Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Armanky posted:

I think they meant this as a reason for him going down into the crawlspace in the first place, not so much the murder itself (which has been clearly established as having taken place on the floorboards).

If Nagito didn't have a chat with him, I can buy that he wanted underneath so he could potentially get a... um, better view, of the party. I do, however, think the skewer was taken with the intent to kill, since an innocent reason like poking holes in the carpet would still be extremely dangerous and wouldn't really let him see anything anyway.

Apparently it's really cramped down there, and the skewer was pretty big. Any hole he made he'd probably be right next to, and right here is when I realized we are now legitimately discussing the viability of Hanamura just scrambling around under the cabin creepin' like a master and I got sad. It's worth mentioning that his ego would still get soothed because you can probably hear everything down there.

I'm coming on the camp of 'Hanamura lost his poo poo when he saw Byakuya Fisher from below', though I'll admit the bloody tablecloth weakens the case. I doubt Hanamura threw that on to go peeping so that nobody would recognize him, because come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
Personally I like the theory that Hanamura originally used the tablecloth to prevent his clothes getting dirty while scrambling about down there. He's shown himself to be a bit of a snob at times so chances are he didn't want to emerge looking a complete mess. Plus he seems shameless enough not to care about being caught peeping!

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 25, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't really recall anything that supports the idea that Hanamura was in the crawlspace for a reason other than murder. I am completely certain that this was premeditated on Hanamura's part, that he did mean to kill someone, and meant also to get away with it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I just realized what Nagito's motivation is! Anyone remember this exchange?

orenronen posted:

For example, if I tell her the lower part of my body got swollen by poison, and ask her to suck it out with her mouth...

Is that... what he was talking to her about before...?!

...Excuse me, what are you discussing?

Oh, I will tell you all about it later!

...And we will stop you if we see it. Forcibly.

Nagito set up a murder trap for Hanamura in order to make good on his promise once he realized that Hanamura was trying to perv out underneath the floorboards! It all makes sense! Nagito isn't insane, he just really, really cares about propriety!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Spatula City posted:

I don't really recall anything that supports the idea that Hanamura was in the crawlspace for a reason other than murder. I am completely certain that this was premeditated on Hanamura's part, that he did mean to kill someone, and meant also to get away with it.

'He is a huge pervert.' It's not like a sidejoke with him, it's so all-encompassing that I can see it completely motivating all kinds of actions on his part.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

How would Hanamura perv out underneath the floorboards? There's a carpet covering most of the floor save for around the edges.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Akett posted:

How would Hanamura perv out underneath the floorboards? There's a carpet covering most of the floor save for around the edges.

Obviously that was Nagito's original plan to stop him, which was foiled by Hanamura's plan to use the skewer to poke holes in the carpet!

In case it isn't blindingly obvious, and I suppose that it might be a bit hard to tell with all the wacked out theories getting thrown around, I am not in the least bit serious.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Tomn posted:

Obviously that was Nagito's original plan to stop him, which was foiled by Hanamura's plan to use the skewer to poke holes in the carpet!

In case it isn't blindingly obvious, and I suppose that it might be a bit hard to tell with all the wacked out theories getting thrown around, I am not in the least bit serious.

I swear, if that's the reason he had the poker under the floorboards...

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Tomn posted:

Mystery solved! DR2 was fun bring on DR3.

In all seriousness, let me clarify that the idea that Hanamura never intended to kill anybody when going under the floorboards during the party is pretty absurd. The only logical reason for him to bring the skewer down there is to kill somebody, and the only logical and reliable way to do that is to go for whoever tries to grab the knife.

When I say the peeping Tom thing has some credibility, I mean it's possible he spent a good part of the day searching desperately for a way under the crawlspace for that very reason, NOT that he whoops accidentally committed murder while trying to creep on people. This isn't supported by anything in particular, but it'd be fitting for his character at least, so yeah, it's possible. If anything this would just be a one-off joke at the end of the trial though, it's really not that important unless his discovery of the crawlspace was aided by Nagito or something.

