Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Now I just feel strange. Went to the volcano for the powderstone mission. "eh I'll mine; there's a lot here and nothing to do with this pick I've been carrying around"

Bam rust shard with a rusty hammer. It's my first Monster Hunter so just threw it in a box and shrugged it off :v:

We're you doing online quests or village quests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone have any ideas why i cant connect to anyone online?
I put my wii u in a DMZ via my router settings, but i still get error 106-0612

I created a game and it filled up immediately, does that mean the error is on other peoples' ends and I am actually fine?

How does HR go up? Do I just need to keep doing more quests or is there a specific quest to do?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 24, 2013

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Ciaphas posted:

Are monster parts dropped by cutting tails/bashing faces/etc also obtainable by capturing the monsters without breaking the respective part? If not, can I still capture the monster after breaking the part and get the item, or do they have to die?

My friend got rathian marrow from capturing a few times, and that's a tail only carve if I remember correctly, so it's looking like that's a probably yes.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Are monster parts dropped by cutting tails/bashing faces/etc also obtainable by capturing the monsters without breaking the respective part? If not, can I still capture the monster after breaking the part and get the item, or do they have to die?

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Rathalos_Carves

Going by how things were in Tri (I'm assuming stuff is still relatively the same), you have body carves, tail carves, wound rewards, capture rewards, and shiny drops. Using Rathalos (Tri) here as an example, when you capture him, there's a 29% chance of getting Rathalos webbing. In addition to that, breaking a wing gives an 8% chance of there being a webbing in the rewards at the end. These 2 can go together, as well. On the reward sheet you should see at the top it'll say something like "Quest Reward" and there'll be one table. There's also a table below that one labaled "Wound/Cap." When you break Great Jaggi's head frills and get a King's Frill after the quest is over, you'll see it in this wound/cap table.

You don't have to kill after breaking the part to get the item. But, it seems that in general, capturing is the way to go if you're looking to make weapons and armor from that monster.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I gotta give props to this game's localisation. I'm not usually fond of INTERNET MEMES in my video games, but the "keikaku means plan!" reference was actually well-placed and gave me a good chuckle.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is weapon affinity?
My spiral lance is attack 253 and wa110
Does that mean its does an additional 110 water dmg?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

what is weapon affinity?
My spiral lance is attack 253 and wa110
Does that mean its does an additional 110 water dmg?

Elemental damage isn't 1:1 with raw, unless something has changed since MHFU. The real power of elemental damage comes from exploiting weaknesses.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

Elemental damage isn't 1:1 with raw, unless something has changed since MHFU. The real power of elemental damage comes from exploiting weaknesses.

so then it wont do anything extra unless they are weak to water?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cat Machine posted:

I gotta give props to this game's localisation. I'm not usually fond of INTERNET MEMES in my video games, but the "keikaku means plan!" reference was actually well-placed and gave me a good chuckle.

Yeah the localization is corny as hell and I love it. Hell the very first npc I spoke to made terrible puns about the earthquake that just happened.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

I gotta give props to this game's localisation.
I really do

Nechronic posted:

Yeah the localization is corny as hell and I love it. Hell the very first npc I spoke to made terrible puns about the earthquake that just happened.
"What could have made the island shake that much? Tectonic... what? Nah trust me kid, it was a dragon."

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 24, 2013

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I think I need to switch tack on my approach towards killing Quropecos. I managed to make the Hunting Horn from the bear (Azuros? It's a pair of giant cymbals on a stick. Goddamn this weapon class rules), which has songs that are pretty much a hard counter to the bird's bullshit. Fire resistance up, and apparently the ability to make a load of noise that knocks Pecos out of his singing animation. But the fights still go on for ages, I have to chase him across the map, and eventually I just run out of Mega Potions and die.

I guess I have to switch up my weapon usage. The other weapon type I've been using are the dual swords, presently Jaggi Shotels. Would they work much better?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Six Of Spades posted:

I think I need to switch tack on my approach towards killing Quropecos. I managed to make the Hunting Horn from the bear (Azuros? It's a pair of giant cymbals on a stick. Goddamn this weapon class rules), which has songs that are pretty much a hard counter to the bird's bullshit. Fire resistance up, and apparently the ability to make a load of noise that knocks Pecos out of his singing animation. But the fights still go on for ages, I have to chase him across the map, and eventually I just run out of Mega Potions and die.

