Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

StandardVC10 posted:

What I don't get is how sites like this can just stay angry and outraged about every possible thing. I get like that a lot, but at a certain point I either can't keep finding new things to feel really upset about or I just get tired of it. Between the trolling and TPC's terrible site design and userbase, it seems that there aren't too many people left who want to discuss anything that might invoke positive emotions anymore. The most favored content to share when I was last on the site was the stuff that promoted the most possible anger and hate, it's actually what they want to talk about.

I found my next gimmick account. I'm gonna go look up anger management strategies and the effect of anger on a person, psychologically and physically. Gonna start sharing the effects of always being angry to these guys and help them lead a healthier, calmer life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
How would TPC react to an image macro that said "Guns: Bigger Than Jesus"?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DongsMcMurphy posted:

How would TPC react to an image macro that said "Guns: Bigger Than Jesus"?

Stupidly.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
That's a given, but I feel like this idea is worth following up on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Or Jesus escaping the cross with a AR15 in his hand.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Is there something similar to Stealthy for Firefox I can use? Stealthy's not cutting it for me right now, and I got IP banned last week. Do those ever "wear off" or get cancelled or anything?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Is there something similar to Stealthy for Firefox I can use? Stealthy's not cutting it for me right now, and I got IP banned last week. Do those ever "wear off" or get cancelled or anything?

Just use Tor to get around IP bans. If you get IP banned again, getting a new one is literally one click.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TPC: Once again showing that conservatives think about buttsex more than gay men do (a truly monumental feat).

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

WhackAWonderful posted:

So, as the owner of business, I can't decide who I want to hire by your standards. And if I don't hire someone because I don't like them or they don't fit in or aren't qualified, I get sued even if I had no clue they were LGBT? Who will be a protected class next?

Out of curiosity, why would you spent :10bux: to post on a forum, and then only post in one thread? I kinda understand the Let's Play Danga Ranga (or whatever it's called) kids doing that, but we do have extensive forums with many other subforums and threads that might interest you. TFR, for example, is all about guns, and you right wingers do love your guns.

And to answer your question, the courts don't just take someone at their word, the employee suing you would have to prove that you did it just because they were gay. Meaning that you would have to tell other people "I'm firing Mr. Gayperson for being gay" and using slurs frequently.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Kaethela posted:

Also, there's a frightening amount of comparison between gay marriage and bestiality/incest/etc. going on there.

A big fat case of "the only moral sex is my sex!" See also: abortion.

I wonder if they could be tricked into agreeing with the statement "what happens between consenting adults in the privacy of a bedroom is none of my business." Anyone with more time and patience than myself want to try it out?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

platedlizard posted:

Out of curiosity, why would you spent :10bux: to post on a forum, and then only post in one thread? I kinda understand the Let's Play Danga Ranga (or whatever it's called) kids doing that, but we do have extensive forums with many other subforums and threads that might interest you. TFR, for example, is all about guns, and you right wingers do love your guns.

Because they are so bad at gun safety, they'd be thrown out of TFR immediately.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

djw175 posted:

Because they are so bad at gun safety, they'd be thrown out of TFR immediately.

I'm pretty sure he can guess that anyone else in SA would eviscerate him.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhackAWonderful posted:

So, as the owner of business, I can't decide who I want to hire by your standards. And if I don't hire someone because I don't like them or they don't fit in or aren't qualified, I get sued even if I had no clue they were LGBT? Who will be a protected class next?

You know, honestly you should just look at this thread and say "gently caress this bullshit". And go check out the guns us forum. Got a tv show that you like? TVIV. Video games (hell man if I saw you post something there I wouldn't call you out for poo poo in this thread, I don't really care about political ideas when I'm discussing lame video game things) or whatever, really. You're not proving anything in this thread, if you want to discuss the things you want to talk about here go to Debate&Discussion. Don't be angry just enjoy yourself.

