Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Commissar Ken posted:

I'll promise not to shake them out of you if you'll just tell me where I can find some Monster Bone+s so I can make MY Carapace hammer.
I got quite a few from HR1 quests online, definitely from Rathian and I think from Gobul as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Commissar Ken posted:

I'll promise not to shake them out of you if you'll just tell me where I can find some Monster Bone+s so I can make MY Carapace hammer.

I think I got mine from Gobul, and got them both in one go. No need to be online.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

There is definitely a noise Rathian makes that sounds like a deflating balloon and I can't unhear it.

Lagiacrus makes a noise when he charges, I swear it's the exact same soundbit as the jawa cry from star wars 4

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

gobbledygoat posted:

Lagiacrus makes a noise when he charges, I swear it's the exact same soundbit as the jawa cry from star wars 4

Funny thing with foley is that a lot of sound effect stuff comes from licensed libraries and the libraries are used for decades(just look at the Wilhelm Scream). So there is a chance that some of the base sounds they used for jawas are used for the Lagi too. Hell, the Rathian balloon noise could actually BE a balloon.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Every time Great Jaggi does his side barge thing I can't stop hearing this ridiculous "HEY! :haw:". Nobody else seems to hear it, and I think there may be something wrong with my brain.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

When Lagiacrus does his spin charge thing, there is very audibly a cat cry thrown in the roar.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the links for the table calculators don't work (they fail to generate actual results, stuff times out). Is there another mirror of it somewhere.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

When Lagiacrus does his spin charge thing, there is very audibly a cat cry thrown in the roar.

It's the same thing with a Royal Ludroth, and an eagle cry as well. It seems an odd choice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

You can't farm anything that is used in weapon and armor crafting/upgrading.

But Thunderbugs can be farmed and are used in crafting armor/weapons?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Killed my first pink rathian in 12 mins flat... Clocked in a little over 40 hours since launch. Having tons of fun. Finished a high rank barroth set and now have +15 attack +10 artillery +10 auto guard +10 defense and +10 defender -9 hunger. Seems like it might carry me to g rank haven't really looked to see what else is out there.

So much more content than tri it's scary.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Potsticker posted:

But Thunderbugs can be farmed and are used in crafting armor/weapons?
Which is interesting cause I'm pretty sure Thunderbugs weren't farmable in Tri. Maybe they changed it so people wouldn't have such a hard time making traps.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Vile posted:

Every time Great Jaggi does his side barge thing I can't stop hearing this ridiculous "HEY! :haw:". Nobody else seems to hear it, and I think there may be something wrong with my brain.

I hear this all the time.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just had one of those moments when I realized I should have figured something out sooner: Finish any quests with "(Canteen)" in the title. You'll level up your ingredients for the felyne kitchen, which will mean better food buffs. :eng101:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wahay. I wandered into Moga Woods at night and caught a Purple Ludroth. Hell of a battle. I was scrounging for Herbs to heal and had to do two runs to the base camp to sleep off poison. Decided the Arzuros armor wasn't cutting it. Unfortunately I haven't made a ton. I was rushing through the Tri content to get to the new stuff!

Now I have Barroth legs, Volvidon helmet, and the rest is Rathalos gear. With my Volvi Hammer, I had enough baked in skill points and open slots to get Attack Up (M), Speed Sharpener, and Tremor Res on it. Gonna beef this stuff up and go fight some new guys!

Also? My hunter looks like a Kamen Rider. It's kinda awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Speedboat Jones posted:

Typically the things you do on the farm are for consumables and that sort of thing. You plant berries and mushrooms that are used in making bowgun ammo, for example.

Also, gently caress yes. I got a mystery charm that appraised to an attack +4 charm. With some extra gems, my low rank Barroth set now has Attack up M and the hunger penalty has been taken off. :woop:

edit: Anybody figured out yet how many vouchers from the Bullfango event quest will be needed to make and fully upgrade the lance and gunlance?

For the gunlance, I know you need one to make, two to upgrade once, but not sure how many for the final upgrade.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Can spider webs be cultivated? Shock traps are easy enough to get thunderbugs for but I haven't seen a web in a long time.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Spider webs have to be collected the old fashioned way. I just trade for pitfall traps with the argosy captain.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chacha. Kayamba. Get out of the loving car.

