Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh right, the Ceadeus fight is a giant piece of fuckin' poo poo. I forgot.

I sure do love a fight where the first half is a boring, timed chase and the second half is a battle in a place where, if you have the slightest problem with depth perception, you're just straight up hosed. Oh, what's that? You'd like severely reduced mission time, too? Well sure, throw that in! There's no reason for it to be half an hour instead of the standard 50, but hey, we're Capcom and we hate you, so throw it in!

I'm told to break the horn, I break the horn. Apparently it was the wrong loving horn. Well thanks for specifying which particular horn break would magically win me the fight and repel the boss! I was even hitting the smaller one, so it was quite a surprise when the one I hadn't even touched once snapped off!

Trying to lure Ceadeus to where he'll actually be hit by the Dragonator is next to god drat impossible. He'll always be above you. Always. But apparently you must hit him with it and it has to hit him in just the right spot for the mission to 'count' or some stupid arbitrary horseshit!

Now I remember why this prick stopped me for so long in Tri. I got loving sick and tired of not doing the one seemingly random thing the game wanted me to in the fight. You can't take him down with your own power. It doesn't matter if you break one horn on your own. You have to hit him with the Dragonator and it has to break the smaller horn, I guess!

And now I've wasted lots of supplies and just over half an hour on a fight that was designed to be unwinnable the first few times you try it. Thanks, Capcom. That's some great boss design. And the best part is, you have to do this nonsense twice in a very short span of time. What... 'fun' that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh, what's that? You'd like severely reduced mission time, too? Well sure, throw that in! There's no reason for it to be half an hour instead of the standard 50, but hey, we're Capcom and we hate you, so throw it in!

Actually you could just get to the fight and then fail. Most people don't have the gear/skill to make it in time, so they will just wait for time to be up and come back to the mission. It starts you off at the arena fight with the full 30 minutes. (Great Game Design™)

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
This is me holding the circle pad pro if anyone needs a size reference, it's VERY bulky.

But it's also extremely comfortable and I can't imagine playing a game like this without it now.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
You're supposed to repel him the first time anyway. I just always go for the breaks, then come back and murder him. If you hate the fight though, you might like the subspecies more, it's a much more interesting fight.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Gobul is the biggest hit and run fight because his attacks might as well be explosions with how much AoE they have.

If you're indeed a hammer user his face hitbox is really big and easy to hit, and I might be wrong but he stuns easier than most bosses. You can also break the lantern easier.

Overall, just remember to keep the gently caress away when Gobul is about to do ANYTHING, and his soft spots are definitely his face, lantern and his topside.

Here's a diagram from the MH wiki:

Yeah with my hammer all I was able to do on him was face and lantern and topside damage because I still don't have a green hammer because I need Monster Bone+ so I can upgrade to that sweet Carapace tech. Was a pretty nailbiting fight if for no other reason than fucker gives me the willies.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

Actually you could just get to the fight and then fail. Most people don't have the gear/skill to make it in time, so they will just wait for time to be up and come back to the mission. It starts you off at the arena fight with the full 30 minutes. (Great Game Design™)

That's even dumber. Because the game also doesn't tell you, in any way, that you can do that. You fail because you can't do enough damage on your own and your little bobbleheaded friends keep distracting him so he won't come to the Dragonator, and then trying to line up a shot is terrible. You have to lure him down, then swim up to the Dragonator and try to get an angle on Ceadeus so you know when to fire. And then you still have to hope you luck out because of the delay.

Can you even leave the Shakalakas behind? There are air pockets along the way and if you take a full 10 Mini Oxy Supplies, you'll never have to worry about air. For all the hubbub the game makes about the Ancient Mask, it doesn't seem useful at all.

Reoxygenation posted:

You're supposed to repel him the first time anyway. I just always go for the breaks, then come back and murder him. If you hate the fight though, you might like the subspecies more, it's a much more interesting fight.

Man, stubbing your toe is more interesting than Ceadeus is. :v: What's Goldbeard like?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I would really like to be able to play with goons but I won't be able to get this for a few months. Will I be too late and everyone has moved on?

