Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Dont launch satellites as soon as they are finished, hold them until the end of the month (deploy just before the Council Meeting on the upcoming events schedule) and use them too lower panic where needed. You can pick abduction missions based on the reward too get more satellites faster, this nearly always means doing the one that gives engineers or moneys.

Losing a couple of countries is far from a disaster, you will probably forget all about them by month four anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Wow, that's the first time I've lost a fighter jet to a UFO in the first encounter.

Lyrax posted:

I've just started my first Classic run. It's really kicking my rear end in combat and I'm not sure if reloading from a save at mission start because I get destroyed is fair. I've seen some people in the thread say it's super hard at the start but closer to the end it feels easier. So just wondering, will taking a few mission failures at the start really bite me in the rear end later or can I take like 3 or 4 losses without getting too deep into game over territory too early? I'm good with finishing a mission with only one dude left but it's really disheartening to lose everyone.

Same with me. I'm surprised how much the difficulty curve jumps up. But like Beagle says, you can never be complacent. I had a couple of missions go super smooth and then when raiding a crashed UFO, bam, Thin Men smoke my Support Lt. and my Support Cpl.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 24, 2013

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
For those who still isn't in on the action, here's a free copy of X-com courtesy of me having two of them.
Activate code in steam and enjoy:NT6W7-C8Q5J-2ZN08

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Ilustforponydeath posted:

For those who still isn't in on the action, here's a free copy of X-com courtesy of me having two of them.

Thanks a ton, I've been interested in this game, and hopefully it'll scratch the tbs itch I've been having lately.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Glad to help :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Hah. I right-click open this thread on this post right when it's posted and then go away to take a shower for fifteen minutes.

Oh well.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Just had a terror mission in Benin City codenamed Operation Black Father :v:

At this point I'm holding off on sending someone into the Gollop chamber because I want to get a Battleship mission (I've never played one before). Is there anything specific I can do to encourage one? Also, are two EMP Firestorms going to be enough to down one if I catch it? I'm playing on Classic.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Just had a terror mission in Benin City codenamed Operation Black Father :v:

At this point I'm holding off on sending someone into the Gollop chamber because I want to get a Battleship mission (I've never played one before). Is there anything specific I can do to encourage one? Also, are two EMP Firestorms going to be enough to down one if I catch it? I'm playing on Classic.

Let a smaller UFO get away, then a battleship will usually come to blow up your satellite.

edit: for your second question: yea probably. Couldn't hurt to invest in that powerup that freezes the timer though.

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

Here's the video teaser mentioned earlier for what is hopefully DLC. xcom teaser @ PAX

Tina Animi has obviously never played the game.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Chexoid posted:

Let a smaller UFO get away, then a battleship will usually come to blow up your satellite.

edit: for your second question: yea probably. Couldn't hurt to invest in that powerup that freezes the timer though.

Cheers!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Also, are two EMP Firestorms going to be enough to down one if I catch it?

Unless you're incredibly unlucky, yes. I managed to take one out with a pair of plasma interceptors and a lot of luck. You can probably down one with a single emp firestorm.

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

I remember the XCOM team saying they had rebuilt the original XCOM first with the new engine and scrapped it, but I never thought we'd see it in action. From PAX: XCOM scrapped build It looks faithful, warts and all.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GrumbleGrumble posted:

Here's the video teaser mentioned earlier for what is hopefully DLC. xcom teaser @ PAX

Tina Animi has obviously never played the game.

Sounds like an expansion adding another enemy faction, rad as the dickens. Wouldn't have minded something a bit less sparse on detail, though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
An EMP Firestorm should be capable of handling basically anything.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Fuligin posted:

Sounds like an expansion adding another enemy faction, rad as the dickens. Wouldn't have minded something a bit less sparse on detail, though.

Most likely we'll get some real news after Civ V's newest expansion is released in July, because it just makes sense for Firaxis to not have two products with some market overlap competing for media attention.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Speaking of. Also from PAX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTk0Yo1uf4U

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

GrumbleGrumble posted:

I like how one person in the crown cheered and it sounded like the rest were golf clapping.

Not sure if that is the response they wanted from that super revealing video.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I did find it incredibly :3: how Jake Solomon lead into that teaser with "We've got an incoming transmission from the council", even if the trailer itself leaves me wanting.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like how embarrassed he looked that that was all they showed. DLC? Expansion? Sequel? Gameplay? New hairstyles? Nobody knows!

