Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Rubicon posted:

TSW had the best dungeons I have ever played. Few trash mobs and really intersting boss fights. Hopefully, Wildstar can pull off something like that.

If the content was so good, why is it that it didn't do well? At least my local friends say they didn't enjoy it, I know this isn't TSW thread, but if its using the same mechanics and people enjoyed it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Bardlebee posted:

If the content was so good, why is it that it didn't do well? At least my local friends say they didn't enjoy it, I know this isn't TSW thread, but if its using the same mechanics and people enjoyed it...

Because:
- Funcom, which turned some people away before trying
- Animations could be a bit wonky
- No endgame unless you like running dungeons nonstop
- Was very unique in a lot of ways. Despite goons saying they want change, most people are too stupid to figure things out, like equipping a 2nd weapon in the 2nd weapon slot.
- Chat system and some quests were buggy at launch due to large amounts of people.

It launched as sub, so didn't get a population rush with very little buildup. It actually had a bunch of people at launch, but for some reason Funcom thought it was going to do a million subs with little promotion. It did something like 350k, which I thought appropriate. It's F2p model is very forgiving, and it's story/gameplay are awesome. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't played it, to play it. It's enjoyable even if just treated as a single player adventure game.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Eltoasto posted:

Because:
- Funcom, which turned some people away before trying
- Animations could be a bit wonky
- No endgame unless you like running dungeons nonstop
- Was very unique in a lot of ways. Despite goons saying they want change, most people are too stupid to figure things out, like equipping a 2nd weapon in the 2nd weapon slot.
- Chat system and some quests were buggy at launch due to large amounts of people.

It launched as sub, so didn't get a population rush with very little buildup. It actually had a bunch of people at launch, but for some reason Funcom thought it was going to do a million subs with little promotion. It did something like 350k, which I thought appropriate. It's F2p model is very forgiving, and it's story/gameplay are awesome. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't played it, to play it. It's enjoyable even if just treated as a single player adventure game.

I showed some of my friends the video of gameplay and their response was that it looked button-mashy. I disagree from my perspective, that is about Wildstar. I am pretty excited about this game and I like what I see for the combat. I am hoping the tells become quicker though, those tells sat there for like 5 minutes and you could leisurely walk out of the way. Though if you look at the boss fight in the recent video, you'll notice the bosses tell is quite faster and look challenging. I think the normal mobs will have slow tells and the bosses will be very quick.

Just a guess.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Bardlebee posted:

TSW did have by far the best dungeons. It didn't do well cause people never even got that far in the game. Most hated the combat before they reached dungeons. TSW released when GW2 was coming out so most people wrote it off. It also didnt have a lfd tool so you had to find groups.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Draynar posted:

TSW did have by far the best dungeons. It didn't do well cause people never even got that far in the game. Most hated the combat before they reached dungeons. TSW released when GW2 was coming out so most people wrote it off. It also didnt have a lfd tool so you had to find groups.

Yeah, I loving hated TSW combat and I thought everything about it felt terrible but the dungeons were pretty much perfect. Every MMO should steal them.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I thought the combat was fine (not the best) but the terrible poo poo poo poo poo poo flash UI is what turned me off big time.

Edit: Wildstar looks pretty interesting, but I'm waiting for release/F2P, too many lovely MMO pre-purchases in the past for me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

That was really TSW's downfall. If the combat is subpar then it pulls you away from the really awesome narrative they built up. The story and the dungeons in that game were amazing, but because the rest of it fell flat the story was pulled down too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd honestly say that TSW did the whole narrated quest thing better than TOR did, but everyone else has already pointed out its major flaws.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
You people are making me want to check out TSW.

RottenK fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 1, 2013

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone have info on how factions work? My main concern is faction game play tends to split the pve player base up for no real reason hurting longevity of game. (Lets be honest as well servers end up with one faction only generally anyways)

Can't find anything definite but it seems like they might be going the route of no communication/grouping with other factions which would be terrible.

