Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm not sure the OS could be made to have access to a game's inner functions. Keep in mind off TV play doesn't work the same way for every game that uses it.

Also if Nintendo have kept their insanely stupid IOS system from the Wii, even if they did add it in a firmware update previously released games wouldn't work with it until they got patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also if Nintendo have kept their insanely stupid IOS system from the Wii, even if they did add it in a firmware update previously released games wouldn't work with it until they got patched.

I can't imagine they did, considering how the home menu (that is, the menu in-game when you press the home button) changed after the day 0 update without any game updates.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The problem is that I can think of theoretical games that use the gamepad tv combo so extensively that it wouldn't work just off tv play. So Nintendo can't mandate off tv option nor should they.

But gently caress developers if your game isn't conplicated put in the 2 second of effort to just mirror the tv on the gamepad and boom offtv play.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I can't imagine they did, considering how the home menu (that is, the menu in-game when you press the home button) changed after the day 0 update without any game updates.

I really hope they didn't, but I just have this inkling in the back of my mind, y'know? Like, I can't trust their software engineers.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmg_CNsQcc

:stare:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
drat, that is a serious improvement. :stare:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Honestly that just further illustrates how unnacceptable they were before(are now). Can't wait for that update. What the gently caress were they doing in software that takes 20-25 seconds, that now they figured out how to do in 5?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Hopefully loading things like the Shop and MiiVerse are just as much improved. Loading MiiVerse takes FOREVER.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

greatn posted:

Honestly that just further illustrates how unnacceptable they were before(are now). Can't wait for that update. What the gently caress were they doing in software that takes 20-25 seconds, that now they figured out how to do in 5?

I actually thought it was 8, which is still absurd, but not unacceptable. It's a step in the right direction though. It really should be under five seconds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Droid Washington posted:

The day I brought my Wii U home was the day my cat decided to chew through the Gamepad AC adapter. I was pissed, considering the day of release Nintendo had like a 3 month ETA on replacements. I ordered one and then taught myself to solder! So now I have a poorly soldered (but working!) adapter, and a new one Nintendo sent me that I'll keep packaged until he decides to chew the original again.

For Christmas, I got my wife a pink 3DS XL. I went to charge it using the ever-plugged-in AC adapter over by my computer, and soon noticed that the charging light turned off sooner than it ought to have. The cat chewed right through the live cord. Luckily in the US it comes with another AC adapter in the box when you get an XL, so we now share that one.

greatn posted:

Probably some weird memory leak since it varied by application and use.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 27, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Need for Speed from Origin came in today. A 30 minute update when first starting it? :smith:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's how video games are these days. Zero day patches, zero day DLC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Akileese posted:

I actually thought it was 8, which is still absurd, but not unacceptable. It's a step in the right direction though. It really should be under five seconds.

He clicks the last button and the pop up window disappears at 0:24, the dumb Wii U splash screen goes away at 0:30 and the options slide down by 31, so six or seven depending on how you want to count it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Need for Speed from Origin came in today. A 30 minute update when first starting it? :smith:.

Not excusing day 1 patches. But if you get this again hit 'no' and go into the game. The patch will dl in the background and you can even check its status from the menu. Play for an hour or so and then at a convenient break for you restart the game and let it update. Unless its patching a gamebreaking bug at the start of the game you should be fine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chronojam posted:

That's how video games are these days. Zero day patches, zero day DLC.

I understand day 1 patches. They turn in the game for golddisking and are not allowed to touch it after that before printing. There's plenty of time there to patch bugs or whatnot by the time its release day.

Day 1 dlc can gently caress off.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nice!

I think they said both the spring and summer updates would see load time improvements, so I'm surprised it's already so drastic.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

greatn posted:

He clicks the last button and the pop up window disappears at 0:24, the dumb Wii U splash screen goes away at 0:30 and the options slide down by 31, so six or seven depending on how you want to count it.

Fair enough then. I have no problem admitting the menu load times are the main reason why I've barely touched my Wii U since I got it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Does anyone know how to move around the icons in the main menu? I'd like to move stuff I'm not going to use much like the Youtube and Hulu thing and the parental controls to the second page.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

Does anyone know how to move around the icons in the main menu? I'd like to move stuff I'm not going to use much like the Youtube and Hulu thing and the parental controls to the second page.

Wiimote: Point, hold B, drag
Gamepad: Press and hold, drag
Pro Controller: Use left stick to bring up cursor, hold B, drag

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

Long press and drag.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Hmmm, guess I wasn't pressing long enough. Thanks!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I wish there were context commands or 'right clicks' it would be nice to delete a demo without menu diving.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is the best looking game on a Nintendo console. Still not used to the handling, but it's fun to just drive around like Burnout Paradise (though there's not as much to do).

