Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~
I don't know whether I'll be called an rear end for this or not, but honestly I'm not interested in another translation that removes references to GCCX wherever possible. I know XSEED work hard or whatever, but the way they do things kind of defeats the purpose for me. I'd much rather wait months and years for whatever the fan translation crew is cooking up, since they don't have to make it appeal to non-fans at the expense of fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

SpaceGodzilla posted:

I don't know whether I'll be called an rear end for this or not, but honestly I'm not interested in another translation that removes references to GCCX wherever possible. I know XSEED work hard or whatever, but the way they do things kind of defeats the purpose for me. I'd much rather wait months and years for whatever the fan translation crew is cooking up, since they don't have to make it appeal to non-fans at the expense of fans.

My point in showing that GCCX has a lot of fans is so that they won't HAVE to do that. Not to mention, they didn't remove much. They took out Arino's voice overs (most of which, you wouldn't understand anyway) and pictures of the ADs. I'm fairly certain they did that the time because they were marketing the game for retro game fans, since GCCX didn't have a following.

Now that it does, they would likely leave the ADs and whatnot in the game. At most, they might take out Arino's voiceovers again, because they're in Japanese.

And you should be happy to support GCCX any way you can, and how that it spreads far and wide. That's the only way the series is going to get big.

Also, regarding XSEED not being able to make those kinds of decisions? Corpse Party was a venture that was completely started by XSEED. Someone at the company was a fan of it, got everyone at the company interested, so they pursued it. It is possible for this kind of thing to happen. And wouldn't you guys be happy with an eShop release rather than nothing at all?

AzraelDarkheart fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 29, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
They should dub all of Arinos lines into english again for the sequel. They should get Arino to do it himself.

WACH OUT
ZATS JUST SADO
UUUWOAH!

Everything will be in Arinos patented ALL CAPS speech.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If memory serves, releasing Retro Game Challenge 2 State-side was contingent on them selling a certain number of copies of the 1st game in English, which didn't happen. They needed to sell like 100 000 copies.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

univbee posted:

If memory serves, releasing Retro Game Challenge 2 State-side was contingent on them selling a certain number of copies of the 1st game in English, which didn't happen. They needed to sell like 100 000 copies.

Just because a company says something like that doesn't mean it's going to always be that way.

Remember when Nintendo said we weren't getting games like Xenoblade Chronicles? Fan response to that made them change their minds. And guess who was behind getting most of the Project Rainfall games? XSEED. So they're a decent bet when it comes to this kinda work.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Gutcruncher posted:

They should dub all of Arinos lines into english again for the sequel. They should get Arino to do it himself.

WACH OUT
ZATS JUST SADO
UUUWOAH!

Everything will be in Arinos patented ALL CAPS speech.

This is something I could get behind.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Just because a company says something like that doesn't mean it's going to always be that way.

Remember when Nintendo said we weren't getting games like Xenoblade Chronicles? Fan response to that made them change their minds. And guess who was behind getting most of the Project Rainfall games? XSEED. So they're a decent bet when it comes to this kinda work.

The difference being that the Wii still has/had some fumes to run on and those were high-profile-enough games. There's (almost) literally no new DS games coming out anywhere.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for a bit of a side trip. During a Genki TV marathon broadcast Arino appeared for an extended interview segment where he talks all about his US fans. Are you ready to know what he says about you?

This bonus was brought to you by zari-gani who can translate for 34 hours straight. And now we've got proofreading by the indomitable Hirayuki.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 341.33 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
XSEED is never going to bring over the second GCCX game. Every time they're asked about it they talk about how expensive/time-consuming it was to negotiate with all the different license holders and how it didn't pay off, and how they can't really justify bringing over the second game as a result.

It's not at all comparable to the Operation Rainfall games, which were already translated, had only one license holder and already had a built-in audience due to a huge grassroots campaign.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Wow cool! I love all the special segments you all find time to translate.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
Well, to be fair GCCX was pretty much unknown when the game was translated. I didn't know about the show at all when I heard of the game, which was online. I never saw the game sold around me in Canada, not even sure if it was released here to be honest.

