Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

bowser posted:

There's also a non silhouette version of that poster.

I think both versions are really good. I'm slightly more interested in watching the film now.

I'm getting a real Occupy vibe from this whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Yeah, but instead of hippies making GBS threads on cop cars and raping women in tent cities after drug deals, it's got walls of hive-mind zombies ripping everything to shreds.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Gonz posted:

Yeah, but instead of hippies making GBS threads on cop cars and raping women in tent cities after drug deals, it's got walls of hive-mind zombies ripping everything to shreds.

Yeah good idea, you loving braying jackass, spin the movie posters thread into political territory. That's very much a recipe for success and one of the Seven Habits of Good Posters.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Marc Forster is very hit or miss when it comes to the execution of his film's concepts. The ant colony/tidal wave imagery is really interesting though, so here's hoping he pulls it off this time.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

Marc Forster is very hit or miss when it comes to the execution of his film's concepts. The ant colony/tidal wave imagery is really interesting though, so here's hoping he pulls it off this time.

If you've read anything about it's production you'd know he was a poor choice. Sounds like a loving disaster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm just wondering why they bothered basing it on or naming it after World War Z, since I don't recall that book mentioning anything about ant zombies. World War Z was pretty much just a straightforwards Romero rip-off except told in a more realistic documentary style.

I like the idea of what they're doing with the film, but calling it "World War Z" at this point, with the direction they've taken it, is meaningless.
It might not explicitly call the zombies ant zombies, but I think the ant-zombie concept is a pretty natural extrapolation of the description of the zombies in the book(s), who mindlessly pursue people to eat, whether that entails going straight over the edge of a building or trampling their fellow zombie. The movie is also international in scope, from what the trailers have shown us (Jerusalem is featured as more than just a quick glimpse at least, and Russia seeems like another location.), which I think is a pretty important part of any adaption of "World War Z". Whether the movie is going to be any good is another question entirely, but I don't think the use of the "World War Z" name is completely unjustified.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

When I read World War Z, I kind of imagined it as a Roland Emmerich film.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Honestly, based on the trailer and A Buttery Pastry's description of the book, the zombies seem to be an avatar of mindless consumerism. That's not an especially new or controversial take on the genre though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Band of Oldboys

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Band of Oldboys

This is the funniest boxart.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 25, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

penismightier posted:

Yeah good idea, you loving braying jackass, spin the movie posters thread into political territory. That's very much a recipe for success and one of the Seven Habits of Good Posters.

You're right. I assure you it won't happen again in any Finer Arts threads.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

These two are pretty funny.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The worst thing about that kind of bullshit is that every jackass who makes those thinks they're being totally cute and clever.

No wait, the worst thing about those is that they look like poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Some guy on DeviantArt made this Episode VII poster in the style of Drew Struzan:

Here's a larger version.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's an admirable effort and a nice copy of his style, but man are the 3 main cast member's faces melty.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

It's an admirable effort and a nice copy of his style, but man are the 3 main cast member's faces melty.

Perhaps they have been injured by Sith lightning between episode 6 and 7.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

What the hell is this supposed to be? Cocaine getting snorted up a straw? I'm stumped.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Max22 posted:

What the hell is this supposed to be? Cocaine getting snorted up a straw? I'm stumped.

I still can't work it out either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I think you have to blame nature for that one, not the artist. Mark Hamill is literally melting at this point. Honestly he made Fisher look way less melty than she actually does.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Carrie Fisher is going to have to get back on the coke horse if she wants to look presentable enough to appear in any of the next trilogy films.

I saw her at the Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne last year, and.....good god. Good god.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Max22 posted:

Heroin, but yeah I'm pretty sure that's exactly what this dumb loving thing is trying to depict.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shanty posted:

Heroin, but yeah I'm pretty sure that's exactly what this dumb loving thing is trying to depict.

Of all the things that coukd have been on that poster, the final choice ended up being the worst.