They've gotten me killed for the last time! 40 minutes down the drain because those dumbasses decided "Hey, the Pink Rathian's angry and at her nest in the Peak - I know what I'll do, I'll run over to where my minion is standing, with all of 10HP, poisoned from her taking off into the air!"

Thanks, Chacha! Thanks, Kayamba! That was the third death you've been directly responsible for. On that one mission. Every single time I've died it was because Rathian got mad and they bee-lined at me. Which is great, because I ran out of antidotes quite early and was doing all I could to keep alive. When they killed me and made me fail the mission I was about 2 steps from exiting zone 2 so I could go rest at the bed at base camp to come back and finish her off. She was limping and I'd gotten a long combo with a knockdown in when she got mad. I almost had it. That's the worst kind of loss. When you're almost there but because something stupid happened, you have to start all over again. Minus resupply fees.

I wanna see what kind of AI programming went into those two. Because with how they act, it must've taken 2 hours with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle. I'm booting them and flying solo. All they do is get me killed. Armor can't get any better than it currently is. I've Armor Sphered it up as much as I can with the current level I have access to. Just gotta bring double the antidote supplies and no useless Shakalakas next time I try taking out a Pink Rathian.

I can't be the only one they keep killing. You guys have any stories of them suddenly deciding to be cowards and leading an enraged monster straight into you?

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

I don't get it, if you're so mad at them why don't you just tell them to stop following you into quests?

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

ChibiSoma posted:

If they weren't there, the Rathian would always target you. I'm not sure how you think not taking them along is going to keep you from being charged. With them, at least you have a chance of them drawing agro somewhere else.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm new to the series, quickly falling in love, but need advice from some of you more experienced hunters. I'm about 10 hours in and have been using Dual Swords almost the whole time. I love the crazy "I'm going to spin around until you die" feel to them, but feel like I'm missing out on the more technical aspects of the combat system.

I'd like to branch out to either a longer, heavier weapon, or a ranged weapon, so theoretically it seems like I should try Gunlances. Am I totally off base here? I realize combat is going to be drastically different, but is there anything in particular I should know/keep in mind as I'm learning how to kill stuff with the new weapon?

Edit: That is, anything not included in either the OP or the largely useless in-game tutorial?

Also, if skills don't have any effect until you raise them to +10, does that also apply to resistances? I'm at -8 fire resistance, and have no real idea how that affects me.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 25, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

ChibiSoma posted:

They've gotten me killed for the last time! 40 minutes down the drain because those dumbasses decided "Hey, the Pink Rathian's angry and at her nest in the Peak - I know what I'll do, I'll run over to where my minion is standing, with all of 10HP, poisoned from her taking off into the air!"

Thanks, Chacha! Thanks, Kayamba! That was the third death you've been directly responsible for. On that one mission. Every single time I've died it was because Rathian got mad and they bee-lined at me. Which is great, because I ran out of antidotes quite early and was doing all I could to keep alive. When they killed me and made me fail the mission I was about 2 steps from exiting zone 2 so I could go rest at the bed at base camp to come back and finish her off. She was limping and I'd gotten a long combo with a knockdown in when she got mad. I almost had it. That's the worst kind of loss. When you're almost there but because something stupid happened, you have to start all over again. Minus resupply fees.

I wanna see what kind of AI programming went into those two. Because with how they act, it must've taken 2 hours with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle. I'm booting them and flying solo. All they do is get me killed. Armor can't get any better than it currently is. I've Armor Sphered it up as much as I can with the current level I have access to. Just gotta bring double the antidote supplies and no useless Shakalakas next time I try taking out a Pink Rathian.

I can't be the only one they keep killing. You guys have any stories of them suddenly deciding to be cowards and leading an enraged monster straight into you?

I gave both Cha-Cha and Kayamba the Healing (L) dance combination and stuck the Fluffy and Nulberry mask on them. They heal the poo poo out of me and gather tons of crap lying around.