Games like GW2 and TSW did this right. Factions make no difference for pve and only come into effect for pvp.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

RottenK posted:

I'm checking it out again and it's actually kinda fun!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The videos and dev interviews make the Exiles and Dominion look like vanilla WoW Alliance and Horde. It is unclear if there are shared quests at higher levels. They have mainly demonstrated a newbie zone storyline where the Dominion characters have to take down an Exile shield generator.

I will wait to see how they handle things, but I tend to agree about split factions. They do not even have PvP as an excuse. A dev said that PvP will be battlegrounds only in one of those PAX videos.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Ya the faction thing if they treat like vanilla wow is even more confusing if you think about those war plots sound a lot like guild vs guild type warfare unrelated to factions at all.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

RottenK posted:

Check it out. They really improved things from beta/release. The biggest issue with TSW is you actually have to learn the game. The first zone is quite easy, but by the time you get to the final zone you need to have a good understanding of the mechanics and the game isn't holding your hand at that point.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

grrarg posted:

The videos and dev interviews make the Exiles and Dominion look like vanilla WoW Alliance and Horde. It is unclear if there are shared quests at higher levels. They have mainly demonstrated a newbie zone storyline where the Dominion characters have to take down an Exile shield generator.

I will wait to see how they handle things, but I tend to agree about split factions. They do not even have PvP as an excuse. A dev said that PvP will be battlegrounds only in one of those PAX videos.

So I'm stupid and can't tell if you think split factions are good or bad. My reading comprehension sucks this morning.

I will say that I think that it sounds like they're handling it well to me, mainly by making factions purely flavor instead of having actual tangible rewards for being on the "winning" faction on your server (I'm looking at you, tol barad and wintergrasp). As long as the server pop is high enough on both sides so everyone can do what they want to, there's no real problem with it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I was agreeing with Draynar that splitting the player base for flavor is not a good reason. There is no way Carbine will restrict end-game type content by faction. Everyone will end up doing the same dungeons or raids anyway, so why divide the pool of potential group members? Splitting factions would be understandable if they were going for open world PvP.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Even then splitting people into factions doesn't do much for open world pvp other than cut the amount of people you could actively attack in the world.

Its mostly done for story purposes and even that doesn't make sense. Why would you have a completely disorganize group of people running around in contested zones for no apparent reason other than dragging some bear butts to a random no one?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

With two opposing sides, one of the aspects of the game that naturally arises is whether Exiles and Dominion players will be able to communicate with each other. I asked Chad if he could shed any light on the subject.

“That isn’t something we’ve spoken about specifically, but what I can say is that as much as possible, from a story standpoint, I do not encourage any kind of cooperation, any hand holding or alliances of convenience, because for me I’ve tried to push as much as possible that this side doesn’t like that side, their philosophical and cultural differences are irreconcilable. As soon as you pledge your allegiance to The Dominion it immediately makes you an enemy of The Exiles no matter what your personal story happens to be.

I feel that intense and visceral conflict is one of the things that people enjoy about choosing a faction. As much as possible, I don’t want that to be diluted through content. The specific ways that’s done through our system that we’re talking about, philosophically that’s definitely the direction that we’re coming from.

I feel the less impactful that decision [choosing a faction] is, the less it means. So if it’s just a wrapper we put on at the beginning then if, by the end, you’re all doing the same things and doing them together it dilutes the idea of picking a side, we try to keep the purity of that conflict in place as much as we can.”

Interview with a wildstar dev.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That's unfortunate, split factions are something that belongs in pvp based games. Otherwise, you just splinter your player base. Dominion will be more popular on the pvp servers and life will be difficult as an exile.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Hopefully they will listen to players on that eventually for raids and end game dungeons at least. We're goons it won't affect us a ton as we'll end up with a mega guild of some size. Feel bad for average player thought but maybe it wont hurt as much rear end most launches as they did announce cross server lfd already.

(Thank god one mmo didn't listen to the "community" folks for a change because they didn't want to code)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So even though I've been casually following this game for a while (although only getting REALLY interested in the last week or so, following the PAX East media), I haven't been able to see for sure whether the UI hews closer to the WoW/TOR "BUTTONS EVERYWHERE!" design ethos or the Guild Wars/The Secret World's "less is more" deckbuilding theme. Anyone mind filling in the blanks?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Think it's deck building.

