Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think you're being overly dismissive, but whatever.
I am, yeah. The game was never supposed to be a Wario entry, it was just a tech demo for E3 that was then going to be a pack-in title for the Wii U until they changed their mind, so there's some real brand dissonance. I get that there are unlockable micro-games, but the meat of the game is the actual game modes like Pirate and Kung Fu and Ski. I don't know if this was going to be a Wii Play sequel or what. But the game modes don't really fit into what you expect from anything Wario. Rather than being weird conceptually, they are conventional minigames that have weird presentation instead. They're just minigames designed to show off the gamepad. Arriving well after launch.

I'm getting it for the microgames, but probably not at full price. :I Most Wario titles usually find themselves at $20 after 6 months, so I can wait for that point.

e: bear in mind that (in my opinion) Wario as a franchise has had some real clunker entries over the last few years from Master in Disguise to Snapped to Shake It, so I start at default with 'skeptical'

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Obviously there are, the video shows that. I'm just talking about, like, the game modes like "ninja hopping on platforms" and "grid puzzle" and "offline-only pictionary that no one will play".

The pictionary game is not technically offline-only, it's got a weird sort of online play where it gives you some words to pick from, then you're given a minute to draw your chosen word, then it's uploaded to Miiverse.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is the only game with a date right now Injustice? And I guess Rayman in September.

Surely we'll have a Nintendo Direct in April announcing some release dates, right? I mean I expect Game and Wario, The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 sometime this year, we just have no idea when.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The next major system update will come sometime in the next month, and the Virtual Console is supposed to launch on or shortly after that, so I figure there'll be a corresponding Nintendo Direct soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

Is the only game with a date right now Injustice? And I guess Rayman in September.

Surely we'll have a Nintendo Direct in April announcing some release dates, right? I mean I expect Game and Wario, The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 sometime this year, we just have no idea when.

Resident Evil Revelations and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are out in May, and I'm sure there's other crap that doesn't spring to mind right now. There'll definitely be a Nintendo Direct soon, probably to coincide with the first system update.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

goferchan posted:

Ahh, so there's not an official app, you run it through the browser? drat, an official one would be all it would take to get me to buy a Wii U at this point-- I know it's a small thing, but I was prepared to spend $100 on a Roku anyway for the same functionality and the price difference seems worth it. I use a softmodded Wii for streaming right now and it's ok, but the interface on WiiMC sucks compared to Plex and obviously it can't do HDMI.
It might be worth your time to try out plex. The web interface is pretty good and its free. A roku box is a nice alternative, though.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Didn't Iwata or Miyamoto make their first Miiverse post saying to expect a Nintendo Direct on Miiverse soon? We'll probably get some solid dates then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

To be honest I'm expecting the majority of unknown dates to end up being this summer and this holiday. At least as far as Nintendo's titles go. I don't know why there's so much mystery with third-party titles. Especially with the eShop (just look at all the TBA/vague dates in "Wii U Download Software": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games).

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

There's a reason why Nintendo paid to make Bayonetta 2 a reality and it wasn't out of the goodness of their heart or to appease Bayonetta fans. They knew they had an uphill battle ahead of them. I would expect more announcements along that route.

But then if Bayonetta 2 doesn't sell I'm sure Platinum/Sega will be looking for other consoles to put it on.(depending on how the licence agreements were made) If not, it will make them (Platinum/Sega)think if any future projects are worth placing on the Wii U.

zarron fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 1, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Pretty sure Nintendo paid for the title so Sega can't put it on other consoles.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Pretty sure Nintendo paid for the title so Sega can't put it on other consoles.

I'm thinking of the sense of what happened with Mass Effect 1 and Ninja Gaiden. Where if (most likely not) you do see it on another console it will be like Sigma.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think Nintendo deliberately sought out Bayonetta 2; I imagine that picking it up was part of a larger deal with Platinum, in the same way that Nintendo ended up handling a few Tecmo-Koei as a result of the Other M arrangement.

