Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Dark Elf, Wizard, lifex3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Update will be in the morning.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yay, finally an Age of Wonders LP---wait are those .jpgs? :stonk:

:cry: Seriously, what the gently caress possessed you to use jpg screenshots in this game? It has one of the most beautiful pixelart ever and you make it look like poo poo. You're a horrible person. :colbert: Sorry, it's unreadable right now. But I'll be waiting in case you decide to give the game the care it deserves.

Also, you seem to have timgs in your updates.

And in case the voting is still going on, anything that does NOT have Life Stealing or any kind of Strike skill. Seriously, those trivialize the game and eventually you have a hero capable of killing 20+ ultimate units single-handed. (not that this doesn't have to be shown but let's not break the campaign) And if it's a wizard archetype, go Fire+Death spheres. Not as trivial and much more fluffy for the Cult of Storms.

VVV: I prefer Cold Strike, it procs freezing far more often than LS procs stunning. Add First/Extra Strike and LS and you've basically won everything as long as you pick your combats at the start.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 23, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

And in case the voting is still going on, anything that does NOT have Life Stealing or any kind of Strike skill. Seriously, those trivialize the game and eventually you have a hero capable of killing 20+ ultimate units single-handed. (not that this doesn't have to be shown but let's not break the campaign)

I once beat the Keeper campaign with a halfling doing precisely that. :colbert: Helps that there are maybe half a dozen units in the entire game with lightning resistance/immunity. Also made Hall of Heroes somewhat tolerable.

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012
What is an Azrac? It's kinda moot since no one voted for them yet, but I do want to know if they're cool enough to vote for anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Amhazair posted:

What is an Azrac? It's kinda moot since no one voted for them yet, but I do want to know if they're cool enough to vote for anyway.
Arabian-style desert nomads

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012
Sounds fun enough. An Azrac wizard with fire, earth and death magic then. Come into my desert, bitches. (...and leave your bleached bones behind.)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A bit of a heads up. Got a minor family emergency going on. Should be able to update tonight.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Final Count

Race:

Dark Elf - 7
Orc - 6
Lizard - 4
Goblin - 1
Azrac - 1

Class Archetype:

Wizard - 14
Brawler - 3
Commander - 3

Spheres

(If the votes were for two spheres in non-specified amounts I gave 1.5 to each. One sphere mentioned was 3 votes for that sphere)

Life - 8.5
Air - 21
Earth - 3
Water - 7
Fire - 5
Death - 12.5

Total Sphere choices: 57

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Cult of Storms, Mission 1: Assassination

I am Vhendor, one of the chosen of The Cult of Storms, selected by Meandor himself to be his weapon of revenge. Revenge not just upon those who defiled the Valley of Wonders, but also upon those weak and mewling Keepers who speak of forgiveness towards the humans. Whispers speak of me, they tell others about my potency, my great aptitude with magic even for one who has just started along the path of power. They say other things when I am not around, things that they believe I do not know about. But I do, and Meandor does as well.

I have been tasked with a matter of great importance to Meandor, something that will not only show the cowardly members of the Cult that our time is now, but also something that will show the Keepers how weak they are. Meandor will strike at the Queen Elwyn, the mother of Julia. No greater declaration of our will and power can be imagined.

My forces to complete this task are limited, consisting mainly of pathetic Goblin fodder, useful more to wear our foes down than any sort of actual competence on the battlefield. What they lack in ability they make up in numbers, numbers I will use again and again.

Goblin Spearman posted:

The common Goblin warrior is proficient in the use of a spear in melee combat. Goblins seldom have the money to afford heavy armor, and are so small that stealing it is pointless. Goblins join infantry quickly, especially if promised their freedom from the slave mines. Their cowardly nature makes the "longest-spear-available," their weapon of choice, and as such they generally get preemptive striking ability in melee combat. Like all of their race, Goblin warriors are able to move easily underground and see in the darkness. Goblins are also less resistant to magic than most creatures, but have an innate resistance to poisons.
I barely even see their numbers as I look over my forces. Little things with pipes, 'spears' barely as tall as me, and perhaps the most useful of them upon wolves and beetles. They exist purely to keep better troop alive.