This FAQ seems really good for alot of questions.

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/the-wildstar-faq-or-how-i-learned-to-look-before-asking-updated-march-12-2013.73/

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Even then splitting people into factions doesn't do much for open world pvp other than cut the amount of people you could actively attack in the world.

Its mostly done for story purposes and even that doesn't make sense. Why would you have a completely disorganize group of people running around in contested zones for no apparent reason other than dragging some bear butts to a random no one?

I think the idea is to get the playerbase sort of invested in the idea of being a member of something, instead of just a dude on a planet full of other dudes. The only blizzcon I went to in 2009, there were people walking around with horde and alliance tabards and making fun of people wearing the opposing side's color and really getting into the whole thing, and I get the feeling that's the sort of fired-up-about-the-story thing they're going for.

It's kind of dumb, but I think it's not as big of a detriment as others tend to. It probably doesn't really do anything for the game either, so it's not like I think it's a great or even just okay idea. I just think that it's not a huge deal.

Orv
May 4, 2011
After all my time in WoW, even I will probably call you something derogatory, even if just in jest, if you tell me you're an Alliance player. If Wildstar is successful and lives a long time and fosters the same kind of mentality that the sides did in WoW, I could see it working. Of course if the playerbase is too small to support both sides raiding at high levels then you'll run into the weird problem where all the serious raiding guilds on a server are on one side and if you don't faction swap you're hosed. And god help you if that was the case on your server pre... when did they add faction changing to WoW, 2011? '10? It sucked before whenever it was.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Bauxite posted:

I think the idea is to get the playerbase sort of invested in the idea of being a member of something, instead of just a dude on a planet full of other dudes. The only blizzcon I went to in 2009, there were people walking around with horde and alliance tabards and making fun of people wearing the opposing side's color and really getting into the whole thing, and I get the feeling that's the sort of fired-up-about-the-story thing they're going for.

It's kind of dumb, but I think it's not as big of a detriment as others tend to. It probably doesn't really do anything for the game either, so it's not like I think it's a great or even just okay idea. I just think that it's not a huge deal.

It's really dumb, because the people wearing those tabards typically aren't into it for the story, they're into it for us-vs-them chest-beating bullshit. There are stories of separate queues for WoW expansions, with cat-calling Horde players waiting in long lines while Alliance players ducked in and out for their copies. If that dev thinks people are really going to give a drat about his precious story, he's in for a rude surprise. It's soccer, not Star Wars.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bieeardo posted:

It's really dumb, because the people wearing those tabards typically aren't into it for the story, they're into it for us-vs-them chest-beating bullshit.... It's soccer, not Star Wars.

Sorry, but isn't soccer a prime example of us-vs-them chest-beating bullshit? You have some of the biggest rivalries in the world between opposing teams that have an identity associated with the team, the players and even the fans. I think if they can manage server populations correctly, then having opposing factions isn't the end all be all.

*I could see having organized groups of people all joining in on PvP matches be like a soccer team. Having factions is like another layer on top of that.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 2, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ And yeah, lots of these soccer rivalries are historically hundreds of years old even before soccer was a thing, its awesome.

Separate factions are great for these games and just to clarify what some poster said, There is open world pvp. Nothing will stop your from walking into the enemies capital and killing people or fighting people in contested zones.

I do think if you have a friend on the opposing faction, like literal friend in your friends list or whatever, then you should be able to group with them for dungeons and raids but not open world stuff. The whole entire point and story of the game is two factions fighting over this planet, not working together for it.

(Yes, I get into the whole faction rivalry thing)

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 2, 2013

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Wildstar panel from PAX East, should clear up some questions that have been bouncing around the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZvHDkW4X2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttc2STpy6h8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Axd_wwV5DI

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

Sorry, but isn't soccer a prime example of us-vs-them chest-beating bullshit? You have some of the biggest rivalries in the world between opposing teams that have an identity associated with the team, the players and even the fans. I think if they can manage server populations correctly, then having opposing factions isn't the end all be all.

