Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

scissorman posted:

So can I simply ignore tail cutting or do I need to invest in a second weapon?

In that case, I know there's a slicing shot for bowguns, how well does it work?
I'd prefer to keep using ranged weapons, since I already took the time to craft my gunner set.

Slicing shot works very well as long as you have the materials to make more. You can also bring boomerangs to cut tails if you're going bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love how the game builds Deviljho up. He just won't stop showing up, and it's always at the worst possible time. Like you'll be beating on a monster, the music completely drops out, and then his music starts or he just wanders into frame and all of a sudden you're scrambling to get away/trying to kill your target while avoiding him.

I was hoping Crimson would call him during a free hunt so I could take a stab at him, but all he seemed to summon were melynxes, the bastard. Gonna gem Anti-Theft onto my armor if I plan to free hunt him again, they were stealing so much.

Re: Tail cutting - Having basically used a hammer nonstop through Tri, Freedom U, and this game, I was never quite aware of how satisfying getting that cut is. The best is when you get it during a slime explosion. Nothing says pain like having your tail severed by mold blowing the gently caress up.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ChibiSoma posted:

I love how the game builds Deviljho up. He just won't stop showing up, and it's always at the worst possible time. Like you'll be beating on a monster, the music completely drops out, and then his music starts or he just wanders into frame and all of a sudden you're scrambling to get away/trying to kill your target while avoiding him.

The first time he showed up for me this game was during my first Azure Rathalos hunt in High Rank. I'm not really scared of him these days but this time he didn't just wander into the zone, he BURST OUT OF THE loving GROUND while Rathalos was charging at me. I paniced like an X-COM rookie and got the gently caress outta there.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So is anyone HR30+? I'm looking to grind out HR40 so I can start hunting Lucent Narga. Join the IRC!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
drat the Duramboros is a really step up :aaaaa: Even with a Pecospander+ which he should be weak to, I underestimated the amount of healing I would need :(

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Carecat posted:

drat the Duramboros is a really step up :aaaaa: Even with a Pecospander+ which he should be weak to, I underestimated the amount of healing I would need :(

Yeah, Duramboros is just a gigantic slab of hitpoints with a tail attached. Make sure you bring a trap and some tranqs to cap him. Also, aim your attacks at his hump when you can, once it's broken it's far and away the most damageable part of his body. He'll still take a long-rear end time, but that should speed things up a bit.

Oh yeah, and wail away at his legs when he's doing the big spinning attack, he'll fall down and let you get some hits in on the hump.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RADmadness posted:

To anyone who bought a WiiU recently: did you still have to install that massive firmware update?

Way late on this reply, but the ZombiU bundle Wii U's have the big one already preinstalled.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
At this point, for someone just getting into the series, how terrible of a starting point is Freedom Unite? I'm having fun with it so far on the Vita but there's the nagging question of "how outdated is something that's two generations back?" (Setting graphics aside, which are dated, obviously). But I'm also not sure if I really want to buy a WiiU or 3DS basically just for this.

At least I can map the camera controls to the second thumbstick on the Vita so I don't have to do The Claw.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Unite is only 1 gen back (2nd gen, as opposed to the current 3rd), but it's absolutely a better starting point if only because that game itself will last for weeks/months and that way you wont hate yourself if you go back from 3rd gen to 2nd gen.

It will also make 3rd Gen seem hilariously easy in comparison. :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Emalde posted:

Unite is only 1 gen back (2nd gen, as opposed to the current 3rd), but it's absolutely a better starting point if only because that game itself will last for weeks/months and that way you wont hate yourself if you go back from 3rd gen to 2nd gen.

It will also make 3rd Gen seem hilariously easy in comparison. :v:

Great, thanks! I was thinking the WiiU one was a new gen, but I see now in the OP it's an updated Tri. Killing stuff on the Vita it is!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Bonus, you get to experience the magic that is second gen Plesioth.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Bonus, you get to experience the magic that is second gen Plesioth.

I never thought Plesioth's hitboxes were that bad until I fought him in Gen 3, where they are about where they should be.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Funkmaster General posted:

I never thought Plesioth's hitboxes were that bad until I fought him in Gen 3, where they are about where they should be.

