Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

rhoga posted:

Except it's not a cat it's a vaguely racist masked pygmy thing and it screams all the time. God I miss the cats. :(

Sorry but Cha-cha and I are bros to the end. "What is this beast that grows inside Cha-cha? Is it raaaaaaage???" :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Cats are for scrubs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Serenity Dove posted:

Sorry but Cha-cha and I are bros to the end. "What is this beast that grows inside Cha-cha? Is it raaaaaaage???" :black101:

The best is the Torch mask. In rage mode it starts tossing loving fireballs at monsters.

I wish there was a cannon mask that would make it turn into a siege tank for one huge shot or something.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I wish there was a cannon mask that would make it turn into a siege tank for one huge shot or something.
You mean like the artillery mask that turns Cha-Cha into a cannon and shoots Kayamba out when you signal?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Reginald Bathwater posted:

You mean like the artillery mask that turns Cha-Cha into a cannon and shoots Kayamba out when you signal?

Tell me that poo poo deals like 4000 damage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yesssss first Qurupeco kill!

I guess all that time grinding a Wroggi set paid off in training me to attack from the side and dodge-roll.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Junior, you are a lying butt with bad fashion sense. Ain't seen no big monsters! It's just Crimson, Wroggi, and Purpludroth! No Uragaans or Barroths or Brachydios anywhere to be seen. I think he's making things up for attention. Why else would he stand on a bunch of supplies while wearing a thong? Get outta here, kid!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

rhoga posted:

Except it's not a cat it's a vaguely racist masked pygmy thing and it screams all the time. God I miss the cats. :(

This should help ease the pain.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I really regret getting this for the 3DS. I've spent so much time playing it's so fun but now I just feel like I'm missing something for not being able to do online. I've opened a box that I can't close.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Junior, you are a lying butt with bad fashion sense. Ain't seen no big monsters! It's just Crimson, Wroggi, and Purpludroth! No Uragaans or Barroths or Brachydios anywhere to be seen. I think he's making things up for attention. Why else would he stand on a bunch of supplies while wearing a thong? Get outta here, kid!

That thong is just more than Junior though! During the cinematic after you defeat Caedues, it seems they become a fashionable item amongst Moga Village males.

Also who burns a fire on a wooden floating structure? What the hell?

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 2, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Veev posted:

I really regret getting this for the 3DS. I've spent so much time playing it's so fun but now I just feel like I'm missing something for not being able to do online. I've opened a box that I can't close.

Well you can always transfer saves if you get the Wii U version at some point

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Get used to this. Is isn't just that slime is so good, but that Brachy weapons are good even without slime. Go look at a Jho weapon compared to a Brachy weapon. It's loving stupid. I am hard pressed to find a better weapon upgrade that is reasonable to obtain at any given point, that isn't already outclassed by brachy weapons, utterly disregarding slime.

One exception I can think of to this is the Hunting Horn. Slime isn't that great on slow weapons and its song selection is dismal. But yeah, on any weapon type where elemental is good, slime is better.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

One exception I can think of to this is the Hunting Horn. Slime isn't that great on slow weapons and its song selection is dismal. But yeah, on any weapon type where elemental is good, slime is better.

There's not much I like about Brachydios, but the obvious superiority of his weapons is by far the worst thing about him. When I can shave five minutes off HR Lagi going from his weakness to a slime weapon, something isn't right.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is still the best. :colbert: This is what should've played if you bought the game digitally while it downloaded.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Tell me that poo poo deals like 4000 damage.

I don't know about that, but it does deal a pretty huge amount. It can also break parts and cut tails.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Bussamove posted:

There's not much I like about Brachydios, but the obvious superiority of his weapons is by far the worst thing about him. When I can shave five minutes off HR Lagi going from his weakness to a slime weapon, something isn't right.

Brachydios owns bones Punchasaurus Rex.

If it makes you feel better if slime still exists in MH4 Capcom will overcorrect and nerf it into obsolescence.

Of course that just leaves room for them to make up something just as overpowered from that new Batman dragon.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Just busted my punk rear end through to G-Rank.

I'm on the 3DS.

I'm so lonely :negative:.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Fauxtool posted:

how does poison work in that regard? Do you do extra elemental damage as poison or is the 550 poison only working towards giving them the poisoned status? Just how strong is poisoning monsters that are weak to it?

Poison does a set amount of damage over a certain period of time. In the past, the damage over the total time could only be as high as two large barrel bomb+ on a monster (Duramboros, weakest in the game to poison). I don't know if they changed the scaling so that it does more or less damage now over time to compete with G-rank. My assumption is that it still probably sucks.

