Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoren
May 28, 2008

Saradiart posted:

The hollow will become Baby Ichigo via the power of love.

"Geez, Masaki. We sure hosed that thing up."
"LET'S RAISE IT AS OUR OWN."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The filled hole is where the hollow kept its personality. And that, children, is the story of where Ichigo came from.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Saradiart posted:

The hollow will become Baby Ichigo via the power of love Aizen.

Fixed that for you. :smug:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

"Uryuu's Page on Wikipedia posted:

Along with the Quincies, Uryū was created by Tite Kubo to be the rival of the Soul Reapers and to be evil Aizen.

Whoa. :psyduck:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, evil Aizen would be a super dick. Unless that's like a double negative and he's like the nicest dude ever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Aren't Barragan and Yhwach already basically "evil Aizen"?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Aizen would be the smuggest motherfucker.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guys, guys. The hole is clearly plugged with THE HEART.

Ulquiorra created Ichigo's hollow, that's why Orihime couldn't reject his spiritons. Aizen truly is an evil genius. :smug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well, this is probably related to how Ichigo's hollow hole filled in after he wrecked Ulquiorra.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thoren posted:

"Geez, Masaki. We sure hosed that thing up."
"LET'S RAISE IT AS OUR OWN."

And so Isshin and Masaki sealed the beast inside of Ichigo. But Isshin forbade anyone speak of the Hollow, in the hopes that Ichigo would have a normal life.

And so the children inherited their parents fear of Ichigo, never understanding the true reason for his hair color.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Geniasis posted:

And so Isshin and Masaki sealed the beast inside of Ichigo. But Isshin forbade anyone speak of the Hollow, in the hopes that Ichigo would have a normal life.

And so the children inherited their parents fear of Ichigo, never understanding the true reason for his hair color.

And now, a few years later, after Ichigo nearly dying a dozen times over--saved each time by mere by blind luck or brute strength--Isshin has decided to reveal the truth!

"My son... when a gigai and Quincy love each other very much..."

(Let's not get into the debate of interdimensional sex, please.)

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I wonder if the Vaizards are going to be proactive in this flashback, or if they continue to be unnecessary c-listers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thoren posted:

And now, a few years later, after Ichigo nearly dying a dozen times over--saved each time by mere by blind luck or brute strength--Isshin has decided to reveal the truth!

"My son... when a gigai and Quincy love each other very much..."

(Let's not get into the debate of interdimensional sex, please.)

Anyway, it turns out that all every Vasto Lorde was split off from the one original Más Vasto Lorde and Aizen wants to gather them all and reunite them to he can use it to kill the Soul King and cast the Infinite Kanzen Saimin and put the entire multiverse under his genjutsu illusions.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I love how this will possible become used as a reason to justify the existence of children without anyone ever had any sex in the Bleach universe.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

swmmrmanshen posted:

I love how this will possible become used as a reason to justify the existence of children without anyone ever had any sex in the Bleach universe.

Well son, when a man and a woman love each other very much and want to have a baby, the man inserts his "sword" in to a "hollow" and 9 months later the "garganta" spits you out in to our lives.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Switching the topic a bit. I'm surprised about the reveal of Engetsu's release command, as it seems to be more of a fire type with the 'burn' command. Throw in Isshin's line about turning the hollow to barbecue to solidify some kind of fire motif.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
It's in the name, I think.

At first Engetsu sounds ('Sharp Moon') like another version of Zangetsu ('Head Cutting Off-ing Moon', or something.) But if Engetsu were just like Ichigo's Tensa Zangetsu (Or even regular Zangetsu for that matter) there would have been precedent for Ichigo's unusual "doesn't look like it really does anything and is also tiny" Bankai.

Now I'm going to just steal an explanation I found made by someone else three whole years ago which now makes perfect sense.

Some guy, I dunno:
"the word "剡" means : sharp,cut,razor
or to describe the word : a blade which is on fire(炎) that makes it soo sharp"

So the Kanji is a convenient pictogram of a sword 刀 that's got a bunch of flames 炎 next to it

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 28, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Didn't they say a while back that Zangetsu meant "Cutting Moon" and Engetsu meant "Scathing Moon?"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Zogundar posted:

It's in the name, I think.

At first Engetsu sounds ('Sharp Moon') like another version of Zangetsu ('Head Cutting Off-ing Moon', or something.) But if Engetsu were just like Ichigo's Tensa Zangetsu (Or even regular Zangetsu for that matter) there would have been precedent for Ichigo's unusual "doesn't look like it really does anything and is also tiny" Bankai.

Now I'm going to just steal an explanation I found made by someone else three whole years ago which now makes perfect sense.

Some guy, I dunno:
"the word "剡" means : sharp,cut,razor
or to describe the word : a blade which is on fire(炎) that makes it soo sharp"

So the Kanji is a convenient pictogram of a sword 刀 that's got a bunch of flames 炎 next to it

炎 is also the first part of 炎光, which just means flame. So, combine and we get 炎月 or "flame moon." I really think it's that simple.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Didn't they say a while back that Zangetsu meant "Cutting Moon" and Engetsu meant "Scathing Moon?"

