Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10bux
Sep 10, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Nice. I assume they're worth that much more in hardcore, which is where I'm playing.

I've kind of run into a wall with both of my characters, a 35 shadow and a 30 witch. Maybe I just need better gear or something, but killing is slow going with my witch and moreso with my shadow, and things are starting to hit hard.

If anyone has a minute, care to critique my trees?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...NbtQe4O-WP_kw== (raced to iron reflexes, can start to backfill stuff now)

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...NDZC9rd37Dk7A== (going electricity, raced to MI but not sure if I should work on minions more, electricity damage output, or life / resists)

No one can really critique your tree unless you post what kind of gems you plan on using. I'm guessing your shadow is some kind of one-handed melee build? If so, I hate to say it but a Duelist, Marauder or even a Templar would be much better. Shadows are basically casters, or CI daggers (don't do this). You also have way too many attribute points. If you want to try and salvage your Shadow, here's a quick fix I came up with, but it would take a ton of respec points. http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...vr8xWegh3ZKfQ==

Same amount of points spent, but you would get +20% life, +24% one handed phys dmg and +7% movement speed.

I have no idea about summoners so I can't comment on your witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

10bux posted:

No one can really critique your tree unless you post what kind of gems you plan on using. I'm guessing your shadow is some kind of one-handed melee build? If so, I hate to say it but a Duelist, Marauder or even a Templar would be much better. Shadows are basically casters, or CI daggers (don't do this). You also have way too many attribute points. If you want to try and salvage your Shadow, here's a quick fix I came up with, but it would take a ton of respec points. http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...vr8xWegh3ZKfQ==

Same amount of points spent, but you would get +20% life, +24% one handed phys dmg and +7% movement speed.

I have no idea about summoners so I can't comment on your witch.

Hm ok, thanks. Yes, my shadow is double strike / cyclone oriented, with a zombie + minion life meat shield and viper strike for bosses.

Witch is using spark + fork, arc + lightning weakness gem, zombies + spectre + minion life

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
Anyone want to offer some pointers for my flickerstrike daggers CI shadow?

Level 63. I've got 5 free points, and I just put the two points into the dagger + accuracy skill, which netted me only a minor DPS gain and a lovely 1% accuracy. I'm considering respecing out of those points considering the gain wasn't a lot.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...LDtQfPq9Uv8q_-T

My build is quality flicker + culling + increased melee + increased melee on full life, Lightning strike + lightning pen + quality lightning damage + chain, frenzy + increased melee + increased crits, and double strike + increased crits + increased melee damage. For Auras I run disc + grace + hatred.

I have a 420% increased crit multiplier, so when I crit, poo poo melts. poo poo also melts when I flicker strike, but that requires frenzy charges.

My main issue is fire damage (only 55% resist), getting stunned or block locked, and some things that just hit too hard.

With 3k total ES, I'm wondering where to spend these last points. I'm thinking of back-filling missing crit nodes (I'm missing a 20% by shadow start), and grabbing arcane focus + deep wisdom by the witch, and finishing off the 5-8% ES nodes near the middle.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're running CI your only options for a neck is the Eye of Chayula. It's around 1-1.5ex. It stops you from being stunned.

I didn't want to pay that kind of cash for a glorified experiment so my CI Cold Caster duder is dead in the water at 54ish.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007

Vasudus posted:

If you're running CI your only options for a neck is the Eye of Chayula. It's around 1-1.5ex. It stops you from being stunned.

I didn't want to pay that kind of cash for a glorified experiment so my CI Cold Caster duder is dead in the water at 54ish.

I've considered this -- but I figure the Chalupa doesn't do anything for blockstun, which is by my count effectively 26% of my problem.

I'll also lose a considerable amount of even more fire resists from my current ammy.

It's really a shame, passives like zealot's oath count %regen towards % ES (instead of % health), yet CI doesn't make chance to stun based on %HP changed to %es.

I've also considered carnage heart for the % LL, but I figure the -%ES would butcher me...

I'm thinking you're right, it's a shame, since CI is really the only way I've seen for anyone to run bloodrage late game on a non-hp regen build.

edit:

I also don't know what curse to use. Currently I use enfeeble/critical weakness. Neither seem great, but I don't have an open red slot for warlord's mark, so I'm really at a loss.

