Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly think monsters should just do something definitive when they're capture-able. I mean they're supposed to anyhow (drag themselves), but sometimes they are randomly assholes and never show you this animation, even when they zone.

90% of the time I have no problem capping but these instances happen where I won't attack them for several minutes in fear I've hit em too much, they zone just fine, I start wailing on them again and bam they're dead.

If only there was a way to know for sure, like some kind of armor skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone prefer playing on the 3DS instead of the Wii U, or am I a nut? While I enjoy the HD resolution the framerate is really erratic and it's loving annoying, I'm also more accurate with the 3D since it's easier to judge distances.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
That was basically why I stopped playing Monster Hunter Tri. Trying to capture Quropeco with a bowgun when it wouldn't even show its limp animation was just too much bullshit for me.

I'm debating picking up the 3DS version, but somehow I don't think any of the farmers down here in Salisbury are gearing up for some monster huntin' action, so I'd have to solo it. Not sure if it's worth it at that point.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Miijhal posted:

That was basically why I stopped playing Monster Hunter Tri. Trying to capture Quropeco with a bowgun when it wouldn't even show its limp animation was just too much bullshit for me.

Sounds like someone should've been in the Bone Zone. :c00lbert:

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

It took me 10 Gigginox kills, but I finally got my Black Coffin. Combine it with the Wroggi set and I am now Django! :cool:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
question about switch axe sword phials. How do they function as far as damage is concerned? For instance I have an Arzuros Axe with a poison phial and a poison element (unawakened). But i still do poison damage (poisoned a Qurupeco last night). So is some portion of the ~500 attack dealt as poison? or is that all normal damage with some poison on top of that.

Also with axes listed as "element" phials, do they deal all elements? do they pick the lowest resist? How do extra elemental or awakened effects stack/work with phials?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I checked the weapon trees and to make sure you can do both the lance and gunlance full upgrades you need to do the Streaking Bullfango quest enough to get 9 vouchers. It took me 9 runs, although on run 9 I did get two vouchers in my rewards. 1/3 for Lance and 1/2/2 for Gunlance. So enjoy your tedious runs, guys.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

treeboy posted:

question about switch axe sword phials. How do they function as far as damage is concerned? For instance I have an Arzuros Axe with a poison phial and a poison element (unawakened). But i still do poison damage (poisoned a Qurupeco last night). So is some portion of the ~500 attack dealt as poison? or is that all normal damage with some poison on top of that.

Also with axes listed as "element" phials, do they deal all elements? do they pick the lowest resist? How do extra elemental or awakened effects stack/work with phials?

Phials are kinda weird, yeah. The way it works is that the phials only take effect in sword mode, so Power phials boost the physical damage and Elemental phials boost the elemental damage of the sword mode. The other phials, like Poison or Dragon or whatever means that it only has that effect when in sword mode and the axe mode doesn't get it at all. The Azuros axe will only be doing poison damage when in sword form (it'll show up as a little purple splotch when you attack), but if you have the Awakening skill it will have poison element innately and be able to poison things while in axe mode as well.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Mr. Vile posted:

Phials are kinda weird, yeah. The way it works is that the phials only take effect in sword mode, so Power phials boost the physical damage and Elemental phials boost the elemental damage of the sword mode. The other phials, like Poison or Dragon or whatever means that it only has that effect when in sword mode and the axe mode doesn't get it at all. The Azuros axe will only be doing poison damage when in sword form (it'll show up as a little purple splotch when you attack), but if you have the Awakening skill it will have poison element innately and be able to poison things while in axe mode as well.

ok i figured about 80% of that, but the element phial is good to know. I'm currently deciding which upgrade path to pursue and the Power/Slime Brisant Demolisher line is looking really nice

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there some trick to this Heat Exhaustion quest? I feel like I'm missing something obvious; It gives me dung bombs to scare off the huge beastie, but I can't use them while I'm carrying the powderstones, and he always seems to run right for me and roar, destroying the stone. I feel like it isn't actually a mandatory quest, but my only two available ones are that and the one to capture a lagiacrus, and I can't imagine that'd be mandatory either since none of the other capture one were.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Emalde posted:

This was a big thing from 2nd gen that was just completely removed. More than half of the monsters had very obvious capture-tells, and the lack of this detail remains one of the only things about 3rd gen that makes me rather angry about it.

You've said this before and I still don't know what you're actually talking about. I've always just looked for limping. I'm sure the occasional monster or two has some tells but I don't think this was necessarily a removed gameplay mechanic. I know Plesioth would stop what he was doing and go completely rigid for a few seconds, but that always struck me as a weird animation glitch because of how sudden it is. I can't really think of anything other than that. And for 3rd gen, there's at least one example: Royal Ludroth's eyes glow orange underwater until he's ready to capture, and then they stop glowing and turn a dull grey color. Hard or impossible to see on land, though.

edit: Now that I start to think about it, I seem to recall kutku putting his ears back, also, so I guess that is a mechanic and I'd just forgotten about it. Either way though, it's still there for at least one monster.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 26, 2013

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Is there some trick to this Heat Exhaustion quest? I feel like I'm missing something obvious; It gives me dung bombs to scare off the huge beastie, but I can't use them while I'm carrying the powderstones, and he always seems to run right for me and roar, destroying the stone. I feel like it isn't actually a mandatory quest, but my only two available ones are that and the one to capture a lagiacrus, and I can't imagine that'd be mandatory either since none of the other capture one were.