The show is definitely recognized a great deal more now and I'm sure it would have done a lot better if it had been released recently, but I'm still not sure if it's quite where it would need to be to to really be successful. The fan translations have done a lot of good, even bringing a dvd over but I think it's still fairly niche at this point. I think they could get a lot more recognition if they manage to get onto a decent VOD service, but that isn't looking great at the moment.

Trying to get the first game on the Eshop might be a better idea.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I personally think that all the Operation Rainfall games were already in the cards to be released and the petition itself did jack squat in convincing the companies to release it (it might have convinced more people to pick it up once it was released, but not the actual business decision to release the game in the US), so that's probably not a good example to use.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The DS is a dead system. You're better off hoping that there is a third game for the 3DS that can be brought over instead.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Mister Chief posted:

The DS is a dead system. You're better off hoping that there is a third game for the 3DS that can be brought over instead.

the DS is far from dead

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
I'm working on the download, but i'm excited to see what Arino thinks of our loving selves

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bpc908 posted:

the DS is far from dead

There have been no DS games released this year and in all of 2012 there were five games released. And three of those were Pokémon ganes.

Stick a fork in the DS, it's done.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Piracy destroyed the profitability of niche DS games (and even mainstream ones) years ago.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

bpc908 posted:

the DS is far from dead

Not as far as you might think. Is there any significant development effort still devoted to it? Are there any big games on the release calendar either here or Japan?

Its numbers can only go down from here on out. That said, yeah, those numbers are pretty high, so it'll take a while for them to dwindle to zero. But (almost) no one is going to release a game for a platform with a clearly defined downward trend.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
It's kind of a shame that the second game will never get an English-language release.

I imported the game and stumbled my way through it despite not speaking a lick of Japanese and while I had fun with the actual game, since it is a bit of a step up from the first game, I always felt like I was missing out by not being able to read the dialogue.

Also, the game is really not import-friendly in the slightest. Japanese adventure games and RPG's are sort of impenetrable unless you're absurdly persistent or use some kind of guide like I did.

We can always bank our hopes into the fan translation. Which hasn't updated since January but that's not long enough for me to count them out as dead.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

TemporalParadox posted:

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. Although, I imagine they could even do something like Game Room on the 360 or any of the new downloadable pinball games where you download the base for free and each game is treated like a piece of DLC where you buy them separately for a couple bucks each. That way, if they wanted to make new games or even toss some RGC 2 games in there, it wouldn't be very hard nor expensive to do.

The only problem is that there probably won't be a story mode (unless the base game was the original game with story mode intact), but I wouldn't mind sacrificing that for a downloadable version of the rest of RGC and possibly RGC2. :)

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

That was rather charming, thanks team!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Piracy destroyed the profitability of niche DS games (and even mainstream ones) years ago.

Well I don't know about outright destroyed, but I'm sure it didn't help.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

We can always bank our hopes into the fan translation. Which hasn't updated since January but that's not long enough for me to count them out as dead.

Well there are plenty of things that can hang up game translations and a couple months isn't terribly long, hopefully it's still in the works.
Zari-gani had mentioned joining the team in some regard, any chance of a confirmation if it's alive?

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

TemporalParadox posted:

This is more along the lines of what I meant. I'm aware that the DS is basically dead. But the 3DS isn't. And it has happened in the past that a good game will get localized and put on the next generation system (example: Phoenix Wright. The first game was a GBA title, but it was brought over as a DS game in English).

And I also like the idea of getting the first game on the eShop.

The point is: contact XSEED. Let them know that Game Center CX fans want the games! Let them know that there is a large fan base who would all pay them money to get the second game!

