Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Fancy Hat! posted:

Does capturing in Free-Hunt affect what commodities you get at all?

It gives a boost to the chance of getting a rare commodity, at least.

Also, a quick question for anyone who knows. Is Slime considered an Element or a Status? Just wanna know so when I get access to it, I know what skills to use to get the most out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Also, a quick question for anyone who knows. Is Slime considered an Element or a Status? Just wanna know so when I get access to it, I know what skills to use to get the most out of it.

Slime is "explosive" element damage but elemental resists to it havent been determined yet, at least not on the mh wiki.

Also the boost to the rare commodity chance is very small. Like 15% instead of 10% and such. If you have the means and don't care about carves go ahead, but don't sweat it too much if you're not trapping free hunt beasts.

Discount Sushi
Oct 28, 2012

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Slime is treated as a status.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Wait; so if slime is a weapon mod, what the hell is the Slime C+ skill? Does that just improve the slime, or does it add it to your weapon?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Wait; so if slime is a weapon mod, what the hell is the Slime C+ skill? Does that just improve the slime, or does it add it to your weapon?

It allows use of slime coating on bows. Anything that's C+ is arrow coating.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Has anyone uploaded the brady guide anywhere? I have a code from gamestop but would rather be playing when I'm not at work than looking at it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bugamol posted:

Has anyone uploaded the brady guide anywhere? I have a code from gamestop but would rather be playing when I'm not at work than looking at it.

Well, it's a PDF you download from the site, just download and read it? I'm confused because either you're asking for :filez: or I don't know. If you have a code from gamestop redeem it on the website and then email it to yourself and read it from work.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 27, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Bugamol posted:

Yeah, no. This is basically :filez:.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, no. This is basically :filez:.

Oops. The way it was explained to me (by the person at gamestop) it was something you had to download for your Wii U. I was under the assumption (again from the person at gamestop) there was some complicated way of getting it off the Wii U or having to sit at your Wii U to view it. My bad.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Bugamol posted:

Oops. The way it was explained to me (by the person at gamestop) it was something you had to download for your Wii U. I was under the assumption (again from the person at gamestop) there was some complicated way of getting it off the Wii U or having to sit at your Wii U to view it. My bad.

Ah, so less files and 'holy poo poo gamestop employees are awful'. Got it. It's a PDF, download it from the Bradygames site and you can read it anywhere. It's a half decent PDF too, has hyperlinks and stuff and is searchable.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Ah, so less files and 'holy poo poo gamestop employees are awful'. Got it. It's a PDF, download it from the Bradygames site and you can read it anywhere. It's a half decent PDF too, has hyperlinks and stuff and is searchable.

I will definitely be doing this tonight. Thanks for the info, sorry for the confusion. I've been around long enough to know files is a no go.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Plus your name is watermarked on the pdf, it is extra bad idea to share it.

The guide is good though, but like every one said. A clear weapon upgrade tree would make it 90% better. You can get one off Gamefaqs though.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Plus your name is watermarked on the pdf, it is extra bad idea to share it.

The guide is good though, but like every one said. A clear weapon upgrade tree would make it 90% better. You can get one off Gamefaqs though.

Ya. Looking back it was a pretty stupid thing to ask for. I just was under the impression it wasn't easy to get it off the Wii U and was hopeful to have a look at armor skills and such since nothing is definitive in game. No idea how much damage I'm gaining or losing from sharpness, skills, etc..

I will probably send it to myself at work and then print it on one of our color printers here then I'll have a bound copy.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
The guide is decent for looking at stats of monsters but there's a lot of information that I want to look at that just isn't there which is unfortunate.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bugamol posted:

I will probably send it to myself at work and then print it on one of our color printers here then I'll have a bound copy.

It's over 500 pages.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

elf help book posted:

It's over 500 pages.

Hey, he ain't paying for the paper + ink.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
The thing is, all the math behind Monster Hunter has always been somewhat fuzzy. Between sharpness, monster damage locations, elemental resistance, a dozen different buffs and armour skills, Cha-Chas, etc., you're better off not descending into a math-spiral trying to super-optimize your DPS. I'm sure there's some group out there that's reverse-engineered and data-mined every component part of the game into a spreadsheet, but is it really worth going to that length?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

elf help book posted:

It's over 500 pages.