I guess I have to switch up my weapon usage. The other weapon type I've been using are the dual swords, presently Jaggi Shotels. Would they work much better?

If your problem is getting hit so much that you go through 10 mega potions then switching weapons isn't going to solve the problem, not getting hit will. If you can't get the hang of dodging at this point try using the lance or something.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Fair enough. I do ok in the earlier stages, but after a while there are a ton of summoned monsters on screen and I struggle to keep up. Since I'm playing solo I probably should use something with a shield, since I don't have people to take hits on my behalf. Maybe I can teach the little minion guy a taunt...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nah; you need to learn that small monsters won't attack you 90% of the time so you can just ignore them and focus on the Peco. I've never really lost to him but things to look out for, (aside from his generic charge attack and tail smack)

Flint burst: He'll "clap" his wings together 3 times, when you see him do it twice dodge to the side as the third time he'll skip forward and clap. He can then follow it up for 1-2 extra "hits"

Oil bomb: There's not much of a tell for this; he hops on one leg and shakes his head a bit then shoots a arc of oil; he can do this in the air as well. Not very damaging but it lowers your defense and makes his fire hurt more.

Cry: He can straight up start crying and will do it without warning. This is his grabbag call; it can summon a bunch of harmless jaggi to a Rathian. If he starts dancing side to side while clapping his wings he'll summon a big monster no matter what (and it'll almost always be a Rathian.) Hit him in the neck a lot to shut him up.

If the Rathian shows up just dance around her if you don't know her pattern and smack the poo poo out of the Peco; it usually doesn't stick around long after a Rathian shows up so if you paintballed it you can just scram and have some free time to just kill the Peco. Also if you're on fire just roll to put yourself out. (I need to test this more but it works whenever I do it)

Dinotron posted:

We're you doing online quests or village quests?

It was offline village quests. I genuinely wasn't even grinding or anything, it was my second time being in the volcano (did the harvest tour) and just kinda got it on a whim.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 24, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

I'm 2 games out of touch so I may be wrong, but that's how it was in MHFU.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Fauxtool posted:

what is weapon affinity?

I don't think anybody else has answered this yet for you--Affinity is a chance for your weapon to deal 1.25 times the damage of what it would normally would. If the Affinity stat is negative, it's a chance for the weapon to deal 0.75 times its usual damage instead.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Monsters have elemental weaknesses and are weaker to some more than others. Most also have a total resistance to one or more elements, meaning they won't take damage from that element.

The weaknesses are also different for each part of a monster. For Example:

Arzuros
Head: 20 Fire, 5 Water, 15 Ice, 10 Thunder, 0 Dragon
Upper Body: 25 Fire, 5 Water, 15 Ice, 10 Thunder, 0 Dragon

If you hit Arzuros in the head with a fire weapon, you deal less fire damage than you would have if you had hit him in the upper body. Those are percents, by the way, so you would not deal any Dragon damage and very little water damage.

Elemental damage is not modified by the attack used to apply it, unlike physical damage. Therefore, to maximize elemental damage to a specific part, you want to hit it as often as possible, not as "hard" as possible. This makes the Hammer's whirlwind attack the best hammer attack to deal elemental/status damage, but not very good at dealing raw damage.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I really like using the switch axe, but am I right in thinking I can only cut off tails with it when it's switched to the sword mode? Also I forged a new one and when I attack with the sword it's got a blue aura instead of a red one. Is this just an aesthetic thing or is there a difference?

Okay, thanks guys
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 24, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You can cut tails off in axe mode as well. As for why the color is different its probably because your new switch axe has a different elemental phial.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

KimT posted:

I really like using the switch axe, but am I right in thinking I can only cut off tails with it when it's switched to the sword mode? Also I forged a new one and when I attack with the sword it's got a blue aura instead of a red one. Is this just an aesthetic thing or is there a difference?

Red aura is power phial and blue is elemental phial.

I've decided that for this game I'm gonna switch away from my old standby of the hammer and greatsword and try out the switch axe. I have no friggin idea what I'm doing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I just fought a Barioth for the first time in like three years, didn't remember much about him other than that he was the hardest boss in Tri due to the extremely fast unique moveset.