Saying "it's never going to come over" is not going to make anything better. Even if you THINK that, contact XSEED anyway. It's one of those things where the more people we get to do it, the higher the chance of it working is. Mention the idea of putting the first game on the eShop to test the waters. They're already done with that one so it would likely be very low cost to them. If they do it? Everyone goes out and buys it to show support for the series, and maybe we'll get the second one!

Also, thanks for the new release! Downloading it now. :D

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It absolutely wouldn't be "low cost" to put the game on the eShop. Just releasing the game at all requires licenses from Fuji TV, Namco and indieszero, and on top of that they'd have to pay indieszero to port the game to 3DS, and then there are all the hidden fees like minimum number guarantees or whatever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AzraelDarkheart posted:

This is more along the lines of what I meant. I'm aware that the DS is basically dead. But the 3DS isn't. And it has happened in the past that a good game will get localized and put on the next generation system (example: Phoenix Wright. The first game was a GBA title, but it was brought over as a DS game in English).

Just as a point here, the original Phoenix Wright GBA game wasn't brought over as a DS game in English. There was a remake in Japanese for the DS and that game was localized. It's not like they decided to bring out a GBA game on the DS for international markets like you're implying.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are there even original DS games on the eshop?

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Mister Chief posted:

I don't think so.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Random Stranger posted:

Just as a point here, the original Phoenix Wright GBA game wasn't brought over as a DS game in English. There was a remake in Japanese for the DS and that game was localized. It's not like they decided to bring out a GBA game on the DS for international markets like you're implying.

Yes, but the second and third game were both ported to the DS with the international market in mind because of the unexpected success of the first game. That's the big difference though; Phoenix Wright was actually successful.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mister Chief posted:

No, so like I said, they'd have to convince the devs to port the game to 3DS which obviously wouldn't be cheap (and probably wouldn't even be their call to make).

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Saying "it's never going to come over" is not going to make anything better. Even if you THINK that, contact XSEED anyway. It's one of those things where the more people we get to do it, the higher the chance of it working is. Mention the idea of putting the first game on the eShop to test the waters. They're already done with that one so it would likely be very low cost to them. If they do it? Everyone goes out and buys it to show support for the series, and maybe we'll get the second one!

XSEED also didn't actually make it, nor otherwise hold the keys to the kingdom.

For the record, we're not TRYING to sound like downer dickholes shutting down everything you say (well, I'm not), but it's just facts. Yes, those games could always show up again and make another chance for localization, but I can't predict the future.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 30, 2013

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Ciaphas posted:

dead to me

... ok it wasn't for everyone but damnit it was a good game!! :(
It had it's points I will give that.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Dragon Quarter is still a good game. You just have to go into it with the right mindset. If you think of it as a traditional BoF game, you're going to leave disappointed. If you go in thinking of it as a weird cousin of the Roguelike RPG genre with a BoF story? You might enjoy it (unless you hate Roguelikes).
I tried to like it even with that mindset and I really enjoy Roguelikes. Hell I love running through Baroque and the likes. It's just there was so much in terms of bad that I couldn't really look past. I consider myself to have a high tolerance for "Bad games" or just ill received games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quarter was the only good one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Take that back and commit seppuku

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Them's fightin' words! :argh:

In more on-topic news, thanks for the new release, team!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just got done watching the interview video. That middle guy seems like he's really into the show, but I feel kinda bad for the older guy who has that sweet sounding projector setup, but doesn't play any games (hopefully he did start after the special ended). :smith:

Even though it wasn't an actual episode, it was still awesome watching it. Thank you once again, SAGCCX. :)

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Even though Game Center CX is great, I didn't like Retro Game Challenge one bit. Is the sequel worth a drat?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Soulcleaver posted:

Even though Game Center CX is great, I didn't like Retro Game Challenge one bit. Is the sequel worth a drat?

What did you not like about the first one? If you just didnt particularly like the games themselves, then it's at least worth looking at videos and stuff of the new games. If you didnt like the way Arino forced you to do challenges to unlock more games, theres a way to skip challenges in the second one. If you just didnt like the whole 'old games but not really' thing, then the second one wont be for you either.

