Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I use some alcohol wipes. For screens I get ones that are intended for eyeglasses. It's about $3 for a box of fifty and unless you're completely OCD that should last you a while.

Those aren't really good for your screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Xavier434 posted:

I think both of you are kind of right. What would be neat is if one could at least push a button on the Gamepad which immediately launched the web browser and brought you to a fully fleshed out Wiki. They could stand to include some additional in game resources as well but limit it to the more commonly accessed information such as (but not limited to) weapon/armor trees.

I would hate it if any of the WiiU games did this. It amounts to saying "You have to have the game connected to the internet to work" which as far as I know no other game does yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVDcZ_YNKA A brief let's play of Need for Speed U, shows off the amazing visuals and new features.

Holy poo poo I want a gif of that cop tornado.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's this http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=UBoost+(Black)

Regarding the hand-holding discussion, I always thought the GTA games do a really good job telling you how to do things in a clear and unintrusive way.

Ended up finding one of these at Frys, so I picked it up. In case anyone was wondering about it, it feels kinda flimsy, like I'm gonna break it when I pull out the stand, but otherwise it seems to work as advertised and what the hell, it was 20 bucks. At least doubled my pad's life to about seven hours, though I didn't really measure it.

(edit)

Taear posted:

I would hate it if any of the WiiU games did this. It amounts to saying "You have to have the game connected to the internet to work" which as far as I know no other game does yet.
No other console game, anyway.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Taear posted:

Uh, not really? Making looking at the Wiki really convenient is a pretty far cry from requiring an internet connection.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas posted:

Final Fight Double Impact on PSN requires you to be connected to the internet to play because Capcom was tinkering with DRM at the time, got a bunch of negative feedback about it, then.. never patched it out. Fuckers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Taear posted:

They could just include the guide as part of the game, like DX3 Director's Cut is doing.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I think when I was playing NSMBU, I opened the browser so I could look something up for the game and it automatically said 'Hey, are you looking for help in NSMBU?' and sent me to gamefaqs.

I could be making all this up, but I swear I remember the browser mentioning that I was searching for the game I was playing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rack posted:

I think when I was playing NSMBU, I opened the browser so I could look something up for the game and it automatically said 'Hey, are you looking for help in NSMBU?' and sent me to gamefaqs.

I could be making all this up, but I swear I remember the browser mentioning that I was searching for the game I was playing.

Yeah whatever the title calls itself will come up as a prompt to google it. In the case of Monster Hunter it comes up as MH3U and New Super Mario is NSMBU I have no idea what other games call themselves, but its probably not going to be the full title for most games which could cause issues. Though I guess if people are aware of the feature they'll try and associate it with their site so it shows up in a google search.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think you can play DUST 541 without an internet connection, and I don't think console Teamfortress 2 really has any offline content unless you count a one player LAN (I don't think you can even access the Dev Commentary mode without it), and I don't think anybody buys Left4Dead for its singleplayer experience. Rumor has it that the next XBOX will require/expect a constant internet connection. Didn't the Everquest port for PS2 require a connection always?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chronojam posted:

I don't think you can play DUST 541 without an internet connection, and I don't think console Teamfortress 2 really has any offline content unless you count a one player LAN (I don't think you can even access the Dev Commentary mode without it), and I don't think anybody buys Left4Dead for its singleplayer experience. Rumor has it that the next XBOX will require/expect a constant internet connection. Didn't the Everquest port for PS2 require a connection always?

I'm almost positive the Console port of Diablo 3 will require a constant internet connection even for "single" player.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

pixaal posted:

I'm almost positive the Console port of Diablo 3 will require a constant internet connection even for "single" player.

Blizzard already said it will not.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, my copy of NFS arrived today, which was cool. Dicked around for about an hour, did a couple races. I don't know if it was just my starting car or too much Lego City recently, but I'm finding the controls to be either too stiff or too lose depending on whether or not I'm at speed. I did find a new car that seemed to fit my playstyle a bit better, so maybe that'll fix my control woes. Also, it's really cool to have the Co-driver mode available even in single player. I can't think of many games that essentially give you the debug menu and tell you to go nuts.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pixaal posted:

Nope, won't even have the auction house.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Taear posted:

It wouldn't be a requirement no matter what game decided to do this though. It's just an added convenience which could be substituted with any other device that the user has which also connects to the internet. Totally optional.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What I'd settle for right now is a universal way of switching games with off-TV play from TV to gamepad. Right now of the games I have Mighty Switch Force HD can only be done from a button on level select, Zen Pinball is a touch gesture, Tekken Tag 2 is a thing in the options and Need for Speed is the minus button. It's probably not a major issue but it is getting on my nerves when I have to trawl through the manual or wait for a loading screen tip (or in Zen Pinball's case, get lucky) to tell me how to get the thing on the gamepad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nothing is happening when I plug in the AC adapter thing to charge the gamepad. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea on what I can do about it? It was working fine yesterday, not really sure why it's stopped working.

