Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Man, that looked like Harumafuji speared Tochinoshin out of the dohyo. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Probably he wanted to hit the showers sharpish :v:

Baruto looks like he's a roll, much more stable than previous basho's.

Day 3, Harumafuji v Takayasu, looks like Takayasu has taken after Hakuho's book with that elbow to the face there. Harumafuji looked like he had it in the bag until he overextended or something. Anyway, capitalizing on the errors of your opponent is a key skill anyhow.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what a throw by chiyotairyu... if that's a skill that remains in his arsenal, he's going places.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 4 videos without the results: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=201303&d=4&hideresults=on

Another sloppy bout by Harumafuji there, nicely taken advantage of by Chiyotairyu. Kotooshu isn't going great either. Masunoyama on the other hand caught that henka nicely.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
as much as i like harumafuji, i'm very happy with that result. can't believe we're only 4 days in and it's already hakuho's tournament to lose, though

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Great find on sumogames with the results turned off... I wish I had known you could do that. I'm going to add that to the OP.

Holy poo poo Hakuho, what was that? That shove at the end was Asashoryuan. Then he helps him up. Dude is seriously bipolar.

Excellent launch into orbit by Masunoyama. Much more exciting than usual in the lower maegashira in general. Kitataiki v Shohozan was unreal. Did one of them gently caress the other's wife or something?

Agreed {a false} - tournament odds just went through the roof and the Ozeki are generally looking like poo poo so far.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
The lack of Kintamayama's coverage is killing me. I usually watch on the bus on the way to work now I have to try to sneak matches in here and there. Thank you for the sumogames link though, really helpful!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

The lack of Kintamayama's coverage is killing me. I usually watch on the bus on the way to work now I have to try to sneak matches in here and there. Thank you for the sumogames link though, really helpful!

You can also go to araibira 's Youtube page and start from the bottom and watch them in order. I've been doing that on my phone every morning in 15 minutes or less. Also, I thought araibira announced his retirement - did kintamayama convince him to come out of it while he was out of town?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Araibira is like the Batman. When he's needed he comes out of retirement to help the undeserving masses, namely us.

Edit: That being said, though, I really miss Kintamayama's videos too. He always makes me chuckle a little bit and puts things into context.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Sitting in the West wing of the tournament today. Got a great view, and brought my camera. I'll upload pics tonight or tomorrow. So excited!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uber Kosh posted:

Sitting in the West wing of the tournament today. Got a great view, and brought my camera. I'll upload pics tonight or tomorrow. So excited!

I had a blast sniping up-close shots with my 200mm lens when I went - but I had the same angle that the TV has. I'd love to see the stuff from your angle!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

What in the world is going on with Harumafuji? Is it typical to see a Yokozuna loose this often?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

What in the world is going on with Harumafuji? Is it typical to see a Yokozuna loose this often?

I think we've been a little spoiled by a succession of some of the most dominant yokozuna in sumo history in Hakuho and Asashoryu. Not every yokozuna is going to be like those guys.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think we've been a little spoiled by a succession of some of the most dominant yokozuna in sumo history in Hakuho and Asashoryu. Not every yokozuna is going to be like those guys.

This. A thousand times this. I've been running the numbers on yokozuna versus maegashira performances in particular. Hakuho's outstrips anyone with a 96.5% win rate, followed by Tamanoumi at 95.1%, Chiyonofuji at 90.9%, Taiho at 90.0% and Asashoryu at 89.3%. That's four of the top five all time, as far as tournament wins are concerned. Tamanoumi might very well have been part of that group if hadn't he died when he did.

Performance versus maegashira doesn't of course tell everything, but as Harumafuji demonstrated this tournament, if you don't win them, you're out of contention pretty much before you encounter the big guns.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
http://youtu.be/QD1mNLETsWQ Gagamaru vs Kaisei Day 6.

Gagamaru doesn't put his hand down, but waves it front of the line. Does that start the match too? Is there some other rule in effect because his wrist is injured?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I want an animated GIF of that finishing move for Harumafuji vs Baruto. Goddamn.

And I am now convinced that Asashoryu is wrestling while wearing a Hakuho suit while the real Hakuho lies in a garbage bag in the Sea of Okhotsk. What is UP with his post-victory jerkbagness?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

As for that Gagamaru bit, I guess the gyoji didn't see or didn't bother to call a matta.