I don't even know how people are supposed to connect that image with the movie. It would have made more sense to depict a huge syringe stuck into a heart, instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I think you have to blame nature for that one, not the artist. Mark Hamill is literally melting at this point. Honestly he made Fisher look way less melty than she actually does.

Yeah, I've gotta say, he made Carrie Fisher look a lot nicer than she does in real life at this point.

I'm also not sure why he drew William H. Macy instead of Mark Hamill.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Noxville posted:

These two are pretty funny.

I thought so at first. Then I thought about how someone who hadn’t seen the films would view them. As amusing as they are as posters they suck.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 25, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Max22 posted:

It appears to be unused cover art for a New Order album drawn by a five year old.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It's nice Billy Dee Williams is on the poster at least.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gonz posted:

Of all the things that coukd have been on that poster, the final choice ended up being the worst.

I don't even know how people are supposed to connect that image with the movie. It would have made more sense to depict a huge syringe stuck into a heart, instead.

I'm actually kind of on the verge of admiring its trash aesthetic. Like they picked the ugliest scene in the movie with the most pop-culture baggage ever, condensed it to one repellent image and rendered it in the most garish, amateurish, "I just found paint.exe" style. If they had turned up the jpg artifacting a bit and maybe had the circle be obviously off with like a little yellow bleed at the edges, I would genuinely like it as a sort of internet-naïve piece.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I always wanted to see a movie about a post-zombie society. And not the lovely fiefdom of Land of the Dead. A real resurrected day-to-day civilisation.

If you're UK there's In The Flesh on BBC Three, that's about a medicated and rehabilitated zombie moving back in with his parents.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Was it Fido, with Billy Connolly as the kid's pet zombie?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

I've probably seen Pulp Fiction 40 times and I swear to god I had no idea what this was after 10 minutes of looking at it. If its snorting heroine, why is heroine a triangle? The snorting of heroine is such a minor thing in this movie, I mean it leads to one of the more memorable scenes but it really has no impact on the plot of the film at all. I really hate these posters that take one minor thing from a movie and make a whole poster based on it just so people can see it and say "Oh, I get it! I remember that" and think they're clever. I think I've seen a poster for this movie that just had the Big Kahuna Burger logo on it or something. Gettin mad at posters here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don't be hatin' on the Big Kahuna Burger, at least it was a memorable part of the best scene in Pulp Fiction.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

It's a straw, the triangle symbolizes a Five Dollar Milkshake!

Okay yeah it's really obtuse I have no clue

Also, no minimalist poster love (or hate) for Jackie Brown? I'll see if I can dig up anything.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Vegetable posted:

Don't be hatin' on the Big Kahuna Burger, at least it was a memorable part of the best scene in Pulp Fiction.

Yeah but it doesn't deserve a whole poster to represent the movie. It's a cool memorable thing but its totally inconsequential.

I think the original poster for the movie is pretty much perfect in capturing the tone anyway. Just stick with what works.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Okay, it's Jackie Brown time!

Ohhhhoho I get it because there is money and flying in this movie how clever

Ooohhhhhh I get that one, eeeeuuugh

Oh, shut up.

Now for some better stuff:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Well, suppose you bought the rights to Jurassic Park. You throw out everything but the dinosaurs, but you change them to just flying dinosaurs.

In paying for the book rights but not using the book, no one else can make the movie about the T-Rex and the velociraptors terrorizing people in a genetic experiment theme park.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Okay, it's Jackie Brown time!

Holy poo poo, this. Wanna have that poster.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Two new posters for The Wolverine hit today...

This one isn't very good...

But this one...oh good lord.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
^^ :wtf: is that second one real? Wow.

Gonz posted:

Some guy on DeviantArt made this Episode VII poster in the style of Drew Struzan:

Here's a larger version.
All I see is Chewbacca carrying a miniature Millenium Falcon, his head slightly cocked because he doesn't know where to put it. :wookie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ahah... Hah... Haha... HahahahaHAHAHAHAHA! Oh... This is phenomenal.

Please let this be real, the thought of seeing this on billboards is giving me a warm glow inside.