At least I can still use my classic controller to play Monster Hunter.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KimT posted:

Nothing is happening when I plug in the AC adapter thing to charge the gamepad. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea on what I can do about it? It was working fine yesterday, not really sure why it's stopped working.

You probably need to get either the charger of the pad itself back to Nintendo pretty soon.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

KimT posted:

does it charge in the cradle? might be a problem with the gamepad AC rather than the charger. Reminds me of older laptops which could have the AC plugs snapped off the motherboard if they're jerked out at angles rather than straight. Pop the solder right off the board.

edit: obligatory IT question - is it plugged in? is the light switch that you inadvertently turned off turned on?

treeboy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 26, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

treeboy posted:

does it charge in the cradle? might be a problem with the gamepad AC rather than the charger. Reminds me of older laptops which could have the AC plugs snapped off the motherboard if they're jerked out at angles rather than straight. Pop the solder right off the board.

No it doesn't work in the cradle either. I tried changing the fuse in the plug, and I also opened up the gamepad and the battery wasn't loose or anything but it still won't charge. I guess I'll phone Nintendo and see what they say. (And yeah it's plugged in. I tried plugging it into a couple of different sockets too to make sure)

EDIT: They told me to send the gamepad and adapter to them. This sucks, don't think I've ever had a problem with a Nintendo product before.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 26, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

blackguy32 posted:

They don't do it like Dark Cloud 2 where there is a tutorial built into the menu broken down by parts that you can access at any time?

That was a game with a lot of different aspects and features that definitely needed those tutorials.

I like how Xenoblade does it -- every time a new system or concept is introduced, you get an unavoidable little one-screen splash page giving you the most basic summary of how it works. If you're interested, though, a more comprehensive tutorial gets added to a list of tutorials accessible through the menu. That said, I still have no idea how the gently caress gem crafting works.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does Lego City Undercover have a thread? Or should I post about it in here?

Because it's really hilarious so far, but goddamn I can't stand the driving. I keep driving into other cars and blowing up. Also I don't know what the generic lego bricks I keep picking up are for.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does Lego City Undercover have a thread? Or should I post about it in here?

Because it's really hilarious so far, but goddamn I can't stand the driving. I keep driving into other cars and blowing up. Also I don't know what the generic lego bricks I keep picking up are for.

Are they for anything? Anyone know? The Lego total on the right lets you do super builds. My Lego total on the left seems to do nothing at all, buy seems to be the world currency in cut scenes, although I can scarcely see any place to spend them.

Driving is fine for me, practically any car handles better than your squad car.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

KimT posted:

No it doesn't work in the cradle either. I tried changing the fuse in the plug, and I also opened up the gamepad and the battery wasn't loose or anything but it still won't charge. I guess I'll phone Nintendo and see what they say. (And yeah it's plugged in. I tried plugging it into a couple of different sockets too to make sure)

EDIT: They told me to send the gamepad and adapter to them. This sucks, don't think I've ever had a problem with a Nintendo product before.

Try pulling the battery out and leaving it disconnected for a while, like 30-60 minutes. When I bought my WiiU I posted in here that my Gamepad seemed to be dead on arrival, wouldn't power on or charge when plugged in. While troubleshooting the issue I had pulled the battery & left it on my desk, came back an hour later to put everything back together and suddenly it turned on and has worked flawlessly since. Might save you some hassles.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cultisto posted:

Try pulling the battery out and leaving it disconnected for a while, like 30-60 minutes. When I bought my WiiU I posted in here that my Gamepad seemed to be dead on arrival, wouldn't power on or charge when plugged in. While troubleshooting the issue I had pulled the battery & left it on my desk, came back an hour later to put everything back together and suddenly it turned on and has worked flawlessly since. Might save you some hassles.

It's worth a shot I suppose, I'll see if it works, thanks.

