Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ra-amun posted:

Yep, it's a wasteland thing. It was even worse when goons were saying that you had to drop the gun on the ground first. Scrambling around to find where the gun dropped and finding the right pixel to bring it up on the action menu was a huge hassle.

To my knowledge, you never had to drop it on the ground and exit the gear menu, and then go pixel hunting, though. Just dragging it to the ground tab and then from there to your inventory is enough. :unsmith:
This loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profan
Mar 22, 2013

wargames posted:

Why not just use the TS3 that the Arma 2 goons are using? Also why do you have a 256 slot and not a 512?

Got two separate virtual machines on the one license right now, so making one of them 256 seemed better than like 384.

No problem if you already have one though :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Profan posted:

Got two separate virtual machines on the one license right now, so making one of them 256 seemed better than like 384.

No problem if you already have one though :v:

Don't want to fracture what little community we have for arma.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Alright well if someone (not Raneman, sorry dude) who's willing to do the barebones admin work around getting radiomod wanting goons set up with Acre and such wants to go do so and make a PGS thread, go hog wild. I'll link your thread prominently in the OP alongside the general Vanilla A3 goon group.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Alright well if someone (not Raneman, sorry dude) who's willing to do the barebones admin work around getting radiomod wanting goons set up with Acre and such wants to go do so and make a PGS thread, go hog wild. I'll link your thread prominently in the OP alongside the general Vanilla A3 goon group.

Just them to this for now. http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/17724-arma-3-servers-now-with-acre/page__fromsearch__1

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
We seem to spend a lot of time with people to play but no missions, so I suggest everyone capable of hosting go out and grab http://www.moddb.com/mods/urban-conquest . It's a good general gently caress-around territory control missoin set which can be played as coop or pvp, lets you select classes on respawn, and has a bunch of other random cool features. Makes for good gameplay whether you've got two people or twenty, whether you're in the mood for urban CQC or vehicle battles at standoff range.

wargames posted:

Don't want to fracture what little community we have for arma.
Unless it's for spergy mods, then fracture away!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ it isn't even out of alpha and I have to gently caress with that six updater poo poo again?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Jesus christ it isn't even out of alpha and I have to gently caress with that six updater poo poo again?

You have to press a button.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm a regular george jetson.

StevieWonder
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone else notice vehicles being a lot weaker since the patch?

I'm hitting fences and bushes and knocking my engines out, whereas before they were no problem.

Didn't know a bush would take out an Ifrit.

Maybe it's just me... but I don't remember this.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

StevieWonder posted:

Anyone else notice vehicles being a lot weaker since the patch?

I'm hitting fences and bushes and knocking my engines out, whereas before they were no problem.

Didn't know a bush would take out an Ifrit.

Maybe it's just me... but I don't remember this.

Bushes have been notably antagonistic toward Iranians since at least '89.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

No you won't have to. If goons want radiomod, they most certainly can make a pgs thread for it if they want to handle making a group for it and taking care of people who have questions about the install process with play withsix (hint: its loving awful right now in the beta, which is required for the custom repo if such a group was to go that way.)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress they need to give the AI an accuracy patch. The COOP missions are fun but its impossible because as soon as you do anything you get sniped by iranian eagle eyes 1.5km away.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ra-amun posted:

Yep, it's a wasteland thing. It was even worse when goons were saying that you had to drop the gun on the ground first. Scrambling around to find where the gun dropped and finding the right pixel to bring it up on the action menu was a huge hassle.

Yeah it was the ground tab not the actual ground but even so "welcome to arma".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ralith posted:

We seem to spend a lot of time with people to play but no missions, so I suggest everyone capable of hosting go out and grab http://www.moddb.com/mods/urban-conquest . It's a good general gently caress-around territory control missoin set which can be played as coop or pvp, lets you select classes on respawn, and has a bunch of other random cool features. Makes for good gameplay whether you've got two people or twenty, whether you're in the mood for urban CQC or vehicle battles at standoff range.

Here's a pair of king of the hill TVT missions I cooked up. Both are small areas and playable anywhere from 4 to 20 players. So far the goons I've played them with seem to like them.

