Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

my dad posted:

1 Sneaky Bastard :human being: - 62 points
3 Veteran Wolf Riders :black101::black101::black101: - 84 points
1 Goblin Shaman :okpos: - 26 points
1 Magical Axe :dota101: - 85 points
43 Gold :20bux::20bux::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: - 43 points

Watching Halflings burn :supaburn: - priceless.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here, because this is actually a really diverse distribution. Therefore, This.

Triple Edit: If you managed to read my request on the map zooming before I deleted/edited, ignore it. I was totally misinterpreting the up-close battles for the actual campaign map :doh:

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

my dad posted:

All of this, except instead of stupidly burning the gold we use 40 points to also take the helm.

Zabrien
Jul 31, 2011

my dad posted:

I agree with this.
Also, would it be possible to increase the informativeness a bit? As it is, I am missing some information on what your thoughts are on the strategic decisions (yes, I know there have only been a small number of those so far).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm trying to include them in the comments I make. But the first two missions are pretty straightforward, especially the second one with its 'Run for the objective'. What little dicking around I did is why it got cut so close, especially with the one town rebelling at the start.

But hey, who can say no to Wolf Riders eating more halflings?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

All of this, except instead of stupidly burning the gold we use 40 points to also take the helm.

This, gold should always be our last priority.

Make the Goblin a sneaky bastard, get wall climb and then go melee with extra strike, charge and more stats so he can rush in over walls and eat spellcasters.

SaDiStz0r
Mar 9, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I concur!

Also go for the Wildcard! What can possibly go wrong?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Current Count:

Gorthak the Black

Sneaky Bastard 11 votes
Wildcard 3

Carryover Choices

Gorthak the Black: Fixed
All three Veteran Wolfriders
Goblin Shaman
Both Magical Items

Gold is just a filler so the helmet wins as there are no other votes. Unless this changes somehow this is likely what we'll be looking at next mission.

Expect to see Gorthak and his three buddies a lot next round. Any suggestions for a nickname for them?

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
How about Huey, Dewey and Louie for nicknames?

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Taerkar posted:

Expect to see Gorthak and his three buddies a lot next round. Any suggestions for a nickname for them?

Snap, Crackle and Pop ;)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Snugglecakes posted:

Snap, Crackle and Pop ;)
This. Sounds a lot like a halfling being eaten.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Snugglecakes posted:

Snap, Crackle and Pop ;)

My original idea was Halfling Bites

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I was gonna suggest Hobbit Munchers or The Snack Pack, but my creative thought process has been taking a backseat lately.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The United Cities, Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEDFYoW0U4w

I leave the majority of the Goblins behind me to hold the Northern Trade Roads, whatever hapless trader they should find they are welcome to. My attention turns south to the Halfling Cities, Gorthak and his riders at my side, and the familiar comfort of those magical items upon my person.

My initial maps are very poor, giving me only the vaguest of information about my surroundings. To remedy this I have Gorthak, joined by a few other riders, head along the roads first, to be my eyes and ears.

As we prepare for the campaign ahead I finish the mastery of another one of the spells in my book, but as my thoughts turn to conflict I fear I will not have too much time for them in the future.

Unfortunately it seems that my initial information was rather inaccurate. Though the Orcs are laying siege to these lands they are on the opposite side of the prize from us. I do not know how much help they will be.

The one who leads them, Orag, is a rather competent spellcaster, especially for an Orc.

Orc Shaman posted:

Orc Shamans rule the tribe by meting out honor upon the bravest and most barbaric tribesmen. They determine who will be punished in the clan by becoming archers and who will have the honor of swinging "chopping blades". They are of the few who can actually motivate Orcs to refrain from laziness long enough to work or go to war. They may withhold healing to any soldier they view has not suffered enough for honor, it is not seen as cowardly that they wield magic bolts at a distance. Orc Shaman can also dispel magic, rebuke the undead and their gaze can penetrate the darkest shadows.
He is supported by a handful of Orc Shaman, no doubt his fellows before he ascended to power.

Orc Heavy Cavalry posted:

The Orcish heavy cavalry are some of the most fearsome and intimidating mounted warriors known. Even more so than their infantrymen, Orcish cavalry are known for their brutality and strength in combat.
Among his forces are some of the impressive Orcish Cavalry, how they managed to tame horses that would tolerate Orcs upon their back I will never know.

