Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Beautiful Ninja posted:

They also had to make their own controller to get one with a touchpad on it so it could be used to control all the Android apps that presume you have a touch screen

Not really though. See, from Ouya's perspective the touchpad is actually a mouse. Why is this important? Well, because of this: it's not even remotely the same.

On a touchscreen (which is what the touchpad was presumed and supposed to emulate) if I put my finger at the middle of the screen and swipe down, my system gets a notification that I'm swiping from the middle of the screen to the bottom. My finger position is reported to the system as absolute values, which is necessary for any kinds of touch controls. On a mouse the cursor is just moved downwards from where it was at that moment, which is extremely unlikely to be where you were swiping from.

Ouya devs are saying it's not possible to read the user's finger position on the touchpad, which means that it's impossible to use it like a touchscreen. Apparently this is also a hardware/firmware issue, so who knows when it'll get fixed, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Der Shovel posted:

Ouya devs are saying it's not possible to read the user's finger position on the touchpad, which means that it's impossible to use it like a touchscreen. Apparently this is also a hardware/firmware issue, so who knows when it'll get fixed, if ever.

Sounds like it's just a trackpad like on the Transformer docks. So uh, no, it won't get fixed.

OOOOOUUUYAAA!

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Well, as I said earlier, I ordered this drat thing like a fool. After getting the announcement that I'd have to input credit card info just to download "free to play" games it just rendered itself completely useless to me, so I'll be trying to get rid of it without even opening it.

Or...

I will make a "How To Play Ouya" video in which I throw it against a wall repeatedly and then break an egg over the controller.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You don't even have a debit card?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

caldrax posted:

I will make a "How To Play Ouya" video in which I throw it against a wall repeatedly and then break an egg over the controller.

You have to smear flour, milk and Nutella into it, too.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh no, it's not that, I just don't trust the Ouya people with my card info.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Would you give these people your credit card information?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like it's just a trackpad like on the Transformer docks. So uh, no, it won't get fixed.

Yeah well, you gotta keep believing, maaaan!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
You could probably get a prepaid card somewhere and hook it up without worrying about losing anything.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Would you give these people your credit card information?

My bank has regularly locked down my debit card for purchasing digital games from sites in the UK or for buying multiple Android apps in too short a time period, I'm sure if OUYA tried anything ACTUALLY fishy it'd get shut down insanely fast. :v:

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

It's not so much that I'm concerned that the Ouya people are going to do crazy things with my credit card information but that they would store it on a lovely unsecured network and some hacker would do crazy things with my credit card information.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I wouldn't be surprised if you could just input a bunch of random numbers and it'll let you go through.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I'm almost certain the controller is being sold at high margins to help make up what has to be razor thin margins on the console itself, first party console accessories are always way overpriced compared to how much they actually cost to make because it's one of the biggest money makers they have. They also had to make their own controller to get one with a touchpad on it so it could be used to control all the Android apps that presume you have a touch screen, only the recently unveiled PS4 controller has one as well and that's still months out from anyone being able to actually buy one.

The other assumption is that any software on the OUYA would actually need a touchpad. If the idea was to bring games back to the TV, to be a console and not a mobile platform, there's no need for it to have the touchpad. Since you can't use Google Play, anything OUYA wants to release on their market has to be approved by them first. There's nothing stopping them from blocking anything that isn't compatible with a thumbstick or D-pad.

Every console in history has managed to be functional without a touchpad.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I've got it. The OUYA and its shipping/receiving window is the most elaborate April Fools joke ever.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

caldrax posted:

Well, as I said earlier, I ordered this drat thing like a fool. After getting the announcement that I'd have to input credit card info just to download "free to play" games it just rendered itself completely useless to me, so I'll be trying to get rid of it without even opening it.

Or...

Sell it to a nerd.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

If you're concerned about having to input a credit card number, just go purchase a prepaid Visa card.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

You have to smear flour, milk and Nutella into it, too.

And the root beer or some ginseng extract.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just press the root button for free games??? Duh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jacobus Spades posted:

If you're concerned about having to input a credit card number, just go purchase a prepaid Visa card.

At last glance that would not work as well, since you can't change your stored CC info after you give it to them.

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just press the root button for free games??? Duh

Rupang posted:

And the root beer or some ginseng extract.

HOOHA confirmed to have Root Beer button.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rudager posted:

Now you point that out, it makes me wonder whether the lack of online multiplayer is more of a business move to sell more controllers since people will be more inclined to play splitscreen style instead.

But that would imply business competence for a start.....

Sounds more like it would imply even more business incompetence than they already have, because the only reason anyone ever played splitscreen to begin with was out of necessity. It's lovely and inconvenient and I have no idea why someone would be nostalgic for that beyond the intimacy of same-couch multiplayer, and even then, to the point where they'd force you to do it. You can't put the genie of online (or even system link) multplayer back in its bottle.

Besides, we all know that it's because they promised themselves into a corner and it's another thing they had neither the time nor the competence to do.

