Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zylche posted:

You take that back right now, XBMC is already more associated with this mess than it should be :colbert:

To be fair, I didn't say it was a GOOD attempt. Okay, it looks more like an Evolution-X skin. How's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Thoughts from an OUYA backer:
http://coffeegeek.tumblr.com/post/46622612558/concerns-about-ouya

quote:

I won’t be handing my credit card information over to Ouya. So as a result, I guess I bought an expensive, $170 brick (I bought the limited edition metal one with extra controllers). I’ll have to wait until someone fully hacks the device to run stock Android.

Shame on you, Ouya. This looks to be another of a growing list of Kickstarter projects that have been serious let downs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The sleepers are awakening! The prophecy has begun to be fulfilled!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

There are a lot of annoyed backers, it's glorious. I can't wait until they get audited for PCI DSS compliance. :allears:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tarranon posted:

I would love three things cleared up

Why is RED the 100% Brony shooter

Think of it as a sort of seal of quality.
Take a scenario where you're navigating the OUYA store. You say to yourself, "I'm looking for a game that suits the taste of a grown man that likes TV shows targeted at little girls." You can't guarantee that any of those other games on the storefront are 100% Brony. Some of them may be as low as 30% Brony. That's dangerously low.

Unless you meant why are we calling RED "100% Brony"?

It's in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5moED9qfHU

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

DalaranJ posted:

It's in the trailer:

Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question of "Why is RED the 100% Brony shooter?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zylche posted:

There are a lot of annoyed backers, it's glorious. I can't wait until they get audited for PCI DSS compliance.

We can only help they get as serious about a class-action lawsuit as they got about playing N64-era quality games with a LEGO brick and bonus input lag.

I love the optimism with which Ur-Man says that YOLATENGO "gift cards" will be carried at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. Who wants to bet they haven't actually talked to those companies about it at all?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

packetgrinder posted:

Yes, but that still doesn't answer the question of "Why is RED the 100% Brony shooter?"

They had an awful trailer where some red square (the main character???) puts on sunglasses that say "100% brony".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5moED9qfHU

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

JazzFlight posted:

The sleepers are awakening! The prophecy has begun to be fulfilled!

The MUAD'DIB is indeed a weirding module, but its killing word is more of the self-destructive kind that blows up in your face and keeps your CC info in perpetuity.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

precision posted:

I love the optimism with which Ur-Man says that YOLATENGO "gift cards" will be carried at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. Who wants to bet they haven't actually talked to those companies about it at all?

Even if they are, that only really helps the US market - I don't think Best Buy even exists in my country, and the only GameStop I know of closed down about three years ago.

packetgrinder posted:

Autism.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DalaranJ posted:

It's in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5moED9qfHU

Watching the trailers, I see someone finally had the idea to make a workplace mass shooting sim.

Not surprised it would be a brony.

Also I don't want to play as some block dude's exploded thyroid. Eww.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

precision posted:

I'm sure they'll totally send them some to put on the shelfs, just like they sent "Minecraft" a unit to develop Minecraft with.

This is 2013 man, you don't loving talk to people, you just send them poo poo and they know what to do with it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

packetgrinder posted:

Because Bronys need to put pony references in everything, and the creator of that game is clearly gunning for the retarded manbaby demographic.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Breetai posted:

Because Bronys need to put pony references in everything, and the creator of that game is clearly gunning for the retarded manbaby demographic.

As he made a twin stick shooter and is charging $4.99 for it, I doubt he's going to have much demographic at all.

Seriously - I MADE A GAEM WITH ZOMBIES IN IT on XBLIG (which is better than it sounds, honest!) was $1, and that guy wrote a highly entertaining song that is basically the only reason his game has done well. There's no way RED has that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, speaking of Gamestop...

You can order your ACHOO from them (of course you can). The best part, though: the reviews:

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/ouya-game-console/107853#reviews

quote:

THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING GAME CONSOLE EVER!!! I ALWAYS WANTED A GAME CONSOLE THAT WAS BOTH AWESOME AND AFFORDABLE.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

packetgrinder posted:

Actually I think they're on to something. I would like it if all future game releases disclosed just how much brony is in a game. Like an ESRB rating. I don't want too much brony in my game.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

Liquid Penguins posted:

They had an awful trailer where some red square (the main character???) puts on sunglasses that say "100% brony".

Yes but why why why

:smith: Why.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's Ouya-developer master Dreamzle's game; which is on that list for sale right now: The Secret of Universe Alpha (not sure if that's the name of the universe or the build).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniKH9Yfl5Y

Perfect music selection.

I think I've spent too much time in this thread, I think I need to buy a AAA twin-stick shooter knock off to remember what textures look like

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

Madcosby posted:

Here's Ouya-developer master Dreamzle's game; which is on that list for sale right now: The Secret of Universe Alpha (not sure if that's the name of the universe or the build).