Upon reaching the crossroads, I send Gorthak up to the north to see what he can find and cause what trouble I know that he can. I proceed to the south to investigate reports of a crossing.

Along the way I practice more of my magical arts and find myself once more reaching a new level of understanding of them. My talents are among the greatest ever known at this point.

What we find to the south is a shipyard and a watchtower, but any plans of obtaining a ship to cross the waters will have to wait for the future. I simply do not have the resources available at this time to do such, especially with how hostile the waters are around here.

To the north I am told that Gorthak goes about his task with the deadly competence that I have begun to associate with him. He is at the forefront of his riders, his blade often the first to find Keeper flesh.

A remarkably clever Goblin, I expect great things from him in the future.

A messenger bat from my allies to the south brings word that they have found an odd dungeon in the eastern mountains, though they are not able to investigate it right now. Who knows what the Halflings may have locked away in those cells.

Great Eagle posted:

The Great Eagles are an ancient race, soaring above the world aloof of mortal struggles. They are intelligent and good, and align themselves with the races that best can use their talents and preserve what they judge to be the best in the world. For many centuries they aided Halflings and consider them to be the best friends. They will also come to the aid of wizards, but choose to serve only those who adhere to good principles.
What I need more than anything else right now is more information about what I am facing. To that goal I shape the form of one of the fabled Great Eagles, which I expect to encounter in these lands in the future, and command it to bring me word of the surrounding lands.

No sooner does it leave my vision does it happen upon a new foe, the Frostlings in the northern reaches. It does not surprise me that these creatures are allied with the halflings, they are quite similar in some ways, though the Goblins call them 'Frozen Treats'.

As Gorthak moves across the long bridges leading to the United Cities I take my own men to subjugate an Elven town that he spotted on the way. What little defenses they have fall before my magical prowess and Goblin darts.

I decide to keep the usual Goblin swarm that follows my forces at bay, instead sending an invitation to an Orc tribe in the mountains to claim this town as theirs

Gorthak and his riders happen upon a poorly defended Halfling town just to the north of their capital. The defenders of it become a late afternoon snack for the wolves.

Another messenger bat brings word to me that the Orcs to the south are dealing with a counter-assault by the Halflings. I cannot rely upon them for assistance right now, but I suspect that the little fools have devoted too much of their attention to the Orcs to properly defend against me.

Dwarf Berserker[/quote posted:

The Dwarven Berserker does not rely on any sort of formal training to defeat his adversaries so much as he does on sheer rage and strength. Berserkers disdain armor, as it only inhibits their mobility when plowing through the ranks of their enemies. They thrive on combat, and even on being outnumbered (which, to them, means more fighting). Dwarves do not look upon Berserkers as war-crazed deviants, rather they are honored as the bravest warriors among other Dwarves.
Like other Dwarves, they are resistant to magical and other effects. Berserkers are seldom impeded by the weakening effects of poisons.

Satyr posted:

The Satyr is a magical woodland humanoid with the pointed ears, short horns and legs of a goat. These benign beings dwell in the forests and serve as protectors of other natural wildlife. They are able to move unhindered through even the densest of forests. With the music of their flutes, Satyrs can charm common animals and humanoids alike.
In peace times, the Halflings and Satyrs swap stories and share a strong love of folk music. In times of war, Satyrs will align themselves with Halflings, or beings of good to neutral alignment willing to preserve their forestlands.
Among the Halfling forces are Satyrs and Dwarves, a grand ensemble of little annoyances that will definitely tie the Orcs down for a while, but I do not see them being victorious.

I leave the rest of my Goblins behind to chase out or kill the rest of the Elves in the town. To the south I ride, seeking to join up with Gorthak so that we may crush the poorly defended Halflings. While I camp overnight I prepare for the battles ahead, focusing on preparing the crystallized mana that I will need for casting.

As I suspected, my magical Eagles encountered a Halfling one attempting to wrest control of an air node from me. I can always craft more of those great scouts, but they served their job, defeating the rider and retaining the node. The two surviving birds were commanded to continue their exploration, one heading further to the north to investigate the Frostling Lands, the other more to the east where I have heard of the Halfling farms just ripe for the plundering.

It did not take long for the one Eagle to find Lord Thakor, the leader of the Frostlings in this land. Through it, I learned of the forces at his disposal.