Is there really no way of exiting the game other than closing the software from the GamePad and hoping you don't interrupt an auto-save? I guess there's no real main menu, but it feels weird nonetheless.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Just to echo what some other people in the thread have said, I decided to take a day or two off from playing Monster Hunter and tried Lego City. Originally I wasn't going to buy it, I hadn't played a Lego game since one of the star wars compilations and was pretty burnt out at the time... but the target buy 2 get one free deal sucked me in.

I'm having Nintendoland flashbacks where I wasn't expecting much, but am blown away by how good the game is. What is most impressive to me is how detailed the whole city is, there's literally something to do just about everywhere. I'm having a hard time sticking to missions because i'm just running around all over the place unlocking costumes and cars.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

katkillad2 posted:

Just to echo what some other people in the thread have said, I decided to take a day or two off from playing Monster Hunter and tried Lego City. Originally I wasn't going to buy it, I hadn't played a Lego game since one of the star wars compilations and was pretty burnt out at the time... but the target buy 2 get one free deal sucked me in.

I'm having Nintendoland flashbacks where I wasn't expecting much, but am blown away by how good the game is. What is most impressive to me is how detailed the whole city is, there's literally something to do just about everywhere. I'm having a hard time sticking to missions because i'm just running around all over the place unlocking costumes and cars.

I picked them both up from TRU on Sunday and started with Lego because I played Tri a bunch on Wii and knew what I was getting into.

Holy crap, I killed the battery on my gamepad playing LCU which is a first on any Wii U title.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did the first mission, the clown one. When did people start exploring? Right after that? Or should I keep doing story stuff for a while before I start dicking around?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There don't seem to be any physical roadblocks in the world but you can't really do much outside of break things and run around without unlocking abilities in the story mode. I've been sticking to the story myself, unlocking abilities and travel options and then I plan on exploring once I can do everything.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There don't seem to be any physical roadblocks in the world but you can't really do much outside of break things and run around without unlocking abilities in the story mode. I've been sticking to the story myself, unlocking abilities and travel options and then I plan on exploring once I can do everything.

I think there are a few islands and other parts of the city you can't get to that early but yeah, best to wait until you get at least a few outfits.

I don't know if this happens all the time but I saw a spider chasing around a rabbit today. Wherever the rabbit ran to, the spider was right behind. Freaked me out. :stare:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I sent you a friend request in the game through its recommendation thingy (through some other goon I guess), assuming you're "sa_soul_glo" at least. Unfortunately it doesn't let you attach some short message with the requests which is why I'm posting here :effort:. Also I have no clue if it'll friend us through Origin or Miiverse, or both :iiam:

Bombadilillo posted:

Not excusing day 1 patches. But if you get this again hit 'no' and go into the game. The patch will dl in the background and you can even check its status from the menu. Play for an hour or so and then at a convenient break for you restart the game and let it update. Unless its patching a gamebreaking bug at the start of the game you should be fine.
Yeah this is what I did after waiting a bit, just decided to start playing when it appeared to be taking a while. Basically just can't do online stuff until the update, but that was fine to play through the intro and screw around for a while. So far I like it better than Hot Pursuit just cause there's cops in the normal free roaming part of the game, vs HP's free roam mode being deserted. Still getting used to the handling though, semi gotten used to it but still feels a bit weird.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They're cheating a little bit here, though. The latest system update already reduces load times a little but they're using the launch (or some other earlier) version here. For example the "Please wait" screen after returning to the menu no longer occurs. So the shortening may not seem quite so drastic.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anywhere in the wii setting I can adjust my screen size so the edges are not being cut off?
I have no overscan settings on my tv, so it needs to be on the console or in game. Several ps3 games had this option, but I am not seeing it anywhere for Monster Hunter

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Amppelix posted:

They're cheating a little bit here, though. The latest system update already reduces load times a little but they're using the launch (or some other earlier) version here. For example the "Please wait" screen after returning to the menu no longer occurs. So the shortening may not seem quite so drastic.

I have seen the Please Wait screen this week, I believe. Though not every time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

I wish there were context commands or 'right clicks' it would be nice to delete a demo without menu diving.

This, times a million, for the 3DS too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I definitely still get Please Wait screens, didn't even seem to depend on the app, seems completely random.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Soul Glo posted:

I have seen the Please Wait screen this week, I believe. Though not every time.

Yeah same here.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Just 5-starred my save file in NSMBU. Can't wait for the Luigi DLC now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

One thing I'm not sure on-- does pulling up the friends list or Miiverse during a game exit you out of the game? It seems like it would given that both change the main screen to show a loading graphic, but otherwise I'm not sure how inviting people to games would work.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No it doesn't. Miiverse is just browser based.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

None of the icons on the home screen will close your current software. It's fairly easy on resources because most of them are just variations on the browser software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

No it doesn't. Miiverse is just browser based.

Besides Nintendo Land, and having an avatar, what do you really need Miis for?

• Locked thread