I'm going to post a list (spoiled for those that care) of monsters that take high to *very high damage. Keep in mind that there are many other things you could be doing to these monsters, such as sliming or using the proper element to do damage. If you're looking for a bit of a challenge or want some variety though, it could be fun:

Agnaktor
Glacial Agnaktor
Deviljho
*Diablos
*Black Diablos
*Duramboros
*Rust Duramboros
Gobul
Ivory Lagiacrus
Abyssal Lagiacrus
Nibelsnarf
Plesioth
Green Plesioth
Uragaan
Steel Uragaan
*Zinogre
*Stygian Zinogre

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Brachydios owns bones Punchasaurus Rex.

If it makes you feel better if slime still exists in MH4 Capcom will overcorrect and nerf it into obsolescence.

Of course that just leaves room for them to make up something just as overpowered from that new Batman dragon.

Well, dragon virus supposedly prevents you from recovering HP, so maybe it weakens enemy defense/doesn't let them eat or sleep to regain stamina and HP?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Finally worked my way up to Ceadeus and it is completely unfun which is a bit disappointing considering every other fight has been a blast. I managed to break his horn off, but it wasn't enough to repel him I guess. I've been using the highest level Arzuros switch axe I can get in low-rank and Ludroth armor for the oxygen. I would really like to get this guy out of the way so I can go back to enjoying the game.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So Zinogre's a chore to fight. Like Brachydios, he's a fast monster in a game not designed around fast monster fights. Also like Dios, if you don't have a weapon with a shield, you'd better be ready to get dizzied constantly and lose all your potions.

Think I actually dislike Zinogre more than Dios, because as far as I can tell, Zinogre doesn't have any goddamn tells whatsoever. He just does moves at random with no warning signs. Also, unsure of how to stop him charging up. He literally spent almost the entire 15+ minute battle super-powered. Dual Blades, even Slime Dual Blades, do not do enough damage to interrupt it, if it even can be.

How do I make this fight anything other than a pain in the rear end?

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

ChibiSoma posted:

So Zinogre's a chore to fight. Like Brachydios, he's a fast monster in a game not designed around fast monster fights. Also like Dios, if you don't have a weapon with a shield, you'd better be ready to get dizzied constantly and lose all your potions.

Think I actually dislike Zinogre more than Dios, because as far as I can tell, Zinogre doesn't have any goddamn tells whatsoever. He just does moves at random with no warning signs. Also, unsure of how to stop him charging up. He literally spent almost the entire 15+ minute battle super-powered. Dual Blades, even Slime Dual Blades, do not do enough damage to interrupt it, if it even can be.

How do I make this fight anything other than a pain in the rear end?

You can interrupt his charge if you manage to stagger him while he's doing it, but he'll most likely just do it again a few seconds later so whatever. Apparently you can make him lose his charges if you knock him over and harvest bugs from his back two times while he's on the ground flailing but I've yet to manage it in the time he's down.

And yeah, Zinogre is a pain because he has very few tells and his moves all come out super quick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just beat the Great Jaggi, and i'm officially hooked. This game combines the sense of reward/satisfaction with the most addicting of MMO qualites such as grinding out body parts and making new poo poo, fishing, farming, etc. The combat was hard at first, but I think ranks up there with, again, Dark Souls in how fluid/responsive it is. So yea, totally worth impulse buying a Wii-U for.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's always funny seeing people compare this to Dark Souls since it should be the other way around but I don't blame anyone not knowing MH existed until recently. I remember playing Demon souls and thought it was a cakewalk since the mechanics are almost identical.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

apophenium posted:

Finally worked my way up to Ceadeus and it is completely unfun which is a bit disappointing considering every other fight has been a blast. I managed to break his horn off, but it wasn't enough to repel him I guess. I've been using the highest level Arzuros switch axe I can get in low-rank and Ludroth armor for the oxygen. I would really like to get this guy out of the way so I can go back to enjoying the game.

I think I had the same axe, but I certainly had the same armor when I took on Ceadeus the first time, and I timed out as well. Luckily, the second time you attempt, since you made it to the ruins you can go straight to that part of the fight and have all the time in the world to repel him. poo poo's easy and then you get to High Rank!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Potsticker posted:

I think I had the same axe, but I certainly had the same armor when I took on Ceadeus the first time, and I timed out as well. Luckily, the second time you attempt, since you made it to the ruins you can go straight to that part of the fight and have all the time in the world to repel him. poo poo's easy and then you get to High Rank!

Oh haha, I was so mad I didn't even notice the guild lady mention that. I made a fool of myself in front of T-Bone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Marogareh posted:

It's always funny seeing people compare this to Dark Souls since it should be the other way around but I don't blame anyone not knowing MH existed until recently. I remember playing Demon souls and thought it was a cakewalk since the mechanics are almost identical.

