Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

avlein posted:

GameFAQs has a pretty complete listing of all of Tri U's weapon recipes and upgrade trees.

What the hell? I checked yesterday and there was literally nothing there. Maybe I clicked the wrong tab. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alright, after cooling off I gave the Lance and Gunlance their fair dos, but I'm just no good at blocking in games in general, let alone this one. I much prefer parrying (and the lance 'parry' is too slow for me) or getting out of the way entirely, so I'm going back to longsword, newbie weapon be damned. One of the upper level longswords is literally a chainsword right out of WH40k and that's loving cool. :colbert:

(I may give dual blades another try, too, but they feel very button-spammy and oddly hard to aim where I want them. Might just need practice though.)

Anyway, what's the typical longsword combo for when I can't get away with a spirit combo for whatever reason? Best I've been able to do is X, A, X+A, reposition and repeat

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have been using the bow alot and im not sure I have been doing optimum dmg.
Charge1 is scatter, Charge 2 and 3 are pierce.

I notice that I get a lot of staggers with the high angle arrow rain move. Is this move any good?

If they are knocked down and i can sit there spamming will I do more dmg with all 3 spread arrows hitting or charged up shots? Should I go in and melee instead?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Man, I must have the worst luck. I've gotten up to the end of 4* Village and I still have gotten exactly zero rare commodities. I've free hunted a ton of monsters, but nothing shows up after the hunt report.

Ciaphas posted:

Anyway, what's the typical longsword combo for when I can't get away with a spirit combo for whatever reason? Best I've been able to do is X, A, X+A, reposition and repeat

X, X, A, X, (X, A, X), X+A is the general progression for a continual combo. You can X+A or roll out of it whenever, or keep chaining the (X, A, X).

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 26, 2013

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

gobbledygoat posted:

Dear self: never bowgun underwater ever again.

EVER.

What's wrong with bowguns underwater? Bows I can understand, but bowguns just have quicker shot falloff. But if you are far enough away for that to make any difference you are standing too far from the monster anyways due to damage falloff.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
The online 4 star urgent quest was extremely underwhelming. Land lagi or whatever it's called. Buddy and I duoed him tonight and it took all of 7 minutes to kill a silver ranked one. He just fell over and got chain flinch locked.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com
Is it generally better to equip a uniform armor set? I'm currently wearing a mix and match of different armor parts but I'm not sure if I'm missing out on some kind of benefit to having a full set of one armor.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Metal Gear posted:

Is it generally better to equip a uniform armor set? I'm currently wearing a mix and match of different armor parts but I'm not sure if I'm missing out on some kind of benefit to having a full set of one armor.

An uniform armor set usually grants you a set of skills exclusive to that armor set. Mixing and matching only really comes into play in the dngame where you want to build your own set of skills.

Remember that an armor skill only activates once it hits 10 skill points.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So will Capcom make a statment about fixing the online? Just wasted an entire night of DCed fights and Lag that made fights impossible. Would love to know were not doing that tomorrow night.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do any blademaster weapons besides dual blades and longsword (and sword+shield... i guess) really lend themselves to getting out of the way of attacks by dodging with animation interruption, or are those two the kings? As I mentioned before I've tried lance and gunlance, and blocking just isn't my style. Too used to fast action brawlers like Metal Gear Rising I guess! v:v:v

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Hunting Horn is a pretty fast weapon once you play the +movement speed song, and can roll-cancel the tail end of lots of its moves.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The new DLC is up.

Two quests:

* The Dark Demon's Sword (hunt a Great Baggi, a Giginox, and a Barioth in the tundra)

* Flooded Forest Free-for-all (hunt a Royal Ludroth, a Lagiacrus, and a Gobul in the flooded forest)

Two new titles also available (kokoto and hunter's spirit)

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 26, 2013

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Do any blademaster weapons besides dual blades and longsword (and sword+shield... i guess) really lend themselves to getting out of the way of attacks by dodging with animation interruption, or are those two the kings? As I mentioned before I've tried lance and gunlance, and blocking just isn't my style. Too used to fast action brawlers like Metal Gear Rising I guess! v:v:v

Try Switch-axe. I play it as pretty much exactly that. The axe has decent mobility and both modes get a sidestep after attacks, it's great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was just looking up a quest on Youtube and ended up with a video from Tri on Wii and the water looks way better there than it does for the Wii U game.
I guess some of the graphics got simplified for portables, then up-resed for Wii U. That's a bit of a bummer.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Are Rathian/Rathalos rubies still really rare? First pink Rathian capture I did and I just got 2 Rathian rubies. That's completely unheard of in my experience.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was just looking up a quest on Youtube and ended up with a video from Tri on Wii and the water looks way better there than it does for the Wii U game.
I guess some of the graphics got simplified for portables, then up-resed for Wii U. That's a bit of a bummer.