Orc Assassin posted:

The Orcish assassins are some of the best trained Orcs alive, but they live in secret and not a part of normal Orc society. They come from families hopelessly disgraced and without honor, not afraid to use the subtle arts of concealment, to accomplish their means. As brute strength and savage fighting tactics come naturally to Orcs, assassins are carefully trained in the art of stealth and agility and the use of poison. In addition, the assassin can easily climb city walls to infiltrate and conquer unguarded towns.
Among Orc warriors, the ultimate insult is to be called an "Assassin," though they are quick to hold their tongue when one is present. Many an Orc warrior has disappeared after making disparaging remarks about the cowardly ways of the Orc Assassin.
That is not to say that all of my forces are fodder like them, from the Orc Legions I have acquired the service of two of their 'Undesirables', a thought that makes me laugh every time I think of it. Further proof of the superiority of my kind to even the Orcs is that they would consider such highly effective soldiers something to avoid instead of something to embrace and use to conquer all before them. What use is brute strength when the poison saps it? What use is strength when the blade falls upon the unwary brute? Nothing.

I brought along with me a selection of old magical tomes, just a few of the precious ones that survived the fall of the Valley. It is a sign of Meandor's believe in me and my importance to the Cult that he has provided such a resource to me. Every night I commit what I can to my mind and every morning I practice it. Though it is a tedious process and consumes many of the magical crystals that I form every day, it is important that I learn all the secrets that these works contain.

I know also that we will encounter many fortifications along the way, something that will keep away hordes of simple Goblin fodder, but are as useful as an open door against those 'Undesirable' Orc Assassins. A few of the braver Goblins claim that their big beetle can crush walls with its powerful jaws, but I have my doubts. What kind of name is "Big Beetle" anyways. Stupid simple creatures.

I head south out of the caves towards the path we used to get here, there was something that I noticed that I wish to investigate further. Not wishing to let the Keepers know that we are already present, I let the Goblins cower before the northern exit, all save for that 'Big Beetle'. Apparently the incompetent handler of it lost control of the disgusting beast and it went tunneling to the northeast.

The road I spotted to the south continues on to the east and then the north. One of my mewling 'cousins' was found along the road, sniffing flowers. Just a few glares from one of the Assassins was enough to get him to sing like a bird. My suspicions were correct, there's a large town further along this road.

Elf Swordsman posted:

The common Elven warrior is proficient in the use of a long sword in melee combat. These foot soldiers are lightly armored. Like all elves, Elven swordsmen feel most at home in forests and are able to move easily through heavily wooded areas. They also possess a slightly higher resistance to magic. Due to their fragile bodies, Elven warriors are not powerful or devastating. But they fight skillfully and nimbly, striking their opponents more often than not with every swing of the blade.
We left his corpse among his flowers.

Not long after that we came across a patrol of scouts traveling south along the road. I ordered my men into the woods to ambush them, a task at which the Assassins excel at, but the same could not be said of the Goblins and their wolves. One of them ruined my plans and alerted the scouts before they were in my trap.

Elven Scout posted:

Elves typically deploy mounted scouts instead of heavy cavalry. Elven scouts are trained to move quickly, even through dense forests. Armed with long swords, Elven scouts are very capable of defending themselves, but would not stand up to a heavily armored cavalry, such as that of the Orcs. Like all Elves, Elven scouts have a naturally high resistance to magic.
The scouts are dangerous, without a doubt, but it was important that they are eliminated before they flee back to the town and warn it of our approach. Only I alone could possibly give chase to them, and I didn't make it this far by being stupid.

The fight was as quick as it was brutal, an exhilarating thing to experience, especially when I looked into my 'cousin's eyes as life left his body, his blood upon my blade when I kicked him free of it. The Goblins and their wolves fought better than I had expected, taking one scout with each of them, but the Assassins felled the majority of the scouts with barely a thought.

After a few more days of riding we came upon the town that the one swordsman told us about. It is as I had hoped, the elimination of the patrol resulted in them being ill prepared for my assault.

Elf Archer posted:

Elves are naturally skilled archers. Experienced Elven Archers are considered magicians to all who wield the bow. Like all of their race, Elven archers feel most at home in the forests and are able to move easily through heavily wooded areas. They also have a naturally high resistance to magical attacks.
I knew their archers were close to their betters, my own kin. Quite proficient with the bow, they were poorly equipped to handle anyone sticking a blade in their face. Something the Assassins were eager to do.

Eager for the blood of the sun-touched fools, both Assassins set out towards the town, not even bothering to take to the shadows but instead staying out in the open, letting the fear from their approach run through the town. Panic gripped the defenders, causing them to go mad and charge out into the blades and poisoned darts of the Assassins.