Actually we really don't have a lot to go on until we learn more about the crawlspace, so most of the theories involving Hanamura's methods at this point are kind of a shot in the dark.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The question is why would you need to shove yourself under the table to get a knife? Hell, you don't even need the lamp's cord and glow-in-dark paint if you have a full afternoon (hint, hint) to familiarise yourself with the location and practice. Nagito was standing right next to the table too, so what's the point of the cord anyway? Does he have the memory of a goldfish or something?

Megalowmaniac
Oct 29, 2012

Armanky posted:

In all seriousness, let me clarify that the idea that Hanamura never intended to kill anybody when going under the floorboards during the party is pretty absurd. The only logical reason for him to bring the skewer down there is to kill somebody, and the only logical and reliable way to do that is to go for whoever tries to grab the knife.

I think the entire idea of Hanamura intending to go under the floorboards with the skewer has some pretty serious flaws. Before the party began, Hanamura was questioned about the skewer and said something about it being gone before he had arrived. For the theory to work, this means that Hanamura would not only have to be lying, but also that he'd purposefully hidden the skewer and planned the murder in advance. This is still entirely possible, but it doesn't quite up match with the way he's been acting, and it's difficult to fit it into the time window we've been given.

The only real alternate solution, then, is that the skewer was already under the floorboards. Whether Nagito placed it there or not I'm not really sure - it really depends on whether the skewers are thin enough to go through the holes in the floor (as otherwise, a skewer would have to be taken to the crawlspace by hand). Personally, I think that they're just thin enough to accidentally fall through, but I've attached images for comparison:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jeek posted:

The question is why would you need to shove yourself under the table to get a knife? Hell, you don't even need the lamp's cord and glow-in-dark paint if you have a full afternoon (hint, hint) to familiarise yourself with the location and practice. Nagito was standing right next to the table too, so what's the point of the cord anyway? Does he have the memory of a goldfish or something?

This part seemed even more weird to me since I used to work in a darkroom, but it's not too hard to rationalize. Getting thrown into total darkness could be kind of disorienting, and when it's murder time and the adrenalin is running high, he'd probably just want to stick to the surefire plan he'd already prepared instead of stumbling around.

Luckily he was free to camp right there by the table at the right time, so it looks incredibly easy to just step forward and grab that knife, but depending on how the party was going, someone could've come up to talk to him or something and thrown him off a bit. Backup plans are good.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Jeek posted:

The question is why would you need to shove yourself under the table to get a knife?
You don't. You do, however, have to crouch down and lean forward a bit to grab it, and considering how wildly Hanamura thrusted the skewer, you don't need much exposed for it to cause severe damage. Even just getting stabbed in the arm would cause him to hunch over in pain and become even more vulnerable.

I think that this was brought up a while back, but those floor boards were probably not the most sound-proof material, so even if Nagito put the bare minimum of his body under the table, Hanamura could have been ready to listen to were the floorboards creaked or thumped and adjusted his stabs accordingly.

quote:

Hell, you don't even need... glow-in-dark paint if you have a full afternoon (hint, hint) to familiarise yourself with the location and practice.
I don't care how much you practice, grasping for a knife blind is completely retarded.

quote:

Nagito was standing right next to the table too, so what's the point of the cord anyway? Does he have the memory of a goldfish or something?

Nah, he was definitely by the wall, not the table.

Megalowmaniac posted:

This is still entirely possible, but it doesn't quite up match with the way he's been acting, and it's difficult to fit it into the time window we've been given.
Not really? Nagito and Hanamura enter the cabin in the morning. Togami didn't show up until the evening. Nagito might have been moving around the cabin, but he would've spent the majority of his time in the dance hall, so he'd be easy to work around. That leaves Hanamura the whole day to a) notice what Nagito's doing, b) find the crawlspace, and c) stash the skewer down there.