Edit: way to go on dropping the ellipses from the posts. Really I'm not being sarcastic.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

WhackAWonderful, can you get Joe to post again? He really made things interesting when it was starting to get dull. :allears:

vvvv Yeah, it's interesting to debate. But it's kind of a shame to have her post one :master: that's full of holes and then not respond to multiple prompt rebuttals.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 1, 2013

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Acquire Currency! posted:

You know, honestly you should just look at this thread and say "gently caress this bullshit". And go check out the guns us forum. Got a tv show that you like? TVIV. Video games (hell man if I saw you post something there I wouldn't call you out for poo poo in this thread, I don't really care about political ideas when I'm discussing lame video game things) or whatever, really. You're not proving anything in this thread, if you want to discuss the things you want to talk about here go to Debate&Discussion. Don't be angry just enjoy yourself.

Edit: way to go on dropping the ellipses from the posts. Really I'm not being sarcastic.

I wouldn't actually mind arguing with her, here. It's just whenever people try to talk to her, she just disappears into the aether like she has now. It's what led to her current avatar, actually.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

djw175 posted:

I wouldn't actually mind arguing with her, here. It's just whenever people try to talk to her, she just disappears into the aether like she has now. It's what led to her current avatar, actually.

Yeah the whole hit and run argument thing is kind of annoying. It strikes me as a person who says something but becomes really afraid to read or look at any criticisms, like he/she knows his/her argument isn't very good.
Or maybe she's just genuinely afraid of anything outside an echo chamber.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kaethela posted:

No, I'm fairly sure it didn't.

They... have homosexual sex? :psyduck:

Also, there's a frightening amount of comparison between gay marriage and bestiality/incest/etc. going on there.

With a more literal interpretation of the Bible, Adam and Ever were "married" under god meaning that Marriage did predate Law and Government.

I do wonder what they qualify to be incest and why they have a problem with it given that it's somewhat prevalent throughout Genesis which many of them tend to hold dearly. Obviously, modern notions label incest wrong but these modern notions conflict with the Bible as a result. Bestiality on the other hand is disgusting, but since animals don't have rights like people do, it should be moot.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

I Fought The Mom posted:

Weren't the midwest and south (REAL AMERICA) rife with anti-semitism until like 20 years ago?

This is from a while back, but I can tell you that in Kansas you have to drive about 20 minutes north of the capital to find a place where Jews are not made to feel welcome. Out west a ways, there are places where the patrons at a local bar will check to make sure you aren't Jewish.

It hurts, because deep down Kansas isn't about thinly veiled racism and far-right Christianity. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Crown posted:

This is from a while back, but I can tell you that in Kansas you have to drive about 20 minutes north of the capital to find a place where Jews are not made to feel welcome. Out west a ways, there are places where the patrons at a local bar will check to make sure you aren't Jewish.

It hurts, because deep down Kansas isn't about thinly veiled racism and far-right Christianity. :(

Look on the bright side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Red Crown posted:

How exactly do they check to make sure patrons aren't Jewish?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Crown posted:

This is a joke, right. I don't mean to offend you if you're from Kansas or something, I'm from Oklahoma and I'll accept the hundreds of criticisms about that state but-
That's a joke, right.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaethela posted:

How exactly do they check to make sure patrons aren't Jewish?
Is the patron in question a man?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
"Hey, you fellas ain't Jews, are you?"

Said to someone I know well, after they'd been chatting and getting along pretty well for a while. Had to be sure, you know. (They immediately picked up and left. None of the other patrons were offended by this statement)

I'm a Kansan, and every day my state does something to bring shame upon itself. As a political and civil entity, Kansas tends to be pretty awful. That said, Kansas produces A LOT of good people.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Crown posted:

"Hey, you fellas ain't Jews, are you?"

Said to someone I know well, after they'd been chatting and getting along pretty well for a while. Had to be sure, you know. (They immediately picked up and left. None of the other patrons were offended by this statement)

I'm a Kansan, and every day my state does something to bring shame upon itself. As a political and civil entity, Kansas tends to be pretty awful. That said, Kansas produces A LOT of good people.