Der Shovel posted:

Not really though. See, from Ouya's perspective the touchpad is actually a mouse. Why is this important? Well, because of this: it's not even remotely the same.

On a touchscreen (which is what the touchpad was presumed and supposed to emulate) if I put my finger at the middle of the screen and swipe down, my system gets a notification that I'm swiping from the middle of the screen to the bottom. My finger position is reported to the system as absolute values, which is necessary for any kinds of touch controls. On a mouse the cursor is just moved downwards from where it was at that moment, which is extremely unlikely to be where you were swiping from.

Like Kirby said, it seems more like that is an intentional feature of Android, since the Transformer (and the Revue) touchpad does the same. Hell, that's the way the touchpad on the laptop I'm using right now works. It wouldn't make sense to make it absolute-positioned unless you were using it for something like drawing.

Of course, trying to play touchscreen based games with the touchpad is lovely with the Revue and the Transformer, so I don't know why they would expect anything different.

e: now that I re-read your post I think we're saying the same thing, but I'm not sure I get why you don't think it's like a mouse.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 1, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

raditts posted:

Hell, that's the way the touchpad on the laptop I'm using right now works. It wouldn't make sense to make it absolute-positioned unless you were using it for something like drawing.

Well yeah, naturally, but the touchpad on your laptop isn't there for playing touchscreen games. The touchpad on the Ouya is and it's 100% useless for that task. People were making a big deal about how you could just play all the existing touchscreen Android games because of it and now it turns out you can't play of them.

This thing is just becoming a bigger joke by the day.

raditts posted:

e: now that I re-read your post I think we're saying the same thing, but I'm not sure I get why you don't think it's like a mouse.

No, it is like a mouse but it wasn't supposed to be and it shouldn't be if they wanted it to be at all useful.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

caldrax posted:

Oh no, it's not that, I just don't trust the Ouya people with my card info.

Has anybody asked on the forums about Ouya's PCI DSS compliance? I know that the steam store is compliant, as is GFWL's store.

e: oh, one of the abandoned ouya wikis has something on compliance.. Oh.

Toffile posted:

At last glance that would not work as well, since you can't change your stored CC info after you give it to them.

You can't possibly be serious. What was their plan if your credit card expires? Credit cards usually expire every 2-4 years; it ought to be assumed that people will want to update their CC data periodically. :psypop:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Basically most poo poo stutters. I know because I've dealt with 3 of them. If there is something better out there I'd like to know.

If you like 720 the tegra 3 is OK I guess. Mine stutters on 1080 video.

They are mobile chip sets, a device that is not leaving your table should use something different.

boo_radley posted:

You can't possibly be serious. What was their plan if your credit card expires? Credit cards usually expire every 2-4 years; it ought to be assumed that people will want to update their CC data periodically. :psypop:

That doesn't matter because a new ouya is coming out every year, remember? Tegra 4 and buff snapdragon devices are coming out 2 months after ouyas launch. They have to update.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 1, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Like, I know picking on the OUYA is easy, but they've already said they're going to going to change that soon(whether they will or not remains to be seen). Why pretend like they haven't said they're gonna change it when its funny that it was like that in the first place even if they do fix it?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Unboxing video at Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/01/ouya-unboxing/

It's actually intentional that the controller faceplate is half-off. It's actually intentional. It's intentional.

It's.

Intentional.

:psyduck:

EDIT: uhhhh, unless it's completely coincidental that two different unboxing videos had that particular faceplate off at a slant? It's hilarious because Engadget thinks it's "unfortunate" that the faceplate came off in shipping.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 1, 2013

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

JazzFlight posted:

It's actually intentional that the controller faceplate is half-off. It's actually intentional. It's intentional.

It's.

Intentional.

Well that's one way to compensate for how hilariously awful the engineering on the controller is, because who would have guessed that's how you put batteries in the drat thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

JazzFlight posted:

It's.

Intentional.

quote:

newovrhere
4 minutes ago

how will you review it if the proper games/content are not out until it is widely available to consumers....hopefully the lack of titles dont put you off

I don't know if the controller thing is intentional or something that just happens to every console in shipping. Either way :psyduck:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mashable.com is calling the Ouya a success. That's is really using the term success very loosely. http://mashable.com/2013/04/01/kickstarter-sensations-gaming/

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Oh, how we laughed.
Replacing "OUYA" with a random name really is painfully unfunny, though. Congrats for being very easily amused, I guess.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I need an Ouya, I want to put a little cowboy hat on it and kiss it. I want to bring back gaming to my TV, I want to save it from the big three, I will paint a sheriffs badge on my Ouya and we will go on adventures. Riding off into the sunset playing Visorman. OUYA!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Der Shovel posted:

Well yeah, naturally, but the touchpad on your laptop isn't there for playing touchscreen games. The touchpad on the Ouya is and it's 100% useless for that task. People were making a big deal about how you could just play all the existing touchscreen Android games because of it and now it turns out you can't play of them.

This thing is just becoming a bigger joke by the day.