And I don't see how it's out-of-character for him. He seems quick to panic, so if the reality of their situation finally sunk in, I could see him snapping.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 26, 2013

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Megalowmaniac posted:

The only real alternate solution, then, is that the skewer was already under the floorboards. Whether Nagito placed it there or not I'm not really sure - it really depends on whether the skewers are thin enough to go through the holes in the floor (as otherwise, a skewer would have to be taken to the crawlspace by hand). Personally, I think that they're just thin enough to accidentally fall through, but I've attached images for comparison:

Judging from Togami's portrait there, the handles look like they'd be too big to go through the floor so yeah, it probably would've had to been underneath there already -- unless they can be taken off?

AgentJ
Jul 3, 2010
Im convinced that Hanamura is the killer at this point but I'd like to think that he just wanted to stop komaeda from killing whoever he was going for, I just can't believe that he planned to murder someone this early, maybe he's just a psycho though.
Also remember how Komaeda got the winning stick in the lottery so he got to clean out the lodge? I'm wondering if he cheated or if he actually IS SHSL good lucky, could make for some interesting stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Megalowmaniac posted:

I think the entire idea of Hanamura intending to go under the floorboards with the skewer has some pretty serious flaws. Before the party began, Hanamura was questioned about the skewer and said something about it being gone before he had arrived. For the theory to work, this means that Hanamura would not only have to be lying, but also that he'd purposefully hidden the skewer and planned the murder in advance. This is still entirely possible, but it doesn't quite up match with the way he's been acting, and it's difficult to fit it into the time window we've been given.

The skewers have handles. The metal part would be thin enough to fall through, but the handle would stick. The gaps aren't very big. In the real world, the exact size of the gaps would vary and there might be a knothole somewhere that would allow passing the entire skewer through the floor, but that seems needlessly complex for a game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

AgentJ posted:

Im convinced that Hanamura is the killer at this point but I'd like to think that he just wanted to stop komaeda from killing whoever he was going for, I just can't believe that he planned to murder someone this early, maybe he's just a psycho though.
Also remember how Komaeda got the winning stick in the lottery so he got to clean out the lodge? I'm wondering if he cheated or if he actually IS SHSL good lucky, could make for some interesting stuff.

Togami was stabbed eight times at various points along his abdomen. I don't know about you, but I'm having trouble figuring out any non-lethal attack that would rely on stabbing someone eight times in different places in the dark through a crack in the floor.

Also, Nagito made and was holding the drat sticks, it's not going to require a SHSL Con Artist to rig the sticks. Honestly, Naegi never at any time had any confidence in or relied upon his supposed SHSL Good Luck to make things work for him, so why should Nagito be any different? Particularly given that once we assume that Nagito is capable of making things work for him "just because," it starts getting a lot harder to work out murders because one can always assume that things worked out somehow for Nagito "just because."

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

You don't. You do, however, have to crouch down and lean forward a bit to grab it, and considering how wildly Hanamura thrusted the skewer, you don't need much exposed for it to cause severe damage. Even just getting stabbed in the arm would cause him to hunch over in pain and become even more vulnerable.
It is quite possible for me to just reach a hand from the side to grab the knife - being 5 feet tall may have skewed my perspective a little though. :downs:

quote:

I don't care how much you practice, grasping for a knife blind is completely retarded.
It's not necessarily blind - consider the schematic in full MS Paint glory below:

As long as Nagito remembers to approach the knife from the corner, he'll never touch the blade.

quote:

Nah, he was definitely by the wall, not the table.
This is my bad. The cord would be useful to guide Nagito to the table in this case.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Wasn't the knife on the bottom of the table?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Wasn't the knife on the bottom of the table?

Under the table and under the tablecloth as well. The thick, heavy tablecloth that stretches all the way down to the floor and which hid Togami's body from view after he was murdered.