Booyah fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 28, 2013

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Booyah posted:

I've considered this -- but I figure the Chalupa doesn't do anything for blockstun, which is by my count effectively 26% of my problem.

I'll also lose a considerable amount of even more fire resists from my current ammy.

It's really a shame, passives like zealot's oath count %regen towards % ES (instead of % health), yet CI doesn't make chance to stun based on %HP changed to %es.

I've also considered carnage heart for the % LL, but I figure the -%ES would butcher me...

I'm thinking you're right, it's a shame, since CI is really the only way I've seen for anyone to run bloodrage late game on a non-hp regen build.

Unfortunately until they make ES factor into stun calculations (if they ever do) the only option is the Eye of Chayula. It sucks because yeah, blood rage is such an interesting skill. And it's great to tell those undying alchemists to eat a dick with their chaos damage.

They've made taking CI much more attractive with the +ES nodes next to it now, but the stun thing turns CI into basically a honeypot rather than simply a really dumb idea :(

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Unfortunately until they make ES factor into stun calculations (if they ever do) the only option is the Eye of Chayula. It sucks because yeah, blood rage is such an interesting skill. And it's great to tell those undying alchemists to eat a dick with their chaos damage.

They've made taking CI much more attractive with the +ES nodes next to it now, but the stun thing turns CI into basically a honeypot rather than simply a really dumb idea :(

It's really a shame CI isn't much more than a gimmick at this point. In the closed beta I heard it was crazy OP(someone told me it offered 200% increased ES????--that doesn't sound logical), but right now it just seems like a get this if you want to use bloodrage and if you want to dodge the few gimmicky mobs associated with chaos damage.

Kind of sad that a lot of really neat niche passives are getting pushed aside by the current stack too much HP builds.

I also think that a large portion of my build's deaths are due to the fact that melee in this game is a sad joke. Consider that my firetrapper, level 66, has about 2300 HP + ES he survives more if only he is ranged. I know everyone beats the "melee sucks" horse dead in this thread, but really... melee sucks sometimes.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I picked up Hex Master and Whispers of Doom on my ranger and it is just wonderful. Everything gets Temporal Chains and then either Projectile Weakness to soften them up or Enfeeble to water them down. It makes it easy to even the playing field on maps that give me permanent Chains, although they're still long slogs, not much to be done about that. Really thinking hard about picking up some of those uniques that allow extra curses.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Frog Assassin posted:

I picked up Hex Master and Whispers of Doom on my ranger and it is just wonderful. Everything gets Temporal Chains and then either Projectile Weakness to soften them up or Enfeeble to water them down. It makes it easy to even the playing field on maps that give me permanent Chains, although they're still long slogs, not much to be done about that. Really thinking hard about picking up some of those uniques that allow extra curses.

I run triple curses with Doedre's Damning ring on my spark totem templar and it is awesome. Enfeeble + Temporal Chains + Elemental Weakness for tough packs, Projectile Weakness + Elemental Weakness + Conductivity to shred things. I'm considering getting Windscream boots for 4 curses once I get some more currency.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Rogue posted:

I run triple curses with Doedre's Damning ring on my spark totem templar and it is awesome. Enfeeble + Temporal Chains + Elemental Weakness for tough packs, Projectile Weakness + Elemental Weakness + Conductivity to shred things. I'm considering getting Windscream boots for 4 curses once I get some more currency.

I'm not sure 4 curses will really ever be worthwhile, the time you spend cursing every pack is going to keep adding up and most packs don't take that long to kill. Double curses I can see, especially if you're in a party where someone else can do the first curse and you follow up.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Read posted:

I'm not sure 4 curses will really ever be worthwhile, the time you spend cursing every pack is going to keep adding up and most packs don't take that long to kill. Double curses I can see, especially if you're in a party where someone else can do the first curse and you follow up.