No, it is like a mouse but it wasn't supposed to be and it shouldn't be if they wanted it to be at all useful.

It couldn't have provided useful absolute positioning without also being a lot larger than it is. What it's actually there for is for people to navigate applications that don't allow their interfaces to be controlled by anything other than "touch". And that's going to be mostly things that aren't officially for the OUYA so of course OUYA doesn't advertise that fact.

I mean seriously, just try to imagine controlling it with absolute location on that tiny thing, it looks to be about 2 inches across.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Install Gentoo posted:

It couldn't have provided useful absolute positioning without also being a lot larger than it is. What it's actually there for is for people to navigate applications that don't allow their interfaces to be controlled by anything other than "touch". And that's going to be mostly things that aren't officially for the OUYA so of course OUYA doesn't advertise that fact.

I mean seriously, just try to imagine controlling it with absolute location on that tiny thing, it looks to be about 2 inches across.

That's just a bad design decision then, half-assed. It may be that its only intended to be used that way, but then they may as well have left it off. The whole need for a touch screen is for apps, like you said, not intended for OUYA, which already have touch controls. The problem is those touch controls are going to be largely built on absolute position; press over here to activate this, press over there to activate that. This will only work for really general commands, like 'swipe up'. So it completely defeats the whole point of the thing and they may as well have saved money. It'll only work for apps designed for a mouse, which is... how many android apps? :psyduck: They either should have made it much bigger and more accurate, or left it off entirely.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I said come in! posted:

Mashable.com is calling the Ouya a success. That's is really using the term success very loosely. http://mashable.com/2013/04/01/kickstarter-sensations-gaming/

Their declaring it a 'success' doesn't seem to be based on anything more than 'raised a lot of money/is sorta releasing on time.' They may want to reassess later.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So, has anyone seen the "instructions for rooting" that they claimed would be included in every box?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

Has anybody asked on the forums about Ouya's PCI DSS compliance? I know that the steam store is compliant, as is GFWL's store.

Bear in mind that PCI DSS is a set of recommendations; the requirements don't kick in until you're interfacing with vendors themselves and they pick and choose what they're compliant with. I'd be interested to know if their internal traffic is 443, which is one of the common things that Visa/Mastercard need for you to process their stuff. Hell, I'd be interested to know who their processor is, because the test/production flag is the kind of thing that prompts terse phonecalls. More than one merchant has had to spend a tense week explaining the large number of chargebacks flagged to them.

HIPA and Sarbanes-Oxley are far more stringent and carry the threat of an enormous stick, but obviously work in different areas of personally identifiable information and data-retention which has occasional overlaps into CC processing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

That's just a bad design decision then, half-assed. It may be that its only intended to be used that way, but then they may as well have left it off. The whole need for a touch screen is for apps, like you said, not intended for OUYA, which already have touch controls. The problem is those touch controls are going to be largely built on absolute position; press over here to activate this, press over there to activate that. This will only work for really general commands, like 'swipe up'. So it completely defeats the whole point of the thing and they may as well have saved money. It'll only work for apps designed for a mouse, which is... how many android apps? :psyduck: They either should have made it much bigger and more accurate, or left it off entirely.

No, the OUYA touchpad is able to control a mouse cursor, which does allow you to click specific areas like a laptop touchpad. It's just going to be really cramped to use and obviously anything multitouch won't work.

Obviously it won't work at all for fast action stuff. But it's not only capable of swipe movements.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Aardark posted:

Replacing "OUYA" with a random name really is painfully unfunny, though. Congrats for being very easily amused, I guess.

Alright, I think you've got at least a loose grasp of this whole "humor" thing, now you might want to look into that "sarcasm" thing you've heard about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Install Gentoo posted:

No, the OUYA touchpad is able to control a mouse cursor, which does allow you to click specific areas like a laptop touchpad. It's just going to be really cramped to use and obviously anything multitouch won't work.

Obviously it won't work at all for fast action stuff. But it's not only capable of swipe movements.

Hm, trying to see how this will play out. Because the whole point was for non-OUYA games that could be played ideally without requiring the android devs to port them. But if the game expects absolute location data, "button 'fire' has X by Y dimensions, if inside then fire" then that isn't going to work, is it? I guess the LaLiLuLeLo can simulate it by having a cursor on screen you control with the touchpad, and then interpreting that cursor as locational based touch after calculating the previous 'position' and applying, but that's gonna be wonky at best; it'll be super un-intuitive. Oh, I want to press the button on the left but the touchpad isn't big enough? Move cursor left, move cursor left, move cursor left, press. Oh, now I need to swipe in the middle, guess I should first move cursor right, move cursor right, now move cursor up... :psyduck:

Aardark posted:

We've all had fun with it and its been a running joke for 140 pages. Keep trying though, I'm sure we'll all change our behavior to fit your style of humor. :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Install Gentoo posted:

Like the settings menu. Remember that last time someone checked for us, the settings menu where you'd do useful things like say, change wireless settings, was still a stock cyanogenmod one.

• Locked thread