AgentJ
Jul 3, 2010

Tomn posted:

Togami was stabbed eight times at various points along his abdomen. I don't know about you, but I'm having trouble figuring out any non-lethal attack that would rely on stabbing someone eight times in different places in the dark through a crack in the floor.

Also, Nagito made and was holding the drat sticks, it's not going to require a SHSL Con Artist to rig the sticks. Honestly, Naegi never at any time had any confidence in or relied upon his supposed SHSL Good Luck to make things work for him, so why should Nagito be any different? Particularly given that once we assume that Nagito is capable of making things work for him "just because," it starts getting a lot harder to work out murders because one can always assume that things worked out somehow for Nagito "just because."

What i meant was that Hanamura might have meant to kill Nagito instead of Togami, my bad entirely. He didnt see anything in the darkness and coulda just been stabbing wildly to kill when he noticed someone above him. He could have found out that Nagito was planning murders one way or another. It's just an idea of what might've happened, it woulda been some kinda motive and I cant really see any motive for him killing togami that isnt crazy. Nagito has actually shown that he's likely to be a nutjob though so he could be killing people for any number of weird reasons.
And about the SHSL good luck i just think it might be fun or interesting for Nagito to have actual amazing luck and using it to his advantage unlike Naegi who from what i recall got raffled into the school and didnt show any particularly amazing luck after that.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
More to the point, the DayGlo tape was only on the handle. So, if he just grabbed for where it was glowing, he'd be fine.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

AgentJ posted:

What i meant was that Hanamura might have meant to kill Nagito instead of Togami, my bad entirely. He didnt see anything in the darkness and coulda just been stabbing wildly to kill when he noticed someone above him. He could have found out that Nagito was planning murders one way or another. It's just an idea of what might've happened, it woulda been some kinda motive and I cant really see any motive for him killing togami that isnt crazy. Nagito has actually shown that he's likely to be a nutjob though so he could be killing people for any number of weird reasons.
And about the SHSL good luck i just think it might be fun or interesting for Nagito to have actual amazing luck and using it to his advantage unlike Naegi who from what i recall got raffled into the school and didnt show any particularly amazing luck after that.

I agree with this person.

It's clear at this point that Nagito is guilty of doing something, but Hanamura has just been to nervous and visibly sweating bullets at times to be completely removed from the case at hand. On top of that, he was the only other person in the place outside of Nagito, before the party started, isn't he.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

dragonsroar posted:

Just a small bit to throw into the discussion, but if Nagito is SHSL luck and he's been playing off that to perfect his murder, wouldn't him being discovered as murderer break his "luck"?

Also, a Gundam i drew today. he is seriously growing on me.

roar, do you have like a website or something? I want to share this but give you credit where credit is really drat well due!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Tomn posted:

Under the table and under the tablecloth as well. The thick, heavy tablecloth that stretches all the way down to the floor and which hid Togami's body from view after he was murdered.

Hmm, let's see...

From the tape's location, the knife was actually taped somewhat to the left of the schematic, but then my drawing is only meant to show a possible setup that allows safe knife retrieval without glow-in-dark paint.

EDIT:

RedMagus posted:

roar, do you have like a website or something? I want to share this but give you credit where credit is really drat well due!

I think this is her tumblr.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 26, 2013

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Kid used to raise hamsters back when he was serving on the Rippling Walls. Ain't many of 'em left since the Calamity.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Comparing Jeek's image with this, the knife is positioned way too deeply under the table for quick retrieval. I'm still convinced it was a lure. It would take a complete idiot to lose their orientation and mental image of who's standing where in a blackout by employing a plan which forces themself to crawl under a table, then crawl back out from under a table, particularly if their plan involves "catching a panicked victim and stabbing them in a pitch dark room while you're also unable to see poo poo."