But before that even happened I desired to demonstrate my mastery of the first spell from those books.

Raw lightning leapt from my fingertips, callously disregarding those once-imposing stone walls, jumping from man to man with vicious energy.

One fell to the power of the lightning, never to stand up again. The other two remained standing, but locked into place as their muscles refused to obey them. The assassins gave them no chance to recover.

Fear-filled eyes looked out of shuttered windows and closed doors as my men walked into the town. The former mayor was hung in the square, a warning to anyone who dared to cause us trouble. But that was only the start of their troubles. As soon as the town fell, roaming goblin packs from the surrounding lands started to move in and give the sun elves a taste of what it was like to be enslaved.

I approve.

The wonderful feeling of that spell leaving my fingers seemed to open my mind up to new possibilities. The door is not open yet, but I know that it will not stay closed to me much longer.

A runner brought word to me that the Goblins I left in the cave apparently were rejoined by that stupid beetle of theirs. Bolstered by its return, the little wretches journeyed to the surface and found the small encampment of their brethren that the Sun Elves let survive on this land. Apparently they were reconsidering that existence when the Goblins burst forth.

Through whatever passes as negotiation for those pathetic creatures a deal was worked out with goblins in the town. They could hold it against the Sun Elves, but they could not move forward. I left the two wolf riders behind in Milani and set forth with the Assassins.

As I traveled I continued to study those tomes, a spell of potential significance caught my eye, telling of the ability to draw the heat from large amounts of water, allowing for armies to travel over the ice. My meditations on the means by which such was possible provided me with the key to that door, further improving my magical aptitude.

Galley posted:

Galleys are large, armed ships. Thick wooden hulls enable them to withstand large amounts of damage and remain seaworth. Galleys are outfitted with a standard ballista on deck for protection and can transport up to six units at a time.
As I traveled the Assassins reported that there were a handful of Sun Elf ships plying the waters to the North. They said that there were more than just the crew on the boats, but they appeared content to hide upon the ships, no doubt afraid of these wonderful Orcish Murderers.

Goblin Bomber posted:

In a society of war and struggle, there is no place for the physically weak. Goblin society is especially harsh, as the Goblins have spent hundreds of years losing wars to the good beings such as the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves; and being betrayed and enslaved by the Orcs and Dark Elves.
In a desperate attempt to utilize all members of Goblin society in the war effort, those Goblins found not fit for regular combat are given large bombs to deliver to their foes' armies or city walls. Though no Goblin volunteers for the job, Bombers are heralded as true heroes.
As my companions and I reached that Goblin camp I beheld a most interesting and amusing sight. There were Goblin runts, pathetic even by their meager standards, that were judged to be less than useless with a spear. To find some use out of those wretched creatures the bigger Goblins (And I use that term loosely) strapped demolition charges to their backs and send them forward. I find this idea rather appealing.

Upon the fall of night I reorganized the Goblin Horde and prepared to strike out against the Sun Elves laying siege to the camp. Though we were outnumbered I knew that they wouldn't stand a chance against us. Even though one of the creatures of the forest had joined them.

Nymph posted:

Nymphs are timid, good-natured magical creatures who bear the appearance of the ideal female. They are at home in the woods and frequently ally themselves with other benevolent creatures of the forest, most often the Elves. While not at all warlike by nature, Nymphs will fight bravely if the welfare of their woodland home is threatened.
In combat, Nymphs are very weak. Their main strength is their ability to seduce male humanoids into servitude. Magical in nature themselves, Nymphs have a naturally high resistance to magic.
I remember encountering one of these creatures before the fall of the Valley. I was a foolish youth back then and I was enthralled by it. But no longer.

Elf Cleric posted:

Usually the most ancient of Elvenkind, Elven Clerics are bound to nature, from whence their power comes. They are keenly aware of the delicate balance of life and are dedicated to seeing it flourish wherever they may be. They are able to project their life energies in the form of a weapon, or if they choose, they can weave it into powerful spells for healing. Like all elves they can pass the forests effortlessly, and can entangle enemies with equal ease in the limbs and leaves of the forest maze. Elven Clerics stand against the powers of the undead and will sacrifice all to see such abominations destroyed. Elven Clerics do not seek power, and as such, it comes to them freely.
Also among their numbers was one of the elders, seen by many as being teachers of the old ways. A lot of good those old ways did us when the Humans came. He and all of his kind are responsible for the fall of the Valley, and they will all pay.