This is how they handled the "HD" port of the PSP game as well :laugh:

LemonAIDS posted:

Are Rathian/Rathalos rubies still really rare? First pink Rathian capture I did and I just got 2 Rathian rubies. That's completely unheard of in my experience.

3rd gen has always had relatively high plate/gem appearance rates. I'm not far enough in to say if Heavenlies are just as common though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Funny you should mention this, because the Lance's shield is ancillary. Prior to the current DS mechanics, Lance was THE evasion king.

Not saying you should go out and play a Lance right now (yeah I am), but keep it in mind as you see other people play. Most you will encounter may just sort of turtle, but every now and again you'll see someone ducking and weaving and wonder what the gently caress weapon they're using.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 26, 2013

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Where the hell do I get burst arrowna? I need my marine fisher dammit.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Junkie Disease posted:

So will Capcom make a statment about fixing the online? Just wasted an entire night of DCed fights and Lag that made fights impossible. Would love to know were not doing that tomorrow night.

Capcom CEO is probably preparing a statement about your bad internet as we speak

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
My god, it's going to take forever to get 22 bumblepumkins for Pumpking (Mosgharl) Armour at 1 5* rare trade apiece. That's a lot of pink rathian livers.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AttackBacon posted:

What's wrong with bowguns underwater? Bows I can understand, but bowguns just have quicker shot falloff. But if you are far enough away for that to make any difference you are standing too far from the monster anyways due to damage falloff.

Bowguns are my go-to method for killing some of the underwater monsters, especially Lagiacrus. That's how I pull off my "no healing" runs on him.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Speedboat Jones posted:

Bowguns are my go-to method for killing some of the underwater monsters, especially Lagiacrus. That's how I pull off my "no healing" runs on him.

Felyne mask and you can pretty much afk while Cha-Cha whoops rear end underwater especially after you get the bombadier skill.

Piff
Apr 9, 2009
At what point do you unlock the ability to (sorta) change the color of your armor? That's still in from Tri, right?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Could someone explain what skills are/how they work? I'm doing 5 star hunts now and I feel like I understand the game pretty well now but that's the one thing I've just been kind of ignoring. I read something about how matching armor sets activates them or something, but I'm not even sure how to see the skills I've got or how I know if I'm meeting the requirements to activate them.

Do charms/decorations also give you skills, and do I also need to meet requirements for them to activate?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

There is a grinning cat switch axe avaliable for the carabilite ore and pawprint stamps.

Someone teach me how to switch axe.

Also what are the awards for the new DLC quests? The older one is still available to play, right?

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

KimT posted:

Could someone explain what skills are/how they work? I'm doing 5 star hunts now and I feel like I understand the game pretty well now but that's the one thing I've just been kind of ignoring. I read something about how matching armor sets activates them or something, but I'm not even sure how to see the skills I've got or how I know if I'm meeting the requirements to activate them.

Do charms/decorations also give you skills, and do I also need to meet requirements for them to activate?

Skills are special perks attached to armor that you usually get by wearing a complete armor set. Each skill comes in the form of points, and most skills require a +10 to actually activate the perk (+9 would do absolutely nothing).

For example, the Health skill (Found on the Chainmail armor) at +10 gives the "+20 Health" perk, then at +15 gives "+50 Health". The Whim skill at +10 gives "Spirit's Whim", which helps your pickaxes/bug nets and such break less, then at +15 gives "Divine Whim", which makes them break even less. Note that certain skills do have a debuff/downside if you have negative skill points in it, like -10 Attack gives you "Attack Down (S)".