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 26, 2013

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Comparing Jeek's image with this, the knife is positioned way too deeply under the table for quick retrieval. I'm still convinced it was a lure. It would take a complete idiot to lose their orientation and mental image of who's standing where in a blackout by employing a plan which forces themself to crawl under a table, then crawl back out from under a table, particularly if their plan involves "catching a panicked victim and stabbing them in a pitch dark room while you're also unable to see poo poo."

I suppose that's why the "Nagito was planning to kill himself" theory would make sense. If the plan was to get the knife and blindly stab the first person he ran into, then that would be leaving too much to chance(even for someone with Super High-School Level Good Luck). What if the lights had come back on, and Nagito was still clutching the bloody murder weapon? Then again, if Nagito has lost his marbles as badly as the last update implied, then perhaps escape wasn't really on his mind.

Of course, with the suicide theory, it's unclear whether Nagito was deliberately trying to get everyone else killed by creating an unsolvable murder, or if he honestly thought the other students would be able to figure it out.

I'm not sure if the knife was a lure planted by the "second gunman" under the floorboards, though. The lamp cord seems to point at Nagito as being responsible for that bit of evidence, unless he happened to find the knife under the table earlier and then set up the lamp cord to find it when he needed to use it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Trial 11 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 11 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

If I may start from the conclusion... you are completely correct! That's right, everything was my doing!

It was me who set up the knife under the table before the party started.

It was also me who used the power cord to find the table in the dark.

And it was also me who set up that power outage in the first place, of course.
I mean, I couldn't just go and grab that knife while everyone was watching, could I?

H...His character's completely broken down, hasn't it?

But... I never imagined Togami-kun would go as far as bringing in night-vision goggles...
Thanks to that, we encountered each other under the table... and you know how that ended.

But, I guess you could say that thanks to that unexpected occurrence, you had this interesting mystery to solve!

Ha ha! That sure was a splendid performance from Togami-kun!

G...Give me a break...! S...Seriously, what the hell...?!

Is... this what you're really like? Have you been deceiving us all this time?

I haven't been deceiving anyone! There's no way I could deceive you guys!

I know better than anyone that I'm a lowly, good-for-nothing human being.

Harboring my own hopes and dreams would be presumptuous... Striving to exert myself would be... impertinent...

Yes, that's the kind of decidedly inferior, foolish human being I am. The lowliest, worst kind of incompetent human being.

Oh no! This man is definitely the type who killed animals in his neighborhood when he was a kid!

The type who watches "Friday the 13th" with a gleam in his eyes... Just like me.

Bit of an unexpected hobby you have there... but... I guess now's not the time.

I...Is this really...

...the same Komaeda I know?

Komaeda... If everything is indeed your doing, does that include the threatening letter...?

Of course.
Who else but me could have this ugly, careless handwriting?

But, why did you send a warning?

Perhaps... somewhere, deep in my heart, I was looking for someone to stop my dark deeds...

...If I told you that was my reason, that would get me a little sympathy from everyone, wouldn’t it?

Are you making fun of us?!

Komaeda-kun probably sent the threat to Togami-kun in order to lead his actions.

How about we use the old lodge that's off to the side of the hotel grounds?

So, leave the cleaning to me. I’m pretty good at it, actually!

And so, he managed to lead not only Togami but everyone else to the scene of the murder... Am I wrong?

Now that you mention it... It was the same when I went to guard the case. It was Komaeda who suggested I use the office.

That storage room is all messy and there's no light there. And there are cobwebs everywhere...
I kinda had my hands full with this main hall, so I couldn't give that storage its proper attention.
Yeah, I guess it’s not the nicest place to sit in for a whole night... Or the healthiest.
In that case... she can guard it at the office.

I see... if big sis Pekoyama went to the storage room, he wouldn't have been able to use the iron setup anymore.

Both the threatening letter and that suggestion... all manipulations leading us to his trap.

Yes, you're all correct... except for one point.

H...Huh? W...What have we got wrong...?