Some of the resistant magic monster packs, rare monsters with regen or leech, map bosses, etc. etc. all have a ton of health and take a long time to kill even when triple-cursed. And with the curse cast speed passives near those two keystones and curses linked to an increased area of effect gem, I can triple-curse a screenful of enemies in less than a second.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vasudus posted:

I use Explosive Arrow in conjunction with a Quill Rain bow.

Explosive Arrow - Concentrated Effect - Chance to Ignite - Elemental Proliferation - Fire Penetration

Basically you machinegun out 5 EAs, they blow up and either kill everything outright or set things on fire, which burns for a shitload of damage. Take EB and Inner Force so you run with ~3000 mana and a ton of auras. I'm running Purity, Determination, Clarity, Grace and Discipline (with in conjunction with reduced mana gem + inner force is a net gain in mana capacity). The only real downside is that it's a one trick pony, the only two active skills I use are EA and flammability. So things that are extremely resistant to fire AND curse immune are tough times.

Interesting. As a witch, how do you manage the dex requirements for the dex gem (EA is a Dex gem, right)? Or is the build completely dependent on the Quill Rain to work, and get all the damage from the passive nodes, rather than getting a top-end bow and leveling the gem?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Locator posted:

Interesting. As a witch, how do you manage the dex requirements for the dex gem (EA is a Dex gem, right)? Or is the build completely dependent on the Quill Rain to work, and get all the damage from the passive nodes, rather than getting a top-end bow and leveling the gem?

Double Dex light quiver, and then having an amulet with either all stats or dex. Don't have to spend a single point on dex things usually, unless I happen to get a piece of gear that is really good and doesn't meet the requirements.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Also worth noting that there are some +30 Dex nodes near the Witch area in pretty attractive places, not much trouble to pick up if you need a supplement until you can get more stats on your gear (or in order to allow you to need fewer +dex/allstat rolls on your gear.)

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
Does anyone have a good facebreaker build that I can reference? Finally got one to drop last night.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Anyone have any opinions on elemental hit vs power siphon in an elemental wand build? I am thinking hit is better until or unless you get charges. Or maybe one is better for a single attack vs area attack. Thoughts?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hand Row posted:

Anyone have any opinions on elemental hit vs power siphon in an elemental wand build? I am thinking hit is better until or unless you get charges. Or maybe one is better for a single attack vs area attack. Thoughts?

I ran a power siphon wand shotgun templar until about 48. It was absolutely crazy damage for AOE, and pretty disappointing single target. Getting all those power charges and watching stuff explode was sweet. This is the character as it stands now, abandoned.

The killer for me was finding a good enough wand, and gear requirements in general.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I think power siphon is better for AoE, especially with 7 available power charges. Even with 3 power charges, I'd still use it for AoE. The amount of shock stacks/burns/freezes from crits are just too good to give up. Elemental Hit is probably better for single target as you already have power charges, but I'm cheap so I just use power siphon. I might try to borrow someones elemental hit so I can compare DPS.

I've played about 5 or so of the popular builds and wander is definitely my favorite so far. I've spent a ridiculous amount of currency on my dude, but running around with 40% crit is just awesome.

10bux fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 28, 2013

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
So I just came back from a few week hiatus to find my L59 Templar with a full passive reset (like I thought would happen if they fiddled with the tree), and I am paralyzed with indecision as to how to rebuild him. Do I do the same thing I was doing, which was a LS shield tank? Or have there been any new builds that have emerged for the class from the past couple patches?

E: This discovery led to me performing a full audit of my account, stripping all my inactive characters and reorganizing everything. The first of hopefully many, if the game lasts a decade like GGG hopes it does.

Zaburino fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 28, 2013

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Zaburino posted:

So I just came back from a few week hiatus to find my L59 Templar with a full passive reset (like I thought would happen if they fiddled with the tree), and I am paralyzed with indecision as to how to rebuild him. Do I do the same thing I was doing, which was a LS shield tank? Or have there been any new builds that have emerged for the class from the past couple patches?

E: This discovery led to me performing a full audit of my account, stripping all my inactive characters and reorganizing everything. The first of hopefully many, if the game lasts a decade like GGG hopes it does.