I already asked my boss and he's cool with it.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Majuju posted:

The thing is, all the math behind Monster Hunter has always been somewhat fuzzy. Between sharpness, monster damage locations, elemental resistance, a dozen different buffs and armour skills, Cha-Chas, etc., you're better off not descending into a math-spiral trying to super-optimize your DPS. I'm sure there's some group out there that's reverse-engineered and data-mined every component part of the game into a spreadsheet, but is it really worth going to that length?

([ATP x TYPE x SHARP x HITZONE x VAR] / [CLASS]) + ([ELEMENT x ESHARP x ELMZONE] / [DIVIDER]) actually isn't that complicated of a formula...

e: I mean obviously I understand your point but trying to maximize your DPS in Monster Hunter is actually still a reasonable undertaking for the most part compared to a lot of more math-y/"theorycraft"-y games. Once you know when to hit the monsters and how to not get hit, why not try to optimize in that way?

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Brett824 posted:

Hey, he ain't paying for the paper + ink.

I'm debating putting together an excel file with all the important data for a monster in really small format.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm debating putting together an excel file with all the important data for a monster in really small format.

That would be awesome.

I have the PDF and have way too much trouble trying to find anything useful in it, even when searching. Maybe it's because Windows 8 built in Reader sucks balls, or maybe it's because it is 500 pages and some of the information is really lacking. Either way, that would be awesome.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I'm starting to build up a decent arsenal I'm pretty stoked that some of my most-used weapons from MHFU are returning for this game. My insecticutters dragon element dual swords and gun chariot gunlance are back, baby. :allears:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The big question I have for today is if the Baltzenger weapon line is still a lance, if it's been appropriately reclassed as a gunlance.

I'm going to a local gathering of hunters after work today, which might be cool. I'm afraid that everyone will be too far to play with my HR1 butt, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Moldy Taxes posted:

The big question I have for today is if the Baltzenger weapon line is still a lance, if it's been appropriately reclassed as a gunlance.

I'm going to a local gathering of hunters after work today, which might be cool. I'm afraid that everyone will be too far to play with my HR1 butt, though.

It's a lance. It's actually an event Lance that involves killing 20 bullfangos while buttnaked.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Do all Jaggis/Baggis/Wroggis react the same to fire? I'm trying to see some sort of use at all for The torch helmet.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ciaphas posted:

Might try that tomorrow, thanks. Is there anywhere on that wiki that lists combos with each weapon class? I'm having a rough time finding anything I want on that thing, or finding stuff relevant to MH3U, at any rate. :(

Here's the first video in a series where a guy playing the demo just explains the different moves the weapons have. Obviously the Hunting Horn one would change which note corresponds to each button if it has different notes, but otherwise he covers the basics.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Might try that tomorrow, thanks. Is there anywhere on that wiki that lists combos with each weapon class? I'm having a rough time finding anything I want on that thing, or finding stuff relevant to MH3U, at any rate. :(

I'm not sure about the wiki, but the hammer's simple. Your usual combo will be X-X-X, with a fourth X possible if the blows connect with a monster. The A button just does a quick side-bash and is generally only used for quickly chaining into an X combo. Holding down R will charge your hammer. When you flash and hear a sort of shiny sound (like the Dual Blade demonize sound effect), release R while standing still to do a :fuckoff: superpound, which is two vertical bashes. Release R while moving and you'll go into a spin, which doesn't really do much damage compared to everything else you have, but it's mostly setup for the "golfswing", the hammer's most powerful individual attack which is performed by pressing X during a spin. Partially charging and releasing the R button (or just tapping it) will cause you to do an upswing with the hammer (dashing if moving) which is more powerful than your basic X-hit and, like the A attack, can be chained into an X combo. Pretty much anything but the superpound and spin move can be roll-canceled, so bear that in mind at you whack away at monsters. You can also roll-cancel a charge, so don't be afraid to store up energy!

tl;dr use the x combo liberally, charged thingies if you have a good opportunity.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 27, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

To Vex a Stranger posted:

That would be awesome.

I have the PDF and have way too much trouble trying to find anything useful in it, even when searching. Maybe it's because Windows 8 built in Reader sucks balls, or maybe it's because it is 500 pages and some of the information is really lacking. Either way, that would be awesome.

Alright, I'll start working on it tonight. I'm going to include drops by rank, breaks, and resistances, and probably just make that about it. I want to be able to fit as much as possible on a screen while still being readable.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Best results screen ever?