My forces advanced before me, the fodder before those of us of importance, and I counted down the seconds until I could cast lightning upon those deluded fools.

It started with the tendrils of lightning from my fingers, but soon the battle devolved into a chaotic melee, as such things are wont to do. My mastery of the art allowed me to cast more lightning forward, skillfully guiding it from foe to foe, my avoidance of striking the fodder with it purely to bring its potent energy upon the Sun Elves.

One of the fodder charged at the Nymph, but a sly look from it caused the weak-willed creature to fall to her whims.

I let my lightning be the implement of my displeasure, a warning to any other Goblin that may stray from the true path. What remained of the siege camp was overrun shortly afterwards, the survivors becoming playthings to the Assassins.

I doubt they will survive the night.

(Continued)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Cult of Storms, Mission 1, Part 2

With the destruction of the Sun Elf siege forces I was free to press further into the island. While I moved further to the north I sent one of the bomb-laden Goblins off to the East with instructions to cause trouble. To my surprise it turned out that the creature managed to take over two enemy fortifications. Apparently the clever little thing threatened to set the charge on its back off if they didn't give in, and the cowards did.

Elf Ranger posted:

Most Elves possess a fair degree of innate skill in archery and woodland survival, but the Elven Ranger has become a master of both. Elven Rangers prefer to live in the wild, away from civilization. Over time, they have learned not to fight the variety of natural settings, passing effortlessly through forests, crossing mountains, or swimming great expanses of water with ease.
Rangers are extremely versatile units which can be deployed as scouts, long range support or light infantrymen. In battle, the combination of exceptional archery skills and the ability to ably defend themselves in melee combat makes these fighters quite potent.
As I traveled north we came across a skilled hunter in the woods. Many idolized the Rangers, seen by some as being the purest expression of Elvenkind. For such a 'pure being' he certainly whimpered a lot when the blades found him.

Not long after the Assassins tired of the Ranger we came across a village in the woods. The garrison was surprisingly numerous, no doubt there to assist the siege of the Goblin camp to the south, though word hadn't reached them of the siege camp's destruction. Leaderless their resistance to our assault was almost completely ineffectual, resulting in just a few scant injuries among my troop.

As before the roaming Goblin packs in the surrounding lands swarmed into the village once the garrison was dead, chasing out the inhabitants. One of those packs brought word to me of a monster lair to the west, a haunted cave said to contain lost treasure.

Expecting little more than a few wild animals I set forth with my men.

What we found inside was both far worse than I imagined and something I can only dream of the possibilities of in the future.

Shadow posted:

Shadows are evil creatures which feed upon the fear of the dark and unknown. It is unclear as to how Shadows originate in this world. Some say they come from a place of shadow, while others claim they have always been here. Some believe they are the most hated and wicked of Dark Elves transformed into a truer form. Whatever the case, they have strong influence over Dark Elf society and religion.
A Shadow's ability to move undetected is most effective underground where there are no natural light sources. A being of pure darkness, Shadows reign through use of sheer terror.
Even as we fought to defend ourselves from these things, I felt a sort of kinship to them. I believe our future lies with these beings.

The fodder with us was less understanding. Their simple minds could not understand the glory before them and they were left trembling before the Shadows. Without its rider, the Beetle was helpless.

The Assassins, of course, were far less helpless. Though I doubt they could comprehend the possibilities either, the cleverness of their brutality saw them through. One of them found a magical axe deeper inside the cave and presented it to me.

With the powerful weapon in my hands I rode further north, the strange yet magically familiar comfort of the axe reassuring to me. The last of the small villages was overrun, first by the Assassins and then by the Goblin swarm.

It was then that I finally saw my prize, the Elf Queen herself, Elwyn. Her days were very numbered now, and I think she knew it as well as I, but like the craven coward she is she remained in her palace, hiding from inevitability.

My scouts reported a magical pool of blessed water north of the town as well as a shipyard to the south of it. We would need the shipyard later so I had some Goblins hold it, then I called up the hordes from the south for the final assault.

I felt myself smiling as the Goblins defiled that pool, stealing its blessing with their filthy fingers. With them before me and my Assassins we assaulted the town.

This is just a taste of the future before me. My hordes surrounding my foes, an unstoppable tide that will overcome all that dare to stand before me, Meandor, and the Cult.