Well some things that are good right now that you can run from the Templar start area are Dual Spark Totem, Freezing Pulse, and Lightning Arrow. You can also try a Power Siphon Wander, but those are super gear dependent.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Vasudus posted:

I ran a power siphon wand shotgun templar until about 48. It was absolutely crazy damage for AOE, and pretty disappointing single target. Getting all those power charges and watching stuff explode was sweet. This is the character as it stands now, abandoned.

The killer for me was finding a good enough wand, and gear requirements in general.

I took it further than you did, all the way up to 65. I finally even bought a Wake of destruction but that didn't even really make it viable. You need a mega expensive wand to make the wander work. Probably some kind of 1.7 speed wand that also has good elemental damage bonuses. I had the opposite problem when in a3 merc. My single target dps got really high with power siphon. But the AoE damage with chain just did not cut it. I finally resorted to GMP+Faster attacks, rather than LMP+chain. But that still does not make me able to get through the crematorium.

It was not at all a loss though, because all the awesome gear went right onto a LA ranger that is doing really well. Now I can't decide if I should spend my next 5 exalts on a new wand and really give the wander the attention he deserves, or get a really nice bow and keep going with the ranger.

As an aside, templars can just as easily do Lightning arrow as a ranger can. Especially with a respec letting you go right to the harder to reach areas really easily.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My current experiment is a level 51 pure physical bow duelist. I'm running Frenzy/Split Arrow for my attacks. It does absolutely absurd group damage (Split+Increased Crit Chance+Added Fire+Chain) and pretty good single target with Frenzy. The downsides are that my physical damage is nowhere near significant enough to take advantage of all the leech I have (life:10% carnage heart, 1% from a ring. 4% mana leech from gear) and my bow is poop now. I've been using a 4L Death's Harp since 32 and it's really, really starting to show it's age.

I just have to get to 56 and then decide on getting a thicket bow with premade stats but not a 5L, or getting a 5L white bow and cooking it myself :smithicide:

I'm thinking that I should try and consolidate down my gear so my little experiments aren't so goddamn expensive. A 5L ar/ev chest is probably a good idea given how many builds can use it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Yeah I sold my white 5L AR that dropped for me yesterday, but that still leaves me with 3 5 links that I'm not sure I should be keeping. Ev/es, ar/ev and a pure es, though the pure es is only level 44 so I don't think it could sell for much.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Question: I notice that if two people with the same aura stand next to each other, they can stack. Does that mean that if you ran with a set of friends and all had Purity + Inner Force + stayed close together, you could have 100% all resists?

Eggs posted:

Does anyone have a good facebreaker build that I can reference? Finally got one to drop last night.

Hit the question mark below my username, my more recent posts detail Facebreaker builds and what you want to do with them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Just got this to drop today.

If I can get it RRGB it'll be amazing for my LA Ranger :>.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Zero VGS posted:

Question: I notice that if two people with the same aura stand next to each other, they can stack.

They don't stack, the highest level aura overwrites lower level ones.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Isn't that worth like 10ex? I'd sell it and buy an amazing bow or something.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Washout posted:

Isn't that worth like 10ex? I'd sell it and buy an amazing bow or something.

Yeah, I 4L and qualitied it and I'm gonna sell it now. Decided I was better off spending the currency.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007

Read posted:

Yeah, I 4L and qualitied it and I'm gonna sell it now. Decided I was better off spending the currency.

Consider this, while that item is valuable and selling it could net you a good bit, it's also one of the best in slot for any build using evasion and auras. Hell, I'd be willing to bet most people would use that even without having any other evasion, just because it offers 3 amazing benefits, immune to freeze, reduced mana reserved, and +2 level to auras.

Basically, if you sell that you're selling one of the top notch helms.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah but geofries is better in some ways and not anywhere near as expensive. He can sell that and buy a lioneyes. Maybe

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm hoping that the changes they made to the economy/multiboxing are bringing things back down to a sane level. Two weeks ago every.single.5L.ever was being sold for 1-2ex, regardless of ilevel or any other factor. Now I can at least get white 5Ls for 1-2GCPs. Before I cooked up my own bow I looked on the forums to see if I could just cut to the chase; spend a few ex tops and get something pretty decent. Nope. Semi nice bow? 10ex. Really nice bow that isn't even as good as lioneye? 30ex. Cocksuck my rear end you rich motherfuckers, your gear isn't that good.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Booyah posted:

Consider this, while that item is valuable and selling it could net you a good bit, it's also one of the best in slot for any build using evasion and auras.
Giving up 300-400 health in a health-based build isn't worth it. In a CI build, you're giving up a good chunk of ES that can't be offset by having a buffed Discpline, and the evasion is negligible. Most CI builds are casters so they have no use for Anger or Wrath, which are the two auras which gain the most benefit from the extra levels.