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Yea, the circle pad pro for the XL is amazing. Although it makes it more than twice as big, Now I can actually play without doing some weird claw and shape of the cpp make it more comfortable to hold the 3ds xl. Also, for some reason, it feels like I'm holding a game gear again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The worst thing about Ceadeus is that you can get a max of 1 tail per kill (that's kill, not fight) and a ton of his stuff requires multiples.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Weird question, can I fight all the monsters in the game solo? I have the DS edition but there is no overlap between my friends who own a 3DS and my friends who want to play monster hunter. I remember on Freedom Unite there was a lot of poo poo you could basically only do in a group.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

What weapons are good for cutting and smashing monsters for their bits so I can wear them?

Hunting Horns, lances and gun/bows can all do both cutting and smashing. For the most part you do not need to go to that extreme for parts though. Very few monsters have parts that can only be broken with smashing and tails can only be cut. You can do equally well with any weapon, but hammers can't cut tails so there's that.

Do remember though that when breaking any part or cutting tails ANY damage adds to the damage needed to break it but only the correct damage type will finish the job. So if you hammer the poo poo out of a tail and then toss a throwing knife at it it'll pop right off. Or shoot a part with a bow then finish the break with cutting ammo. On the downside there is no indication of when a part is ready to break.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Also are there any visual/audio indicators that I've finished a break in general, like a smashing noise maybe, or does it vary from monster to monster?

The mob will flinch, shrapnel will fly, and the area broken will look damaged. Tails are pretty obvious, but things like raths wings can be a little hard to tell (especially when he's actively trying to eat you)

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Weird question, can I fight all the monsters in the game solo?

Yes, but you might hate yourself and the game by the time you're done. It'll be hard, but with the right gear (I.E. massive amounts of grinding) and a lot of practice (that you got from the grinding) any mob can be solo'd.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 24, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is Ceadeus still offline-only or are there online quests for him now?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Republicans posted:

Is Ceadeus still offline-only or are there online quests for him now?
Goldbeard Ceadeus is online.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Usually when you break a bodypart, like Rathian's wings or head, there'll be a little shower of scale pieces and he'll flinch and the affected area will have pretty visible pinkish scars on it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Have we agreed on how goon meetups are gonna work and stuff, or do we have an IRC channel?

Piff
Apr 9, 2009
So... how exactly do bows work?

I used a bowgun in Tri and I'm trying out Bow this time around. Specifically, what's the damage like for a regular charge shot versus the arrow rain move? I imagine it depends on what charge shot your bow has, but I'm not really sure when I should be using which. Like say my hunting horn buddy gives me infinite stamina, should I go nuts spamming charge shots or should I stick with the rain?

Also, I heard the arrow rain does exhaust damage? Or KO damage? Or are those the same thing? I don't really know how that works.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
What's the quickest way to get a poison bomb or a bow/gun that can use poison ammo? I'm desperate for this Monster Fluid but I don't have anything to make the bugs carvable.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

What's the quickest way to get a poison bomb or a bow/gun that can use poison ammo? I'm desperate for this Monster Fluid but I don't have anything to make the bugs carvable.

There are bug hunt quests. In the SP an altaroth hunt is one of the first quests you get and they give you poison bombs for carves, as well as quest rewards. Same goes for the bnahabra.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 24, 2013

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Bobnumerotres posted:

Have we agreed on how goon meetups are gonna work and stuff, or do we have an IRC channel?

From Emalde's very nice OP:

Emalde posted:

Join us on IRC! #monsterhunter @ irc.synirc.net

:siren: Join the IRC/PM or IM one another if you want to organize games, please stop posting your PSN/Friend Codes/(A/S/L) in the thread in a vain attempt at organizing a group to play with, it's spammy and doesn't really do much!! :siren:

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
If you are a bow-user, please do not only use the arrow rain move. It has its uses, sure, but it also trips up anyone who gets caught in it. I just fought a Gigginox online with a person who only used arrow rain. It's useful when he's on the ceiling, but when it stops my superpound charge, it's very annoying! :argh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I even made a bigass header image. I hate you, with every fiber of my being. :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Emalde posted:

I even made a bigass header image. I hate you, with every fiber of my being. :negative:

Came here from the other thread, thought it would be a similar OP. I'm so sorry.

