haven't killed everything. I ran around the high-up event area for like 30 minutes, defiantly refusing to restart the segment, until I finally looked off a parapet edge and saw a zombie tilting around on the ground several stories below. Shot him in the head, and the game let me proceed.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Joramun posted:

After this Capcom/WayForward should do Rescue Rangers Remastered, because those games were just as awesome (and the theme song just as catchy, so it would be perfect for another sing-along trailer).

The multiplayer in Rescue Rangers for the NES was a clear ancestor of New Super Mario Bros' antagonistic co-op.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Chronojam posted:

I had a similar glitch at the Tower. Basically if you go the scenic route, it spawns a couple extra zombies, so then during a "gotta kill all the zombies" condition it's not evident at all that you haven't killed everything. I ran around the high-up event area for like 30 minutes, defiantly refusing to restart the segment, until I finally looked off a parapet edge and saw a zombie tilting around on the ground several stories below. Shot him in the head, and the game let me proceed.

You lucked out. During the whole getting to the roof and killing all the zombies thing it refused to check off the fact that I actually got there and even though it checked off the objective for killing zombies after it still kept that one in the objectives and the chopper was still hanging around even though in the cutscene you see it die. Figured it was just a tiny glitch and left for everything else and when it came time to go to Spitalfields Green it wouldn't let me decode the door and go. Had to start all over.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cartoon Man posted:

You speak of Co-op Zelda, yet you didnt also say the words Tingle Tuner.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Co-op Zelda" = Four Swords sequel. Accept no substitute. P5 can even be Tingle!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I tried plugging in my headphones into the gamepad. It doesn't seem to want to stay in. Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: It'd be more accurate to say that it doesn't feel like it's snapping in and sound doesn't go to the headphones without some sort of finagling. Tried this with two different headphone sets.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo UK dudes, HMV is selling the Premium hardware bundle with a copy of ZombiU for 199.99GBP, which is a saving of, like, 140 pounds.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After a few days of playing Lego City now, I have to say it is my favorite game for Wii U, and my favorite console game in years. It has so much exploration, so many things to do, and the story/plot is actually enjoyable. Everyone in my household is addicted and fights over who gets to play next.

Last night it took me 2 hours to get to my next mission objective because every time I hijacked a car, I would see something alongside the road almost immediately that grabbed my attention. The puzzles and platforming are really refreshing, as they're not easy but also not frustrating.

I hope they make more original Lego games like this and I hope the sales are strong enough for a sequel. This makes Lego Franchise games seem boring by comparison.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just bought the 32GB Wii U from HMV for £200. What exclusive games would you recommend? I've already got Nintendoland and ZombiU, but the only thing I've seen that interests me is New Super Mario Bros. U.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

That loving Sned posted:

I just bought the 32GB Wii U from HMV for £200. What exclusive games would you recommend? I've already got Nintendoland and ZombiU, but the only thing I've seen that interests me is New Super Mario Bros. U.

Sonic all stars racing is a competent racer that gets pretty challenging. You can get Batman pretty cheap from amazon if you haven't got it on another system.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Droid Washington posted:

After a few days of playing Lego City now, I have to say it is my favorite game for Wii U, and my favorite console game in years. It has so much exploration, so many things to do, and the story/plot is actually enjoyable. Everyone in my household is addicted and fights over who gets to play next.

Last night it took me 2 hours to get to my next mission objective because every time I hijacked a car, I would see something alongside the road almost immediately that grabbed my attention. The puzzles and platforming are really refreshing, as they're not easy but also not frustrating.

I hope they make more original Lego games like this and I hope the sales are strong enough for a sequel. This makes Lego Franchise games seem boring by comparison.

I played for about 4 hours straight today until I drained the game pad battery. I'll start a mission, then gently caress off doing something else that's equally fun in the game world.

The platforming isn't difficult but I've found myself having to start from the beginning of a long chase if I mess up. It's not a big deal because so far I haven't run into bullshit "Suspect is getting away hurry up MISSION FAILED" messages like in GTA.

Of course now that I'm loving this game I want to buy some Lego City sets. Just wish I had more money for some of those. :sigh:

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

quote:

Sonic all stars racing is a competent racer that gets pretty challenging.
I think that's selling Sonic Transformed short. I'd say it's the best kart racer going, much less of a luck fest than the Mario Karts and with some genuinely wonderful track design, masses of content and a level of challenge that's all but guaranteed to kick your rear end. The only real complaint is the framerate suffering with some of the more complex tracks.

quote:

Of course now that I'm loving this game I want to buy some Lego City sets. Just wish I had more money for some of those.
The game isn't out here until next week, but I got the DLC for it already. It's literally Lego models of the vehicles the DLC gives you in the game with a download code on the numberplate. If you're gonna insist on DLC, that's a pretty loving cool way to go with it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In Lego City, I just unlocked helicopters.