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just got this from Gamefly, first MH game, and I'm extremely overwhelmed!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aardvark Barber posted:

I just got this from Gamefly, first MH game, and I'm extremely overwhelmed!

There's a lot of mechanics and things to do, but I suggest just following the main story along until you get to the point where multiple quests open up at the guild counter. Once you get there you can start building specific armor sets or weapons, and it really "slows down" and becomes much more about what you want to make and hunt.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
When using a switchaxe is there a reason to use the axe mode over the sword mode sometimes? I've been playing almost exclusively with switchaxes for an embarrasing amount of time without really understanding what the point of axe mode is other than as an annoying intermediary between sprinting and rear end kicking mode.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Lork posted:

When using a switchaxe is there a reason to use the axe mode over the sword mode sometimes? I've been playing almost exclusively with switchaxes for an embarrasing amount of time without really understanding what the point of axe mode is other than as an annoying intermediary between sprinting and rear end kicking mode.

I did this too, until I got to high rank. Something just clicked and I figured out which moves transition between modes. Whenever my meter gets low I do the sideslash back into axe mode, then combo until I get into the quick side slashes. I usually do better doing that then running off and finding a chance to reload.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Lork posted:

You should try unsheathing using R+X+A. What axe mode? :v:

In all seriousness, axe mode is decent if you ever need a little bit of extra vertical reach. The upswing is your quicker upwards attack, while the downswing is much stronger if you have time to deal with the wind-up. Other than that, if you don't have an opening to reload your phial, axe mode is there to let you continue doing damage while your meter refills.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I just found this website, which seems like a fairly good resource for the DLC stuff. It has info (including pictures) on all the currently-released DLC items for both 3U and 3G, so you can confirm what the rewards are and what's coming up. You can also see the differences between original rewards and the reskinned versions for the western release (the latest DLC, for example, rewards you with a sword that in the Japanese version was Inuyasha's sword).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A couple plesioth questions. Does he have waist armor? Can you cut his tail? I haven't unlocked the waist armor and I think it might be because I'm missing the plesioth tail ingredient, but IIRC in 2nd gen you couldn't actually cut his tail.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

liquidypoo posted:

You should try unsheathing using R+X+A. What axe mode? :v:

In all seriousness, axe mode is decent if you ever need a little bit of extra vertical reach. The upswing is your quicker upwards attack, while the downswing is much stronger if you have time to deal with the wind-up. Other than that, if you don't have an opening to reload your phial, axe mode is there to let you continue doing damage while your meter refills.
Well yeah I know all about that and the the stab -> sword mode combo. I'm just wondering if there's a reason to use axe mode other than when you have to. Like if it did more damage per swing or something, which would make the upswing -> infinite combo actually seem like it was worth using occasionally. The upswing itself is another mystery to me. I mean yeah you get a tiny bit more vertical range, but it's so drat slow and teammate unfriendly that I can't imagine it being any more effective than spamming the vertical sword combo and hoping for the best.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Moon Monster posted:

A couple plesioth questions. Does he have waist armor? Can you cut his tail? I haven't unlocked the waist armor and I think it might be because I'm missing the plesioth tail ingredient, but IIRC in 2nd gen you couldn't actually cut his tail.

No to both. Which makes it a pretty good armor since you now get a waist to add an additional skill if you gem for it.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Axe mode has the a+x to a repeating combo that eats stamina for lots of quick heavy hits. Axe mode does act as the sword mode meter builder. I try to end sword mode with a A+X with a rapid x tap to explosion combo. You can reload about 40% of your sword mode meter if it's red by holding R and pressing A+X on the unsheathe.

Axe mode has some descent tail cutting moves and to me has a slightly longer reach as well. Sword mode I usually reserve for going all out on KO/exhaustion and for breaking most parts. Once you get accustomed to the combos of both modes you're like some sort of graceful samurai berserker who can side step and evade like the best of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
In MH3U on the 3DS, how do I know when a day passed and is there a way to go free hunting at night?

I'm really enjoying the game as my first MH experience. I watched the GB quicklook, bought and read the "Beginner's Guide" eBook and didn't feel as overwhelmed as I feared. The controls are fine as well, even under water. It's a good thing that you can scale and reposition the touchscreen d-pad. The only thing that bugs me, is that there is no online multiplayer without a WiiU and I don't know anybody else who plays MH to meet with :-/

• Locked thread