I'll be sure to get on the IRC and hunt with some goons.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Came here from the other thread, thought it would be a similar OP. I'm so sorry.

I'll be sure to get on the IRC and hunt with some goons.

The other thread had a frogsiren instead of a header, but IRC was still at the top. :geno:

Piff
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Trampoline posted:

If you are a bow-user, please do not only use the arrow rain move. It has its uses, sure, but it also trips up anyone who gets caught in it. I just fought a Gigginox online with a person who only used arrow rain. It's useful when he's on the ceiling, but when it stops my superpound charge, it's very annoying! :argh:

That's funny, but I don't think I've had any complaints from my friends actually. Maybe we've just accepted the fact that we're going to constantly knock each other around. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been launched through the air by a switch axe or hunting horn. But hey, at least I'm not using a longsword anymore.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bobnumerotres posted:

There are bug hunt quests. In the SP an aptonoth hunt is one of the first quests you get and they give you poison bombs for carves, as well as quest rewards. Same goes for the bnahabra.

drat, I'm a blind idiot! I knew I remembered killing bugs in Tri before where I am right now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ceadeus talk: Doesn't Ceadeus have a specific scripted sequence where he swims right in front of the Dragonator after he gets out of rage mode? I remember he gave me a bit of trouble my first time through, but I don't remember lining up the Dragonator being one of the issues I had.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Ceadeus talk: Doesn't Ceadeus have a specific scripted sequence where he swims right in front of the Dragonator after he gets out of rage mode? I remember he gave me a bit of trouble my first time through, but I don't remember lining up the Dragonator being one of the issues I had.

Not even when he gets out of rage mode. The instant you enrage him, you can go wait by the button. He'll swim far out, but then immediately come back and just plant his face hole right in front of those massive spikes. :getin:

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

Monster Fluid can be carved off of Giggis too.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dinotron posted:

Monster Fluid can be carved off of Giggis too.

Really, this was the best thing to happen in Tri.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

It looks like the app that lets you figure out what charm table you are on arent working. Is there any way I can figure out what table im on now?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Farming Lagi for plates would be mind numbing if he weren't really fun to fight.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A link to the original japanese site would help me out a lot, I should be able to navigate it. I just wanna check my table!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Machai posted:

Elemental damage is not modified by the attack used to apply it, unlike physical damage. Therefore, to maximize elemental damage to a specific part, you want to hit it as often as possible, not as "hard" as possible. This makes the Hammer's whirlwind attack the best hammer attack to deal elemental/status damage, but not very good at dealing raw damage.

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but my understanding is that in MH3U Elemental damage DOES get modified by some attacks. I know it does for the GS Charge at the very least. Logic would dictate that it would work like that across the board then, but this is Capcom so :iiam:.

Ciaphas posted:

So just making sure here, this means that maximizing my item hunting efforts means breaking every available part AND capturing the monster, right?

I guess then I need to learn a weapon other than long sword. What weapons are good for cutting and smashing monsters for their bits so I can wear them?

(edit) Also are there any visual/audio indicators that I've finished a break in general, like a smashing noise maybe, or does it vary from monster to monster?

Longsword is just fine for breaks, there are very few (none in MH3U?) breaks that require an impact weapon. If you want to maximize breaks a cutting weapon is ideal because the most important one is generally cutting off the tail. Breaks will always be accompanied by a shower of debris flying off the part that broke, accompanied by a visual change in the part (wings get shredded, horns are snapped off, etc), and barring weird corner cases (break causes a minor flinch and the monster cancels it with a rage), they will always flinch the monster.

On the topic of Ceadeus, I'm not sure if this is the case in MH3U (since I repelled him without it then didn't bother farming him) but in MH3 if you swam over to the Dragonator it would trigger an AI routine where he would swim down then up past it giving you a perfect shot. He would do this 100% of the time if he wasn't raging, you just have to wait by the Dragonator for a little bit. He also only has one horn break, the big one, to trigger it you just have to hit his head/horns, doesn't matter which. It doesn't trigger the repel though, that is triggered by doing enough damage to him. I always liked that fight because it's all about how efficient you can be. With good positioning and knowledge of how to maximize your weapon you can just take him apart piece by piece and it's really satisfying.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 24, 2013

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Meme Emulator posted:

A link to the original japanese site would help me out a lot, I should be able to navigate it. I just wanna check my table!