I have an Uncle that makes sure that I'm not dating any black people whenever I see him.
Ahhhh the South. :allears:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

I have an Uncle that makes sure that I'm not dating any black people whenever I see him.
Ahhhh the South. :allears:

The fun thing to do is to say Yes the next time that subject gets brought up. Make sure you have an exit strategy if it all goes to poo poo.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr.Smasher posted:

The fun thing to do is to say Yes the next time that subject gets brought up. Make sure you have an exit strategy if it all goes to poo poo.

The nearest state to run to would be Texas, sooooo.

I can only imagine the best case scenario would be him pulling my over and saying "It's cool, I got the Jungle Fever, too."

Edit:\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I'm not going to lie that is really really interesting. I wouldn't be able to make heads or tails out of that place, starting with its crazy-rear end name.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 1, 2013

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
I should preface this by saying that my dad is Jewish: there's a town about 20 minutes from where I grew up in Wisconsin called Oconomowoc. I was once told a story by a Jewish-American teacher who went around and talked at different schools since he had served in the Israeli army for a time and worked with a bunch of different Jewish organizations in Milwaukee.

He went to a small college to give a talk on anti-Semitism, and was approached by a girl afterwards, who explained to him that she came from a place that didn't have anti-Semitism. He's stunned, and asks her where this bastion of tolerance is. "Oconomowoc," she answers. He knows that she's just being naive, so he plays along: "How did the town get that way?"

"Well, we just don't have any Jews!"

So that gets him a little curious and he does a bit of research. Until about 20 years ago, realtors simply wouldn't sell houses to people if they discovered that they were Jewish, so Oconomowoc didn't have anti-Semitism because it didn't have any Jews, because no one would sell them houses. I should say that I grew up in a small, conservative town where everyone that I knew was aware that I was partly Jewish, and never experienced any problems because of it, so it isn't a statewide thing.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Edit:\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I'm not going to lie that is really really interesting. I wouldn't be able to make heads or tails out of that place, starting with its crazy-rear end name.

Haha, it's kind of funny listening to people try to pronounce that one. Also fun is Ashwaubenon, a suburb of Green Bay.

I don't understand the logistics of not selling a home to Jewish people. Did they ask every single person if they were Jewish? That's too much work. At least Oconomowoc isn't a huge city.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Guess you've never seen a Floridian gated community.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

DemonDarkhorse posted:

I don't understand the logistics of not selling a home to Jewish people. Did they ask every single person if they were Jewish? That's too much work. At least Oconomowoc isn't a huge city.

I never quite worked this out, and I'm willing to believe he was exaggerating some. That said, Oconomowoc is basically a town sized country club, so how hard is it to believe that they'd take some steps to keep Jews out, really?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Last summer I was in South Dakota with my dad (we're from the northeast, and he's working there as a doctor on an Indian reservation), and we were browsing through a gun store, and were going back to our parked right outside it when my dad went to go pee or something like that. Some guy, who I remember was missing at least one tooth, was getting into his car right next to ours when he asked me:

"Hey um, I'm not racist or anything, but um, are you two guys of the, uh, Jewish religion?"

Now, we ARE Jewish, though we're both 100% Atheists and I'm only half Jewish (and my mom's the Christian, so by Jewish ritual standards I'm actually not Jewish), and while we're both short and my dad looks pretty jewish, I don't think I look super Jewish on a cursory glance.

Now, I really don't think I'm particularly prejudiced against people from the flyover states, and maybe he really was just genuinely curious, but with the combination of this guy's incomplete set of teeth and being outside a gun store, I wasn't going to take any chances. I answered with an "uh, no?" and got in my car (and locked the door).

It helps that while I acknowledge I'm ethnically half-Jewish, I really don't identify as a Jew and am actually kind of disdainful of the whole thing because I was made to go to hebrew school and have a bar mitzvah and stuff, and was even forced to get the Jewish equivalent of a baptism, though I later learned it doesn't count if you do it under duress. So MAYBE if I was somewhere else and asked by somewhere else, I'd have said yes but we weren't religious, or "kind of," or something.

Then my father and I went to some lovely Chinese food place for the novelty of eating Chinese food in South Dakota.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

OK I've been seeing this image around a lot, and it's been confusing me.

Do they think obama spent 1.4 billion dollars on vacations?!