Dire Penguin posted:

Dire penguins swarm over their prey and devour them to the bone. A single penguin is not a great threat to a skilled warrior, but a pack of them can make even the bravest warriors' blood run cold with fear. Bred to be more ferocious than your average giant penguin, Dire Penguins battle for their Frostling friends. Though awkward on land, they are quick swimmers and can give Frostlings forces a great tactical advantage.

Frostling Swordsman posted:

The common Frostling infantryman fights with a short sword. Though bundled in furs and leather, their armor is only considered light. Like all of their race, Frostling warriors have an innate resistance to extreme cold and are somewhat limited in movement because of their diminutive size.

Frostling Shaman posted:

In Frostling society, the Frostfolk turn to their Shamans to discern the weather and interpret the lights in the sky. While Frostling Shamans are sometimes able to work miracles, their powers are not without limit.
Frostling Shamans whisper to the powers of the winds and cold. They are completely immune to the effects of cold and possess the power to shoot bolts of frost and ice, or strike freezing mysticism in melee. Frostling Shamans heal the wounded, dispel magical enchanments and turn undead creatures.

Frostling Wolf Rider posted:

Frostlings have no cavalry forces, but have compensated for that with the Wolf Riders. Wolves are not able to travel as far in a day as horses, but they are better suited to the frigid climate in which the Frostlings live. Frostling wolves are fiercely loyal to their masters. Wolf Riders wield jagged swords with more skill than infantry.

That they have wolf cavalry as well was of interesting note, but overall I did not see anything that I would consider to be really threatening.

When we came within view of the capital city, I learned of the leader of the halflings, Merwe. A bard of sorts, Merwe was known for healing talents, musical skills, and some magical ability.

Gorthak and his riders moved out before me, swooping down upon one of the outlying towns around the capital city. Upon Gorthak himself I threaded an enchantment of speed, making the wolf that he rode upon the fastest alive.

His weapon, already touched with dark energies, was further enhanced with my skills, making it a very deadly thing.

Another magical node was spotted by us as we overran the last of the defenders, a Life Node that would be of rather limited use to me.

Not wanting to surrender our initiative I had the regular goblins that had just left the now-Orc city to the north head down and help usher in their fellows into the former Halfling cities. Meanwhile Gorthak and I, along with his riders, would assault the Halfling Capital city.

In a manner that seemed almost second nature now I sent forth lightning into the Halfling defenders, crippling them and slowing their attempts to relocate against us. Until now I had only seen hints of what Gorthak was capable of, but now I finally could see him in action, and what a sight it was.

While the rest of the pack tore apart any foolish Halfling that left the city gates, Gorthak and his enhanced mount leapt over the walls and set upon the defenders remaining within. A few tried to stand before him, but they were hapless against his wicked blade.

By the end of it, Gorthak had more than a few wounds upon his person, but he bore in his left hand the head of Merwe, eternal pain and torment etched upon the dead Halfling's features.

With the defeat of their leader and the fall of their Capital the Halflings were thrown into disarray. All that was left was mopping them up.

Lyra itself I marked for the Orcish tribes. What better to look over the Goblins in the surrounding lands than their Orc masters? I had great plans in mind that would require a strong Orc presence.

As soon as Lyra fell my attention fell upon the cowardly creatures that had fled before my advancing forces, retreating along the western bridge. Constricted as they were, they were easy prey for the wolves.

Forgoing my lightning for now, I instead called upon a virulent plague to fall upon them, filling their bodies with disease and eating away at their flesh.

The riders and Gorthak assaulted them afterwards, giving the creatures the only relief they would find from that magical disease. What resistance they provided was token at best, though one of those wrecked little slingers of theirs did hit me with a bullet.

It is interesting to watch the struggle for dominance among the riders. None would dare challenge Gorthak, of course, but there was a definite order among the rest of them, with the newest members of the pack serving as a screen for the others, the most deadly of them all at the vanguard for any assault.

Gorthak himself seemed even more confident after those two battles, everything about him was just that much more precise and deadly.

I learned of the presence of an old ruins to the south, some fallen and forgotten stronghold from times past. Who knows what spoils may still lie within it.

A nearby Wizard Cover, neutral as ever in all things, taught me how to use a new spell, something outside of my normal mastery.

Being unfamiliar with their services I paid a visit to the nearby Builders Guild. They sold many a strange mechanical contraption, such as flame-spewing vessels and geared drilling machines. They also provided, for a fee of course, the necessary supplies that one would need to construct a tower post or even start the reconstruction of any location destroyed by war.