Also I feel you about the Lego sets. Suddenly I want to own all the city ones.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Adapter-Desktops-Power-Free-Raspberry/dp/B009CRN810/

Think this looks ok for using the Wii U with a monitor? Then I can plug the line out into my speakers.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

That loving Sned posted:

Get Lego City: Undercover. It's easily the best Wii U game that's out right now.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

farfromsleep posted:

The game isn't out here until next week, but I got the DLC for it already. It's literally Lego models of the vehicles the DLC gives you in the game with a download code on the numberplate. If you're gonna insist on DLC, that's a pretty loving cool way to go with it.

Oh that's cool. I looked up the set on Toys R Us, it's about $30 on sale here, will have to think about it. Might be a good gateway set. :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lego City Undercover is enjoyable, but people are neglecting to mention that it's made for children (which may or may not matter to the buyer), the frame rate sucks, the pop-in is noticeable and the load times are horrendous. That said it is still fun, but know that stuff going in.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm sure a ton of children got that Colombo reference in the opening briefing room cinematic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Whenever I buy a game about Legos I expect a grimdark permadeath roguelike set in a cyberpunk dystopia, so this news is greatly disappointing!!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

All those Shawshank references are for children... kids love Shawshank!

:ssh:The game is made for Families, only Traveller's Tales remembered that adults are part of a family, too:ssh:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 23, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There's no blood in this Lego game??

NINTENDO IS SCREWING US AGAIN!!!!!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The jokes are for parents playing the game with their kids. They are not evidence that the game is not for kids.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Lego games definitely have something of a coddling approach, though, at least with my previous experiences. It's one of those things like with Pokemon, where you know it's obviously meant for kids going on and the game will play as such, but certain Pokemon games are a lot more...condescending to the player than others.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Lego City Undercover is enjoyable, but people are neglecting to mention that it's made for children

I think this is something that only matters to teenagers and immature adults anyway. I don't think it needs mentioning. A fun game is a fun game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm sure a ton of children got that Colombo reference in the opening briefing room cinematic.

I was a fan of Dirty Harry asking if his mug had 6 espresso shots, or only 5.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Quick everyone, rush to defend the honor of a (well reviewed) videogame because someone brought up a concern that some gamers might have. That'll show that meany who's boss!

Some adults also play Pokemon, a game that is designed for kids. That's not saying ANYTHING negative about the game so much as it is saying that the game is what it is, and there are some folks who do try these things and don't have fun with them specifically because that "designed for a kid" aspect doesn't sit well with them. That doesn't make them less mature, it means the game isn't for them. Jesus.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I think the idea was to explain that it's not all fart jokes and girls-have-cooties humor, but the writing also isn't what you'll get out of Obsidian and it sure isn't Law & Order:SVU. Nobody thinks Soul-Glo is being a meany.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jeez, guys, I had no idea so many people who made the game posted in this thread :rolleyes:.

I didn't say it was a bad game because it was made for children, but it is a very simplistic game that constantly reminds you with flashing text about what to do and where. It is made for children, and some people might not want that-- though they should know by now that EVERY Lego game is made for children, but I could see LCU attracting people who skip Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean games.

What is about the Nintendo thread that if someone offers a balanced view of something that recognizes cons, five or six people immediately remember they have a blood oath out to defend Nintendo's honor. When did I say the game sucked because it wasn't a "grimdark roguelike" or have blood in it? I even said the game was FUN, for gently caress's sake.

Seriously, some of you need to get your Nintendo branded underpants unbunched, it's getting ridiculous.

e: Actually just two people this time, but still-- you'd think people on a message board would be able to read an entire post before bubbling over with a need to pull out their flaming swords.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 24, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

I think the idea was to explain that it's not all fart jokes and girls-have-cooties humor, but the writing also isn't what you'll get out of Obsidian and it sure isn't Law & Order:SVU. Nobody thinks Soul-Glo is being a meany.

I think that by saying a game is "designed for kids" doesn't automatically mean "fart jokes" and "girls-have-cooties humor". It could also have to do with how much handholding their is at the start of a game, or the level of difficulty throughout. I personally appreciate the humor in all the Lego games I've played, but I get very bored of them very quickly because I don't stay engaged by their gameplay for very long. That doesn't make them lovely games that should be avoided by "mature adults".

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

What is about the Nintendo thread that if someone offers a balanced view of something that recognizes cons, five or six people immediately remember they have a blood oath out to defend Nintendo's honor. When did I say the game sucked because it wasn't a "grimdark roguelike" or have blood in it? I even said the game was FUN, for gently caress's sake.

I don't think its fair to single this thread out, I mean I feel you but this passive aggressive bullshit is pretty common here.

So the Wii U version of Deus Ex is easily shaping to be the definitive version by the simple virtue of the redesigned boss fights, they mentioned in an interview how all the arenas for them are different now giving you multiple paths of entry and choices, not sure if you can do lethal though, that be nice, would make it a true Deus Ex game in my book if you could.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Did you mean non-lethal? Because they did specify in that announcement that it would be possible (though I assume this just means they can eventually be knocked out, like I'm sure Barret still kills himself in the cutscene afterwards, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Are Ninja Gaiden 3's controls really that bad with the game pad? A few reviews mention that a pro controller is almost mandatory but I don't really feel like shelling out for one right now.

• Locked thread