Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Argent Cinereus posted:

Well, now I'm going to have to rename his sword.

Also, about the paralogues with the children: At what point are the inherited skills set, once the paralogue appears, or once the chapter's actually started?

When the chapter starts.

And if you back out, switch stuff around and then come back in it'll update the inherited stats and skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Henry is the best. He's so enthusiastically :black101: about everything.

"I'm gonna kill you!'

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
To illustrate the point,

a while later after a lot more grinding,

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any real way to predict where reinforcements are coming in or do you just guess and hope your crap unit isn't standing next to all those wyvern riders who just showed up? Cordelia just took one for the team, though since she kind of sucks I'm not too upset about it, but I figured they'd come in from the corner of the map, not from a random fort.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there any real way to predict where reinforcements are coming in or do you just guess and hope your crap unit isn't standing next to all those wyvern riders who just showed up? Cordelia just took one for the team, though since she kind of sucks I'm not too upset about it, but I figured they'd come in from the corner of the map, not from a random fort.

Bosses will generally talk about the reinforcements they're bringing in 2-3 turns ahead of the reinforcements.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

Bosses will generally talk about the reinforcements they're bringing in 2-3 turns ahead of the reinforcements.

Right, I know roughly when they'll show up, but I was hoping for where. The guy said "behind" and actually meant "to the center left a little".

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Forts and stairways are mostly predictable (except for when they pull poo poo like spawning dudes right next to Severa's villager friend once you talk to him least that's what happened to me) but the flier reinforcements they start throwing out during Valm end as a death sentence for anyone vulnerable and you can't forget the nightmare that is the Oasis chapter. It's mild compared to FE12, but same turn reinforcements are still pretty terrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Perfect Potato posted:

Forts and stairways are mostly predictable (except for when they pull poo poo like spawning dudes right next to Severa's villager friend once you talk to him least that's what happened to me) but the flier reinforcements they start throwing out during Valm end as a death sentence for anyone vulnerable and you can't forget the nightmare that is the Oasis chapter. It's mild compared to FE12, but same turn reinforcements are still pretty terrible.

Jesus Christ, Chapter 11. So many wyverns, so many mages. Olivia nearly died to the first reinforcement, didn't expect it that quick. Or to show up every single turn since. It's a good thing that Kellam, Sully, and my avatar are now virtually invincible. :shepface:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Blompkin posted:

When is Lucina's inherited skill from her mother set? I want to give her galeforce, but I don't know which chapter her mother has to have it by in order for Lucina to inherit it.

I've started my second playthrough and this time I'm doing character eugenics. Some of my original pairs, that seemed funny or fitting at the time, wound up with really weak characters. My new plan is:

Chrom + Sumia

Miriel + Henry

Tharja + Ricken (sort of creepy, but it's all for min/maxing)

Nowi + Kellam (ditto)

Olivia + Frederick

Cherche + Donnell

Cordelia + Vaike

Panne + Lon'qu

If you're set on optimising marriages, the most important thing you can do is maximise the number of children who are capable of getting Galeforce. The three characters that you have to look at here are Tharja, Sully and Nowi: all three have female children who don't normally have access to the Pegasus Knight class (and therefore to Dark Flier and Galeforce). However, if you marry them off to a Male Avatar, Donnel or Gaius, their kids will get access to Pegasus Knight. Avatar is probably the best choice for Tharja, provided you didn't take Magic as your Flaw, since the other two both have negative Mag cap modifiers -- but there are advantages to marrying the Avatar off to a second-generation kid too (mostly being able to get hilariously high stat caps in exactly the stats you want). That leaves Donnel and Nowi to pair with Gaius and Sully.

Of course, if you just want characters who are good enough to be usable for everything except the super-hard DLC that hasn't been released yet, you don't have to worry about that stuff.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Thuryl posted:

That leaves Donnel and Nowi to pair with Gaius and Sully.

Respectively? :crossarms: I wish I'd known about those S-rank supports.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KataraniSword posted:

Respectively? :crossarms: I wish I'd known about those S-rank supports.

You can do it either way. Most people would say pair up Sully and Donny because their strengths compliment each other, although I find that Donny and Nowi make a devastating Nah.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/news_2013b.html

Tonight at 9 PM EST, apparently. Wonder what questions people will field at him?