*I could see having organized groups of people all joining in on PvP matches be like a soccer team. Having factions is like another layer on top of that.

That was my point. That guy was suggesting vast rivalries based on the MMO lore, when it's really just tribalism expressed through whose jersey they wear. There will be people who will get into the lore, just like there are people who can quote chapter and verse of their favourite team's wins and losses over the years, but the implication that the vast majority of players will base their faction choice on anything deeper than 'This race looks coolest' or 'That faction has its poo poo together best on the server I want to play on', is ridiculous.

I'm not attacking PVP or faction vs. faction play --I'm not a fan, but it does keep people engaged-- but rather that dev's imaginings of how players will interact with those systems. He's talking about a population with a strong tendency to skip cutscenes and quest text as if they're going to dive head-first into the lore and come out role-playing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bieeardo posted:

That was my point. That guy was suggesting vast rivalries based on the MMO lore, when it's really just tribalism expressed through whose jersey they wear. There will be people who will get into the lore, just like there are people who can quote chapter and verse of their favourite team's wins and losses over the years, but the implication that the vast majority of players will base their faction choice on anything deeper than 'This race looks coolest' or 'That faction has its poo poo together best on the server I want to play on', is ridiculous.

I'm not attacking PVP or faction vs. faction play --I'm not a fan, but it does keep people engaged-- but rather that dev's imaginings of how players will interact with those systems. He's talking about a population with a strong tendency to skip cutscenes and quest text as if they're going to dive head-first into the lore and come out role-playing.

Ah gotcha, I misinterpreted what you'd responded to. All cool :respek:

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I really hope they let us build our own jump puzzles on our islands.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

sTickHead posted:

I really hope they let us build our own jump puzzles on our islands.

Well they showed off a low-gravity panel as one of the items/"plugs" you can place, so it's definitely a possibility.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Beach posted:

Wildstar panel from PAX East, should clear up some questions that have been bouncing around the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZvHDkW4X2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttc2STpy6h8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Axd_wwV5DI

Thanks for posting these. I'm actually getting pretty excited for the game. I didn't sign up for the closed beta until relatively recently, so hopefully I'll get in.

That said, I understand this is an mmo and we're bound to get burned on things, so I won't get my hopes up too high.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Doh004 posted:

That said, I understand this is an mmo and we're bound to get burned on things, so I won't get my hopes up too high.

Yeah I try not to either, but I'm dumb and get my hopes up a lot of the time. :saddowns:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Midrena posted:

Yeah I try not to either, but I'm dumb and get my hopes up a lot of the time. :saddowns:

I still remember my GW2 hype... :smith:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
It will be like every recent mmo release. Some amazing new decisions. Some amazing old school decisions that no one can understand why they kept(see factions) and no one will agree on which is which per item.

I'm excited because housing looks awesome and they are having cross server LFD on day one. Surprised if they plan to release this year thought that there is no pricing model yet. I'm hoping for a f2p model with sub option like lotro/ddo do.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

I still remember my GW2 hype... :smith:

Tell me about it mmo-bro :argh::respek::smith:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Draynar posted:

I'm hoping for a f2p model with sub option like lotro/ddo do.

I seriously doubt it will launch as completely F2P game out the gates. Buy2Play with optional sub is the best model imo. The upfront price keeps the rift-raft out and the optional sub/Cash Store is there for people that want to spend more.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 2, 2013

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

BadLlama posted:

I seriously doubt it will launch as completely F2P game out the gates. Buy2Play with optional sub is the best model imo. The upfront price keeps the rift-raft out and the optional sub/Cash Store is there for people that want to spend more.

Isn't the "Riff raff" who doesn't pay anything the core of a F2P Game, without those guys the people who spend thousands on personalised character shades have no one to play with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Isn't the "Riff raff" who doesn't pay anything the core of a F2P Game, without those guys the people who spend thousands on personalised character shades have no one to play with?

Basically. f2p is to make a larger community/player base a healthier player base makes people want to spend money instead of leaving the game. I'll be surprised if it isn't f2p in some way this game won't get the hype like gw2 did for box sales alone but who knows.

• Locked thread