It's just such a weird thing to randomly happen. There were no signs of it dying or anything. I almost always have the charger plugged into the gamepad when I'm using the WiiU, I wonder if that's what caused the problem?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

greatn posted:

My Lego total on the left seems to do nothing at all, buy seems to be the world currency in cut scenes, although I can scarcely see any place to spend them.
You use studs to buy unlocks (cars/outfits/red brick cheats) at the police station

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

KimT posted:

Maybe my cat chewed your cord too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I swear, mix up some water lemon juice and pepper, put it in a spray bottle, spritz your wires, your cats will leave them alone.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

greatn posted:

I swear, mix up some water lemon juice and pepper, put it in a spray bottle, spritz your wires, your cats will leave them alone.

Unless they're my cats. In which case, wrap all cords in tin foil and be made fun of by all when guests come over. gently caress my cats.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

My girlfriend's cat licks all the flavor powder off spicy jalapeño chips, I doubt that would work for me. Fortunately her cat doesn't chew wires, nor does mine.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KimT posted:

The good news is that Nintendo's customer service is legendarily excellent.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Unless they're my cats. In which case, wrap all cords in tin foil and be made fun of by all when guests come over. gently caress my cats.

My cat loves to play with aluminum foil and is not stopped even by the commercial lemon sprays. Only the CritterCords they sell on Amazon (clear plastic tubing that kinda stinks of citrus) keep him away.

He actually chewed all the way through a Wii component cable, and that was not a skinny little cable at all.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The day I brought my Wii U home was the day my cat decided to chew through the Gamepad AC adapter. I was pissed, considering the day of release Nintendo had like a 3 month ETA on replacements. I ordered one and then taught myself to solder! So now I have a poorly soldered (but working!) adapter, and a new one Nintendo sent me that I'll keep packaged until he decides to chew the original again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Droid Washington posted:

The day I brought my Wii U home was the day my cat decided to chew through the Gamepad AC adapter. I was pissed, considering the day of release Nintendo had like a 3 month ETA on replacements. I ordered one and then taught myself to solder! So now I have a poorly soldered (but working!) adapter, and a new one Nintendo sent me that I'll keep packaged until he decides to chew the original again.

You'll remember this day forever. But to your cat it was Tuesday.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Droid Washington posted:

Same story except my cat chewed it enough to short it out and pop something in the adapter. Ended up getting a pretty sweet energizer dock that charges the pad and two wiimotes.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So in Lego City Undercover, is the "Costumes" red brick an "unlock all costumes" cheat or "unlock extra costumes that you can't get otherwise"? I enjoy hunting for costumes, so I'd rather not accidentally cheat them all in.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

njsykora posted:

What I'd settle for right now is a universal way of switching games with off-TV play from TV to gamepad. Right now of the games I have Mighty Switch Force HD can only be done from a button on level select, Zen Pinball is a touch gesture, Tekken Tag 2 is a thing in the options and Need for Speed is the minus button. It's probably not a major issue but it is getting on my nerves when I have to trawl through the manual or wait for a loading screen tip (or in Zen Pinball's case, get lucky) to tell me how to get the thing on the gamepad.

This wouldn't work because 1) some games require both screens at the same time and 2) whatever the universal switching input was, some would want to use it for some other function. Requiring certain controls to be used for certain things is pretty fascist. Not all games work the same way, so the developers need freedom. This also means they're free to be morons.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This wouldn't work because 1) some games require both screens at the same time and 2) whatever the universal switching input was, some would want to use it for some other function. Requiring certain controls to be used for certain things is pretty fascist. Not all games work the same way, so the developers need freedom. This also means they're free to be morons.

They could have easily made the "universal switching function" like the home screen manuals. Hit home and there could be a toggle between controller only or controller + tv, if the game supports it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Frozen-Solid posted:

They could have easily made the "universal switching function" like the home screen manuals. Hit home and there could be a toggle between controller only or controller + tv, if the game supports it.

I'm not sure the OS could be made to have access to a game's inner functions. Keep in mind off TV play doesn't work the same way for every game that uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Benly posted:

So in Lego City Undercover, is the "Costumes" red brick an "unlock all costumes" cheat or "unlock extra costumes that you can't get otherwise"? I enjoy hunting for costumes, so I'd rather not accidentally cheat them all in.

If I'm not mistaken I think it dresses the NPC's in the game world in weird outfits: gorilla, monster, clowns, etc. If that's your thing, go for it. :)

Personally I'm dressed as Honey for law enforcement and my civilian is edited to look like Iwata.

• Locked thread