As before it was my lightning that broke the false peace of the siege, the twisted bodies of the Sun Elves struck down by it the terrain that the fodder advanced over.

A coward to the end, the Queen remained hidden inside of her walls while her few retainers died upon Goblin spear. She foolishly thought that the walls would protect her.

But the walls are nothing to the Assassins. Her poison-swollen body was left out for the buzzards as we set torch to the town. There is nothing left for us here. Our future lies on the mainland.

A new task lies before me, the Halfling Lands are sorely pressed by their foes, the little things like scared rabbits before the predators. But their end is taking too long, Meandor has asked me to use my special touch upon the situation. But I must get there first.

The Northern Trade Route is the obvious approach, but it is a heavily traveled one most times. The war will have brought most of that traffic to a halt, but there remain patrols and the odd caravan upon it that may cause me trouble.

The second option before me is through the caves that run under the lands. Orc battle Dwarves for control of these caves, though the exact nature of the conflict I do not know well right now. I may find allies in those Orcs, or I may find myself between two warring groups.

------------------------------------

That's right, it's vote time! Northern Trade Route or the Subterranean Path.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Northern route because gently caress caverns forever.

Also, which way to the lizardmen?

Alsø alsø, why do you not link the music tracks? This game has the best soundtrack ever.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've thought about hosting the music. They're in .it format, so where would be the best place to put them if it's allowed.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Just a thought, you might find it easier to find music links off of Youtube. Also, let's do the Northern Trade Route, because it sounds a little more open and interesting. Besides, it's about time we enslaved some Halflings.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Crawling around in a dank cave like some kind of goblin? That's not what any self respecting elf would do! We'll march straight down the Northern Trade Route and introduce any patrols to our good ally Chain Lightning.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Northern Trade Route, we won't be forced back into caves ever again.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Taerkar posted:

I've thought about hosting the music. They're in .it format, so where would be the best place to put them if it's allowed.

If you buy this game through GOG.com they actually have the soundtrack to the game available as a free download in the mp3 format, so that might solve your problem.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Northern Route.

Enslave!

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Northern Trade Route

Pillage, then burn!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pierzak posted:

Northern route because gently caress caverns forever.
What's so bad about the caverns? Usually I slaughter both leaders in about a week of arrival and it's game tape solved.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Coolguye posted:

What's so bad about the caverns? Usually I slaughter both leaders in about a week of arrival and it's game tape solved.

Do not meddle with bandwagoning Goons, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'll have the next mission up tonight, hopefully.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

If you don't have either Nightvision, Cave Crawling, (like if you picked an Azrac or Lizard hero) or foreknowledge of the map, it becomes a harshly-timed blunderfest where you can't see or explore well, and it is easy to just bang your head into walls for days and lose too many troops to win.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...Insulting the Halfings? Yes.

Insulting their music? Fine.

Insulting their booze? Now it's on. Which is probably how they got the Halflings to fight.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Halflings have terrible constitution, they probably all have 'lite' booze.

Edit: And Zima.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Basarin posted:

Northern Trade Route

Pillage, then burn!

Think man, think!

BURN and then pillage. The only things worth pillaging don't burn up in fires- gems, money, golden pimpcups, etc. Small precious items that are easy to carry and barter with.

Burning poo poo down to the ashes makes finding these things easier. :colbert:

Caverns!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Most such things aren't usually pure, but plated. You risk damaging the underlying iron/wood/whatever. Plus you're forgetting carpets, paintings, maps to valuables, and the like.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Besides,let the goblins be thorough. Pillage, then burn...then pillage again just to be sure!

A win either way.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bloodly posted:

...Insulting the Halfings? Yes.

Insulting their music? Fine.

Insulting their booze? Now it's on. Which is probably how they got the Halflings to fight.
Insulting halflings' food is pretty much the only way to draw them into a bloody vendetta. Or a cookoff.

VVV: Oh yes, forgot about the ponies. That too.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 26, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

Insulting halflings' food is pretty much the only way to draw them into a bloody vendetta. Or a cookoff.

Or, in this game, they might just drown you in pony cavalry that they can produce from every village they own.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Northern Trade Route

Battle Macabre

The task before me is one that will require speed, I must reach the siege forces and command them before the Keepers start to rally. Regretfully I must depart company with the Assassins as they are simply too slow for the task ahead. I was expecting to travel alone to the Northern Trade Route, but the two wolf riders that I left to the south successfully tracked me down and accompanied me to my destination.