If I remember correctly they're both actually mandatory. The capture the lagi will progress the story into fighting a bigger new monster and I believe powderstones need to be done at a later point to progress the story again.

Try and get a food buff for "lander" which lets you skip zones 9 and 8 by jumping off the cliff. There is also a food buff "strongcat" which prevents you from being able to drop the stone.

If you're really still having a hard time you can get the armor skill "transporter" which lets you move faster while holding them.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Use Loc Lac armor, it allows you to run faster while carrying stuff. Just stay as far away from Urugaan as possible, his roar can make you drop the stone. Otherwise, just run all the way through the area to the next one.

E: You actually just need to finish one of the quests to continue afaik. Choose the one you think is easiest and ignore the other one.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Paintball the urugaan so you know where he is and make sure your health is maxxed out so you don't die. Just avoid the area urugaan is in and loving run for it. Food skills also trivialize it yeah.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Funkmaster General posted:

edit: Now that I start to think about it, I seem to recall kutku putting his ears back, also, so I guess that is a mechanic and I'd just forgotten about it. Either way though, it's still there for at least one monster.

Kutku/Garuga pull back their ears, Blango cheeks grow pale, Khezu stands rigid for ~7 seconds, Shogun/Daimyo froth blood, Gypceros plays dead more often, Diablos/Monoblos rage on hit (though this one is still present in 3rd gen), Hypnoc's tail feathers lower, Plesioth and Lavasioth lose their auras (and Plesioth's top fin folds back [also applies to Cephadrome]), the Preydromes would all instantly leave an area if you damaged them while they were weak.

There were a ton of these dude, you played frontier for loving months how do you not know about these

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So if a monster is ready for cap it takes 2 Tranq Bombs, but if ready and enraged it's 3 right? Or is there some other reason why it sometimes takes 3?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Countblanc posted:

You have to make the mask for underwater breathing like the text in the game told you to.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pixaal posted:

You have to make the mask for underwater breathing like the text in the game told you to.

What are you talking about? He's talking about powderstone delivery and trying to avoid Uragaan.

Use the Felyne Lander food buff, Count. Then you can jump from the top to the bottom.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Emalde posted:

Kutku/Garuga pull back their ears, Blango cheeks grow pale, Khezu stands rigid for ~7 seconds, Shogun/Daimyo froth blood, Gypceros plays dead more often, Diablos/Monoblos rage on hit (though this one is still present in 3rd gen), Hypnoc's tail feathers lower, Plesioth and Lavasioth lose their auras (and Plesioth's top fin folds back [also applies to Cephadrome]), the Preydromes would all instantly leave an area if you damaged them while they were weak.

There were a ton of these dude, you played frontier for loving months how do you not know about these

Okay, well I misremembered Khezu's thing as being Plesioth's thing, and I have no idea what you're talking about WRT auras because neither of those monsters have auras to begin with, but the others fair enough. I actually do totally remember the crabs frothing blood now also. Monsters in Tri still behave differently in the sense of stuff like getting angry faster or running away (the gypceros thing would probably also happen if he existed here), and like I mentioned the Ludroth thing is a thing. So really the only thing we can confirm was actually changed here was that Plesioth doesn't fold his fin anymore, and that with that one exception of Ludroth this stuff wasn't "kept up" this gen.

I appreciate the part of the game that involves watching monster behavior and learning what's going on based on that, but from a new player perspective it's easier to understand if everything just limps anyway, so I'm hard up to call this a bad change.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
For the Powderstone quest and progression, I had captured Lagi and it opened up a few new quests (second rescue quest). I had just the powderstone quest left and couldn't beat it. I accidentally made the ancient mask and that progressed my story fwiw. That powderstone quest can gently caress right off.

Edit: efb

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Emalde posted:

What are you talking about? He's talking about powderstone delivery and trying to avoid Uragaan.

Use the Felyne Lander food buff, Count. Then you can jump from the top to the bottom.

quote:

I feel like it isn't actually a mandatory quest, but my only two available ones are that and the one to capture a lagiacrus, and I can't imagine that'd be mandatory either since none of the other capture one were.

This is the part I'm talking about. He's trying to do the quest to move on with the story, when its not a quest to move on.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Countblanc posted:

Capturing the lagiacrus is the mandatory quest. Powderstones is not. After the capture you have to complete the villager request to make the underwater mask. Or something? I dunno, here just look at this list -

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Village_Quests

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pixaal posted:

This is the part I'm talking about. He's trying to do the quest to move on with the story, when its not a quest to move on.