As for Hakuho, maybe assholeishness increases asymptotically as he approaches Asashoryu?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

As for that Gagamaru bit, I guess the gyoji didn't see or didn't bother to call a matta.

As for Hakuho, maybe assholeishness increases asymptotically as he approaches Asashoryu?

Outfuckingstanding. That's what a yokozuna does, adapt and overcome, whoosh!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Outfuckingstanding. That's what a yokozuna does, adapt and overcome, whoosh!

Forget soccer- sumo GIFs rule. I need to Google how to do that and start my own personal smackdown gallery. My wife is still laughing about that one and she doesn't know jack about sumo.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm finding it fascinating watching the lower divisions. A lot of it looks the same as makuuchi, but with the slower pace and no crowd energy it's an odd experience. These are pretty much teenagers, right?

And you get bouts like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsdLQ8g7Ng

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I'm finding it fascinating watching the lower divisions. A lot of it looks the same as makuuchi, but with the slower pace and no crowd energy it's an odd experience. These are pretty much teenagers, right?

Classic 400lbs monster vs. 150lbs kid. Always interesting. Now, I know the gyoji makes winner declaration in a unique voice but that gyoji sounded like he had gravel in his throat. Is it important for them to get that high pitched strained voice down pat?

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

dupersaurus posted:

The big guy was really, really slow in the match I saw him in. Like, people even half his weight would be running circles around him.

Still trying to find a decent place to upload my photos from Day 7. Any good recommendations?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uber Kosh posted:

The big guy was really, really slow in the match I saw him in. Like, people even half his weight would be running circles around him.

Still trying to find a decent place to upload my photos from Day 7. Any good recommendations?

Imgur is the official Goon-approved place from which you can directly link photos, but as far as doing a full album dump you can just use Picasa and link to it. Just create a new Google account if you don't want it connected to your personal one.

And with that it looks like Hakuho has officially put a bow on this yusho. Apparently a good dose of piss and vinegar was just what he needed to get back to his dominating ways. He has been completely unstoppable. I think Harumafuji is likely going to die on Sunday.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Not to mention that if he wins against Kakuryu tomorrow (which is quite likely given current shape and previous encounters), Harumafuji'll be the only one standing between him and a record ninth zensho yusho.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Guess whos back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lylN0G2Mwg4

Mister Twister
Oct 22, 2010
So you guys got me following sumo this most recent tournament (basho?) and goddamn Hakuho is dominant, seems to be a step faster, an arm stronger and seems to be aware of the oppenents weight shift more than any other competitor this tournament. I sat through some of his earlier matches, but these most recent games he seems to be full of confidence and definitely owns the ring.

Mister Twister fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 23, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1HGWaKhTso.

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is1EU4Nsn9Y.

Nice final bout between Hakuho and Harumafuji, really put in an effort there.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

In other news, Miyabiyama, who will now be remembered for being a Juryo whipping boy at the end of his career instead of an ex-Ozeki, has finally read the writing on the wall and has announced retirement.

Really interested to see how things go with Harumafuji now. He is technically off to a better start than the disappointing Wakanohana at least. But Wakanohana was also from an era of 4 Yokozuna while Harumafuji is one of two with nobody else even close to being a Yokozuna threat. He can't be losing 6 but once in a blue moon, let alone twice in 3 tournaments.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fryhtaning posted:

In other news, Miyabiyama, who will now be remembered for being a Juryo whipping boy at the end of his career instead of an ex-Ozeki, has finally read the writing on the wall and has announced retirement.

Really interested to see how things go with Harumafuji now. He is technically off to a better start than the disappointing Wakanohana at least. But Wakanohana was also from an era of 4 Yokozuna while Harumafuji is one of two with nobody else even close to being a Yokozuna threat. He can't be losing 6 but once in a blue moon, let alone twice in 3 tournaments.

I think you're underestimating everyone's ability to forget the lovely tail-ends of athlete's careers. I don't think a misguided attempt to gut it out in Juryo cancels out a year plus as Ozeki.

I have a feeling that Harumafuji is about the same level as the other Ozeki, but with much better hot-streaks. He had the fortune of having one really long hot-streak, which is all that an Ozeki really needs to make Yokozuna. I hope another one or two of the current Ozeki class are somehow able to pull off two straight wins and make it to Yokozuna, but I doubt they will with how insanely dominant Hakuho is.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just started following sumo with the OP in this thread so I guess I've come to expect that all Yokozuna will perform like Hakuho. I guess that an unfair assumption.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Funkysauce posted:

I just started following sumo with the OP in this thread so I guess I've come to expect that all Yokozuna will perform like Hakuho. I guess that an unfair assumption.