"Could not fetch app info (errorCode 2005, errorMessage Invalid app Uuid was provided)" is probably the best part.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Breetai posted:

That seems to be Ouya's target demographic as well.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

packetgrinder posted:

"Could not fetch app info (errorCode 2005, errorMessage Invalid app Uuid was provided)" is probably the best part.

I liked "Press Button"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Oh man, speaking of Gamestop...

You can order your ACHOO from them (of course you can). The best part, though: the reviews:

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/ouya-game-console/107853#reviews

These comments are gold.

quote:

I've never heard of this system before. I wonder what games it will have on it. This could be one of the best systems in gaming.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I don't feel like catching up to 2000+ posts. Has the OUYA killed the evil big 3 yet?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Waffleman_ posted:

"This game is bad, but it's good at it's overpriced. More games need to be expensive."

Do you even listen to yourself.

I know that you're being sarcastic, but that is actually a pretty concise & clear summary of what I was saying. Basically, I'm just glad to see a developer with clout release a $5+ game, because I think that's a good influence for the OUYA market.

Game devaluation really is a serious problem. Now, so far it's been limited mostly to the mobile space. It's very hard to sell your game on the App Store at above $.99, for instance. That's not good for developers, since it means you can only make money by selling a huge volume of games. Now expectation for mobile platforms has already been set that anything more than $.99 for a game is expensive. Square & other publishers can release games at a higher price, and that will help change it. But it's much easier to change expectations that haven't fully formed yet, like on OUYA.

So there's two reasons I'm glad to see FFIII priced at $15.

First, I'm glad a developer with clout is selling games in the $5-$15 range, regardless of quality, purely for the sake of creating more flexible price expectations.

Second, and more specific to this game, I'm glad to see FFIII sold at $15 because it indicates that if Square brings more games to OUYA, they might be willing to price those games that high, too.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

packetgrinder posted:

Yes but why why why

:smith: Why.

I did a bad job of answering your question but hopefully this attempt might work.

The developer(s?) lives in south africa.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Charging a price for a game that is grossly higher than it should be is not a good influence on the ouya market. Are you insane?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

XboxPants posted:

First, I'm glad a developer with clout is selling games in the $5-$15 range, regardless of quality, purely for the sake of creating more flexible price expectations.

Let me get this straight, you want companies to set the precedent for titles to be expensive (even if they suck) so that all future games which suck can be priced highly? This is what you are saying, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still don't understand why higher prices are good. Do you think that if the prices are higher, the big boys will think Ouya is cool?

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

quote:

will also include computer games such as diablo and bring the to the t.v. as well and I know I'm not the only person expecting that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Liquid Penguins posted:

I did a bad job of answering your question but hopefully this attempt might work.

The developer(s?) lives in south africa.

I don't really follow, so I assume you mean that South Africans desperately want to play cellphone games on their TVs.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Madcosby posted:

Bullets that match the background texture - good design choice for a shooter.

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't feel like catching up to 2000+ posts. Has the OUYA killed the evil big 3 yet?

Yeah.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Charging a price for a game that is grossly higher than it should be is not a good influence on the ouya market. Are you insane?

He actually has a point. Think about it: what's the target demographic for OUYA Marketplace? That's right, morons. Once developers realise that anybody with an OUYA will blindly throw money at loving anything, there'll be all kinds of new games appearing!

Nothing actually good, obviously, since it's a tiny market, but that's by the by.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I still don't understand why higher prices are good. Do you think that if the prices are higher, the big boys will think Ouya is cool?

He doesnt want the Ouya to end up like mobile game markets where everything has to be 0.99 or f2p.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

illiniguy01 posted:

He doesnt want the Ouya to end up like mobile game markets where everything has to be 0.99 or f2p.

Except he's the one who pointed out that Square charge that much on mobile markets anyway.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Dex posted:

Except he's the one who pointed out that Square charge that much on mobile markets anyway.

He is bad at making points but I'm pretty sure that was his point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

XboxPants posted:

Game devaluation really is a serious problem. Now, so far it's been limited mostly to the mobile space. It's very hard to sell your game on the App Store at above $.99, for instance

This is because most poo poo on the App Store is barely even worth 99 cents, not because of ~game devaluation~.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Game devaluation is not a serious problem at all, dude. It's not a problem at all. It doesn't even exist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plus there are plenty of Android games that cost $5 or more. Hell even Kairosoft games cost $5 and they're a company made up of like a dozen people.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XboxPants posted:

Second, and more specific to this game, I'm glad to see FFIII sold at $15 because it indicates that if Square brings more games to OUYA, they might be willing to price those games that high, too.

This is a stupid thing to say. You are stupid.

Charging a hugely inflated price on a bad product is not a good influence on any market. It is not a good thing in any context. It is a bad thing.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The problem with video games is we don't pay enough for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

XboxPants posted:

What the gently caress? Are you insane?

• Locked thread