They are really bad in United. Feels like they hit you from half way across the zone.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Goddamn, that spearfin tuna great "sword" is amazing. It made short work of Diablos and I hated fighting him in Tri because you needed awakening for the ice great swords in that game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

They are really bad in United. Feels like they hit you from half way across the zone.

I still stand by the opinion that the best Plesioth hit boxes are the ones that don't exist because they take the stupid fish out of the games forever.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Norns posted:

Case in point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b1GqaOiw6wI#t=31s

It's pretty much the vacuum that's hitting you.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
The best part of Duramboros is when you get your sleeping hit on him, then the game fucks up and teleports him back to area 2. This seriously happened to me the first time I fought him and I still have no idea why.

In other news I've been wanting to try out bowguns and I just found Demon's Isle so I guess I'm going to do that now. Is it a good bowgun to learn on and is there anything about bowgunning in general I should know? What do the different numbers on the bowgun stat screen with the ammo types mean? I assume that at least a one means I can use an ammo type of that level, but what does 2 and higher mean?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The numbers mean the amount of bullets that you can load for that type of ammo.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Marogareh posted:

Case in point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b1GqaOiw6wI#t=31s

It's pretty much the vacuum that's hitting you.

His hipcheck his fixed now, but he can still hit you by waving his tail ten feet above your head :saddowns:. I guess if it wasn't like that his tail spin would be completely harmless though, so I'm willing to accept it.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Bowrrl posted:

The best part of Duramboros is when you get your sleeping hit on him, then the game fucks up and teleports him back to area 2. This seriously happened to me the first time I fought him and I still have no idea why.

In other news I've been wanting to try out bowguns and I just found Demon's Isle so I guess I'm going to do that now. Is it a good bowgun to learn on and is there anything about bowgunning in general I should know? What do the different numbers on the bowgun stat screen with the ammo types mean? I assume that at least a one means I can use an ammo type of that level, but what does 2 and higher mean?

Shot placement really counts. Take the Rhenopolos for example. Shot from the side with normal lv1, it will stagger pretty quickly, after about four shots. Shot in his armored head takes two or three times that. The pellet shots are pretty strong but really mess up other players in your party, so I generally avoid them unless i'm alone.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

For me it's less the hitboxes and more GET OUT OF THE WATER YOU GOD DAMNED rear end in a top hat FISH :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is it true that you can overcharge your hammer R attack? Do I have to time it such that I let go of R and swing right as the big flash comes up, or can I hold it beyond that and still get the fully charged overhead swing?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If he hip checks to his right side and you're standing on his left, he will hit you unless you block while facing away from him.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Is it true that you can overcharge your hammer R attack? Do I have to time it such that I let go of R and swing right as the big flash comes up, or can I hold it beyond that and still get the fully charged overhead swing?

You're thinking of greatswords. You can hold R until you run out of stamina with a hammer.

korofrog
Dec 15, 2006
smell my face!!!

Oh you mean like this? And this was shamelessly stolen from the other MH thread.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What are the odds of getting 'new' monsters in as DLC? Because I want Lavasioth back! His big, dopey head turns were the best! :3:

How many hammers have special animations for when they hit fully charged? Watching some of the Japanese trailers for 3U, it had a short montage of four or five doing neat things when they reached max charge.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Is the Gobul set good for Ceadeus? I never fought him, I'd rather not go in blind. Blind fighting elder dragons is one of the things I hated from Unite. Sometimes it was too much bullshit.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Edoraz posted:

Is the Gobul set good for Ceadeus? I never fought him, I'd rather not go in blind. Blind fighting elder dragons is one of the things I hated from Unite. Sometimes it was too much bullshit.