He's making a serious case for being possibly the greatest of all time.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

It really is. And to be honest, a healthy Harumafuji going 9-6 every tournament and keeping the kinboshi relatively low is better for sumo than a lot of the pre-Asashoryu/Hakuho yokozuna were. As Yokozuna, Musashimaru missed most of 3 tournaments, and then either missed completely or dropped out early from his last 7. Akebono missed or dropped out of 12 tournaments scattered throughout his Yokozuna career. Wakanohana - 7 of his 10 basho as Yokozuna. Even the legendary Takanohana had 17 injury-affected basho as Yokozuna. The other difference is that when those guys weren't hurt, they were winning 11, 12+ each basho, so going 9-6 twice looks pretty bad for Harumafuji.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I hope another one or two of the current Ozeki class are somehow able to pull off two straight wins and make it to Yokozuna, but I doubt they will with how insanely dominant Hakuho is.

I was thinking the other day that considering how, in the face of the match-fixing scandal, the fact that we haven't had MORE ozeki and yokozuna is evidence that there is no corruption in the top ranks. I don't know why I even remember this as I haven't played WoW in 6 years, but I remember that they used to take turns building up the next closest Grand Marshal so he could buy all his top PvP poo poo and then bow out so the next person could have his turn. When you really think about it, all that has to happen is for someone to pass around a napkin to all the sanyaku at some banquet or something that reads "Kisenosato is next, pass it on", with a wink and a nod from everyone knowing that they'd get their shot eventually, and we could have 8 yokozuna at one point. Just throw your one match with the yokozuna-in-training and stomp everyone else as normal.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Harumafuji reminded me of something you'd see nearing the end of a football season. They've avoided relegation, aren't going to finish anywhere near the places that qualify for European, but still have a number of games left in the season. What happens then is they just coast along and maybe if they've got a match against a rival break a sweat or something. Coasting like that is unbecoming for anyone, but especially so at his rank.

The ozeki as a group weren't putting in much of an effort either. Kisenosato is the only one that gets a pass for actually breaking into the double digits, but I'd have to wonder what Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku are doing, coasting along, barely making kachikoshi like that. One Kotooshu is enough.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Natsu banzuke is out. I'm pretty new to the whole sumo thing but Okinoumi seemingly gets a huge push from M7 to a titled rank (komusubi) and there are a lot more new wrestlers in the makuuchi rankings then I remember seeing previously. Two weeks to go!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What time are the bouts held JPN time (for Makuuchi)? I'll be in Japan then in a small town and I'll have nothing to do other than go to some bar and see if they have sumo on.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
4 to 6 pm on NHK if you only have basic cable, earlier if you get the BS channels. Sometimes the first hour gets cut in favor of Japanese C-SPAN. It kind of sucks.

I tried to go to bars to watch sumo in Osaka and Hiroshima and no one ever played it. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kikkoman posted:

4 to 6 pm on NHK if you only have basic cable, earlier if you get the BS channels. Sometimes the first hour gets cut in favor of Japanese C-SPAN. It kind of sucks.

I tried to go to bars to watch sumo in Osaka and Hiroshima and no one ever played it. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Ahaha, no way then. There is only one bar in the town and I will definitely still be working at 6pm.

I totally understand the cutting in and out, I was watching the Japan series baseball playoffs on basic cable last year and they would just cut out for some news program for a few innings.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Natsu banzuke is out. I'm pretty new to the whole sumo thing but Okinoumi seemingly gets a huge push from M7 to a titled rank (komusubi) and there are a lot more new wrestlers in the makuuchi rankings then I remember seeing previously. Two weeks to go!

That's a pretty huge jump for Okinoumi, who wasn't exactly dominating at M7. My only guess is some benefit due to him being sanyaku before. I can only hope Homasho gets the same treatment at the bottom of Juryo, assuming he dominates, or else we may not see him back in Makuuchi til next year.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if osunaarashi gets a makushita yusho at MS7 he could concievably jump up to juryo next basho (but more likely MS1). if he keeps performing as he has, he could potentially end up in makuuchi before the end of the year. i hope it happens, it seems like he adds dimensions to his form every basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Basho starts on Sunday right? About time! It's also Japan Day in Central Park on Sunday (and Mother's Day). I wonder if they will have any sumo-related things there.