Edit: Ill describe the games

Wiz-Man (Game Computer): Dotmunching like Pac-Man, but you pick up magic wands to kill enemies. There are two types of magic wands, fire and ice. Certain enemies can only be killed by one or the other, and you can only eat the dots the same color as the wand you are holding. Naturally, there are two dot colors.

Super Kung Fu Fighting (...Turbografx?): Sorta like Kung Fu and has really nice Karateka animation. When you defeat enemies with a strong blow, you toss their bodies and if they hit other dudes those dudes die and drop a powerup. Has annoying birds, and a Vs Arino mode.

Demon Returns (Game Computer): Side scroller where you jump on stuff and hit stuff, but with a really fun gimmick where you jump on flipped over enemies and ride them around like a top at super speeds. You need to constantly collect apples to keep your apple meter from depleting. Like Mario, you break blocks for items to make you grow.

The Chief is a Great Detective 1 & 2 (Game Computer Floppy Drive System): Text adventures that I cant play because of all those strange symbols. They have a delightful approximation of the real Famicom Disk System startup sequence.

Gun Duel (Game Computer): Another SHOOTIN poo poo WITH SPACESHIPS game by Tomato. In this one you can collect two weapons at a time, with one acting as a primary and one secondary. Hit a button and the two guns you have switch roles. Guns act differently depending on whether theyre primary or secondary. In two player mode, you and Arino can combine (with a large flashing GATTAI) into an amazing death machine.

Triotos (Game Computer mini): Falling block color matching. Its a lot like Puyo Pop, but you can only match in straight lines and if you manage to match horizontally across the whole field, you eliminate all of that color. Has Endless mode and Vs mode.

Guadia Quest Saga (Game Computer mini Color): Another game that they insisted on not making in English instead for some reason. I cant really comment on it, but hey if you liked Guadia Quest the first time around heres another one!

Super Demon Returns (Super Game Computer): Demon Returns but bigger, prettier, and all around awesomer. Has a save feature so you can skip ahead to stages you have already played. Even the title screen is all Mode7 and poo poo!

Ah but that's not all, theres also a game store you can go to a loiter at instead of spending money! They have games you can play there too.

Cosmic Gate (MASA-X): It's Cosmic Gate, but prettier and better sounding.

Robot Ninja Haggleman Koume Version (Game Computer): A new version of Haggleman were you play as the girl! It never ends, it just keeps going forever!

Rally King ex Time Trial (Game Computer): Its Rally King but a time trial! Has selectable engine classes.

Star Prince Score Attack Version (Game Computer): Star Prince but a score attack! No way! Select 3 minutes or 5 minutes and start attacking some scores.

Triotos DX (Super Game Computer): Triotos but in color, pretty graphics and sound, changing backdrops, and a Piece Hold like modern Tetris games.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 30, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The visuals and the general pace of the game made me want to eat my own intestines, which is not a thing I normally desire to do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dragon Quarter is the DmC of the PS2 era.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the interview segment. Funny reactions on the hosts on Arino's popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rdbbb posted:

For the record, we're not TRYING to sound like downer dickholes shutting down everything you say (well, I'm not), but it's just facts. Yes, those games could always show up again and make another chance for localization, but I can't predict the future.

I think this is really often misunderstood.
When people say "there's no chance", or basically that in different phrasing, they're not doing it to rain on someone's parade, they're being realistic. The game's four years old, niche as all hell, a collection of mini-games aside, we're entering a new console generation on the home consoles front, and a year or two into the new generation of handhelds. XSEED are likely looking to work on 3DS and Vita, and maybe looking to scoop some PS4/Durango games if they can that will have an active market in the west. I doubt they'd have the spare funds to finance a GCCX2 translation even if they could guarantee everyone in this thread would buy it.

You'd be better off sending messages of support to the people doing the fan translation. I'm sure they'd love to know that their work is highly appreciated and anticipated.