Operations Blind Bat & Hungry Hippo

Profan
Mar 22, 2013

Mederlock posted:

No you won't have to. If goons want radiomod, they most certainly can make a pgs thread for it if they want to handle making a group for it and taking care of people who have questions about the install process with play withsix (hint: its loving awful right now in the beta, which is required for the custom repo if such a group was to go that way.)

http://www.armarize.com/ is quite nice if you aren't going about with custom repos.

It uses the six network to get the addons with rsync, you can easily make profiles and set up parameters as well, it's basically a less cluttered six.

However, it doesn't have any custom repo functionality yet.

Profan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 27, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If any of you make missions, try not having sights with magnification at all for players. Every single mission I've played without magnification has been a ton of fun. Especially in PvP. With them, people just go off thinking they are a sniper god (as people always do). Pretty much all pvp missions that have magnification sights suck rear end. Especially Wasteland. All people do is go and find a "sniper rifle" and lay in a bush shooting at people.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

If any of you make missions, try not having sights with magnification at all for players. Every single mission I've played without magnification has been a ton of fun. Especially in PvP. With them, people just go off thinking they are a sniper god (as people always do). Pretty much all pvp missions that have magnification sights suck rear end. Especially Wasteland. All people do is go and find a "sniper rifle" and lay in a bush shooting at people.

Agreed to the nth degree. Magnified scopes are awful.

Profan
Mar 22, 2013

MrOnBicycle posted:

Agreed, it really does add to the entire group being useful instead of a single player picking off 15 people.

Magnification just ruins things in ARMA, at least in missions where you need to actually cooperate with people :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Every mission needs snipers. As long they're in limited numbers. Don't ruin my fun. :v:

Hell, as long you have a decent rifle, that dumb red dot sight is enough. I sniped enough people as Saboteur in Blitzkrieg.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Will there be an "Idiot's Guide To Installing ACRE" post at some point or is it unnecessary? The best multiplayer is goon multiplayer. I don't wanna be left out. :(

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Sylink posted:

gently caress they need to give the AI an accuracy patch. The COOP missions are fun but its impossible because as soon as you do anything you get sniped by iranian eagle eyes 1.5km away.

A problem dating all the way back to OFP. You kind of learn to live with it, or find decent mods that mellow it a little. Accuracy is one side of the problem, spotting is another.

One of the things that still bugs me with Arma 2/3 is that the maps have got very detailed and visually cluttered, but the AI's LOS model is still very frustrating. They can be apparently blind at times, however mostly they will gain LOS on units a human player simply cannot see. Through forests (frequently!), past bushes and in grass.

On Chernarus (with all the foliage) some missions were very, very difficult because you cannot out-spot the bad guys.

For the single player game it is one the few areas Arma 1/OFP still hold an edge - the graphics are simpler and have greater contrast, everything shoots tracer and spotting is much easier.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
If anyone talented is feeling ambitious, Ashwin and I would love an air assault mission with lots of helicopters.

karphead
Apr 20, 2001

Sulman posted:

On Chernarus (with all the foliage) some missions were very, very difficult because you cannot out-spot the bad guys.

it's funny because your instinct is to use cover when assaulting but it turns out be to your disadvantage, especially when the AI is spazzing out and moving non-stop. it's actually a lot easier to assault from a clearing.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Funkysauce posted:

Will there be an "Idiot's Guide To Installing ACRE" post at some point or is it unnecessary? The best multiplayer is goon multiplayer. I don't wanna be left out. :(

This is why the ACRE spergs are being relegated to a PGS thread. Things are staying nice and straightforward here, no worries.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sulman posted:

A problem dating all the way back to OFP. You kind of learn to live with it, or find decent mods that mellow it a little. Accuracy is one side of the problem, spotting is another.

One of the things that still bugs me with Arma 2/3 is that the maps have got very detailed and visually cluttered, but the AI's LOS model is still very frustrating. They can be apparently blind at times, however mostly they will gain LOS on units a human player simply cannot see. Through forests (frequently!), past bushes and in grass.

For the single player game it is one the few areas Arma 1/OFP still hold an edge - the graphics are simpler and have greater contrast, everything shoots tracer and spotting is much easier.