It's the lots we drew to decide on cleaning duty. You said I set that up ahead of time... but I didn’t.

Then how did you manage to pull the chopstick that gave you cleaning duty?!

I see... of course you don't remember. Why would you remember the useless talent of someone as lowly as me?

Komaeda's talent...?

His talent was...

Super High-school Level Bad Luck / Super High-school Level Good Luck / Super High-school Level Boyish Face / Super High-school Level Pot-luck Dinner Organizer

I SEE!

Super High-school Level Good Luck... So, you really...!

Yes, I simply believed in my own luck. I knew I would probably get cleaning duty.

Y...You just left it up to fate?!

Oh, I didn’t just leave it up to fate... My talent may be garbage, but it's still "Super High-school Level Good Luck".

Huh? It's me?!
Ha ha... So much for “Super High-school Level Good Luck”...

At the time, Hinata-kun joked about how unlucky I was... But it's just the opposite...
I was very lucky! I was chosen for cleaning duty, just as I desired!

T...That's enough... I don't care about that anymore...

Answer me! Why did you kill Togami?!

Togami-kun was an outstanding, talented leader, wasn't he...? Someone like him getting killed sure is despair-inducing, isn't it...?

That's why he was perfect as a stepping stone to make you - the symbols of hope - shine even more.

That's why I did it all!

S...Stop saying incomprehensible things!

Enough... let's get to the vote! Let's kill this weirdo!

Please, Monobear-chan!!

W...Wait a second!!

...Ah? What now?

U...Um... H...How should I put it... Um...

I...I was wondering if... Komaeda-san really is the culprit...

Um... what are you saying? He even confessed, didn't he?

I...I know, but... um... There's something that concerns me a little...

If it only concerns you a little, keep your mouth shut... Having to watch your ugly face makes me all stressful and nauseous...

Hiii...?! I...I'm sorry!!

Um... Should we not at the very least hear what she has to say?

B...But, we already know who the culprit is...

Surely, there is no harm in hearing her out?

Mark my words, timorous one! Your testimony will receive all due diligence. We, at least, are... sanguine... on the matter.

Tutorial posted:

From this point on, discussions will be hindered by intermittent “white noise” dialogue.
White noise serves only to distract you, and, worse, blocks Evidence Bullets -- preventing them from reaching Weak Points.
You may find it necessary to carefully time the shooting of Evidence Bullets so as to avoid hitting white noise instead of your target.
By the way, if you chose the “kind” action difficulty level, white noise will not appear at all.
If that’s the case, this tutorial is completely meaningless. Yes, meaningless.
But, no! I shall not fall into despair!
Allow me to make one more meaningless statement before we go on.
This time, there is still no way for you to destroy the white noise. That will come later.
You may press the START button at any time to view an explanation of the controls.
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Phase 8 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 8 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

"White noise" dialogue will be presented in italics under the regular discussion lines.
Keep an eye on Komaeda during this video. Sometimes, the engine’s habit of leaving characters in whatever pose they were in for their last line produces magnificent side effects.

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Tsumiki’s Examination Results / Nidai’s Testimony / Mioda’s Testimony / Nanami’s Testimony / Souda’s Testimony

Um... the thing that concerns me is...

We already know the culprit is Komaeda-kun!
That’s certainly true...

Um... b...but, you see...

He has even confessed.
There’s no reason to deny that!

B...But... um...

That bastard Komaeda...

...stabbed Togami with the knife he had hidden!
And that’s the end of it!

Uu... I can’t handle it, after all...
W...Wait a second, everyone!

Look how much time that dirty bitch wasted!
Let’s at least hear her out!

In that case, let us move on and enjoy the vote.

The reason for Tsumiki’s concern...
There must be some kind of contradiction between what she knows and the state of the crime scene...

...and it should be pretty obvious, because one of the evidence bullets has her name in it.

Tsumiki’s Examination Results >>> stabbed Togami with the knife he had hidden!