A small contingent of Goblins met me at a branch of the trade route and told me of a cave a little off to the north of the road. While it was a bit of a detour, I felt that it was important to obtain what treasure might lie within it.

Black Spider posted:

Black Spiders hide in shadowed pits, underground caverns, and scarcely traveled forest and wastelands. The Black Spider shoots strands of web at their prey, entangling them. When immobile, the spider sinks its sharp venomous fangs deep into its victim. Wizards employing the forces of evil have been known to pull these creatures from their dank homes to serve their cause.

The cave was infested by black spiders, vicious but useful giant arachnid that had clearly claimed more than a few wayward travelers that had foolishly used the cave as shelter during the night.

True to form they tried to ensnare us in their webs, fortunately for me the magical axe I took with me proved adept at cutting through their sticky webs, but one of the riders was not as lucky. Fortunately for him the spider that trapped him was quickly brought down before it could bite him.

A quick search of the lair revealed very little of significance, save for a gleaming helmet that seemed to resist the rot that affected every other piece of equipment around it. Feeling the power contained within it I took it for my own.

As we left the den, one of the riders reported a Goblin town a short distance away. As we had time before nightfall we set out for it. I would not want to risk becoming a meal in another cave that night.

The Goblins within it said that they would help to defend our rear from Keeper forces, but only in exchange for some coin. A few pieces of gold cannot compare to not having to worry about what's behind me.

I had hoped that I could obtain more Wolf Riders from the town, but they did not have any suitable wolves available, thwarting that plan.

They told me of a Halfling village not far to the south as well as a force holding a vital mountain pass not far up the road. The roadblock would have to be dealt with, but my Goblins were eager to take the Halfling village.

Ballista posted:

Although mechanically different from crossbows, ballistas function quite similarly. Ballistas are siege machines that are most effectively deployed at long ranges against other units rather than city walls. Their javelins are much more accurate and aerodynamic than the boulder of a catapult. Several ballistas can provide excellent cover for catapults and rams attempting to breach a city's outer wall.
Because of their heavy wooden construction, they are slow to move from place to place. These machines are also more fragile than catapults and can be more easily destroyed.
The reported presence of a Ballista at the roadblock did help my decision to ransack the Halfling town first.

In a manner so typical of their kind the Halflings were too busy with their games and feasts to bother building and defenses. I suspect they were having fourthmeal when the howls of the wolves came to their ears.

It felt good to cast lightning from my fingers again, and the way their little bodies twisted and danced as it coursed through them was quite entertaining.

The wolves fell upon the survivors, easily overwhelming them and allowing us to claim victory over the little annoyances.

I should have known that those annoying creatures would cause me yet more trouble. Apparently one of their priests avoided the wolves during the night and rallied some of the survivors to retake the town. I expressed my displeasure with him personally.

Halfling Cleric posted:

Halfling Clerics are the epitome of joy. Their entire religious philosophy revolves around the notion that life is about having joy and things that bring lasting happiness. While home life is central to halfling life, Halfling Clerics have been known to travel great distances just to learn a new joke that might cause every member of their community to laugh. Other Clerics spend years preparing a single prank, just to make the Satyrs and Leprechauns roll in the grass with guffaws.
Halfling Clerics can harness magical energies and propel them at their enemies either at a distance or in hand-to-hand striking. They consider the Undead to be an illness, and an assassin of joy, and as such Halfling Clerics will expend all their energies to turn it away. Halfling Clerics excel at healing and have a high resistance to magic, as well.
As I watched the electricity course through his body, I thought back to the last time I encountered one of his ilk. The damned thing just wouldn't stop asking me questions, seemingly taking every glare I gave to him as a challenge to ask me more. Maybe this was the same one.

The Wolf Riders take such joy in chasing down the Halflings. I heard some of them mocking the priest in their guttural tongue, telling him how the way their bones crack when the wolves eat them sounds just like the Halfling hard candies. An analogy I must admit seemed rather accurate, though I don't remember there being as much screaming. Adds to the flavor, I bet.

With that annoyance behind me I set off with my forces to deal with that roadblock. I had a dream the night before about that fearsome ballista, my sleep brought to a quick end as it drove huge bolts into my body.

With that dream fresh in my mind as we started battle, I had my riders stay outside of its range, hoping to lure its defenders into range of my spells instead.

It turns out my dream was almost about the wrong threat. One of the Halfling riders charged at me upon his pony and drove his spear into my side. Were it not for the Goblin Shaman so close to me I may have died right then.

