Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Brainamp posted:

No. The punches went:

Blitzer pushes Catcher.
Blocker blitzes Catcher.
Troll Slayer blitzes Wardancer.

It was two blitzes.

Do you mind posting the replay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

cKnoor posted:

Do you mind posting the replay?

I think this is the right one. Opponent should be the punky brewsters. Watch for the second turn, cause that's when the whole thing happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are you sure one of them wasn't a Jump Up? Unlikely on a Dwarf team, I know.

No, it was a fresh dwarf team.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brainamp posted:

I think this is the right one. Opponent should be the punky brewsters. Watch for the second turn, cause that's when the whole thing happened.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g5ya97q1wu8jva2

No, it was a fresh dwarf team.

That is not the right replay. It's really old and there are no dwarves.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Brainamp posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g5ya97q1wu8jva2

That replay is Chaos vs Amazons from 2012-11-05, so probably not the correct replay.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ugh, her we go.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6cvue8t6xec6s65

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, something isn't right there. The replay actually seemed to have broke on Turn 2, so I only saw the first blitz. The blitz sign went up, then it went away but still was able to move and block. Then the blitz sign went up above another couple players' heads but nothing happened and the replay broke there.

So yeah, Cyanide. This game has the weirdest and most random and frustrating bugs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the replay thinks the non-blitz blitz is the last time either of you make a move. Some kind of desync bug maybe?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
My undead team now has two Mummies at level 3 and they've failed to roll a double so I've given them both Break Tackle and Guard. I 've been lucky with regenerate rolls so have bucket loads of cash on hand, should I replace one and try again?

On the other hand, both of my Ghouls have +Str now and one has +Agi which is pretty amazing.

edit: I have 5 rerolls too

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

AlsoD posted:

My undead team now has two Mummies at level 3 and they've failed to roll a double so I've given them both Break Tackle and Guard. I 've been lucky with regenerate rolls so have bucket loads of cash on hand, should I replace one and try again?

On the other hand, both of my Ghouls have +Str now and one has +Agi which is pretty amazing.

Tournament or match making?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlsoD posted:

I'd say it depends on how much guard you have, if you have enough guard on other players it might be worth it to try a fresh mummy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd say 5 rerolls is at least one too many.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Only teams I can think of that'd need 5 rerolls is ogres and vamps.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
I’d say keep the mummies for 1 more level if mm and then fire if they don’t roll a double. Tournament keep both mummies. 5 RR is way too many, in mm 2 is enough; in tournament play 3 is enough unless your team has a significantly lower TV than the other teams.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Thanks for the advice! I'm currently playing against the AI, but I'm starting to notice all the reasons why people say not to. I only got the extra RRs because I had absurd amounts of money but I see why that was a bad idea.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AlsoD posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm currently playing against the AI, but I'm starting to notice all the reasons why people say not to. I only got the extra RRs because I had absurd amounts of money but I see why that was a bad idea.

The AI is stupid and really doesn't give any appreciable challenge. Losing online is what teaches you/pisses you off.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Yeah the ai is terrible and now is probably the best time to just jump into online play, since its crawling with new players at the moment.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

ZigZag posted:

Yeah the ai is terrible and now is probably the best time to just jump into online play, since its crawling with new players at the moment.

Really? The only multiplayer games I had were against newbie friends in a LAN setting. What should I do to play online?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Log into multiplayer, create a new team and join the Naggaroth League (automated matchmaking only) or Auld League (can pick games or get automated matchmaking). These are the default leagues full of pubbies, so it can be fun to have a team or two there for a quick match vs nobody in particular.

Then there's the goon league (details in first post of this thread), and I think there's even a goon tournament for new teams starting about now.

You can have multiple multiplayer teams so you can go for all of the above :P

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

retro sexual posted:

Log into multiplayer, create a new team and join the Naggaroth League (automated matchmaking only) or Auld League (can pick games or get automated matchmaking). These are the default leagues full of pubbies, so it can be fun to have a team or two there for a quick match vs nobody in particular.

Then there's the goon league (details in first post of this thread), and I think there's even a goon tournament for new teams starting about now.

Thanks. I didn't know about Naggaroth or Auld so I can join those and pick up games now. Thanks.

And I joined goonbowl 8 already. I have a chaos team there.

What does this mean:
"The action cannot be executed:
the league does not exist"

I'm trying to play with a dark elf team in the general goon league.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 27, 2013

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
When you have 10 games online you can join "forum open league"(FOL) which is the only large moderated match making league. This means that you won't play against people abusing the various bugs and that people won't disconnect(on purpose)during games.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
the best thing to do as a goon, is to create an amazon or human team and join the no bash league. Proceed to take as much mighty blow and piling on as possible on your blitzers and bash your way to victory.

Also the players in no bash make the pubs in auld look like bloodbowl savants.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Washout posted:

the best thing to do as a goon, is to create an amazon or human team and join the no bash league. Proceed to take as much mighty blow and piling on as possible on your blitzers and bash your way to victory.

Also the players in no bash make the pubs in auld look like bloodbowl savants.

I'm pretty sure "no Bash" is the worst league to ever see the light of day. 1090 tv (without including ff) gets you a human squad with 4 tackle POMB blitzers, a thrower, 5 unskilled linemen, a dirty player and 2 rr :rms:.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So yeah, Cyanide. This game has the weirdest and most random and frustrating bugs.