YOU’VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Trial 12 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 12 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

That knife probably wasn’t the murder weapon... is that what worries you, Tsumiki?

What are you talking about? That knife has to be the murder weapon.

But... judging from the wounds on Togami-san’s body, the murder weapon should be about 5 millimeters in diameter...

5 millimeters in diameter? That’s much thinner than a knife!

Rrr! You had better be drat sure about this!! If you’re wrong, I’ll have you kidnapped and sold overseas!

Hiiiiiii! I...I don’t wanna go overseas!

Hey! Don’t threaten her!!

In summary, what Tsumiki-san is trying to say is...
...that since we can’t prove that the knife is the murder weapon, we also can’t say for certain that I am the culprit.

W...What are you saying?! Are you telling us someone other than you is the culprit?!

I’m not saying anything. It was Tsumiki-san who said it.

I...I’m sorry!

Hey, Komaeda-kun. Are you, perhaps, still hiding something?

T...There’s more?

Like... maybe something happened between Togami-kun and Komaeda-kun that we still don’t know about...

Who knows?

...Hrmph. What is left for him to hide?

Aww, that’s so annoying! He’s gone all quiet now that things aren’t going his way!

What did happen during that blackout? Hmmmmm.... Hmmmmm.....

Ah! When Ibuki crosses her eyes everyone here doubles!

Don’t just give up like that! There’s lives on the line!

Eh? Whose lives are on the line?

When the hell are you going to get what the rules are?!

No one could see anything during the blackout... Try as you might, the truth shall remain hidden in darkness.

Heh... Not a bad metaphor, coming from the likes of me, is it? The metaphorical “darkness” is an analogue for-

No. You’re wrong.

...Wrong? How am I wrong?

You said “the truth shall remain hidden in darkness”... but it won’t.

We still have something that can illuminate the situation... so to speak.

Mioda’s Testimony

THAT PROVES IT!

It’s true that no one could see anything during the blackout. But that doesn’t mean no one could hear anything.
...Isn’t that right, Mioda?

Is it?!

D...Don’t just forget all about it!

Don’t you remember telling us about it? You know, about who said what while the lights were out...

C...Calm down, everyone! We have to keep calm at a time like this!
Waaah! Don't step on my feet!
Oy, what are you doing?!
Stop it!!
Ow!
Turn on the lights! It’s hard to eat this way!
Hey, everyone! Where are you? T...This power outage... it isn't just in the kitchen?
Could someone perhaps have flipped the circuit breakers?
W...Wait here! I'll use the walls as a guide and go see if I can’t fix this...!

As expected from a “Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member”! That’s amazing, being able to distinguish the voices like that!

Her face, brains, style and personality may be a failure, but at least she has good ears!

Tahaaaa! Ibuki’s been stabbed with the knife of a fine argument!

But, listening to Togami and Komaeda’s words during the blackout...

Oy, what are you doing?!
Stop it!!
Ow!

It almost sounds like... Komaeda was met with a counterattack from Togami...

Well, that would be because I was.

Eh?

I guess I should show my respect for Mioda-san’s talent... and make a small confession.

The truth is, I was pushed away by Togami-kun. Right there under the table.

You were pushed away... by Togami-kun?

When the lights went out, I quickly crawled under the table to retrieve the hidden knife, but...
Togami-kun, wearing his night-vision goggles, found me and pushed me away from the table.

That’s right... I am the worst kind of incompetent fool... I couldn’t even get to my own knife...

So... when Komaeda was about to get his knife, he was seen by Togami...

...And before he could reach that knife, he was pushed from under the table?

When you listen to their words during the blackout...

Oy, what are you doing?!
Stop it!!
Ow!

...It certainly sounds that way. In fact, I’d go as far as to say...

...It can’t be anything else.

After I was pushed from under the table, I joined the rest of you in your simple state of confusion.
I’d lost my glow-in-the-dark landmark, and I couldn’t tell where the electric cord was anymore.