I don't know why there's so much mystery with third-party titles. Especially with the eShop (just look at all the TBA/vague dates in "Wii U Download Software": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games).

There are so many TBA's because the majority of the Wii U eShop lineup is kickstarter projects with Wii U ports tacked on as stretch goals, or just games that were announced and never mentioned again.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Anybody else ever have an issue with the eshop telling them that their credit card has expired? It's telling me that mine has, but it doesn't expire till 2015.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I did, at the same time my card stopped working at gas station pumps even though it sill works inside and everywhere else, so I might be having a different issue.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Den of Lies posted:

Anybody else ever have an issue with the eshop telling them that their credit card has expired? It's telling me that mine has, but it doesn't expire till 2015.

Some guys in the 3ds thread having the same problems. Check the last page there, some people managed work arounds.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

e: bear in mind that (in my opinion) Wario as a franchise has had some real clunker entries over the last few years from Master in Disguise to Snapped to Shake It, so I start at default with 'skeptical'

:(

Is Warioland Shake It! really considered a failure? I love that game, and would dig a sequel for Wii U.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I have my doubts Nintendo ever expects Wario games to make money. They are more fan service and a way for developers to try new tricks.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Red posted:

:(

Is Warioland Shake It! really considered a failure? I love that game, and would dig a sequel for Wii U.

Yeah I really liked Shake It/Shake Dimension/whatever it was called in your region. It could have done a bit less with the Wario Land 4 like escape-the-level sequences, but apart from that it was great, and looked really good too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really hope we get Wario games forever. They seem dirt cheap to develop so who knows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I have my doubts Nintendo ever expects Wario games to make money. They are more fan service and a way for developers to try new tricks.

If any company ever gives the impression they aren't making money on something, but doing it for the fans, don't believe them. If these games made no money they wouldn't make so many of them, and if they did things that made no money for the fans there would be more Star Fox, F Zero, and Earthbound translations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

If any company ever gives the impression they aren't making money on something, but doing it for the fans, don't believe them. If these games made no money they wouldn't make so many of them, and if they did things that made no money for the fans there would be more Star Fox, F Zero, and Earthbound translations.

The thing is that I don't believe any of the Wario titles have even broke even unless they have very low overheads.

They always feel like titles to just fill in gaps on a game schedule.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The thing is that I don't believe any of the Wario titles have even broke even unless they have very low overheads.

What else COULD Wario games be but kind-of okay cash grabs that were made with a medium to low amount of effort?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think WarioWare Touched on DS sold pretty well, the GBA one probably sold a lot too. I have to imagine the Wario Land games were successful too. (I don't actually know, I'm just assuming because all of these games own)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They have to be some of the cheapest to make games in Nintendo's whole library. There's also no complex interacting systems to pop up strange, unreproducible bugs - you could put a QA intern on any given minigame for a few hours and be really confident that you were either bug-free or very close to it.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
I'm having a great time playing NFSMW, minus the hard locks that mostly occur when I hit the Home button. My gaming PC is aging and I don't have any other consoles so I'm glad I get the chance to play this.
I mostly play on the gamepad, first person view, with the traffic off. It's challenging enough trying not to wreck with it off. I like that it lets you fly off cliffs rather then using invisible walls or barricades to keep you in the world too. You start off driving like rear end and crashing every 5 seconds, but after awhile you learn the finesse of gas/brake/handbrake/boost and putting them together.
I've only tried multiplayer once, and there was intermittent lag, but was pleasantly surprised that it's more than just online circuit races. There were new events like team racing, a drift competition, and a jump distance competition.
Autolog rules. I started off dismayed that I was on the bottom then started climbing the ranks during a 4 hour play session. Looking forward to goons playing some more and pushing me back down. Find me in the NNID thread if you have the game and haven't friended me yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My brain keeps rearranging NFSMW to NSFWM, which of course is not safe for work Mario.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

greatn posted:

My brain keeps rearranging NFSMW to NSFWM, which of course is not safe for work Mario.