Word came to me that the Orcs had finally finished removing the Halfling infestation from Lyra. Pleased with this news I instructed them to create great training grounds, so that the best of their kind may enter into my service.

One of my scouting Eagles told me of the Elven lands to the west, as well as the presence of a great cave leading underground. I suspected that this would provide a link to the Halfling islands just to the south of me, so I directed Gorthak to head in that direction.

The Goblin hordes I left behind continued upon their task of removing what few Halflings remained behind.

Once more into the caves we went, but of these I knew very little. Gorthak said that there was a trail leading on, so we set on after it.

The path twisted about, I could only hope that it led to where I thought it would.

We found a Dwarven city in the caves, not an unusual thing by any means, but it was protected by Elven forces, a rather surprising thing. But that also let me know that my suspicions were likely correct.

As we approached the Dwarven village, I finally found true mastery of the magical arts. My talents with them have reached a pinnacle, no other can claim to be more skilled than I.

With my increased awareness of all things magical, including my summoned Eagles, I learned that the one above me was quite busy in the Elven lands, terrorizing the poorly protected little hamlets and villages, preventing them from acting against us.

With the new day came our assault upon the Dwarven Settlement, the elven defenders proving to be incapable of fighting in these tight quarters. They were barely a threat to my pack.

Gorthak's original pack was a sight to behold now, a true force of terror upon the battlefield. The two other riders that had survived this far were struggling to keep up, both riders and wolves showing signs of dominance upon them. It is how they learn.

Gorthak himself had picked up a new trick, the enhancement of his mount allowing for the two of them do deliver a series of rapid strikes to any that would dare to try and surround them.

I felt a surge of energy rush back into me as the Eagle that was above us was felled by an Elven arrow. But with that rush came the last things that it saw, which brought great promise.

Doom Bat posted:

The Doom Bat is a particularly odious form of giant bat. They feed upon savagery and are adept at hiding in underground caverns. Their horrible shriek induces fear and panic in those who hear it. Doom Bats strike their prey with a deadly venomous bite.
Some beings have been able to capitalize on these creatures' slight degree of intelligence and train them to fight in combat. Orc Shamans use them as spies and messengers, and it is thought they are possessed by the most honored Orc dead, given one last chance to wreak havoc before they retire from the world.
Their ability to fly and navigate in the dark makes the Doom Bat an excellent scout.
Elsewhere my Orcish minions had just finished capturing and training a Doom Bat for our use. I was interested to see what such a creature could do.

End Part One

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 29, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The United Cities, Part 2

As we surface I learn more of the leader of the Elves in this land, a mage by the name of Esalon. His talent with the magical arts is not insignificant, but it pales in comparison to what I have at my command.

Further to the south my surviving eagle finds a Goblin village, which quickly joins my forces.

To deal with the Elves and their leader I rely upon a pathetic weakness of their kind. I know that I can lure them from their city by ambushing one of the nearby patrols.

True to form they fall for my trap, leaving the relative safety of the walls to try and save their brethren. Brethren that will be dead long before their would-be saviors might arrive.

I finally see Gorthak show off his new maneuver, a pair of Elven warriors falling in unison to his sweeping blade.

The tardy saviors are greeted by my magic, lightning arching between them as punishment for their failures. Not just to save their fellows but as for daring to oppose the truth of the Cult.

Esalon himself met his end from my newest spell, the water from the ground drawn up beneath him, throwing his second-rate magical self up into the sky. The ground was not very welcoming of him.

And with his fall two of the three forces that oppose us here have been defeated.

Orc Warlord posted:

Orc warlords are usually of an elite class of Orcs. These Orcs are typically stronger than otehrs and are trained from childhood in the art of war and hand to hand combat. If Orcs were not so inherently lazy, it has been suggested that perhaps all Orcs could be as powerful as the Warlord. Thankfully for the world's sake, Orcs show no sign of becoming motivated anytime soon.
Once deemed ready for battle by their masters, Warlords are given a heavy suit of armor and sent to decimate the enemy's ranks. With their huge two-handed swords, they can take on any opponent in a melee and execute a number of maneuvers to defeat their foes. Even when severely outnumbered, Orc warlords can execute the round attack, swinging their great blade in a wide arc in an attempt to cut down many opponents in a single swing.
And yet that is not the best of what the day has to offer me. I am told that my plans for Lyra are now complete as some of the phenomenal Orc Warlords are now starting to enter into my service. With those Juggernauts of Orcish might under my command, noone will stand against me.