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Is the second Slingshot DLC mission something you have to do right away, or can it wait like the main story missions? It seems to have appeared at the very beginning of the second month on Classic, and I've only got a four man squad with two laser rifles. It would be annoying enough dealing with the mutons and thin men (at extreme range) at this point without the timer forcing me to bound my tiny team forward into ambush after ambush. This is only my second play through after breezing through Classic when the game came out. I'm probably playing sub-optimally since I've forgotten so much, but this seems like a little much.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I'm playing Classic Ironman, having completed it on Normal Ironman before. I'm approaching the end, and am at the point where you have to shoot down the hidden overseer ship with the first ethereal and 2 sectopods.

I've got a fair amount of money, excellent equipment, and satellites over every country with all but 1 country still on board. However I had a few disastrous missions all in a row and got into a downward spiral and am basically left with only 2 soldiers who are not newbies, but have low will after critical wounds and neither are psychic. I've been unable to complete the story mission on a couple of attempts with the people I have left but aren't really getting good opportunities to level my soldiers up to make it any easier. I might get a council mission and terror mission before the overseer ship pops up on radar again but I'm struggling to win the Terror missions with the people I have available let alone have the survivors rank up to make things easier.

It's been satisfying to get this far but I feel like I have reached a brick wall. I don't want to cheat or change the difficulty or anything as I'd like to ultimately prevail and get the achievement for it. I'm also running out of friends to name my soldiers after.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get out of this spiral? Should I use SHIVs? I have all the tech unlocked save for plasma weapons for them.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

FallenGod posted:

Is the second Slingshot DLC mission something you have to do right away, or can it wait like the main story missions? It seems to have appeared at the very beginning of the second month on Classic, and I've only got a four man squad with two laser rifles. It would be annoying enough dealing with the mutons and thin men (at extreme range) at this point without the timer forcing me to bound my tiny team forward into ambush after ambush. This is only my second play through after breezing through Classic when the game came out. I'm probably playing sub-optimally since I've forgotten so much, but this seems like a little much.

You can reject the second Slingshot mission as many times as you'd like, I believe.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think that teaser said plenty.

I most likely think we're talking Terror from the Deep here.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

The Aguamoose posted:

Does anyone have any advice for how to get out of this spiral? Should I use SHIVs? I have all the tech unlocked save for plasma weapons for them.

I ran into a similar situation when my ace squad completely wiped due to the teleport bug and I didn't feel like savescumming. I fortunately had blaster launchers researched at this point so I basically reverted to the beginning strategy of explosives carrying me through. Get a full squad of heavies (make sure you get the OTS upgrade that starts new recruits as squaddies), give them blaster launchers and alien grenades, and blow poo poo up. You will lose people, but six fresh heavies that can each do 14 (theoretically) points of reliable (sorta) AOE damage will at least have a fighting chance against late-game enemies. Just be aware of movement and blaster launcher range, and make sure at least two of your heavies can drop a grenade/get a launcher shot off for every exposed group of enemies.

As your heavies level, start peppering other classes one-by-one into your squad. Give assaults and supports SCOPEs and light plasma rifles for maximum aim bonus and let them finish off enemies weakened by the launchers. Things will get easier once you have a squad sight sniper leveled back up (I believe getting all the foundry pistol upgrades makes pistol more accurate than the rifle for starting snipers so use that at first to finish off enemies while leveling). Trust me, this will be tedious as poo poo but you can come back from the spiral.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mordaedil posted:

I think that teaser said plenty.

I most likely think we're talking Terror from the Deep here.
Jake's on record saying he didn't like TFTD that much because you lost the feeling of reality UFO had. When it got down to it, you didn't feel as strongly about aliens in the Atlantic Ocean as you did about aliens in New York or London.

But that said, with as vague as the teaser was, your guess is as good as any other in this thread.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Jake's on record saying he didn't like TFTD that much because you lost the feeling of reality UFO had. When it got down to it, you didn't feel as strongly about aliens in the Atlantic Ocean as you did about aliens in New York or London.

But that said, with as vague as the teaser was, your guess is as good as any other in this thread.

I asked on twitter a while back what I thought on the matter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That is basically X-COM though. The plot shifted from 'invasion by Alien imperialists' to something that's essentially 'the old gods have come to consume us'.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
it could remain consistent with XCOM if they play up the "incomprehensible lovecraftian alien" vibe and tone down occult/mythological aspects that usually comes along with anything cthulu'ish

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It could be the time for them to try and launch the wiggling black booger aliens from the failed/comatose FPS. Those could play to the lovecraft angle despite the whole booger thing -- I actually really liked them in that one trailer especially the part where they hop on some guy's head and it made a freaky digitalized scream sound.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chief Savage Man posted:

You can reject the second Slingshot mission as many times as you'd like, I believe.

That is correct. You can do so for the third mission as well.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

I hope we don't see those "Old Gods" yet, though.

