Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
What is the deal with tea partiers and thinking up convoluted fictional realities where there is a myriad of queers ready to sue Jack's Welding Company when they aren't hired after only having experience with floral design on their resume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I Fought The Mom posted:

What is the deal with tea partiers and thinking up convoluted fictional realities where there is a myriad of queers ready to sue Jack's Welding Company when they aren't hired after only having experience with floral design on their resume?

Being batshit insane is one of the requirements for joining the tea party.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

I Fought The Mom posted:

Ridiculous hypotheticals are the only way they can justify much if not all of their thinking. That's how restrictions on soda sizes can become a "slippery slope" to literally anything.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I Fought The Mom posted:

It's ridiculous. Gay people don't look different. You can tell someone is black, or a woman, or whatever else by looking at them but how would the boss even know the potential employee is gay unless he specifically asks (which would open him up to some legal trouble, probably) or unless the potential employee divulges the information himself (in which case the boss, even if he is a raging homophobe, could just cover his rear end by saying "We don't factor sexual orientation in when looking for a new employee")?

Do Tea Partiers seriously think that gay people show up to job interviews with a hidden camera and introduce themselves by announcing that they're gay just so they can sue them later if they don't get the job or something? How do they actually think this would factor in to the hiring process in any way, shape or form?

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 31, 2013

Von Bek
May 4, 2006

WhackAWonderful posted:

So, as the owner of business

Of business :aaaaa:

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

C.C.C.P. posted:

Do Tea Partiers seriously think that gay people show up to job interviews with a hidden camera and introduce themselves by announcing that they're gay just so they can sue them later if they don't get the job or something? How do they actually think this would factor in to the hiring process in any way, shape or form?

Something something affirmative action something?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

C.C.C.P. posted:

It's ridiculous. Being gay isn't as obvious as, say, being black or being a woman or something. How would the boss even know the potential employee is gay unless he specifically asks (which would open him up to some legal trouble, probably) or unless the potential employee divulges the information himself (in which case the boss, even if he is a raging homophobe, could just cover his rear end by saying "We don't factor sexual orientation in when looking for a new employee")?

That was kind of my point: Trying to discriminate against homosexual employees is harder and stupid.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

C.C.C.P. posted:

Might. After all, they have a guy whose entire living is made off of doing poo poo like this to ACORN, Planned Parenthood, NPR, and polling station workers.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CommieGIR posted:

That was kind of my point: Trying to discriminate against homosexual employees is harder and stupid.

The only way I can see it even happening at all would be if the boss made no bones about hating gay people and made a bunch of of awful remarks and a gay employee overheard and went to a manager or HR or whomever they're supposed to report grievances to and then the boss catches wind of it and fires them over it.

And in that case, abso-loving-lutely the employee should be protected.

I don't see any other real world scenarios where that would happen ever.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

CommieGIR posted:

And if you are going to have discriminatory hiring practices, it's easy as gently caress to go about them without actually saying anything incriminating.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

McCloud24 posted:

Might. After all, they have a guy whose entire living is made off of doing poo poo like this to ACORN, Planned Parenthood, NPR, and polling station workers.

Exactly. It's the projecting the worst of their own actions on to their opposition, again. We can also see this in the "I bought 10,000 rounds because I can't wait to start shooting people when Civil War 2 comes. Therefore, when DHS bought 1 Billion rounds it is obviously because they too can't wait to start Civil War 2 as well."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In other news...

E:Maybe they are saying it's his nose?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 31, 2013

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Our poor, defenseless guns :qq:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Acquire Currency! posted:

In other news...

Are they saying the rifle is his nose?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

In other news...

Barack Obama is the best loving thing that has ever happened to the American firearms industry.

I am dead serious. Every gullible gun nut in the country will run out and panic-buy all the ammo, guns, and accessories they can find every time he so much as opens his mouth, they're so loving scared of him. All the gun lobby has to say is 'HE'S COMING TO TAKE YER GUNS!' and then sit back and watch the cash roll in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mister Bates posted:

Barack Obama is the best loving thing that has ever happened to the American firearms industry.

I am dead serious. Every gullible gun nut in the country will run out and panic-buy all the ammo, guns, and accessories they can find every time he so much as opens his mouth, they're so loving scared of him. All the gun lobby has to say is 'HE'S COMING TO TAKE YER GUNS!' and then sit back and watch the cash roll in.

See, that is the hilarious part. The gun industry is eating this stuff up, and I bet many in the industry don't even buy into it but spread it anyways because it SELLS.

Could this almost count as inciting rebellion/violence?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CommieGIR posted:

Could this almost count as inciting rebellion/violence?