It's really niche and could only be considered good for a CI build with IR that benefits from wrath/anger.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I found my first 6l item, a thicket bow. Any idea what it's worth? ilevel is 63ish, 5 green sockets and a red. It's currently magic but happy to scour and superior it. Also happy to chromatic it to try and get unusual colour combos if that's worth more.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 30, 2013

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

6l thicket? Enjoy your free ride on the currency train

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you're like piles of exalted rich, definitely scour and whetstone. Don't bother to chromatic it because everyone has their own idea about what color combo they want. You could try to magic-regal it and see if you get some awesome mods. In any case, make it an auction on the forums to see what people will really offer.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I scoured and stoned it, plus I used a few chromatics just to get RGB and I have about a zillion chromatics. Here's the auction link. If a goon is interested I will cut a deal.

iLevel was 59 rather than 63 as I thought.

cutie
Oct 22, 2010
I have been starting to get bored of this game so I tried a summoner build. It was a lot of fun until I died to a hasted, additional projectiles dog in cruel Docks. It was a really stupid and easily preventable death. I didn't look up any guides so I may have been doing this summoning thing totally wrong. This was my passives when I died:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...Dow2t0VUB0U-tI=

Am I supposed to get defensive nodes as a summoner? I was planning to get the body and soul and shield nodes at the top left, then get the last of the minion nodes and finally go CI or something. I had only something like 400 life and 700 energy shield when I died, much lower than what I'm used to with other characters at level 47.

I didn't know what to do for bandit rewards so I picked the skillpoint each time.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Lungboy posted:

I scoured and stoned it, plus I used a few chromatics just to get RGB and I have about a zillion chromatics. Here's the auction link. If a goon is interested I will cut a deal.

iLevel was 59 rather than 63 as I thought.

Hurts a lot that it's not over 60, but I'm sure it will still sell for a shitload. Keep the auction going until you get at least 10 exalt for it. 6L white armors sell in the 15 range.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

paraspam posted:

I have been starting to get bored of this game so I tried a summoner build. It was a lot of fun until I died to a hasted, additional projectiles dog in cruel Docks. It was a really stupid and easily preventable death. I didn't look up any guides so I may have been doing this summoning thing totally wrong. This was my passives when I died:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...Dow2t0VUB0U-tI=

Am I supposed to get defensive nodes as a summoner? I was planning to get the body and soul and shield nodes at the top left, then get the last of the minion nodes and finally go CI or something. I had only something like 400 life and 700 energy shield when I died, much lower than what I'm used to with other characters at level 47.

I didn't know what to do for bandit rewards so I picked the skillpoint each time.

Should have taken the life from oak in normal. Also don't priortize the minion nodes at all, the most important thing to a minion build is the +2 hat, and having quality zombie and minion life gems. Just take way more life before bothering with minion nodes if you decide to do it again. sidhebreath and ullrs are not necessary either, just put normal good gear in those slots imo.

The real decision is to use spectres or not. You can easily make a dual totem cold or fire, or use fire or lightning for dps casting if you decide to use skeletons.

The build I finally decided to use was zombies and dual ice spear totems with traps. Spectres were too much a pain in the rear end for running maps. But the dual totems really does less dps but maybe safer and don't have to keep going to solaris to get new spectres when they die.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Is there any market for any sort of lower level items at all? I've come to the realization that the tab I have for each class in my stash is really just full of poo poo that's of no use for my Ice Witch/LA Shadow/Minion Templar that I swear I'll get to one of these days, honest. I could just hock all of it for shards, but maybe I could actually try to get more for it.

• Locked thread