Yes it is? He's right before Kayamba, you have to do the powderstone quest to progress. This isn't Tri.

e: i guess you can do either? I didn't have to capture lagi to get Shaka Savior 2 to come up

Funkmaster General posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about WRT auras because neither of those monsters have auras to begin with

Are you sure you played Frontier?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

quote != edit

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I didn't do the powderstone quest, just the capture lagi quest and got to move on. It's kind of funny since I captured lagi the first time anyways! So I guess it's either or then.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Felyne mask is a 4* trade? What stop does it come from, farmer, hunter, or wyverian?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Speedboat Jones posted:

The Felyne mask is a 4* trade? What stop does it come from, farmer, hunter, or wyverian?

Wyverian Hub

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Emalde posted:

Yes it is? He's right before Kayamba, you have to do the powderstone quest to progress. This isn't Tri.

e: i guess you can do either? I didn't have to capture lagi to get Shaka Savior 2 to come up

Are you sure you played Frontier?

I guess you *can* do either. I didn't touch the stone quest and captured lagi instead. Boom. Save Kayamba time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

For anyone whose far enough on the game, are there any armor sets at HR/GR that are fully paintable aside from Ludroth? I love fully paintable sets like Ludroth and Chameleos, especially if there's an unlockable rainbow coloring like in FU.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man I forgot how bad it is to fight a Rathalos solo. He isn't hard or anything, just crazy loving annoying. Let's see:

A. Has the ability to be a jerk and spend the entire fight in the air, there's only a chance he'll chain attacks into landing.
B. The majority of his attacks are area-clearing charge attacks, which further prolong the fight.
C. Rages very, very frequently, interrupting attack chains all the time.
D. Looveeess to move around. Especially when it's at <25% HP. When it starts limping, if I don't have traps I can go ahead and tack on another 15 minutes to the fight because it'll let me hit it once or twice before it flies away again.

Why do your armor and weapons have to be so badass? :negative:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a trick or set of items I should use for Diablos?
I only killed him because the 3 people in my party were way over geared. I spent the whole time healing and trying run. I hit him maybe 20 times.
Its gonna suck in SP unless I figure something out

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man I forgot how bad it is to fight a Rathalos solo. He isn't hard or anything, just crazy loving annoying. Let's see:

A. Has the ability to be a jerk and spend the entire fight in the air, there's only a chance he'll chain attacks into landing.
B. The majority of his attacks are area-clearing charge attacks, which further prolong the fight.
C. Rages very, very frequently, interrupting attack chains all the time.
D. Looveeess to move around. Especially when it's at <25% HP. When it starts limping, if I don't have traps I can go ahead and tack on another 15 minutes to the fight because it'll let me hit it once or twice before it flies away again.

Why do your armor and weapons have to be so badass? :negative:

Flash Bomb him whenever he starts hovering around, being a dick

Fauxtool posted:

I only killed him because the 3 people in my party were way over geared. I spent the whole time healing and trying run. I hit him maybe 20 times.

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying this but in my experience you just need to stay under his legs at almost all times and sonic bomb him whenever he goes underground. I don't have much trouble with him.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

For Diablos, you can pin him to a wall and some stone structures if he runs into them, and you can keep doing it until you break both his horns. You can also pop him out of the ground with Sonic Bombs when he's not angry.

When he is angry, you run and pray. Or trap him, maybe.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Diablos is one of those monsters that seems crazy difficult when you first fight him and then you realize that you can sonic bomb him whenever he goes underground (except when he is enraged) and flash bomb him when he is above ground and it really trivializes the fight. It's best to focus on his body/legs/tail and stay away from his head.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Moldy Taxes posted:

For anyone whose far enough on the game, are there any armor sets at HR/GR that are fully paintable aside from Ludroth? I love fully paintable sets like Ludroth and Chameleos, especially if there's an unlockable rainbow coloring like in FU.

Wait, I can paint armours!?

Lexorin posted:

Capturing the lagiacrus is the mandatory quest. Powderstones is not. After the capture you have to complete the villager request to make the underwater mask. Or something? I dunno, here just look at this list -

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Village_Quests

I did powderstones instead of Capture a Lagi and it advanced the story for me.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 26, 2013

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Majuju posted:

Wait, I can paint armours!?

If this game follows suit with MHFU, you can paint HR armor one of twelve colors, and GR armor any color. Although most of them just paint little symbols on the piece, or paint a highlight.

Chameleos and Ludroth armors are super special, though, because the paint recolors the whole piece.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 26, 2013

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah. I have the HR Zinogre armor and the armor recolors are all for the accents. Still makes a huge visual difference. It's the best.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 26, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
First rustshard I got turned out to be a rusty weapon. It was also a lance which was what I use, however the first form of it looks like a giant turd on your back. Like I'm not even embellishing anything it honestly does.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

WendigoJohnson posted:

First rustshard I got turned out to be a rusty weapon. It was also a lance which was what I use, however the first form of it looks like a giant turd on your back. Like I'm not even embellishing anything it honestly does.

Polish up that turd (actual advice for once)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

So if a monster is ready for cap it takes 2 Tranq Bombs, but if ready and enraged it's 3 right? Or is there some other reason why it sometimes takes 3?

Because you have Status Atk Down active, likely from the Lagi armor you are wearing.

• Locked thread