Except for the "Moon" part I think those are fancy non-literal translations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Except for the "Moon" part I think those are fancy non-literal translations.

Technically yes. The 斬(Zan) in Zangetsu literally translates to "beheading."

Edit: And 残月(Zangetsu) literally means: "Morning Moon." So, symbolism, I guess.
Edit2: That's not the radical they use for Zangetsu, so it's actually "Beheading Moon." Why do I waste my time with Bleach like this?

Robviously fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 28, 2013

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I guess my question then is why do they both use Getsuga Tenshou? An attack that is simply absorbing rieatsu and releasing it in a slash doesn't really fit in with Engetsu.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
So...Aizen borrowed Urahara's Reiatsu Concealing Cloak? Or maybe stole it? "Hey Brah, just want to scope some peeps in the material world, mind if I bogart this cloak a skoach?"

So does this flashback take place before or during Urahara's promotion to SRDI?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Batmasterson posted:

I guess my question then is why do they both use Getsuga Tenshou? An attack that is simply absorbing rieatsu and releasing it in a slash doesn't really fit in with Engetsu.
I think the Getsuga Tenshou comes from the "Moon" part of the swords' names (Gasp, can Aizen do it too?) FWIW the wiki says it absorbs and fires Ichigo's reiatsu, not the surrounding reiatsu, so maybe that's how Isshin does it. Maybe it will be explained more later. Alternatively, you totally caught him making a mistake. :v:

hagie posted:

Long after. That was 100[101+] years ago and it was stated by Isshin to Urahara that he hadn't been a Shinigami in 20 years (21 and a half years now) SO at least 21 years ago.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 29, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

hagie posted:

So...Aizen borrowed Urahara's Reiatsu Concealing Cloak? Or maybe stole it? "Hey Brah, just want to scope some peeps in the material world, mind if I bogart this cloak a skoach?"

This takes place about 80 years after Urahara's fall. Aizen almost certainly just replicated Urahara's cloak, it's a useful thing that probably isn't super hard to make.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Zogundar posted:

I think the Getsuga Tenshou comes from the "Moon" part of the swords' names (Gasp, can Aizen do it too?) FWIW the wiki says it absorbs and fires Ichigo's reiatsu, not the surrounding reiatsu, so maybe that's how Isshin does it. Maybe it will be explained more later. Alternatively, you totally caught him making a mistake. :v:

If that hollow/arrancar/Ichigo absorbs Isshin's reiatsu and that's the only reason they can both do it, so help me......

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Also maybe it will be brought up in the manga later but if you go over the original Menos Grande fight/Ichigo Uryuu teamup, in light of the new revelations,

Is the reason for the whole "valve" analogy because Ichigo was actually cheating at being a Shinigami by using the Quincy method of absorbing reiatsu instead of using his own, and that's the real reason he never ran out? Sure looks that way. Incidentally in that same story arc we saw the crushed robot fly that ended up being Aizen spying on Ichigo 300 chapters later. Maybe Kubo does plan some of this stuff pretty well in advance..

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope Engetsu's abilities aren't a complete mirror of Zangetsu. I get that they're related and it kind of makes sense going by Shonen laws, but man give him something unique. Make his Bankai turn the sword into an enormous baseball bat that fires energy in the form of spirits doing flying kicks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tsob posted:

Also, it's nice to see that the Quincies are just as dickish, lazy and incompetent as the Shinigami. "Oh what's that, a huge hollow spirit force attacking the town? No bother, let the mudbloods take care of it after it kills the Shinigami. Pure bloods like us need not dirty our hands with actual work.

I think that has more to do with the Quincy Genocide, than pure dickishness. The 'pure blood' Quincies have to stay alive to keep the bloodline going, otherwise it might get 'diluted' to the point of Quincies effectively ceasing to exist. The 'mixed blood' Quincies aren't quite as vital, under that point of view. Ryuuken obviously disagrees with that view, too, especially if Katagiri does turn out to be Uryuu's mother.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope Engetsu's abilities aren't a complete mirror of Zangetsu. I get that they're related and it kind of makes sense going by Shonen laws, but man give him something unique. Make his Bankai turn the sword into an enormous baseball bat that fires energy in the form of spirits doing flying kicks.

I doubt we'll ever get to see him fight long enough for it to be an issue. Certainly it looks like Isshin is out of commission for the moment thanks to Aizen.

Schubalts posted:

I think that has more to do with the Quincy Genocide, than pure dickishness. The 'pure blood' Quincies have to stay alive to keep the bloodline going, otherwise it might get 'diluted' to the point of Quincies effectively ceasing to exist. The 'mixed blood' Quincies aren't quite as vital, under that point of view. Ryuuken obviously disagrees with that view, too, especially if Katagiri does turn out to be Uryuu's mother.