This is what gets me with BB. There are so many bugs I've seen once, and then never again no matter how hard I've tried to replicate them. There must be so drat much going on under the hood in this game, and most of it not good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you ever noticed how long it takes it to load in the players? They're not complicated, but it takes ages. Whatever is going on in their back-end is hosed.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Brainamp posted:

Just played against a dwarf player with my relativity fresh wood elves. He punched my catcher once, failed to knock him over, then blitzed him. Then he blitzed my wardancer. He got two blitzes in one turn. gently caress you Cyanide.

Coming back to this, I've been able to replicate a bug where you can blitz guys without using your blitz if you've got leap. I don't think that's what happened here because a leaping dwarf would be very odd.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I remember having some strange bug that I managed to replicate once or twice but never consistently, where you would use a frenzy player as the last player to move, have them lay a block or a blitz or whatever, then wait until times runs out before you choose the first result. So the time would run out, it change to the opposition turn, but then the second frenzy block would then occur, and after that the (opposition) turn would immediately end, as though it was remembering that the turn was supposed to end after the frenzy because all of your other players would move. So you could cause the game to completely skip the opponent's turn.

There was obviously more conditions that needed to be met to trigger it consistently though because I could never consistently replicate it. Anyone else heard of something like this? It could completely ruin multiplayer.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So yeah, remember how I bitched about that two blitz thing? It happened again with undead this time. The best part is that my opponent bitched for the rest of the match.

The match in question, it's around turn 6 or 7 I think. I think I might just stop playing with this team, I think it's haunted.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

retro sexual posted:

It should be warned the matchmaking is absolutely horrible. I tried it last night after taking a few months off playing BB and hoping CE might have fixed things.

It hadn't. My freshly created 1000 TV Human team gets matched with a min-maxed 1300 TV Dwarf team (all but I think one dwarf had multiple level ups to their name) and was promptly ground in to a fine paste. The guy playing them was even apologetic about it and seemed to feel genuinely ashamed he was placed in a match vs. an absolute new team. It prompted me to abandon the match pretty much for the first time in two years at about turn 6 simply because it seemed to be a dick move to be wasting his time on a boring game with team I would have to remake. I would of been lucky to had six guys to field for the second half anyway.

The moral of the story is to get in Goon League and pick actual fair matches. Hell knows Cyanide's shameful programming won't do it for you.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
So how is the line of scrimmage supposed to work? If you can't out-bash them just put three linemen (with wrestle if possible) on it, if you can then put a bunch of guys there ready to pile on?

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde
If you're set on random matchmaking you're better off doing it in Naggaroth than Auld. In Auld you might go up against "farmed" team, while in Naggaroth you're just go up against Chaos Dorfs forever and ever.

AlsoD posted:

So how is the line of scrimmage supposed to work? If you can't out-bash them just put three linemen (with wrestle if possible) on it, if you can then put a bunch of guys there ready to pile on?

If you don't want to get punched you stick 3 lineman on the LoS and everyone else at least two steps back. That way you're only giving away blocks on 4 players total. This is of course assuming we're talking about your team being on defence.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

AlsoD posted:

If I can out-bash my opponent's line on offense, I like to put just enough force to get a string of two-die-blocks and no more. If you put all of your heavy hitters on the line, you're just asking to have them tied up and ran around.

If I'm going to be the one taking punches, I put forward three of what I can most afford to lose - usually linemen, and always loners if I've got them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 31, 2013

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
What skill should i take on a pro elf lineman who rolled a double and already has guard? Rest of the team is your standard dodge/block/wrestle except for 2 linemen who have + strength already. Should i just take block?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Joopjan posted:

What skill should i take on a pro elf lineman who rolled a double and already has guard? Rest of the team is your standard dodge/block/wrestle except for 2 linemen who have + strength already. Should i just take block?
Having a mighty blower probably wouldn't hurt.

It'll make him into a huge target until he gets blodge, mind you. But at least it might distract your opponent from going after your catchers, and if he does survive long enough to get blodge, so much the better.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Joopjan posted:

The boring but good answer is block, the fun answer is something like Nerves of Steel to add even more to your pass play.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Stand Firm would be an amazing rear end in a top hat choice but the odds of that guy living to get 2 more levels to be the ultimate annoying elf is basically zero so I'd go for boring ol blodge. Sidestep is almost as good anyway if he miraculously gets a 4th skill.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is there some system in place for when your opponent just isn't there? I don't think I can take a full 16 turns of him taking the max possible time on every turn, set up, reading of kick off event. This is going to take forever. Free spp for me I guess, but I'd rather do a real match. Don't want to forfeit either.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can just quit or you can foul all his players to death.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think I'm just going to foul all his players then. I really don't want to quit incase this is some bullshit strategy. I bet you can get free wins that way.

Edit. Haha, badly hurt failing a gfi. Injuries against no one.

Oh my god. Wasted all this time doing a match by myself just because I didn't want to let some guy get a free win, 2 mvps, double money just for afking.

Match finishes, game hangs on retreiving data from server and eventually decides the match I wasted all this time on never happened.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 5, 2013

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
That's why you should only do 2 min games - much less time wasting available and still enough time to play a turn comfortably (don't go NEAR 40 sec!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Decided to get a team fired up and running for the first time in a while, scratched up an Undead outfit and went onto Auld World against some Chaos team.

Around turn 4 not much has happened - he's knocked one of my guys off the field, I've injured one of his for a match (nothing permanent) and it's touch and go whether or not I'll be able to get the ball off his carrier, and he fails a single dodge roll on an unimportant player and just quits.

I mean, I'll take the two touchdowns and 110k and all but seriously? The game had barely started. Is it common for people to just up and leave the instant things don't go their way? Seems kind of petty.

• Locked thread