Maybe the scenario guys just have it cranked up in multiplayer because when I make my own scenarios I don't get auto killed nearly as often unless I stand up and start shooting upwards at the sky

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
One of the ways that Wasteland is hilariously broken is that the small island off the north tip acts as the debug plains where everyone semi-spawns while they're just looking at their spawn menu. You can't swim there but you can fly a chopper there, land, collect money, and be a trolling bastard and shoot people who can't shoot back. It's a cute but quickly boring way to collect tears. Then fly to the gun store and spend your ill-gotten gains. Or more likely, get shot out of your chopper as you try to land.

As far as truly playing the real way - I would completely love to see a server option of "no scopes beyond 1.2X". I think that would make Wasteland, TDM, and the conquest-style mode a lot more fun. I seriously doubt I'll ever see even one server that runs that way, though. Too bad.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Actually, just last week I was playing on a Marina TDM server where the only gun optics available were the basic red dot sight. If you wanted to scout an area you had to use your binoculars.

Edit:
It also had team identifiers turned off, so you had to actually visually confirm if a guy was on your team or not. At least a third of my deaths were from being shot by my own teammates. But that also made running around in your underwear a surprisingly effective "stealth" strategy.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 28, 2013

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Wasteland at night is actually hilariously scary. You can't see poo poo and the gun drops are chem lit so its a huge risk running out to them.

Or you come across some burning vehicle in the distance.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Just played a 2v2 round of Operation Blind Bat, Rent's nighttime king of the hill map. It's awesome. Everyone just has ironsights, flashlights, and a single grenade launcher flare. It's a ton of fun. Sneaking up on each other in the dark, weighing using your flashlight to orient yourself versus remaining stealthy, hunting silhouettes, footsteps, and muzzle flashes. I can't wait to play it with more people. Let's see if we can get a big group together on Saturday to put it through its paces properly.

4PM EDT / 1PM PDT Edit: 6PM EDT / 3PM PDT work for people?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 28, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Ralith posted:

Just played a 2v2 round of Operation Blind Bat, Rent's nighttime king of the hill map. It's awesome. Everyone just has ironsights, flashlights, and a single grenade launcher flare. It's a ton of fun. Sneaking up on each other in the dark, weighing using your flashlight to orient yourself versus remaining stealthy, hunting silhouettes, footsteps, and muzzle flashes. I can't wait to play it with more people. Let's see if we can get a big group together on Saturday to put it through its paces properly.

4PM EDT / 1PM PDT work for people?
This is the exact sort of thing I'd like to get in to. Is being in Australia a problem? I'll get up at 6am for it!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

fuckpot posted:

This is the exact sort of thing I'd like to get in to. Is being in Australia a problem? I'll get up at 6am for it!

Worst-case scenario, you make yourself an easier target for the rest of us.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ralith posted:

Adjust that forward a bit and I'll be able to join. Maybe 5?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I've got this new scenario tab but nothing in it. Are there SP missions one can get?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Hellbeard posted:

I've got this new scenario tab but nothing in it. Are there SP missions one can get?

I'm sure there are some on armaholic you can try. Also handy if you're making your own in the editor

e: here http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_scenarios

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Ralith posted:

Oh poo poo, everyone has flashlights? I feel dumb now.

It's hilariously fun to ambush people's vehicles on that map.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

fuckpot posted:

EvilJoven posted:

Adjust that forward a bit and I'll be able to join. Maybe 5?

Sounds like a bit later might work better for everyone. Let's try for 6PM EDT / 3PM PDT instead.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ralith posted:

Sounds like a bit later might work better for everyone. Let's try for 6PM EDT / 3PM PDT instead.
Works for me.

In case I can't be around to host I'll link my two king of the hill maps again.

Blind Bat is nighttime at Kamino. Weapons are basic rifles with iron sights, flashlights and a single 40mm flare for everyone (Green for BLUFOR, red for OPFOR). Pickups and an MH-9 spawn about 100m from each team's spawn point. The capture zone is the Kamino lighthouse.

Hungry Hippo is morning with moderate fog at the Marina Bay Observation Post on the mountain between Stratis Airfield and the Gas Station with an added H-barrier fort on the mountain top. Weapons are basic rifles with iron sights and 2 RGO grenades for everyone. Each team has a bunch of quadbikes to play with at their spawn. The capture zone is anywhere inside the walls of the OP.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
6PM is perfect for me. I'll be able to log in at 5:30 at the latest so we can do some random loving around before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
EDT is basically New York time isn't it?

edit: yes it is