I love the little guys :shobon:.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

ChibiSoma posted:

It's all your fault, man. Don't treat your bros like rodeo clowns. Also, won't you do even worse without them? And going to sleep? Am I right to assume you ran out of potions?

Protip: raths are a joke with lances.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 25, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

It's all your fault, man. Don't treat your bros like rodeo clowns. Also, won't you do even worse without them? And going to sleep? Am I right to assume you ran out of potions?

Protip: raths are a joke with lances.

I can't stand lances. They're slow, you've got zero crowd control, you've got nothing by way of evasive movement. Boring! Slow and boring, lances are.

And no, I didn't do worse without them. I could actually keep her focused on me and thus not running all over the god drat map. Beat her the second time, despite the fact that she kept running just at the moment the paintballs wore off, so I had to run all over the Misty Peaks trying to find her. She flew off a lot. She'd come down, try to eat something, get mad, then fly off. I beat it with 42 seconds left on the timer.

Now may I never have to fight another Pink Rathian again! :downs:

Seriously though, not having the Shakalakas suddenly made the game more enjoyable. You don't realize how much they get in the way until they aren't there and you can actually keep the monsters focused solely on you. What little damage they do is negated by mucking up everything else. They can be the village mascots unless I have to take them on another quest at some point.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

RuBisCO posted:

I gave both Cha-Cha and Kayamba the Healing (L) dance combination and stuck the Fluffy and Nulberry mask on them. They heal the poo poo out of me and gather tons of crap lying around.

I love the little guys :shobon:.

Wait till you get the bird mask, everytime my kayumba uses a farcaster he drops a healing item or something useful like a ration on top of being a healing and gathering fiend. I did find some limitations. Regardless of the mission chacha and kayumba can only pickup 8 items. If you use the gathering skill on them they still attack but are more prone to pick things up so if you want more monster parts try to avoid bringing them by too many things they can grab. Their AI is like a babby, that or it's cause they are so drat short that they pick up everything they see. Either way they surprise me sometimes with the amount of poo poo they pick up.

ChibiSoma posted:

Seriously though, not having the Shakalakas suddenly made the game more enjoyable. You don't realize how much they get in the way until they aren't there and you can actually keep the monsters focused solely on you. What little damage they do is negated by mucking up everything else. They can be the village mascots unless I have to take them on another quest at some point.

I am not sure what you're doing, but you are doing it wrong. Chacha and Kayumba are pretty weak for awhile but once you start actually investing time into them and giving them proper masks/skills and the right dances they are insanely good. They can taunt enemies keeping stuff off you so you can score some hits on key parts like wings or a tail. They buff and they heal like mad. On top of all that they can do any status effect if you give them that skill and they can also do elemental damage. Hell my two sidekicks are around level 25 or 26 and they regularly break parts on things I can't reach. Like the top fin of a plesioth or smashing lagiacrus back. Whether I am playing solo or duoing with a buddy Chacha+Kayumba means I don't have to heal ever.

Seemenaked fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 25, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I level them? Just do more village resource quests?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

How do I level them? Just do more village resource quests?

Bring them with you on missions and talk to them at the village.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah I love Cha-Cha and Kayamba. Mine both have the Healing L dance and they have saved my bacon more times than I can count. Sure every now and then the monster charges them and hits you, but without them it would have just charged you anyways, so I don't see the problem. They also pick TONS of stuff up, I swear Cha-Cha has looted more plates and rubies than I have.

On a different note, taking my Brachydios set into Goldbeard was a mistake, -20 Water :gonk:. I'll have to look up a good set for him later. Maybe the Glacial Agnaktor set...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ChibiSoma posted:

I can't stand lances. ... Boring! Slow and boring, lances are.

It's fine that you don't like lances but every single word of this is wrong.

ChibiSoma posted:

They're slow,

Lance combos done right can dish out damage way faster than most weapons. They won't be outspeeding dual swords or anything, but they're certainly not slow. YOU are slow while wielding a lance, but if you need to move quickly just sheathe the thing.

ChibiSoma posted:

you've got zero crowd control,

Both attack buttons together swings your lance in an arc in front of you. Boom, crowd control. More effective crowd control than most other weapons, at that.