Although the Elves, like the Halflings before them, are now leaderless they are still annoyingly present in these lands. This is something that Gorthak and his riders are quite happy to deal with.

And with the death of the last of those that would cause us trouble in this area, I find my companions for this quest quite intimidating indeed. Not for me, of course, but rather for anyone foolish enough to oppose us.

I am also told that Goblins in the undergound have happened upon the remains of a Dwarven mining expedition. They had apparently struck a nice vein of gold ore, but were killed by a cave-in before they could do anything about it.

Before we head off to deal with the Frostlings I decide that it's time to explore some of the ruins and caves in the nearby lands. With how much fighting these lands have seen in the past, there must be something of value left behind.

Scorpion posted:

Perhaps the strangest animal employed by the Azracs are the giant scorpions. Not nearly as venomous as some smaller scorpions, they still may sting their opponents with a nasty noxin. Their hard exoskeletons and huge gnashing pincers make them quite dangerous.

In one of the caves we find a large nest of scorpions. A rather unpleasant thing to deal with, but it was not without reward.

Among their bodies Gorthak finds a magical blade, a nice little enhancement to his already formidable skills.

After leaving the cave we head east, traveling towards the castle ruins that was spotted so long ago. While we march I receive notification that my plan has been set into motion as a great Orc War Troop is heading south to deal with a few stragglers by my allies. The lands there are blasted and cursed due to the use of a great magical weapon in the past.

The castle ruins are quite vast, requiring me to split my forces.

We find that the inhabitants of the castle are Orcs, but they are a very territorial group and refuse to recognize our dominance over the lands.

After dispatching one of their archers, Gorthak notices that his helmet is very unusual and claims it for himself.

In the last chamber one of their Cavalry charges me out of the darkness. I am barely able to defend myself from its vicious attack. Fueled by rage, I slam my assailant into the ceiling with a geyser of force, his body still as it lands back upon the floor.

Among the fallen Orcs Gorthak finds a magical axe, quite similar to the one that I carry. He finds it much more to his liking than the sword that he claimed from the scorpions. It smells (slightly) better too.

To the east the Warlords fall upon the remnants of the Halfling forces.

The great juggernauts traveling forth and tearing apart any that would oppose them with their great blades

Few survive to even try and attack those engines of destruction, and of those that do, most cannot even hope to pierce their fantastic armor.

My pack heads to the west, a bit of a detour, yes, but we had received word of a final Elven town that was near a prison. In that prison was said to be a being of great power, constrained by my weak cousins. Their town was quickly overrun and claimed for my dominance, while in the prison we did indeed find something great and powerful.

(Not shown: Vision II)

Demon posted:

Tormentors of souls and servants of hell, Demons are found in the land of the living only in times of great destruction, when worlds teeter on the brink of destruction. Though formidable in combat, Demons are known to be cowardly and prefer to command weaker undead units. Sneaky and conniving, they seek to steal the souls of the living, or entrap them in impossible "bargains." Their touch burns. They regenerate quickly, drawing strength from the many deaths in the living world.
Demons are most often found fighting among the hordes of undead, but are also sometimes employed by other evil races, or conjured by wizards seeking costly favors.
It smiled to me as I broke the last of the magical bindings that kept it shackled. From its lips it claimed that it was waiting for me and was here to offer its services to help finish off my foes in this land. The weak of this land needed to be punished, after all, their blight had to be scoured from the world.

I knew that my detour would take time to correct, but rather than waste it traveling over the sparse plains to the east, I decided to focus upon mastery of one of the greater spells in my book, that of directed teleportation. For two days I focused on learning it, the Demon being of great help to me in unraveling the secret of its mastery.

The finally I was finished. With a single casting I and everyone around me was transported to a city many days away, right were the Orc War Troop was gathered.

They were traveling south, mopping up the last of the scattered Halfling remnants, while I moved north with my riders, seeking first to claim that ancient weapon that blasted so much of the land here.

A great and powerful device, it was unfortunately far too large to be moved, at least in any sort of reasonable time.

My surviving Eagle was moving north, scouting out the Frostling Lands. Though their leader opposed us, the Frostlings themselves were at worst apathetic to my cause. A couple of their towns even switched to my side as the Eagle approached them, my words communicated through it to them via the magical link.

I traveled past the dungeon that was initial spotted by my allies, leaving it instead for the Orc troop.