Now he has a hipcheck, which does away with his big glaring weakness (in Tri as long as you stuck close to him he pretty much couldn't hurt you), and about ten minutes into the fight (after dying once and spending half that time on the floor) I had the Neo moment. I understood how he moved and his patterns, I was using a Red Bludgeon hammer and for the rest of the fight I had him stunned or flinching, he hit me maybe one more time.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Six Of Spades posted:

Fair enough. I do ok in the earlier stages, but after a while there are a ton of summoned monsters on screen and I struggle to keep up. Since I'm playing solo I probably should use something with a shield, since I don't have people to take hits on my behalf. Maybe I can teach the little minion guy a taunt...
I recommend the longsword as a good learning weapon. No block, but a great balance of speed and damage, plus excellent range. It's easy to combo with, and you can roll out of a lot of attacks. It even has a 'dodge while attacking' move which is helpful for reinforcing the attack-dodge cycle vs. boss enemies.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I can't decide if I prefer hammers and hunting horns or the Gunner weapons better. Smashing the hell out of a monster's face is a blast and being a buffer is interesting, but something about the long-range weapons really draws me towards them.

Does this mean I'm going to have to grind out both blademaster AND gunner armor along with keeping all 4 weapons up to date :derp:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Killed brachydios a couple times, enough to make a slime weapon. How does the slime status work? Is it just a fixed number of hits to cause the explosion? Do monsters get more resistant to it each time or does that number stay the same? Does the explosion damage all the breakable parts?

Also when do you use a regular element instead of a slime weapon, or is it just all slime all the time?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Six Of Spades posted:

I think I need to switch tack on my approach towards killing Quropecos.

Few tips about the horn that helps alot:

1: Always make sure you have both self improvement songs on when fighting. [White/White] having faster movement speed with the horn out helps a ton and can outrun the peco when he's cracking his knuckles together most of the time. the other improvement buff prevents the weapon from bouncing off something and leaving you vulnerable.

2: A horn with infinite stamina goes a long way [even moreso online] as it means infinite dodges.

3: never try to use sonic bombs/songs when it's crying for help unless you already have sheathed your weapon/have the song ready as most of the time it will play the song anyways. it's usually best to just use that time to beat the poo poo out of the peco and hope for a flinch/break/KO.

Hunting horns own :black101:

Sudoku posted:

but something about the long-range weapons really draws me towards them.

not getting hit often is a tempting thing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Whats a good time to try online? Runnin' through 4 star missions and my current plan is to mop up everything on the island then dip into online stuff but is it fine to run around beforehand? Is it too much of a burden?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This is my first monster hunter game, and while I was somewhat skeptical at first I'm having a blast now. Hunted a bunch of Great Jaggi's and crafted up my Jaggi armor set, then took on the online Peco hunt solo. Cue about an hour (literally took him down right before my time ran out) of running around the map, beating the poo poo out of that bird while I dodged the multiple Azuros that he kept summoning on me.

This was made somewhat more difficult by the fact that I only brought about 5 regular potions with me, so I had to get really good at dodging, really fast. It's been a while since I've yelled at a T.V. this much. Now I'm debating whether or not I want to use the beak I carved off of him to craft a loving indian head-dress for my Hunter-mans. Seems like it's more oriented toward someone using pipes, though, and I'm largely focusing on Longsword/Switch Axe.

One thing I will say is that it would be kind of cool to be able to carry an alternate weapon with you. There would be a lot of utility in being able to cart both a cutting and impact weapon for instance.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Commissar Ken posted:

Whats a good time to try online? Runnin' through 4 star missions and my current plan is to mop up everything on the island then dip into online stuff but is it fine to run around beforehand? Is it too much of a burden?

Hop on IRC there are often a good amount of people in there. There are still a few HR1 groups and sometimes people need stuff from the monsters still or are willing to help out new players. Most groups right now are running HR2/3. HR being Hunter Rank you have to kill basically every (sometimes some are excluded) from your HR to go to the next rank. HR1 isn't bad to solo and you can probably pub it pretty easy if you are having problems getting into a good group. But seriously get into IRC and type "Anyone wan to do HR1 stuff" or something similar and you'll probably get a response.

Right now 69 people are in IRC (IRC is for lurking, but tons of people log out when they aren't on when I went to be 7 hours ago only 40 people were in the room and about 9-12 active.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Commissar Ken posted:

I'd say as soon as you've upgraded over your leather armor and have a weapon with a decent amount of green sharpness you'd be fine to start doing 1* online. You can do 1* with your starting gear but it sucks.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

J posted:

Killed brachydios a couple times, enough to make a slime weapon. How does the slime status work? Is it just a fixed number of hits to cause the explosion? Do monsters get more resistant to it each time or does that number stay the same? Does the explosion damage all the breakable parts?