I thought at first too, but that hollow has to have a huge spirit power or whatever, something they can sense, and that it's big enough to be troubling another huge rear end power in the form of a captain. I really doubt the mixed blood Quincies are going to be strong enough to stand up to that, but hey, that's not going to stop the pure bloods from following the proper order of things. They'll die and the there'll be fewer Quincies but at least things will have been done right. Ryuuken might disagree with this, but he was still willing to let an extremely strong hollow run riot as long as it took for it to murder some people he doesn't like regardless of what collateral damage it might do in the meantime, which is the kind of dickishness people complain about SS doing on a regular basis. Not to mention the implication of in-fighting between various families that the chapter gives regarding marriage and purity. Only the most snobby rich dicks would be willing to argue about purity and marriage policies following a genocide instead of taking every chance possible.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Schubalts posted:

You forgot about the army of Captain-busting quincies chillin in magic-world.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Way off topic- I just got home and bleach was on adult swim so I thought I'd have a good laugh. The english dub is really bad, but it was the Tousen vs Komamura fight. I haven't kept up with the anime in a while, but I thought this fight was pretty well done (minus the dub). It extended more than the manga, Komamura kept us with Tousen's bug hollow form and didn't look like a huge pussy. It's too bad the anime hit the shelves (I understand why) because it's scenes like these that allow fights to extend past the manga scenes and really add value to them. I guess this is just a comment that I did enjoy the anime for what it was able to do, and it's too bad the manga has to seem so rushed at times without the anime there to fill in the fights.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Batmasterson posted:

Way off topic- I just got home and bleach was on adult swim so I thought I'd have a good laugh. The english dub is really bad, but it was the Tousen vs Komamura fight. I haven't kept up with the anime in a while, but I thought this fight was pretty well done (minus the dub). It extended more than the manga, Komamura kept us with Tousen's bug hollow form and didn't look like a huge pussy. It's too bad the anime hit the shelves (I understand why) because it's scenes like these that allow fights to extend past the manga scenes and really add value to them. I guess this is just a comment that I did enjoy the anime for what it was able to do, and it's too bad the manga has to seem so rushed at times without the anime there to fill in the fights.

Bleach could really benefit from the Fullmetal Alchemist treatment. Once Kubo finishes this last arc and with the series (hopefully) concluded they reboot the anime, stick to the plot, expand the fights a bit for entertainment, and wrap up without any filler involving Don Kanonji or Kon. The whole thing will still only be 20 episodes long.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
The Bleach anime was really a solid show until the Soul Society arc ended. I just wish they'd made OVAs or soemthing after that since the pacing isues of the manga certainly bled through in some severe ways.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Shoren posted:

Bleach could really benefit from the Fullmetal Alchemist treatment. Once Kubo finishes this last arc and with the series (hopefully) concluded they reboot the anime, stick to the plot, expand the fights a bit for entertainment, and wrap up without any filler involving Don Kanonji or Kon. The whole thing will still only be 20 episodes long.

I agree totally. Or, at the very least, after this final arc, they could make a movie or mini-series of this arc. I think it would give good ratings, since it's finite and all canon. I'd watch the hell out of it--like Batmasterson said, it's awesome to see the big fights animated.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Batmasterson posted:

and it's too bad the manga has to seem so rushed at times without the anime there to fill in the fights.

What? Rushed? Are we reading the same manga?

I think some of the fights feel like they could have been drawn out a little, but that's because we have 4+ pages of intense staring. I wouldn't say anything in Bleach is rushed though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Chad's fights have become so rushed you literally can't even see them anymore.

Thoren posted:

You forgot about the army of Captain-busting quincies chillin in magic-world.

To be fair, Ryuuken and the rest of the Quincies almost certainly don't know about those guys.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Chad and the rest of the hometown crew are so boring anyway I'm glad they don't have a focus.

Same with anything fullbring related

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kubo is pretty good at coming up with character concepts, but he can't execute them worth a drat. In theory, Chad is awesome. In practice, he doesn't do much of anything and he had fewer lines than eel mom in an arc which was supposedly about him.

This works out better for minor characters who don't really need the spotlight. Kira is a great character concept, but he is so amazingly unimportant to the story that it doesn't really matter if we never see him again. He might be dead, even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kubo is pretty good at coming up with character concepts, but he can't execute them worth a drat. In theory, Chad is awesome. In practice, he doesn't do much of anything and he had fewer lines than eel mom in an arc which was supposedly about him.

This works out better for minor characters who don't really need the spotlight. Kira is a great character concept, but he is so amazingly unimportant to the story that it doesn't really matter if we never see him again. He might be dead, even!

Kira is one of the few reasons I actually watch the filler arcs (even if it takes me forever, I'm just now finally watching the Reigai stuff). I think someone on the animation writing team must be fond of him, he got a nearly starring role in one arc (New Captain) and got some great fight scenes in others (Zanpakutou Rebellion).

The Bount arc doesn't exist, though.

I do sometimes wish we could get a version of Bleach that didn't even have the mortal players. That chain of fights guarding the pillars (Kira, Hisagi, Yumichika, Ikkaku) was one of the most enjoyable streak of chapters/episodes for me. I just really like the different zanpakuto concepts and the idea of getting to see more of that and Soul Society operations/life rather than endless asspull powerups for Ichigo would be far more appealing to me.

But yeah, there are some awesome minor characters hanging around but there's simply no time to give them all time in the spotlight.

• Locked thread