Human Archer posted:

Comparitively, human archers are relatively average. With practice and experience, they may increase their proficiency with the bow, but, at best, they highest compliment given to a human archer is, "He has elven blood."

Human Pikeman posted:

Pikemen, in general, tend to be a tad more intelligent than the average human footsoldier. Not as eager to die in battle, they adhere to the combat principle, "Stab your opponent before he can stab you." The long pikes they hold permit them the ability of retaliation before the enemy can draw a shorter weapon and strike.

Human Musketeer posted:

While Dwarves far excel humans in feats of sophisticated invention, they do not possess the raw brutality to create inventions of mass destruction. Humans, by contrast, excel at it.
Musketeers wield the devastating human invention, the musket. These handheld cannons, while not very accurate, are powerful enough to pierce even a Dragon's scaly hide with their heavy metal shots. Musketeers are not masters of hand-to-hand combat, instead trusting in their ability to reload quickly.
Had I known that the garrison for the dungeon were Humans I would have dealt with it myself. My first time to slay one of those invaders would sadly have to wait still.

Salamander posted:

Lizardmen are creatures of water, so much so that they fear and despise fire. But once in a generation from a clutch of lizardman eggs, a creature of fire, known as a Salamader, is born into the world. Burning bright with golden scales it is seen as an ill omen. Often shunned by other Lizardmen the creature is not one of water, but of fire. Whether a freak of nature or an otherworldy creature mimicking the feral Lizardmen, Salamanders are naturally gifted at combat and delight in igniting things aflame. Their incendiary nature makes them outcasts, and as such, they will ally with other neutral beings, but for some inexplicable reason, they remain fiercely loyal to the Lizardmen and will fight for them, when given the chance.

Djinn posted:

The Djinn are thought to be related to Air Elementals. However, these beings take on a more human countenance and seem more magically adept. Though not particularly strong, Djinn are skilled in combat. They are able to fly and can strike with pure magical energy.
The Djinn are loyal to the Azrac and have at times influenced their social codes and laws. They are revered in Azrac society and sought at times for gifts of wisdom.
Bards sing of the Djinn, portraying them as clever beings which offer luxurious gifts to the greedy. Invariably the gifts turn out to cause the greedy wisher's destruction. Despite all the tales, treasure hunters still seek the Djinn, thinking they can provide, or hoping for a point in the direction of, untold wealth. The result tends to be a parched skeleton swallowed in the golden desert sands.
Even more unusual were the prisoners contained within the Dungeon. A lizardman that seemed to have scales of flame and a magical being known as a Djinn. I know not where they came from or how they ended up in the Dungeon, but they were quite agreeable to joining my forces.

We encountered a large patrol of Frostlings as we entered into their frozen lands. The Demon was quite eager to bring his flaming whip upon their little bodies and I made sure that they were trembling and helpless for him to strike. The little things did burst into flames so nicely when he struck them.

Red Dragon posted:

Of all Dragonkind the Red Dragon is the most devious. Unquestionably powerful among dragons, and a thing of Legend, Red Dragons live to pour chaos upon the world. Orcs regard the Red Dragon as a god. They build entire cities around their lair, which amused the dragon and provides no end of free entertainment. Red Dragons are notoriously greedy and demand absurd tributes for their services.
At diverse times, when it suits their fancy, Red Dragons will fly out and burn down the countryside with its searing breath. Such attacks are usually accompanied by a mob of adoring Orcs which take the Dragon's movements as an Omen that the time to conquer has arrived.
Word reached me that a Red Dragon had settled into Lyra at the center of the Orc city, claiming the former Halfling Palace as its nest. I do not know what it is up to, but apparently the great wyrm left shortly afterwards and was seen attacking the merchant ships that are still sailing in the waters of the land.

Scouts also informed me that there was apparently a monster den not too far from where we first arrived here. A quick expedition went into it but found only a few bats and a simple magical mace inside.

Karagh posted:

[i]Karagh are powerful beasts that rampage through the depths of the underground, terrorizing the inhabitants. They run screaming through twisting subterranean passageways, waving great iron blades as though unquenchably angry. The Karagh have no known society, and it is unknown as to whether they are intelligent, for no one has figured out how to get them to remain still long enough to attempt communication. These creatures are sometimes caged and unleashed by Goblins in times of war upon the battlefield.
Karagh are extremely agile for their size and move swiftly through underground passages. They are strong combatants. The mere sight of a Karagh causes fear in all but the most brave beings.
The Goblins that had laid claim to the former Elven lands informed me that they had managed to catch a Karagh inside the caves during their exploration of it. Somehow they had not only managed to subdue the thing, but their shamans have enthralled it into believing that we are its friends. A brief expenditure of magical energy has brought it to join my forces for the final assault on the Frostlings.