I found it super-easy with a Rathalos set, but you'd have to get lucky and get a plate for that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

What are the odds of getting 'new' monsters in as DLC? Because I want Lavasioth back! His big, dopey head turns were the best! :3:

How many hammers have special animations for when they hit fully charged? Watching some of the Japanese trailers for 3U, it had a short montage of four or five doing neat things when they reached max charge.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 0%.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Edoraz posted:

As long as you land the dragonator and most of your ballista shots you should be fine with any armor that doesn't get you one shot by a water blast (don't wear armor with negative water resist.)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Zero. We're finally at a generation where this -is- possible, but Capcom is never going to do it because it would defeat the purpose of releasing games like Unite or Ultimate.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
If I'm using a slime bow and I get the slime coating armour skill, will the slime coatings stack with the bows natural slime effect or is that a waste?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Ciaphas posted:

It takes about two minutes to try it in-game, and you are guaranteed to have a hammer unless you sold your starting one. To answer the question anyway, no, you can hold it as long as you like. The second flash is the highest charge, and you can hold it as long as you don't get hit or run out of stamina.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there something in the farm I can make spider webs with?
Is there an good reason to use one trap over the other?
As far as I can tell shock is better for trapping and pitfall holds longer and lets me hit tall tails and heads.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
An odd question, maybe:

The copy I was playing MH3U on initially was a review copy (which as far as I know is just the normal PAL game), which I had to return. I've since bought the game myself, and although there's save data on the SD card, it doesn't show up when booting the game. And yet, when I make a new character, it recognises that there's data there and threatens to overwrite it.

Is there a way to have that old save data active on the new cartridge? Or do I have to start over? Not the end of the world if I have to restart - though retaining the handful of guild cards would be nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

It takes about two minutes to try it in-game, and you are guaranteed to have a hammer unless you sold your starting one. To answer the question anyway, no, you can hold it as long as you like. The second flash is the highest charge, and you can hold it as long as you don't get hit or run out of stamina.

I didn't think it would exactly be clear if I did less damage from overcharging unless the animation was different or something, which it wasn't. Thanks though.

I rather like the hammer as it turns out now that I have a better idea of when I can and can't roll cancel. Smashed Qurupeco's face in in 10 minutes, half my last one, and without using any mega potions. Brought up a question though, is there any way to cancel out of the third hit of the XXX combo?

While I'm at it, is there any reason to use any attacks other than standing XXX or standing charged smash?

(edit) What's the first monster that comes up with a tail I can remove? I want to try it with the hammer, I think the thread said that you can do that which is :psyduck:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) What's the first monster that comes up with a tail I can remove? I want to try it with the hammer, I think the thread said that you can do that which is :psyduck:

You cannot cut tails with a hammer. Anyone who tells you this is either trying to waist your time or has been farming for brachydios gems too long. (there is one exception, you can take off a monster called Duramboros's tail with a hammer but it's more like breaking a hunk of it off opposed to physically cutting the end of the tail off like every other monster)

And the first monster that you can tail cut is Barroth, or Rathian if you go after her when Quropeco calls her.

e: VVV That's the wroggi SnS, the Dirty Baron. You should be able to make it straight from the forge menu. It's a High Rank weapon though, so you might have to rank up a few times.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got my full set of Wroggi armor; I don't think I can put off fighting Qurupeco much longer.

Does anyone know which S&S this is?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ignimbrite posted:

You cannot cut tails with a hammer. Anyone who tells you this is either trying to waist your time or has been farming for brachydios gems too long. (there is one exception, you can take off a monster called Duramboros's tail with a hammer but it's more like breaking a hunk of it off opposed to physically cutting the end of the tail off like every other monster)

And the first monster that you can tail cut is Barroth, or Rathian if you go after her when Quropeco calls her.

e: VVV That's the wroggi SnS, the Dirty Baron. You should be able to make it straight from the forge menu. It's a High Rank weapon though, so you might have to rank up a few times.

Well, butts. :(

Okay, I guess I'll give the greatsword a try then when my gamepad recharges (:argh:). Does it offer similar roll-canceling opportunities to the hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Uh, is it normal for Agkator to launch himself outta the ground, into the sky and never come down again?

Also Volvidon has some superb animations. All 3 of the new beast types are great fights and I look forwards to the MH where I get to fight crabs, monkeys and rabbits all together

• Locked thread