I could feel my anger and rage from being injured so rush into my spell, the one that dared to strike me falling before me and many of his fellow defenders locked in seizures by my spell.

Unleash the wolves, as they say. Their jaws supping once more upon Halfling flesh as well as the crew of that siege weapon.

Feeling in a rather unpleasant mood after my wounding, I made sure that the last moments of the defenders' lives were wracked with agony as magical diseases ran through them. As a side note the wolves will eat anything.

Another two towns were past that roadblock, one of which I ignored and the other to which I dealt with. One of the wolf riders was dispatched to claim a mine that was spotted to the north.

That night in camp I found myself mastering another spell, granting me the ability to infuse one or more of my warriors with dark powers, making them a dangerous force in combat. As the spell slotted itself into my mind I felt my understanding of the magical arts growing, attainment just beyond my grasp.

We spotted a patrol of Halflings to the north, but they fled before my forces. I was about to give chase to them when an Orcish settlement was found just to the northeast.

Kobold posted:

Kobolds are small, sinewy, reptilian beings who inhabit the underground caverns. The most notable characteristic of these creatures is their large round eyes which emit a soft amber glow. Similar in size to the Goblins, Kobolds are even more primitive and savage. Kobolds live cooperatively with Orcs, obtaining shelter, food and protection from the great garbage mounds found within all Orc settlements. In return Kobolds devour any toxic substances and refuse which might harm the Orcs. Kobolds salvage old, lost weapons from the garbage, which they foul with poisons.
Their small size and ability to see clearly in the dark makes Kobolds effective underground scouts.
Like an indicator of Orc presence, one of the Wolf Riders brought a sniveling little Kobold back to the camp.

Orc Archer posted:

Orcish archers are about average in their skills, but can improve to be quite deadly. Most Orcs do not choose to be archers because it is commonly held to be cowardly, and so only clans in disgrace are forced to kill at great distances.
It told me two interesting things. First was that a company of Orc archers held the town, keeping the Halflings at bay, and second that another group of Wolf Riders had just passed recently, heading further to the East.

To my surprise not only did we find the riders but also their leader, Gorthak the Black. A notorious Goblin Raider, his blade was infused with dark energy, cursing any whom it may strike. He group was a patrol that detached from the siege forces to delay any attempts by the Keepers to relieve the United Cities. Upon hearing who I was and what I was doing, he and his riders joined my troop.

Just to the north of him was a small Halfling settlement. Gorthak and his riders quickly overwhelmed the town and ransacked it, leaving nothing but burnt husks behind.

Sensing that Speed was of the essence now, I sent back the non-mounted Goblins to the Orc village, which they convinced to join my banner.

Meanwhile we traveled through the poisonous swamps to the east. A rather unpleasant experience, but a necessary one for how pressed we were for time.

Dwarf Axeman posted:

Dwarves prefer to strike their enemy with an axe. And though it has led to some confusion and misunderstandings among the Elves, Dwarves do not use the battleaxe on trees. They can train to become quite proficient with both axe and shield.
Like other Dwarves, axemen are able to move easily underground and easily traverse large mountains. Their inborn hardiness also gives them a natural resistance to many magical effects and poisons.

Dwarf Archer posted:

Dwarven archers are about average in their ability to use a bow. Although Dwarven bows are smaller in size by necessity, their composite construction allows them to fire with the same power and range as larger bows. With practice and experience, Dwarven archers become more lethal with the bow and arrow. Like other Dwarves, they are able to move easily underground and traverse large mountains. Their inborn hardiness also gives them a natural resistance to many magical effects and poisons.
I sensed Dwarven eyes upon my force as we made our way through the swamp, but they were content to remain in their mountain fortress, no doubt clutching at their hidden wealth.

My suspicions proved correct as we rejoined the Trade Route, but still we were pressed for time. Down south we set off, traveling as fast as the wolves could handle. Tempting targets lay along the road, enticing the Wolf Riders to dart off and raid them, but Gorthak impressed me with his ability to keep them reined in.

A messenger bat brought me news from the rear. Apparently the Halfling patrol we spotted a few days ago got brave enough to attack the Goblin camps behind us.

The Goblins were able to destroy the patrol, however. Leaving many small bodies, swollen with Goblin Poisons and pricked with Goblin darts behind. Fit only for the scavengers.