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say "yo what's with the feet?"

EDIT: oh, it's up

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1b2us7/i_am_yusuke_kozakicharacter_designer_for_no_more/

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 27, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

And apparently, it's over (Kozaki said he had no more time).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ChaosArgate posted:

You can do it either way. Most people would say pair up Sully and Donny because their strengths compliment each other, although I find that Donny and Nowi make a devastating Nah.

I'd go Donny/Nowi so that Nah's main trait to be defensive as hell stays. Gaius/Sully is a really good Kjelle, with Donny not so much besides Luck.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say "yo what's with the feet?"

EDIT: oh, it's up

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1b2us7/i_am_yusuke_kozakicharacter_designer_for_no_more/

Hahah he wanted to draw Ike. Couldn't have been anything but an improvement really.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

Hahah he wanted to draw Ike. Couldn't have been anything but an improvement really.

It'd have been rad if he could've drawn Eldigan too...

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

To illustrate the point,

a while later after a lot more grinding,

So if I'm getting this right: if you grind out the parents, the kids' starting stats will be higher when you recruit them?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

yellowcar posted:

So if I'm getting this right: if you grind out the parents, the kids' starting stats will be higher when you recruit them?

Stats are based on the average of both parents+the kids bases.

It's really better to just get the kids as soon as you got the 1/2 abilities you want to be inherited, though.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008
Look what showed up to my doorstep today.

It's got a very nice bit of sparkliness that's hard to capture with an iPhone's camera.

Gorgeous.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 27, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Might want to Timg your pictures.

5 discs though, and I heard there's about 20 songs per disc. Jesus, I don't remember that many songs :psyduck:.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tae posted:

5 discs though, and I heard there's about 20 songs per disc. Jesus, I don't remember that many songs :psyduck:.

Chances are it has all the nostalgia/"retro" songs from the DLC, too. Or it could possibly be a full Fire Emblem series soundtrack (in which case take our money, Nintendo, please)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

There are 77 songs in the game's sound room alone, so 100 or so isn't really much of a stretch.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
I am on chapter 18 now and my Maribelle is 6 speed behind average and I am kinda pissed about it considering that her survivability is already in the gutters in the first place. :bang:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

RocketDarkness posted:

Look what showed up to my doorstep today.

It's got a very nice bit of sparkliness that's hard to capture with an iPhone's camera.

Gorgeous.

The full version of the cover is also pretty amazing.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Thuryl posted:

If you're set on optimising marriages, the most important thing you can do is maximise the number of children who are capable of getting Galeforce. The three characters that you have to look at here are Tharja, Sully and Nowi: all three have female children who don't normally have access to the Pegasus Knight class (and therefore to Dark Flier and Galeforce). However, if you marry them off to a Male Avatar, Donnel or Gaius, their kids will get access to Pegasus Knight. Avatar is probably the best choice for Tharja, provided you didn't take Magic as your Flaw, since the other two both have negative Mag cap modifiers -- but there are advantages to marrying the Avatar off to a second-generation kid too (mostly being able to get hilariously high stat caps in exactly the stats you want). That leaves Donnel and Nowi to pair with Gaius and Sully.

Of course, if you just want characters who are good enough to be usable for everything except the super-hard DLC that hasn't been released yet, you don't have to worry about that stuff.

Thanks for the help! The team doesn't have to be completely optimized, just able to hold their own.

I didn't have a plan originally for Gaius and Sully (wasn't impressed with either's progression rates, but the more galeforce the merrier), so putting them together makes sense. I'll put Donnel with Nowi since it both makes sense and their similarity in age makes it a bit less creepy. I like the Avatar with Lucina, so I'll keep that pairing, and that leaves Kellam now with Cherche.