All you have to say is "We were talking about fighting against the laws with strongly worded letters". Not true, but legally acceptable

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What I don't get is how sites like this can just stay angry and outraged about every possible thing. I get like that a lot, but at a certain point I either can't keep finding new things to feel really upset about or I just get tired of it. Between the trolling and TPC's terrible site design and userbase, it seems that there aren't too many people left who want to discuss anything that might invoke positive emotions anymore. The most favored content to share when I was last on the site was the stuff that promoted the most possible anger and hate, it's actually what they want to talk about.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Between the trolling and TPC's terrible site design and userbase, it seems that there aren't too many people left who want to discuss anything that might invoke positive emotions anymore.

I've noticed this too. I only ever see the same three or four people in the global feed anymore and just about every item posted is pure vitriol.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
The Tea Party movement as a whole has always been something for angry people to hang onto. Whether it's somebody who feels wronged about their shoddy employment opportunities or that the social climate in the country is changing or whatever, at its core the movement is about directing anger onto something.

Misplaced anger makes for a pretty lovely political strategy, though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Even if obama did somehow outlaw guns how in the gently caress do they expect to keep them anyway? Do they really think they could take a SWAT team busting into their place at 3 in the morning? I mean, it's probably not going to be the president's men who confiscate them. Are they ok with blowing away police officers?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Even if obama did somehow outlaw guns how in the gently caress do they expect to keep them anyway? Do they really think they could take a SWAT team busting into their place at 3 in the morning?

Some of them probably think if they amass enough guns and ammo they actually could.

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007
I think what helps teabaggers stay pissed off all the time is the media they consume. A steady diet of Fox News, AM Radio, right wing "news" sites, and hillbilly Jim's conservablog will leave you with the idea that you are a victim of a constant attack from a leftist hydra.

The information from these places seems to be presented as constant specifics along the same old themes; heterosexuality is in danger, someone is coming for our guns, minorities are naturally immoral criminals, christianity is under attack, the country is being lost to outsiders.

Switch these stories up a bit, but send them out on a constant basis and you can hold the attention of a fearful idiot for a long time.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So. Any of you guys interested in what Teapartiers think about gay people?

Apologies for the quality.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Any chance of making it bigger? It's almost impossible to read.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

StandardVC10 posted:

What I don't get is how sites like this can just stay angry and outraged about every possible thing. I get like that a lot, but at a certain point I either can't keep finding new things to feel really upset about or I just get tired of it. Between the trolling and TPC's terrible site design and userbase, it seems that there aren't too many people left who want to discuss anything that might invoke positive emotions anymore. The most favored content to share when I was last on the site was the stuff that promoted the most possible anger and hate, it's actually what they want to talk about.

I wonder what these people were like before they had the Fox News 24/7 outrage network and dozens of conservative news websites and a massive network of con men selling them gold and poorly manufactured survival gear from China.

I don't know, just put yourself in their shoes. Many of them honestly believe that Obummer is literally Satan AND Hitler AND Stalin, that the DHS is literally coming to put them all into concentration camps, that gay people are demons who pray on children, that liberals want to teach 5 year olds how to give blowjobs, that minorities are feral thugs who prey on innocent white people... It's a scary world. They are Under Attack.

There's all this unfocused, unexamined rage and fear and frustration and disappointment that I think most Americans are feeling right now, some people are just stupid and cruel and lack the necessary psychological tools required to figure out why they're so miserable. All throughout history the dumb angry people's unfocused rage has been exploited to pit sections of the underclass against each other so they have convenient victims to blame their problems on instead of turning that justifiable anger towards the people actually making their lives miserable.

Teabaggers are just the cyberpunk Know Nothings.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Any chance of making it bigger? It's almost impossible to read.

I think because of the shear size imgur lowered the visual quality automatically.
Here's one of the highlights of the discussion: Randroid vs Theocrat.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Marriage existed LONG before laws and government did!

No, I'm fairly sure it didn't.

quote:

How does a same-sex couple consummate their marriage?
[...] they absolutely cannot.

They... have homosexual sex? :psyduck:

Also, there's a frightening amount of comparison between gay marriage and bestiality/incest/etc. going on there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vivoviparous posted:

I wonder what these people were like before they had the Fox News 24/7 outrage network and dozens of conservative news websites and a massive network of con men selling them gold and poorly manufactured survival gear from China.
The same thing, but with underground zines and newsletters. The '80s-'90s militia/patriot/white supremacist scene is fascinating.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

The same thing, but with underground zines and newsletters. The '80s-'90s militia/patriot/white supremacist scene is fascinating.

My great uncle ( a millionaire who saved his wealth in the form of railcars filled with barrels of silver quarters buried on my grand parents property, along with a few gold bars, and lived out his days in a trailer ) used to get those kinds of magazines. He got into some trouble with the ATF about his home security system. He'd wired live grenades to his windows. His brother did trick shooting for a living and had every single model of Colt firearms ever made. My family is :freep: incarnate.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

There was a higher barrier to entry, though. You had to actually physically attend gun shows or know someone who was already in the militia movement. Right? I don't know much about it besides some documentaries I saw, but there wasn't a major news network canonizing "you need guns to shoot federal agents" as a mainstream conservative value.