Huh. We always used that for "Never Say gently caress Whilst Mating".
Which is a kind of old wives' tale from the sea, kinda thing.

My brain changes it to NSFMW, which obviously stands for "Not Safe For Modern Warfare".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

KimT posted:

I think WarioWare Touched on DS sold pretty well, the GBA one probably sold a lot too. I have to imagine the Wario Land games were successful too. (I don't actually know, I'm just assuming because all of these games own)

The first GBA one sold great and I feel like it, more so than Mario Party was very influential in how a lot of those casual games on the appstores of the world are designed today, right down the intentionally vague similarities to various classic games, just different enough to not get sued.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neo Rasa posted:

The first GBA one sold great and I feel like it, more so than Mario Party was very influential in how a lot of those casual games on the appstores of the world are designed today, right down the intentionally vague similarities to various classic games, just different enough to not get sued.

Microgames are a lot like Game & Watch games too. Incredibly simple, and you can spend a very short amount of time playing it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=199373 April Fools right?

I honestly can't tell. :confused:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Three of those games are coming out in the rest of the world at the same time (Kirby, Super Metroid, Resident Evil) and Pokemon Scramble U will undoubtedly show up elsewhere eventually, too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Three of those games are coming out in the rest of the world at the same time (Kirby, Super Metroid, Resident Evil) and Pokemon Scramble U will undoubtedly show up elsewhere eventually, too.

Its just 4 listed games though between 2 months, that can't be right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alteisen posted:

Its just 4 listed games though between 2 months, that can't be right.

It could be that it's only listing stuff coming from Nintendo and not the third-party devs.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

You say that like there are 3rd parties left developing anything for Wii U. There are a total of 5 upcoming releases on amazon.co.jp, including all Nintendo titles.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 2, 2013

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I remember back when the N64 came out my friend bought one and it sat there for weeks without any games, during which period I gently mocked him for buying such an attractive paperweight.

Now I've bought a WiiU (ostensibly for our family) and it just sits there with one game.

I have learned nothing. Mind you, it seems neither have they. Also, why do they hate online so much? And Europe? And doubly hate people in Europe who like being online?

I don't get their thinking at all.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I spent way too much time playing Wave Race and Mario 64 waiting for good games. Then Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Smash Bros, Mario Party(s), Mario Kart, and Star Fox eventually came out and it was great.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Moogle posted:

I remember back when the N64 came out my friend bought one and it sat there for weeks without any games, during which period I gently mocked him for buying such an attractive paperweight.

Now I've bought a WiiU (ostensibly for our family) and it just sits there with one game.

There is a big difference, during the N64 days it was more difficult for someone who was not wealthy enough to access more than one platform for gaming. However nowadays if you leave your WiiU console alone for some time waiting for the next Nintendo flagship title it's not that big deal, because people have smartphones, and PCs, and sometimes other consoles too...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

limaCAT posted:

There is a big difference, during the N64 days it was more difficult for someone who was not wealthy enough to access more than one platform for gaming. However nowadays if you leave your WiiU console alone for some time waiting for the next Nintendo flagship title it's not that big deal, because people have smartphones, and PCs, and sometimes other consoles too...

Yeah the games thing I've never had a problem with since during the dry times I can play any of the dozens of games I've not finished/started. Or just play Monster Hunter endlessly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spectracide posted:

I'm having a great time playing NFSMW,

I read this as NSMBW, which is New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Speaking of, I had a great time with NSMB U when I played through the whole thing with a friend. I've been pretty let down by the New SMB series as a whole, due to bland art design, annoying music and stupid design decisions (no manual saving until you've beaten the game, and in the DS version you couldn't visit two of the worlds without beating two other castles as Mini Mario), but this game felt like a proper successor to the original games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
There is now a thread for Miiverse and online multiplayer on Wii U. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541647

• Locked thread