Remember, the first chapter of this reboot is closed with X-COM learning that it WAS NOT, in fact, an invasion. It was an experiment ran by the Ethereals to try to find out if humans had the Gift (for them to use as vessels) or if we were simply candidates for just another enslaved species.

As it turns out, somewhere far away many, many more Ethereals may have received the message that the Earth is "full of deliciously gifted beings", and this time it might be a real invasion.

And anyway, the Ethereals are just too interesting and we've seen too few of them. Let's see what Firaxis will do, but it was pretty clear to me that Part 1 wasn't really a war. Actually, Vahlen or Shen, I don't remember who said that, but I recall that they were puzzled as to why the aliens didn't just attack and conquer us, opting instead to abduct and infiltrate. When you attack the alien base, you understand what was up with all those abductions, with all those humans trapped in the probing machines.

It just seemed like a war to us. But that was just a... misunderstanding... met with an... overzealous response.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Andre Banzai posted:

As it turns out, somewhere far away many, many more Ethereals may have received the message that the Earth is "full of deliciously gifted beings", and this time it might be a real invasion.

Seeing XCOM literally become bigger as the invaders step up their game would be kinda interesting to see. I imagine the basic unit being a squad instead of individual soldiers would be a drastic and potentially derailing change, but I'd welcome the sort of tactical options you could get from bigger scale fights. Artillery strikes, strafing runs from nearby aircraft, etc.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Modern Warfare 10: XCOM

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

Seeing XCOM literally become bigger as the invaders step up their game would be kinda interesting to see. I imagine the basic unit being a squad instead of individual soldiers would be a drastic and potentially derailing change, but I'd welcome the sort of tactical options you could get from bigger scale fights. Artillery strikes, strafing runs from nearby aircraft, etc.

They could make it so you become a Commander of only one of the many XCOM squads or something.

Honestly, I think my favorite missions are definitely city/urban environments. There's something cool about storming a liquor store or a convenience/gas station. And there's something really bland about moving through the alien ship environment. As long as the expansion keeps fighting on the ground and not up in the air, I will be happy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I imagine Terror from the Deep 2 could also downplay the underwater aspect, and focus more on creatures coming up from the sea and fighting them on land. Underwater levels would be special like the base invasion.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Also, people are saying that the trailer doesn't reveal much, but I think it does state a very important thing that I've speculated about before.

If the Gifted could hack into the Ethereal hive-mind, then maybe the Ethereals could also hack into HIS. And if so, the Ethereals would know about the Council, the X-COM base, our own method of reverse-engineering their technologies...

In the trailer, the Council transmission to the base is lost.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Actually I prefer to believe that the Ethereal ship was their whole race and that they were all together in this trek across the stars. X-COM works extremely well as a self-contained game, both in terms of story and mechanics.

It's ironic because Firaxis now have the same problem that Microprose had: they have a wonderful game and now they need to find a way to build on the formula without making something that worse (ie. using ideas that were rejected from the original because they're not as good), or something that's too close/far from the concept. The other problem is having to hit the 'reset' button on technology in a convincing way - TFTD just said 'lol, doesn't work underwater', this game's made Psionics something that's harder to ignore.

I still like my 'war in space' idea, with a combination of a derivative of Interceptor's strategic game and a tactical game based off Battlefleet Gothic.

e: the trailer does strongly suggest a TFTD expansion though ('another force' means not-ethereals)

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 26, 2013

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

beerinator posted:

They could make it so you become a Commander of only one of the many XCOM squads or something.

Honestly, I think my favorite missions are definitely city/urban environments. There's something cool about storming a liquor store or a convenience/gas station. And there's something really bland about moving through the alien ship environment. As long as the expansion keeps fighting on the ground and not up in the air, I will be happy.

The thing with the alien ships is that while the different maps have you breaching from different sides, they all have to be the same internally, which means that you tend to see them repeated MUCH more often than the urban settings. This is exasperated by the fact that later in the game abduction missions go away, leaving only the occasional terror mission for an urban encounter. This repetition can add to the blandness

As to why the alien ships are less fun to breach, the urban maps also have a lot more clutter inside. There is usually a wide vary of shelving registers and the like in stores, but the alien ship uses the same consoles and guard rails over and over and over again.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, I just hate how you only get mostly boring forests and alien ships after full satellite coverage, with the occasional urban map during council/terror missions thrown in as a bone. The endgame offers the least variety and the most frustration in terms of levels; first you comb through nondescript forests for randomly roaming packs of enemies, then you clear out the same set of four ships while dealing with the janky multi-level camera controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The larger ships of course having little-to-no forest to clear.

The layout of the larger UFOs does just mean that clearing them out is an almost identical exercise each time, whereas the urban maps are open-plan enough and with enough spawn points that they hardly ever feel repetitive.

• Locked thread