Also when do you use a regular element instead of a slime weapon, or is it just all slime all the time?

Basically what Slime does is apply slime to a monster's body part. For example, if you're fighting R. Ludroth and you struck his spongy hide, your weapon might cause slime to splash on it. Once you've slimed the Ludroth's sponge three/four times, it'll explode and deal a ton of damage.

The kicker is that this applies to separate body parts. So for example you managed to slime R. Ludroth's Sponge, head and tail, the next explosion will kick off a chain reaction and blow up his entire body.

Yeah, it's kinda stupid. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cronodoculous posted:

I gave up trying to use the fish chart and tried to find out which table I'm on by matching up the few charms I've gotten with Athena's charm tables. I'm pretty sure I'm not on a bad one now, but I can't find one of my charms listed. It's called a Bishop Talisman and gives +5 Ranger skill and one slot. I can't find "Ranger" listed anywhere though, anyone know what's up with that?

After finding out that the FREE DIGITAL BRADYGAMES GUIDE WITH PREORDER is searchable, it grants Outdoorsman.

quote:

Improves fishing and cooking results during quests and always displays the map, even without map item.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Speaking of the brady games guide, is it worth it? Also do you need an ebook or is it a pdf file?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's a PDF, and it's worth every cent I paid for it. :v:

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Yeah yeah you got it for free.:v: But is it worth the 15$?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh god no, not when there's GameFAQs and wikis.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Lizard Wizard posted:

After finding out that the FREE DIGITAL BRADYGAMES GUIDE WITH PREORDER is searchable, it grants Outdoorsman.

Sounds pretty cool, thanks a ton dude.

Edit: I went and downloaded the charm tables again and now it's got Ranger! Looks like the maker just uploaded a new version with the new translations.

Cronodoculous fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 24, 2013

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just bought MH Ultimate and a 3DS XL yesterday, apparently GAME in the UK decided to stock 2 copies, one was already pre-ordered. I wonder how they are going to make it big here with that amount of stock around.

Anyway, I am a veteran to unite and have come across my first brick wall in this game, Gobul, I just scraped through the first time against him and I couldn't land many hits, couldn't roll away from his attacks and kept getting launched across the map.

I am not sure whether it is a combination of being a mainly hammer user and absolutely hating the water fighting mechanics, but I cannot seem to find a way of taking it down easily. What are the tactics that other people are using against him and should I try a different type of weapon against him instead?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gobul is the biggest hit and run fight because his attacks might as well be explosions with how much AoE they have.

If you're indeed a hammer user his face hitbox is really big and easy to hit, and I might be wrong but he stuns easier than most bosses. You can also break the lantern easier.

Overall, just remember to keep the gently caress away when Gobul is about to do ANYTHING, and his soft spots are definitely his face, lantern and his topside.

Here's a diagram from the MH wiki:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedboat Jones posted:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Rathalos_Carves

Going by how things were in Tri (I'm assuming stuff is still relatively the same), you have body carves, tail carves, wound rewards, capture rewards, and shiny drops. Using Rathalos (Tri) here as an example, when you capture him, there's a 29% chance of getting Rathalos webbing. In addition to that, breaking a wing gives an 8% chance of there being a webbing in the rewards at the end. These 2 can go together, as well. On the reward sheet you should see at the top it'll say something like "Quest Reward" and there'll be one table. There's also a table below that one labaled "Wound/Cap." When you break Great Jaggi's head frills and get a King's Frill after the quest is over, you'll see it in this wound/cap table.

You don't have to kill after breaking the part to get the item. But, it seems that in general, capturing is the way to go if you're looking to make weapons and armor from that monster.

So just making sure here, this means that maximizing my item hunting efforts means breaking every available part AND capturing the monster, right?

I guess then I need to learn a weapon other than long sword. What weapons are good for cutting and smashing monsters for their bits so I can wear them?

(edit) Also are there any visual/audio indicators that I've finished a break in general, like a smashing noise maybe, or does it vary from monster to monster?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Samael posted:

Just bought MH Ultimate and a 3DS XL yesterday, apparently GAME in the UK decided to stock 2 copies, one was already pre-ordered. I wonder how they are going to make it big here with that amount of stock around.

Amazon won't even have stock in for another week and a half, it's pretty disheartening.

• Locked thread