Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A feature that took two years of internal development I might add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Terper posted:

Augh I'm just so tired of all this bullshit at this point.

How in the literal hell do you mess that up by changing the game's region? That work was already done! It doesn't need to be touched again for a release in the same language! Is there something I'm missing, or is that seriously as terrible as it looks?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Terper posted:

Augh I'm just so tired of all this bullshit at this point.

I didn't get this at first but then I realized what was wrong and my jaw just loving dropped. Amazing.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 30, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Please tell me, if nothing else, that 3DS games will be hacked soon just so we can see how the gently caress they managed to gently caress this up so badly.

VVVV: Basically, the PAL version reverses your first and last names. So if you decided to name yourself, say, "Harry Potter", the game would refer to you as "Potter Harry".

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 30, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think I'm retarded: I read all text on that image thrice and have no idea what's wrong specifically.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Read it again, until you get it. No spoilers.

Shoopuf posted:

How in the literal hell do you mess that up by changing the game's region? That work was already done! It doesn't need to be touched again for a release in the same language! Is there something I'm missing, or is that seriously as terrible as it looks?

And once again, this is not a bug hidden somewhere deep in the code that takes very specific conditions to reproduce: You start the game, you name your dude, it's hosed. This is the amount of QA needed to find this bug.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I think I'm retarded: I read all text on that image thrice and have no idea what's wrong specifically.

Naoya is the main character's cousin, and they share the same last name.

Try checking the image again.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Len posted:

On an unrelated note: How long is Luigi's Mansion? It's getting good reviews but so did the Gamecube version and that was criminally short. I don't really want to drop $40 on a new game just to have it be an afternoon of play time.

It took me 18 hours 44 minutes to complete. I did a ton of searching for stuff and screwed around a lot but still, it's a decent length.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Katana Gomai posted:

Read it again, until you get it. No spoilers.

And once again, this is not a bug hidden somewhere deep in the code that takes very specific conditions to reproduce: You start the game, you name your dude, it's hosed. This is the amount of QA needed to find this bug.

Read it again until you get it. I'm asking how Ghostlight hosed that up when the name scheme was already set from the American release.

... unless you're just quoting me to highlight how stupid it is. :downs: In which case, I don't think I'll ever get over the incompetence in that. I'm so sorry, Eurogoons.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
So, I was unfamiliar with Ghostlight, but I already hate them. Is there any chance of them patching this mess?

My order hasn't shipped yet, and I'd like to know if I should just cancel it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm not sure if I should be happy that we're actually getting an Atlus game released here or not.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Not Operator posted:

So, I was unfamiliar with Ghostlight, but I already hate them. Is there any chance of them patching this mess?

My order hasn't shipped yet, and I'd like to know if I should just cancel it.

It took them two years to give us this, I don't think they're able to patch themselves out of a wet paperbag.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Now I feel bad for unwrapping the game.

I opened my copy earlier today, and now I wish I hadn't. I can't believe it took Ghostlight this long to release it and they didn't even bother with basic QA.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Well, it is a reasonably sought after game with an insanely low print run so just stash it for a year and sell it for a profit. Whatever bugs are hidden in that game will have been forgotten by then.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Someone obviously mislabeled/mistranslated the "LAST NAME" and "FIRST NAME" tags.
In Japanese, the family name comes first, then the given name, so the name input sequence would've been to enter the last name, and then the first name.
By mislabeling those two text entry windows, you get reversed names.

No QA at all, I guess.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How was it even an issue though. How did this even happen in the first place. Unless they somehow got the Japanese version and had to replace all the text with the American version like some loving awful hack job.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Someone obviously mislabeled/mistranslated the "LAST NAME" and "FIRST NAME" tags.
In Japanese, the family name comes first, then the given name, so the name input sequence would've been to enter the last name, and then the first name.
By mislabeling those two text entry windows, you get reversed names.

No QA at all, I guess.

I checked the NDS version, but the NA version has the first and last names in the same order. I guess someone just didn't change the flags from the JP version?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ghostlight being absolutely terrible at localization isn't all that shocking. I've seen pictures and footage of their hackjob with the PS3 Agarest War game, where somewhere around the halfway point they start breaking down with horrible grammar, spelling, and a general lack of effort (i.e. huge dialogue boxes with only "OK" written in them). They even apologized about how bad it was and did some sort of sob story about how they couldn't be as "good" as the bigger and richer localization companies (when comparing themselves to loving Aksys of all people)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Policenaut posted:

Ghostlight being absolutely terrible at localization isn't all that shocking. I've seen pictures and footage of their hackjob with the PS3 Agarest War game, where somewhere around the halfway point they start breaking down with horrible grammar, spelling, and a general lack of effort (i.e. huge dialogue boxes with only "OK" written in them). They even apologized about how bad it was and did some sort of sob story about how they couldn't be as "good" as the bigger and richer localization companies (when comparing themselves to loving Aksys of all people)

Oh I remember that. Didn't they translate "Fourth Generation" as "Force Generation"?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Please tell me, if nothing else, that 3DS games will be hacked soon just so we can see how the gently caress they managed to gently caress this up so badly.