If you're far enough into the game that you're getting charms, you can compare your drops to the ones in the Charm Tables using this: http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/6766-athenas-charm-table-search-for-monster-hunter-3g-monster-hunter-3u/

One interesting thing that I think should be in the OP, that I learned from that program, is that the odds of randomly starting on a cursed table are about 1%. So while it's a big deal if you ARE on a cursed table, it's also highly unlikely.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Cronodoculous posted:

One interesting thing that I think should be in the OP, that I learned from that program, is that the odds of randomly starting on a cursed table are about 1%. So while it's a big deal if you ARE on a cursed table, it's also highly unlikely.
Surely it's ~29.4% (seventeen tables, five of them cursed)?

e: Played MH3U for the first time today, never played a Monster Hunter game and I am having fun hitting stuff with two swords. The obligatory bit with running from Lagiacrus while farming Epioth for their guts was great, and from the sounds of it it can only go up from there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cellophane S posted:

This is me holding the circle pad pro if anyone needs a size reference, it's VERY bulky.

But it's also extremely comfortable and I can't imagine playing a game like this without it now.

That still looks a bit smaller then the wiiU pad (no I'm not joking). The WiiU pad has a 7inch tablet screen in it basically. Then you have all the hard buttons which is big because having small stuff on the massive thing would be stupid. The 3DS felt like it was built for a kid, the wiiU feels like it was built for an adult. I haven't had the chance to use an XL yet but I hear they are really nice and feel like they were built for adults. I would not be surprised to see a wiiU pad that is smaller (designed for children) hit the market once the price of manufacturing goes down. Some 3rd party will make an XL one because hey why not have a 10inch screen! I'd actually really REALLY love to see an android app and let me save on a 2nd pad and just snap a tablet into a dock and let it be used as the 2nd pad if any 2 pad games ever come out.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

pixaal posted:

That still looks a bit smaller then the wiiU pad (no I'm not joking). The WiiU pad has a 7inch tablet screen in it basically. Then you have all the hard buttons which is big because having small stuff on the massive thing would be stupid. The 3DS felt like it was built for a kid, the wiiU feels like it was built for an adult. I haven't had the chance to use an XL yet but I hear they are really nice and feel like they were built for adults. I would not be surprised to see a wiiU pad that is smaller (designed for children) hit the market once the price of manufacturing goes down. Some 3rd party will make an XL one because hey why not have a 10inch screen! I'd actually really REALLY love to see an android app and let me save on a 2nd pad and just snap a tablet into a dock and let it be used as the 2nd pad if any 2 pad games ever come out.

I have both the 3DS XL w/ Circle Pad Pro XL and the WiiU and I can confirm the WiiU Gamepad is bigger. It's probably about an inch and a half wider and an inch taller, but they are equally thick. I find the CPP XL to be really comfortable as a 6'2" guy with pretty big hands. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the CPP XL just due to the fact that I like the r-stick location (to the right instead of above), but they are both really comfy and easy to use.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EthanSteele posted:

drat, I'm a blind idiot! I knew I remembered killing bugs in Tri before where I am right now.

Also the Jaggi light bowgun is probably the first one you'll get that can use poison shot. It does have a slight left deviation to its shots, though. I'd still just go with poison bombs, because shooting bnahabras with that gun's poison shot still shattered them. It left altaroths intact, though!

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Crosscontaminant posted:

Surely it's ~29.4% (seventeen tables, five of them cursed)?

e: Played MH3U for the first time today, never played a Monster Hunter game and I am having fun hitting stuff with two swords. The obligatory bit with running from Lagiacrus while farming Epioth for their guts was great, and from the sounds of it it can only go up from there.

I don't think I've seen 30% of the people in this thread say they've had to reset from a cursed table, though, I think it'd be wrong to just assume all the tables have the same chance of being chosen. Either way I'm just repeating what that charm table program says, I assume they'd know the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does the multi option in Tanzia actually do anything if you choose either the marina or tavern instead of Network Mode on the Wii U? What about on the 3DS?

• Locked thread