Orc Swordsman posted:

Orcs, in general, are quite lazy and unmotivated. About the only thing that they can be convinced to do is fight. Fighting comes naturally to Orcs, and it is considered the utmost honor to swing a sword. Orcish warriors are renowned for their brute strength. They make especially tough foes for the average warrior.
As we rode south we happened upon an old grizzled Orc warrior. He told us that he was the last survivor of a raiding group and that he was heading south to rejoin the horde. According to him our destination lay ahead and was poorly defended. Something that brought a hungry grin to my Wolf Riders.

I had feared that my desire to reach our destination quickly would prove our undoing, but fortunately the laziness and hedonism of the Halflings was in my favor. No wall protected the goal.

The little fools were engaged in yet another one of their festivals as we arrived, no doubt to celebrate that it was Tuesday or something stupid like that. Showing a level of stealth that I did not think was possible for such creatures, the Wolves and their riders snuck into the town, drawing close to the revelry.

When the Halflings finally noticed the approach of my host they tried to rally and charge forward, but I had a spell ready for them.

The opportunistic instinct of the riders is quite a sight to see. As soon as the last tendrils of lightning dissipate from my fingers they pounce upon their intended prey, crude spear and vicious fangs sinking into scorched Halfling flesh.

What little resistance is offered is quickly silenced, the last of the Halflings falling to my magical prowess.

In the end it was a close victory, but one due to time, not due to any challenge I may have faced along the way. My arrival bolstered the forces laying siege, allowing for our plans to continue.

What lies before me is a task that will require more than just speed and viciousness. Siege Warfare is in my future, as well as the blood of many a filthy Keeper. I look forward to it.

But before that glorious moment occurs, I must first plan how I will do it. I have more resources now than I have in the past, but the Keepers are becoming stronger themselves.

Decision time everyone! And we've got two things to consider now. 1) What are we taking and 2) What are we going to do with our new hero, Gorthak.

We have 300 points available, but 62 of them are required to take Gorthak (No, that's not a choice). So that means that we have the 238 points left and the following choices:

3 Veteran Wolf Riders, 28 points each. At least one of these guys is close to elite
1 Goblin Shaman for 26 points
2 Wolf Riders, 28 points each. No adjustment for veterancy
3 Goblin Darters, 11 points each. Sadly we don't have the one Veteran as an option.
1 Orc Bowman, 15 points each
The Magical Helm, +1 Defense, for 40 points.
The Magical Axe, +1 Damage and Magical Strike, for 85 points.

Whatever points we have left over will be assigned to Gold. If you want more than one unit taken you will have to chose each one. I'll go with what's most popular until we run out of points.

For Gorthak I see a couple of options:

1) Sneaky Bastard - This would be to build him towards special tricks and abilities that will let him serve as a siege unit of sorts. A heavy emphasis on Melee Combat as well.
2) Another Caster - It'll take a while because he doesn't have Spell Casting yet, but there's always more magic
3) Heavy Melee - Hit lots of guys, hit them hard, do go down
4) Support Killer - A bit dangerous, but focuses on speed with the idea that he can kill the siege weapons and ranged troops before they get too dangerous
5) Wildcard! - I randomly determine what to do with his points each level. This will probably end up BADLY.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also, AoW III video HERE!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Wild card!
Sounds just right.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
1 Sneaky Bastard :human being: - 62 points
3 Veteran Wolf Riders :black101::black101::black101: - 84 points
1 Goblin Shaman :okpos: - 26 points
1 Magical Axe :dota101: - 85 points
43 Gold :20bux::20bux::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: - 43 points

Watching Halflings burn :supaburn: - priceless.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Let's take the three veteran wolf riders, both magic items, and turn Gorthak into a Sneaky Bastard

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

my dad posted:

1 Sneaky Bastard - 62 points
3 Veteran Wolf Riders - 84 points
1 Goblin Shaman - 26 points
1 Magical Axe - 85 points
43 Gold - 43 points

Watching Halflings burn - priceless.

Yeah, all these things. I mean, as fun as watching a useless hero get made through Wild Card would be, someone with all the bullshit skills like Scale Wall is too good to pass up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

my dad posted:

I can't argue with cleverly-arranged emoticons! Sounds good to me.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

my dad posted:

Voting for everything in this post.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Voting for everything. That is, Wild card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Definitely take the three veteran wolf riders and the magic equipment.

As for Gorthak, he's a right sneaky bastard.

• Locked thread