I would hazard a guess that we are still years away from anything substantial to do things like that. The only hack that was publicly known(in the sence a homebrew dev announced they found one) was patched out, and that was only because nintendo forgot to encrypt early 3DS game saves. There was no hacking of the cartridges themselves so it is still quite secure.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

If they took 2 years to translate the Japanese version to English when there was already a 100% translated American version then that's beyond incompetent. It's aggressively terrible. Like straying into being terrible on purpose.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a reason why they had to translate it to UK English instead of just using the American translation? I imagine you just have to add a few Us here and there and can call it a day.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a reason why they had to translate it to UK English instead of just using the American translation? I imagine you just have to add a few Us here and there and can call it a day.

Ah, but here's the fun part: Apparently they didn't. US version shots:

How the gently caress does this happen?!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

noirstronaut posted:

I would wager they have to translate internally unless they want to pay to license the American translation, assuming Atlus(?) would even allow them to.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of the Adventure Time game, I have yet to hear if the DS version is a DSi-enhanced game and thus region-locked or what. Can anyone confirm?

It's not, go ahead and import it.

noirstronaut posted:

They probably didn't want to license Atlus USA's translation (or Atlus wouldn't let them).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Startyde posted:

I would wager they have to translate internally unless they want to pay to license the American translation, assuming Atlus(?) would even allow them to.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They probably didn't want to license Atlus USA's translation (or Atlus wouldn't let them).

Look at those US version comparison shots a few posts up. Unless those couple screens just randomly happened to match up exactly, word choice and linebreak location and all, they did use Atlus USA's translation.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

My guess is they have the translated script but not the source code to go with that translation. Again, loving stupid but it would explain why there are fundamental programming errors.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Look at those US version comparison shots a few posts up. Unless those couple screens just randomly happened to match up exactly, word choice and linebreak location and all, they did use Atlus USA's translation.

Sure, but did they officially license it from Atlus USA or did they just manually transcribe it from the US version and attempt to hack it in themselves? It seems impossible to gently caress up a straight cut/paste job without it being deliberate.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Which would cost more? I don't see how having a team of translators work for 2 years is somehow cheaper than just licensing an already translated game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

manually transcribe it from the US version and attempt to hack it in themselves?

That would be illegal though, wouldn't it?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

homeless snail posted:

Haven't seen much talk about the Adventure Time game in here, probably rightfully so since its a mediocre kids game, but I gotta say as someone that really enjoys Wayforward and Adventure Time I found it loving delightful. Its Wayforward doing what Wayforward does best, so its full of awesome spritework and music paired with some amazing writing from Pen Ward. Its a 4 hour long fetch quest, but at least I had fun ogling the art and laughing at everything else.

Its sub-$20 these days and I think its totally worth it if you're into cool looking sprites, children's cartoons, or Zelda 2.

I think you're hosed, sorry. Deleting the game takes out the save file, some games just occasionally leave behind "extra data" that's accounted for separately.

Thanks for this minireview. I'm going to pick it up. Me and my many children love Adventure time so I think was wondering how good it was. Hows the 3d because we have 2 3ds and a ds so if there's nothing there it would be easiest to get the ds version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That would be illegal though, wouldn't it?

It would.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, this site has a few decent deals on at the moment, plus free shipping for orders over $49:

Paper Mario Sticker Star - $29

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Brain Age: Concentration Training - $25

Style Savvy: Trendsetters - $25

Fire Emblem Awakening - $23.99

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $23.99

Adventure Time 3DS - $19.48

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yo NA dudes, this site has a few decent deals on at the moment, plus free shipping for orders over $49:

Paper Mario Sticker Star - $29

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Brain Age: Concentration Training - $25

Style Savvy: Trendsetters - $25

Fire Emblem Awakening - $23.99

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $23.99

Adventure Time 3DS - $19.48

Almost $10 shipping if you are out of state. I guess it's good for Nebraska Goons though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The free shipping thing only works in-state?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is a store pickup option for free, but the big FREE SHIPPING thing at the top is for select items.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bombadilillo posted:

Thanks for this minireview. I'm going to pick it up. Me and my many children love Adventure time so I think was wondering how good it was. Hows the 3d because we have 2 3ds and a ds so if there's nothing there it would be easiest to get the ds version.

There's an Adventure Time demo on the 3DS e-shop. I think the 3d is pretty well done and works well with the sprites.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I bet most of these will not go through.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm still a bit interested in this translation thing. How would Atlus (or however translated it) know that their translation was ripped off? Would it be small things like the translation saying "You're smelly!" instead of a literal translation that says "You smell bad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

There is a store pickup option for free, but the big FREE SHIPPING thing at the top is for select items.

I checked with my Ohio address, and orders over $49 do indeed have free shipping. The "Free Delivery" ad is just on the Electronics page and is different from the Free Shipping advertised at the top.

• Locked thread