I've actually known about the series a lot longer. I tried getting my feet wet with Tri on Wii a few years a go, and FU on my Vita, and neither really clicked for some reason. Maybe it's just time, but i'm loving it now. I think I found all the mechanics and what not tedious as hell in the beginning.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

apophenium posted:

In order to repel him you must break his beard before he gets to the third area. You *can't* break his horns until the final area. Everything else is fair game though.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Marogareh posted:

Make somebody mad by saying that Dark Souls is for casuals because it has a lock on. :can:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

I was using a Black Coffin online against some of these monsters, and I was wondering what was causing them to run away at 1 hp (we'd know, they'd always die in one hit once they ran and slept).

I guess my Black Coffin isn't a good choice during HR and GR, though?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

rhoga posted:

I'm going through portable third, and it wasn't enough to have a single loving cat that would make annoying sounds every two seconds in MHFU, now you have two. It's like being annoying is your punishment for relying on them.

Marogareh posted:

Nah, both are completely diffent challenges. While monster hunter has challenging bosses, the challenge in *souls game is actually reaching the bosses. Being a veteran monster hunter, I made short work of every single *souls boss without dying (except smough and ornstein, gently caress them), but died hundreds of times before reaching them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedboat Jones posted:

Make somebody mad by saying that Dark Souls is for casuals because it has a lock on. :can:

Haha I can't wait to do this to a buddy of mine at work tomorrow, thanks.

I'm still at just after the first Qurupeco hunt and I'm still wearing the full Great Jaggi blademaster armor. When should I be considering getting a more defensive set? Or should I be thinking more about skills than numeric statistics?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Skills always trump defence, but if you're at the point where you're dying in 2 or 3 hits from full HP and fully upgraded armour then yeah, it's probably time to upgrade.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alright, thanks. Couple more questions for the thread. Do resources respawn while I'm out on quests and free hunts? I would swear I'd mined that purple rock once before.

Also is there really no way to move while charging a greatsword attack? That seems horribly limiting compared to the hammer, I'm having no luck finding a cutting weapon I like besides the long sword. :(

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Haha I can't wait to do this to a buddy of mine at work tomorrow, thanks.

I'm still at just after the first Qurupeco hunt and I'm still wearing the full Great Jaggi blademaster armor. When should I be considering getting a more defensive set? Or should I be thinking more about skills than numeric statistics?

Honestly, Jaggi armor can probably carry you all the way to High Rank if you're diligent about upgrading it. The big detour you might consider taking is Rathalos armor, or maybe Barroth if you're using a shield weapon. Rathalos has more defense, about the same level of Attack Up, and comes with speed sharpening which is boss as hell. Barroth's got a bit less Attack Up, but it also has Defense up and Guard+1.

Ciaphas posted:

Also is there really no way to move while charging a greatsword attack? That seems horribly limiting compared to the hammer, I'm having no luck finding a cutting weapon I like besides the long sword. :(

There isn't, greatsword's very much about predicting monster movements and timing your charges to coincide with them. Getting the timing right feels unbelievably satisfying, though, and getting off a level 3 charge always feels good.

e: in other words GOTCHA BITCH

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does a lvl 3 charge greatsword hit do significantly more than hammer? why else would you use it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, I'll look into Rathalos armor next, thanks.

I forgot to ask, does upgrading armor ever give it extra slots? I wanted to get that 'capture now' skill (perception? psychic? lord the skill names in this game...) on my jaggi armor but it came up short. :(

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fauxtool posted:

does a lvl 3 charge greatsword hit do significantly more than hammer? why else would you use it?

Much. A Level 3 GS charge is by far the single most damaging attack in Monster Hunter (outside of a dragonator strike but that's not here nor there).

Ciaphas posted:

I forgot to ask, does upgrading armor ever give it extra slots? I wanted to get that 'capture now' skill (perception? psychic? lord the skill names in this game...) on my jaggi armor but it came up short. :(

No, upgrading only increases the armour rating of that piece of armour, nothing else about the armour changes.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

If it's like P3rd (Sorry, haven't played 3U yet) you can wear the Cap from the gunners set with the blademaster set for the extra Perception boost to get the skill.

E: Disregard this, I checked the wiki and they changed the armor skills. Sorry. I thought it would be the same considering they share the generation.

A Miserable Robot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Barroth's a fine choice for Low Rank, since it's got the same Attack Up small that Jaggi has, but also Defense. However, if you want to use decorations to pump up its attack skill, that'll lower it's defense skill. Jaggi set requires very few gems to get to Attack Up medium. Both sets have their merits, though. Barroth also comes with Guard skill, so it's a decent set for early lance, gunlance, and sword.

And Rathalos set is pretty good for Attack Up and being your first introduction to bogus drop rates. :shepface: Get ready for needing Rathalos plates, which are a pretty rare drop for Low rank. Still, it's a fantastic set for blademasters and gunners alike.

• Locked thread