NoUU fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 1, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NoUU posted:

OK I've been seeing this image around a lot, and it's been confusing me.

Do they think obama spent 1.4 billion dollars on vacations?!

I love the fact check here:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/40980_About_That_Taxpayers_Spent_$1.4_Billion_on_Obama_Family_Last_Year_Fake_Outrage

Once again democrats are better at saving money

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I think what I find most disturbing is that tea partiers want to be right about their views so bad that they seem to be hoping that the country falls apart and tens of thousand die. As the suffering increases, they would smugly tell anyone who would listen that they were right.

It's honestly terrifying that they probably go to bed praying that the world will be burning when they wake up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bait and Swatch posted:

I think what I find most disturbing is that tea partiers want to be right about their views so bad that they seem to be hoping that the country falls apart and tens of thousand die. As the suffering increases, they would smugly tell anyone who would listen that they were right.

It's honestly terrifying that they probably go to bed praying that the world will be burning when they wake up.
This is also because most of the people on TPC are survivalists.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

This is also because most of the people on TPC are survivalists.

I know some real survivalists. Brilliant, resourceful people who can go into the wilderness with nothing but a knife and build a house, make clothes, hunt and fish and garden until they have more food than they know what to do with, who can build a forge and pull iron from the earth and make tools.

These are old fat people who occasionally go hunting and have a garage full of canned food. That's just the ones who consider themselves survivalists, most of them are the kind of people who post on a social network 18 hours a day. They rely on Medicare and cars and smokeless gunpowder and TV dinners and all the other amenities and luxuries that a rich country with a strong centralized government affords them. They're just so dumb that they think holing up in their lovely house with an AR-15, a thousand rounds of ammunition, and a garage full of canned goods will protect them from government death squads or roving bands of feral minorities or one resourceful individual with a molotov cocktail.

These are woefully inadequate human beings who can't suss out the difference between, for instance, a massive blowjob for the insurance industry and Kenyan Marxism. They want the violence to happen, they want to be a part of it, but they are entirely too loving stupid to consider the consequences of another civil war or American Revolution. They're also cowards who will never have the balls to actually follow through with any of their threats, they want Obama to cross some imaginary line so the Silent Majority can rise up and Take Back Are Country. Although Obama is already literally Satan, already literally assassinating American citizens and literally operating thousands FEMA death camps etc. yet somehow he still hasn't pushed them far enough to actually do anything.

It's just a fun fantasy for paranoid conspiracy theorists and bloodthirsty racists who live humiliating and pointless lives.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vivoviparous posted:

I know some real survivalists. Brilliant, resourceful people who can go into the wilderness with nothing but a knife and build a house, make clothes, hunt and fish and garden until they have more food than they know what to do with, who can build a forge and pull iron from the earth and make tools.
That sounds really rad. Not that it's important or anything, but in case the worst does happen, what are their opinions about intermittently-employed grad students crashing with them?

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

That sounds really rad. Not that it's important or anything, but in case the worst does happen, what are their opinions about intermittently-employed grad students crashing with them?

I am neither engineer smart nor tough as nails so I've never asked. I wouldn't know where to begin, the sheer breadth of practical knowledge and self discipline required is staggering.

I don't even know what this post-apocalyptic OBUTTMER DEATH SQUADS/FERAL PACKS OF BROWN PEOPLE universe is supposed to look like or what the purpose of such a thing is. Rambo and Robinson Crusoe are fictional characters, and neither one is applicable to what the breakdown of modern society would actually look like.

I wish some brilliant novelist or something would explore this Civil War 2: Revengeance stuff with some depth and verisimilitude, I think it's a fascinating idea and if the teabaggers are too lazy and cowardly to make it actually happen somebody needs to tap into that tension in a more resonant and intelligent way than the boring trash that is zombie fiction.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Peter Cottontail account is now done, my Easter ceasefire is over. The only things I didn't capture below were me being nice to Joe and when I got called out as a troll 5 seconds in despite my first post saying as much. People need some reading comprehension.

Screens:

Now you guys know.

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
That is reasonably adorbs.

• Locked thread