(Note: About half of the pictures I tried to take of this fight never showed up)
I was joined by the Orc War Troop as I laid siege to the city and the Red Dragon even showed up for the fight. Both it and the Demon swooped over the defenders, picking them apart without a care for whatever arrow might be loosed in their direction. The Warlords assaulted the northern section of the walls, while the Karagh set itself before the southern gates, grabbing any Frostling that was foolish enough to come out and swallowing it whole.

I do not even remember when the Frostling Lord fell, when we found his body it had been hacked apart by many a blade.

I see before me two options, one involving the Orcs, a known force and a capable one at that;

The other involving the strange Lizardmen. I know very little of them, as do most others, but the Salamander that I rescued told me that they might be willing to assist me. They have no love for the Humans right now, nor the Keepers.

Meandor would not like it at first if I sought to bring the Lizardmen to our side, but is it not better to have them at our side than against it?

It's that time again. We have two votes ahead of us this time, the first being where do we go from here?

Do we go to the marshlands and engage in a Pact of Convenience with the Lizardmen
-or-
Do we head to the Orc lands and put an end to their Civil Squalor?

---------------------------

Wherever we go, we have to decide what we're taking with us.

525 points are available this time, but Gorthak the Black now costs us a whopping 212 points, but oh is he worth it!

Beyond that we have:

2 Magical Helms (+1 Defense), 40 points each
2 Magical Axes (+1 Damage, Magic Strike), 85 points each
1 Magical Sword (+1 Attack, Magic Strike), 85 points
1 Magical Mace (+1 Attack, Magic Strike), 90 points (I have no idea why)

4 Orc Warlords, all Veteran Level, at 105 points each
1 Demon, at Elite level, 105 points
2 Goblin Wolf Riders, at Elite Level, 28 points each
2 Orc Shamans, some experience, at 30 points each
1 Goblin Shaman, some experience, 26 points

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 28, 2013

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
If we take weapons, I'd go for the axes over the swords, +1 dam is 10 points when you level, +1 att only 5. The axe is the better deal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Orcs.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Lizardmen can swim, time to broaden our horizons.

212 Gortak
26 Goblin Shaman
28 Wolf Rider
28 Wolf rider

85 Axe
40 Helm

105 Demon
Total 524

Servetus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 28, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Lizardmen and where you end up with them is super fun, so I'm going to have to vote for them.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Gotta go with ORCS! :orks:

The magical items aren't really worth writing home about. Bring more troops:

Gorthak the Black - 212
Demon - 105
Wolf Riders (2) - 56
Orc Warlord (1) - 105
Orc Shaman (1) - 30

Total 508 of 525

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 29, 2013

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Keep the same equipment and followers as before if possible.

Also, we've already been working with the greenskin goblins so far, let's just keep it up. Help the orcs!

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

It's a little early, but I'm shooting for the Orcs too. And it has nothing to do with the fact I recently watched the new Hobbit movie and fell in love with Azoc the Defiler.

But seriously, Orc supremacy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Lets go with Lizardmen. We can take the other route on the Keepers Campaign. And who doesn't want to unleash Frog Cavalry and Frog Ballistas on their foes?

Take Gorthak, 2 Helmets, 2 Axes, and the 2 Wolf Riders.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 28, 2013

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

This is the best. Also go to Orcs mission. While it is certainly true, that you can swim with Lizardmen, I always found the orcs missions both more enjoyable and I preferred the units you get with the orcs. I mean where can you go wrong with three dragon armies?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Unfortunately the units that it makes available to you to carry over to the next mission are based upon two considerations:

#1) Does that unit have any XP?
#2) What's its overall cost?

Only units that have XP are available, the Goblin Shaman in our list is actually the same one that we brought into this scenario.