ChibiSoma posted:

you've got nothing by way of evasive movement.

Sidesteps take some getting used to, but they are better than rolls once you do. You get a comparable amount of invulnerability frames, cover around the same amount of ground, and don't change facing, so you can dodge attacks and continue assaulting the monster without repositioning. Plus on top of that, you've got a huge-rear end shield that can block anything you're not going to be able to dodge around.

Again, if lances just aren't your thing, that's totally fine. I'm never going to be comfortable with a greatsword or a bowgun myself. Just know what's up with something instead of bashing it for flaws it doesn't have.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

I cannot stand Lances, but Gunlances have to be one of my favourite weapons, which is pretty weird. Speaking of which, what're the general 'combos' for Gunlance? I get you can cancel X->X with a gun shot and go right into another X->X and you can end the triple X with a blast that takes all your ammo, are there generally any other less obvious ones?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harvs posted:

I cannot stand Lances, but Gunlances have to be one of my favourite weapons, which is pretty weird. Speaking of which, what're the general 'combos' for Gunlance? I get you can cancel X->X with a gun shot and go right into another X->X and you can end the triple X with a blast that takes all your ammo, are there generally any other less obvious ones?

The XA diagonal thrust does more damage than the horizontal X thrust, so you can do XA->XA->XA->A->XA->XA->XA->A and so on. Also pressing a immediately after firing will reload a single shot, and X after that does the slam attack so you can also do the shotgun move with A->A->X->A. X while blocking does a weaker diagonal thrust that can go back to blocking immediately. If you follow up a blocking thrust with a shot while still holding block it does a charged shot that hits for more damage than a regular shot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Funkmaster General posted:

Lance combos done right can dish out damage way faster than most weapons. They won't be outspeeding dual swords or anything, but they're certainly not slow. YOU are slow while wielding a lance, but if you need to move quickly just sheathe the thing.

I think that's his point; you're slow as all poo poo when wielding a Lance and constantly putting it away just to run to the Monster and get maybe a stab or two in is really god drat boring. Pulling combos off with it is satisfying and was my main weapon in Tri, but anything that moved around fast was so tedious to deal with. I can also do without it's sidestep/backhop and the shield just makes things too easy.

I really hope somewhere down the line Capcom decides to put Monster Hunter on an engine that isn't a decade old, scrap zones and just give us a huge world to just roam around in.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I dunno if it has been brought up before, but on the 3DS version you can fully disable 3D in the options before loading your character. Makes a huge difference with respect to framerates and anti-aliasing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I really hope somewhere down the line Capcom decides to put Monster Hunter on an engine that isn't a decade old, scrap zones and just give us a huge world to just roam around in.

See: Dragon's Dogma. It's not as tight and the mandatory NPC help is annoying but it's on a purty engine and has a lot of enhancements to be way more intuitive.

If they make a sequel just right we can pack it in and say MH is obsolete, but DD had a lot of problems.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Lances are really good. I like how when you play it right they allow you to be really aggressive in the monster's face all the time attacking constantly.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anyone have some Hammer tips? I feel like I'm not getting enough headshots off and am doing far too much running around.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Anyone have some Hammer tips? I feel like I'm not getting enough headshots off and am doing far too much running around.

I like to think using hammer is like boxing. Attack the body and once they are tired, attack the head.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zexerous posted:

I like to think using hammer is like boxing. Attack the body and once they are tired, attack the head.

I tend to just take what hits I can get, while trying to focus on getting myself as close to the head as I can. Keep charged, drop your superpound wherever if you have to or do a spin-into-swing if you think you can, and then dodge. Always make sure you have the stamina to get one good roll off at very least.

Basically, just be constantly observing the monster for any possible openings while you're charging and dancing around them. So yeah, like Zexy said, it's boxing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does anyone know how large the Wii U full game download is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
On friday i bought a WiiU for this game specifically having never played any of its predecessors, and having heard nothing but good things from this thread and my friends who've been hooked since PS2 days.

I am not disappointed in the least.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does anyone know how large the Wii U full game download is?

someone told me 12gigs but i'm not sure how accurate that is so take it with a grain of salt.

• Locked thread