Here's the updated list:

Chrom + Sumia

Miriel + Henry

Tharja + Ricken (sort of creepy, but it's all for min/maxing)

Nowi + Donnel

Olivia + Frederick

Cherche + Kellam

Cordelia + Vaike

Panne + Lon'qu

Gaius + Sully

Thanks again for the help!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
A question regarding StreetPasses: I got two of them over the past week, started the game up, and saw them appear as green avatar units on the map. I want to use some other 3DS games and apps before I fight them. If I save my game on the map now and start it back later, I'm guessing they'll still be there, but I just want to make sure. Is this the case?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
They don't go away until you do something to make them vanish - fight, recruit, buy something, or dismiss them.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

I found an interesting thing you can do with Taguels and Manaketes. If you keep them as Taguels/Manaketes and use a Second Seal, you can put them back at level 1 as a Taguel/Manakete without losing any stats. I did this with Panne once she hit level 30 and used a Second Seal on her. Using this method, she is now at level 14 and has these stats (includes a Stats +2 skill I gave her):

HP - 75
Strength - 40
Mag - 15
Skill - 42
Speed - 46
Luck - 31
Def - 31
Res - 10

The only character stronger than her that this point is Fredrick (who went through a Second Seal - Master Seal growth) whose strength is at 41 and she's tied with Donnel for strength.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think any class will lose or gain stats if you use a seal to re-enter the same class.

You can have high stats at a low level, because level isn't really tied directly to stats; changing classes will modify stats and caps in accordance with the class, but the character's internal stats only ever go up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

theonlypie314SA posted:

I found an interesting thing you can do with Taguels and Manaketes. If you keep them as Taguels/Manaketes and use a Second Seal, you can put them back at level 1 as a Taguel/Manakete without losing any stats. I did this with Panne once she hit level 30 and used a Second Seal on her. Using this method, she is now at level 14 and has these stats (includes a Stats +2 skill I gave her):

HP - 75
Strength - 40
Mag - 15
Skill - 42
Speed - 46
Luck - 31
Def - 31
Res - 10

The only character stronger than her that this point is Fredrick (who went through a Second Seal - Master Seal growth) whose strength is at 41 and she's tied with Donnel for strength.

You can do this with any character that's hit 20/20.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Neo_Crimson posted:

You can do this with any character that's hit 20/20.

Or even just 20/- to go back to level 1 of the base class you're in.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Oh nice. I didn't know you could do that with anyone. I thought it was just Taguel/Manaketes since they were a special class. I guess you can make Donnel more of a tank than his already is by doing this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's generally more worthwhile to take a character through a few different classes, to acquire more skills. The stat growth rates will vary, but they'll still get continual gains in all stats until they hit the caps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

theonlypie314SA posted:

Oh nice. I didn't know you could do that with anyone. I thought it was just Taguel/Manaketes since they were a special class. I guess you can make Donnel more of a tank than his already is by doing this.

Are you actually suggesting to keep Donny in Villager or something?

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Tae posted:

Are you actually suggesting to keep Donny in Villager or something?

Not at all. I was thinking that once you change him to Mercenary or Fighter, you could use the Second Seal trick to get his stats up there by using Aptitude and his Underdog skill to get an extra Hit and Avoid by +15 while still being capable of fighting.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

theonlypie314SA posted:

Not at all. I was thinking that once you change him to Mercenary or Fighter, you could use the Second Seal trick to get his stats up there by using Aptitude and his Underdog skill to get an extra Hit and Avoid by +15 while still being capable of fighting.

His internal level will still continue to go up, so I believe that the underdog bonus wouldn't actually take effect in this situation.

edit: guess not

astr0man fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 27, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

astr0man posted:

His internal level will still continue to go up, so I believe that the underdog bonus wouldn't actually take effect in this situation.

Underdog works with just the level I.E. Hero level 1 is 21 to the game. Internal level only matters for XP gain.

theonlypie314SA posted:

Donny will max out his caps much faster than any other unit in the game barring his kid with aptitude. You don't need to do fancy second seal tricks for him.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yeah, I promoted Donny out of villager at ~11 and he capped his stats as a Mercenary at level 14 or so. He does not need help - he's a monster on his own. :black101:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You can do that with anyone actually. The stats you lose when second sealing normally are the differences between the base stats of the two classes.

E: teach me to leave the window open for while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So according to Serenesforest, we're not only getting the Lyn Map but Rogues and Redeemers 1 (The Epher) tomorrow: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/news_2013b.html

I don't understand the schedule anymore.

• Locked thread