Schizotek posted:

My great uncle ( a millionaire who saved his wealth in the form of railcars filled with barrels of silver quarters buried on my grand parents property, along with a few gold bars, and lived out his days in a trailer ) used to get those kinds of magazines. He got into some trouble with the ATF about his home security system. He'd wired live grenades to his windows. His brother did trick shooting for a living and had every single model of Colt firearms ever made. My family is :freep: incarnate.

I think you're doing your great uncle a disservice, comparing a man with that kind of crazy ambition to the losers on TPC.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vivoviparous posted:

There was a higher barrier to entry, though. You had to actually physically attend gun shows or know someone who was already in the militia movement. Right? I don't know much about it besides some documentaries I saw, but there wasn't a major news network canonizing "you need guns to shoot federal agents" as a mainstream conservative value.
As far as I can tell, the crazy went mainstream during the Clinton administration, which also coincided with the rise of right-wing radio and the beginnings of the Internet.

Schizotek, your great uncle rules.

Faust
Oct 28, 2005

"Everything in this world is here for a reason; thus we may conclude that all is necessarily for the best in this best of all possible worlds!"

C.C.C.P. posted:

I know you're joking, but you actually have it backwards. You know how most people look at the Old Testament and then the New Testament and go "Wow, god was a dick in the OT but a lot nicer in the NT. The NT is more recent and more becoming of a supposedly all-loving, all-merciful god, so clearly it's the more relevant book. The OT doesn't matter anymore because *reasons*"?

Schlafly and co. look at the OT and the NT and say "Well, God had a certain personality in the OT and a radically different one in the NT. Since the OT god better fits the image I have of god, it must be the correct one and the NT must be plagued with liberal bias".

Seriously. Most of their "rewrites" are in the New Testament and serve to basically make it fit in with the Old: Schlafly goes to great pains to get his message of Jesus being a spiteful, vengeful deity who hates lazy, poor people, gays, women, etc. deity across. They do this because they are spiteful, mean, evil, vengeful, angry people who are trying to reshape God into their own image to fit their own agenda.

It's not always backwards. Most of the people with whom I've debated religion are quick to admit that the OT has a bunch of odd poo poo in it, and insist that Christians (or Tea Party Christians, at least) know that the NT is the one to follow.

romeo x-ray
Jan 16, 2013

by angerbeet

romeo x-ray fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 28, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

romeo x-ray posted:

It totally did, it looked like this

Thankfully 'marriage by capture' is one of the things that laws and government improved on, making marriage what it is today, a legal contract, or purchase. "Marriage retained the form of purchase, but was essentially a contract to be husband and wife together. The marriage of young people was usually arranged between their relatives—the groom's father providing the bride-price, which, with other gifts, the suitor ceremonially presented to the bride's father. This bride-price was usually then handed over by her father to the bride upon her marriage, and so returned into the bridegroom's possession, along with her dowry, which was her portion of the family's inheritance as a daughter. The bride-price varied greatly, according to the status of the parties, but surpassed the price of a slave."
You're still describing a social custom; i.e., a law. Saying you can't have marriage without laws and government is one step away from saying you can't have it without society--almost a tautology. The problem is, they don't think it's a social custom, they think it comes literally from God and is therefore historically undetermined.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Schizotek posted:

His brother did trick shooting for a living and had every single model of Colt firearms ever made.

That has to be an exaggeration, right?

That would be dozens, maybe hundreds of guns, most of which are long out of production and some of which are class III firearms, like the fully-automatic M4A1 that the Army Special Forces use. Most army grunts never even see one.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 1, 2013

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Schizotek posted:

So. Any of you guys interested in what Teapartiers think about gay people?

Apologies for the quality.

Not surprising in the least, but it's hilarious.

TP posted:

The anal muscles were created for things to come out not to go in. Gay men suffer from the consequence of medical issues later of putting things in.

The strait [sic] woman asking if it's okay in heterosexual relationships makes it perfect.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

thehumandignity posted:

That has to be an exaggeration, right?

That would be dozens, maybe hundreds of guns, most of which are long out of production and some of which are class III firearms, like the fully-automatic M4A1 that the Army Special Forces use. Most army grunts never even see one.

Nope. He became quite wealthy as well. He had at least one Stradivarius violin.

romeo x-ray
Jan 16, 2013

by angerbeet

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

You're still describing a social custom; i.e., a law. Saying you can't have marriage without laws and government is one step away from saying you can't have it without society--almost a tautology. The problem is, they don't think it's a social custom, they think it comes literally from God and is therefore historically undetermined.

For sure, and being allowed to share that social custom, because it's a legal not supernatural thing, is what the marriage equality fight is, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

romeo x-ray posted:

For sure, and being allowed to share that social custom, because it's a legal not supernatural thing, is what the marriage equality fight is, isn't it?
Yep.

• Locked thread