After that it grabs the units with the highest overall cost. The Orc Warlords are at the top of this list at 105 gold each, as well as the Demon. There's no modifier for experience level. After that we have the Orc Shamans at 30 points and the Goblin Wolf Riders at 28. Sadly only two of our 5 elite riders are available anymore. A bit of a downer really.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
1 Sneaky Bastard :human being: - 212 points
2 Goblin Wolf Riders :black101::black101: - 56 points
1 Magical Helm :mil101: - 40 points
1 Demon :devil: - 105 points
1 Gold :retrogames: - 1 point

Complaints :commissar: - denied

You'll probably notice the distinct lack of Orcs in this list. gently caress 'em, let's chum up with Lizards :feelsgood:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I have a question/small request; are you able to zoom in closer to the units during the battle phases? It's kind of hard to see who you're referring to sometimes. Other than that, I am loving this LP so far :allears:

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

my dad posted:

1 Sneaky Bastard - 212 points
2 Goblin Wolf Riders - 56 points
1 Goblin Shaman - 26 points
1 Magical Axe - 85 points
1 Magical Helm - 40 points
1 Demon - 105 points
1 Gold - 1 point

You'll probably notice the distinct lack of Orcs in this list. gently caress 'em, let's chum up with Lizards

Yeah, as cool as Orc Warlords are, turtle-mounted siege weapons are at least three times as cool. Gotta go with this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Those voting for lizardmen/orcs should know (if they don't already) that this is a very important decision that will shape the campaign path and may cut us off an ending!

More specifically:
We will have the option to change allegiance. Lizardmen are neutral, orcs are evil. Going orcs will probably prevent us from going for the good path, by going lizardmen we keep the options open.

As for non-spoilery arguments, orcs are interesting (I never went orcs at this stage before) and dragons are awesome, but the lizard part of the campaign is very interesting, fun, and come on, if you don't like turtle-mounted catapults and heroes on giant frogs then you can :frogout:

I'll abstain for now. Either option is interesting, and if you go lizards, what's another AoW playthrough? :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 29, 2013

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Orcs, Axes, Warlords :black101:

The only thing I'd say about the Lizard run is that it's like 50% more bearable if you go with a Lizard Wizard from go.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Not gonna vote on the stuff ('cept for Sneaky), but im defo voting on the lizards!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Go with the Lizards, but to keep from offending them you should bring no orcs with you.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm gonna go with Lizardmen. Not gonna vote on stuff to bring other than both goblinriders and our Gob hero

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Digital Jello posted:

I have a question/small request; are you able to zoom in closer to the units during the battle phases? It's kind of hard to see who you're referring to sometimes. Other than that, I am loving this LP so far :allears:

Unfortunately I don't think there is a zoom option until AoW 2.

Edit: Updated the first part with one of the songs from the scenario.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 29, 2013

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Bring Gortak and his pack, and ally with the Lizardmen.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bring some loot, the axes and hats will do. Bring the Demon and go help out the Lizards!

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Campaign Direction Tally

:orks: (Orcs) 5: Cythereal, Snugglecakes, Basarin, Digital Jello, Crowsbeak the JJ

:feelsgood: (Lizardmen) 10: Servetus, RZApublican, KnoxZone, my dad, ArkInBlack, Shadowmorn,
Mzbundifund, Lynneth, AJ_Impy, Demiurge4

:v: (abstains) 1: Pierzak

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Awks

I do like the Lizardmen but I prefer them when there's a Water mage in charge. Plus I always do them in my runs, I barely even remember the orcs.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Voting we cut a path with our orc buddies. Not voting on equipment or troops though.

(besides, will you be playing the lizard neutral / good campaign for the cult someone mentioned above, later? )

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

After doing some small e-research on both paths, this is actually kind of a tough choice. I'm sticking with my "orcs" decision, but I can't deny the lizards would be just as neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's time to count so that I can play the next scenario!

The Next Mission will be Lizards! (But only just barely)

Our Forces will be:

Mr Sneaky Bastard of course

Wolf Rider 8
Wolf Rider 8
Axe 7
Demon 5
Helmet 5
Axe 4
Goblin Shaman 4
Helmet 3
Warlord 3
Orc Shaman 1

The votes may be a bit off for this as not everyone bolded their selections (or were kinda vague)

Edit: Okay... Two things:

1) The Demon auto-deserts at the beginning of the map, so we're not taking him.
2) We now have access to two more sphere choices. Right now we are: Death, Air, Air. We can choose 2 more from Air, Death, Water, or Fire (But not Water and Fire)

I completely forgot about this, so that'll push the turn back until tomorrow. Voting is now open for the two additional spheres only.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 30, 2013

• Locked thread