Charms and decorations don't give you skills directly, but do still give you skill points. This is important to give you that last extra push if you're just shy on skill points, or maybe decorate in a minor yet useful skill all the way from 0, if you have enough slots. The Great Jaggi armor gives you +13 Attack skill points, so if you use decorations or a charm to get those last two, you could get +15 for Attack Up (M) on the armor.

You can see what skills you have on one of the pages of the Status screen, and I think you can also see what each individual armor piece is doing for you from there too. If not, it's on Equipment, you're looking for a page that's basically an Excel spreadsheet of your +s and -s.

Sudoku fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 26, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Beaten, don't forget to try mix and matching when you've got some talismans or stuff to make charms.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

So it looks like the European servers are down right now, anybody else not able to connect at the moment?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sudoku posted:

Skills are special perks attached to armor that you usually get by wearing a complete armor set. Each skill comes in the form of points, and most skills require a +10 to actually activate the perk (+9 would do absolutely nothing).

For example, the Health skill (Found on the Chainmail armor) at +10 gives the "+20 Health" perk, then at +15 gives "+50 Health". The Whim skill at +10 gives "Spirit's Whim", which helps your pickaxes/bug nets and such break less, then at +15 gives "Divine Whim", which makes them break even less. Note that certain skills do have a debuff/downside if you have negative skill points in it, like -10 Attack gives you "Attack Down (S)".

Charms and decorations don't give you skills directly, but do still give you skill points. This is important to give you that last extra push if you're just shy on skill points, or maybe decorate in a minor yet useful skill all the way from 0, if you have enough slots. The Great Jaggi armor gives you +13 Attack skill points, so if you use decorations or a charm to get those last two, you could get +15 for Attack Up (M) on the armor.

You can see what skills you have on one of the pages of the Status screen, and I think you can also see what each individual armor piece is doing for you from there too. If not, it's on Equipment, you're looking for a page that's basically an Excel spreadsheet of your +s and -s.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Beaten, don't forget to try mix and matching when you've got some talismans or stuff to make charms.

Ok, I think I get it. Makes a lot more sense to me now, thanks!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Where the hell do I get burst arrowna? I need my marine fisher dammit.

It's a reward from the moga shallows and moga deep fishing boat trips. If you go to the port and check Granny's stock she also sells them sometimes.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

A note on skills is that they can also provide negative attributed to you as well. Full Barroth armor gives the Hunger debuff, which makes your max stamina fall faster.

Like normal skills though, the negative versions still need to hit -10 to activate, so you can use a decoration or a charm to bump that to -9, and you'll lose the debuff.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

For all those who recommended Wroggi armor, a big thanks. It looks styling as gently caress and provides really neat buffs. The sharpness is invaluable and the fire resist+poison immunity makes it ideal for fighting the Rath family.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Piff posted:

At what point do you unlock the ability to (sorta) change the color of your armor? That's still in from Tri, right?

You'll have to get High Rank armors to get that option.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Water controls are totally killing me, I hope I'm not the only one who finds themselves suddenly surfacing after pressing the B button to dash forward or back. It's incredibly annoying. (This is on the 3DS Version, BTW)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

No, you're not the only one. That happens to me pretty frequently on the Wii U version.

I just hate underwater hunting. Thankfully you don't have to do it all that often.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Fancy Hat! posted:

Water controls are totally killing me, I hope I'm not the only one who finds themselves suddenly surfacing after pressing the B button to dash forward or back. It's incredibly annoying. (This is on the 3DS Version, BTW)

I have the Circle Pad Pro and I still don't enjoy the water combat.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

On the Wii I'd dodge correctly. No idea what's going on with 3u I'm always dodging upward.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

So it looks like the European servers are down right now, anybody else not able to connect at the moment?

They've been down since midday here (gmt+10), it's goddamn rediculous. I mean, sure, we're going to cop a server maintenance every week, but that's a long time especially when the American servers were down and back up in an hour.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Is it me or do only pieces of an armor set gets unlocked when you defeat a large monster? For some of them I'm missing the options to make greaves or faulds or chest armor or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Karanas posted:

Is it me or do only pieces of an armor set gets unlocked when you defeat a large monster? For some of them I'm missing the options to make greaves or faulds or chest armor or what have you.

Not every set has every piece, I believe, but more importantly you only unlock pieces of armor to forge that you have the parts/a key part for.

• Locked thread