Then, after a while, the lights came back on and we found Togami-kun’s body under the table...

W...Wait just a second!

So... Are you trying to say you’re not the culprit?

Ever since we decided to hold the party, I’ve been planning...
Hiding the knife and setting up the power outage... those were certainly parts of the plan...

But, unfortunately, my plan ended in failure, all because of Togami-kun and his night-vision goggles...

What happened after the plan failed... I do not know myself.

E...Ended up in failure...? So... you’re saying you couldn’t kill Togami?

T...This time we really are back on square one!

Back on square one?! After all that discussion?!

“Meaningless”... There is no word that is more despair-inducing.

But, you must not give up! You must face forward with hope in your hearts, and do your best!
You are the symbols of hope! You can recover and rise up again, as many times as is required!

Is Komaeda... really not the culprit?

And before that... is that really the Komaeda I knew?

No... I can’t say I “knew” Komaeda at all...
I thought I knew him... but I didn’t. I had no idea.

I never knew... what he was really like.

That’s... all there is to it.

But... now’s not the time to worry about that.
Whatever we do... we must expose the culprit who killed Togami.

Because...

If we can’t...

...It’s all over!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

quote:

You were supposed to leave the galaxy, Doctor Manhattan :mad:

So, Nagito actually used his talent. And he's stark raving mad. If he's not the culprit, are they going to keep a crazy murderer wannabe free on the island? That's what killed Leon :ohdear:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"suspended"? Don't we already have all the information we need? What could we need a recess for?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

...are we already taking a recess in the middle of a trial? The first trial? :stare: This game keeps making things more and more interesting than the first one!

EDIT: Also I feel like we have enough evidence at this point to reason our way to an answer, but whatever, maybe we'll figure out what's up with those floorboards or whatever

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Krinkle posted:

"suspended"? Don't we already have all the information we need? What could we need a recess for?

We need to find the skewer and entrance to the crawlspace. As things currently stand, we merely have a whole lot of speculation about "Well, it has to be Hanamura that went under the crawlspace because he's small enough to fit under there, and creepy" and whatnot.

I wouldn't be confident enough to put my own life on the line from that much evidence.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami
At this point, it looks like the prevailing theory about the culprit is going to be completely correct. Despite all of that conflicting evidence, it turns out that the first trial still looks to be fairly easy after all. Especially if we're going to suspend the trial to look for more evidence.

Honestly, it's kind of a shame. Hopefully we'll get some more interesting trials down the line.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Suspended? :stare:

Man, Nagito is really off the wall in his despair/hope combo. I imagine first priority after this will be zoning in on Gundam to ask him how he got his earring back. That's definitely the key point to get the ball rolling in getting what we need to make a solid case against somebody else.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man Nagito is great. What a psychopath :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The type who watches "Friday the 13th" with a gleam in his eyes... Just like me.

We're going to have to keep a close eye on Sonia, aren't we.

Huh. I actually am surprised that they did have Nagito use his SHSL Luck instead of rigging the draw.

Good, Mikan! Good on you for speaking up.

Classroom trial suspended? That's new. there's never been an intermission in DR 1, except once to go look at the crime scene and poke the body's junk.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

That’s right... I am the worst kind of incompetent fool... I couldn’t even get to my own knife...

Hm, that expression seems familiar, where have I seen that befo-

Oh. Right.

Also, nice to see Mikan getting her little moment there. :unsmith:

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Suspended? What? I... Dangan Ronpa is seriously messing with my mind. I don't know what to think.

Well, besides that Nagito is genuinely kind of scaring me right now. That kid is hosed up, it's simultaneously amazing and terrifying. He seems to have a SHSL inferiority complex too.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Well, I'm glad Mikan spoke up.
Didn't they suspend a trial in the first game, to investigate Chihiro further? It just didn't actually say "Classroom Trial Suspended".

• Locked thread