Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

Dukeofdummies posted:

The few times I messed with death mark weren't very scientific. You can't hit the dummy in sanctuary with melee, so you can't really crunch the numbers. Or rather you can, but they won't wait as you do the math. Not to mention by the time you're in melee range a torgue shotgun usually does the trick and the additional 40% is some serious overkill.

You can apply Death Mark without being in melee range using the Cunning tree capstone. I'm pretty sure (if not 100% positive) that Death Mark and Slag stack. If you also combine them with Ambush and Decepti0n you can do a ton of damage in a single shot (hell you don't even need to shoot if you have a partially-emptied Tediore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Welp. I guess I'll probably get in on this, but I spent a lot of time getting lots of top-tier level 50 equipment so I guess I'm a little bummed- Now I've got to find it again, only at a higher level. Maybe my Seraph Lead Storm will scale with levels or something. :unsmith:

I've gotta say, reading things like 'X4 Health' and 'Slag is now pretty much mandatory' is kind of disheartening.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

One and the Same posted:

Maybe my Seraph Lead Storm will scale with levels or something. :unsmith:

Blatantly cheating I know, however, what about using Gibbed's save editor and scale the gear to your new, higher level?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Looks like they're fixing the Evil Smasher glitch tomorrow:

http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/entries/22126761--PC-Update-Hot-Fix-Information

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Seraph Gear from Captain Scarlett and Mr. Torgue DLC re-balanced to be more powerful.

Neat, maybe they'll actually be not complete poo poo worth using for once.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Coming back to the discussed cheat engine quite a few pages back, has anyone found anything that works for mac?
The cheat engine port i found didn't work and i'm getting tired of killing doc mercy and the warrior over and over and over again with no infinity pistol nor conference call to show for it.
Apologies if i missed its somewhere !

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kaethela posted:

Oh goodie, Lead Storm will be even better. :neckbeard:

I know it's a poor man's Shredifier, but it works for me.

edit: I've used Gibbed's item leveling before to level up Torgue machine gear before they were patched up to 50. I'll probably end up doing the same for all my current gear.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kaethela posted:

They changed them a while ago on the PC with a hot fix (this patch just gets rid of the need for you to download the hot fix everytime).

A Dahl Feral Serphram is about the best Fire AR in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One and the Same posted:

Oh goodie, Lead Storm will be even better. :neckbeard:

I know it's a poor man's Shredifier, but it works for me.

Lead Storm is a Hammerlock item so it wasn't affected.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Fun haters vacate, this will be sorely missed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I will most certainly miss the vladof launcher glitch. RIP fun.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Fixing exploits in a single-player game is extremely important, so that explains why they couldn't be bothered to properly balanced the enemies or loot tables.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dr. Stab posted:

I will most certainly miss the vladof launcher glitch. RIP fun.

If the Vladof launcher 'glitch' is what I'm thinking of, that it wasn't even a glitch. It's a legitimate playing of odds on the game's math with Salvador's skills and Vladof launchers discounted rocket use.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

If the Vladof launcher 'glitch' is what I'm thinking of, that it wasn't even a glitch. It's a legitimate playing of odds on the game's math with Salvador's skills and Vladof launchers discounted rocket use.
Evidently not:

Patch Notes posted:

Fixed an exploit involving Vladof rocket launchers that could result in having infinite ammo for any weapon.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

Fixing exploits in a single-player game is extremely important, so that explains why they couldn't be bothered to properly balanced the enemies or loot tables.

Which enemies aren't currently balanced? lovely boss encounters don't count.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

LAY-ZX posted:

These are the same people that literally took 6 months to fix the broken Assassin and Mechromancer mods. A fix which likely involved adding a minus sign to one mod and picking a skill out of a hat for the other. Asking them to do in-depth things like adjusting balance is like asking monkeys to do your interior decorating. Without using Poop as the motif.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Badass psychos are a little too spongy for the damage the put out but I can't honestly think of any.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reiley posted:

Hammerlock DLC.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Hammerlock DLC.

Use fire.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Hmmm... Rabid Stalkers are huge assholes. You also might put Pyre Threshers on that list. Neither of them come up a lot, though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hmmm... Rabid Stalkers are huge assholes. You also might put Pyre Threshers on that list. Neither of them come up a lot, though.

Rabid Stalkers stand out to me because they're the polar opposite of most everything else you fight, they close the distance immediately and stubbornly stay in melee range, forcing you to deal with them. As a Siren I would always keep my Phaselock cooldown ready for Badasses and Rabid Stalkers, they just bully you into confrontations that are not on your terms.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

First time I went to the Seraph Vendor in Hammerlocks this baby was for sale

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

First time I went to the Seraph Vendor in Hammerlocks this baby was for sale

That's basically the games way of saying "Use fire or you're gonna have a bad time in this dlc."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Rabid Stalkers and Pyre Threshers are annoying, but nothing insurmountable, I think. The former in particular just demand a different playstyle as opposed to the threshers' "I JUST POPPED UP TO SAY HI, WELCOME TO SECOND WIND." thing. I dunno if I'd say they're imbalanced.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

AnonSpore posted:

Rabid Stalkers and Pyre Threshers are annoying, but nothing insurmountable, I think. The former in particular just demand a different playstyle as opposed to the threshers' "I JUST POPPED UP TO SAY HI, WELCOME TO SECOND WIND." thing. I dunno if I'd say they're imbalanced.

I don't think I've ever defeated a pyre thresher. I suppose if I got downed and emptied a Badaboom into them, it could work. That's what got me through the final boss of the Torgue DLC.

Also, while certain enemies are certainly stronger than most (Badass psychos are the reason I always carry a launcher, nothing else can kill them quickly enough), it's pretty well known that the level scaling in general horrible. I'd hazard a guess that's what LAY-ZX was talking about.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Also, while certain enemies are certainly stronger than most (Badass psychos are the reason I always carry a launcher, nothing else can kill them quickly enough), it's pretty well known that the level scaling in general horrible. I'd hazard a guess that's what LAY-ZX was talking about.

People keep saying it's "well known" but I played through this story four times- often with a friend- and I literally did not experience this broken level scaling, which leads me to think it isn't the game so much as it's the players.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I've been thinking of jumping back into BL2 for a bit. Are the "raid boss" type enemies soloable? I'm playing Zer0 if that matters. Is there a guide to getting started on that sort of thing.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Karnegal posted:

I've been thinking of jumping back into BL2 for a bit. Are the "raid boss" type enemies soloable? I'm playing Zer0 if that matters. Is there a guide to getting started on that sort of thing.

There are guides for soloing the raid bosses. They just come down to abusing spots in the boss arenas where they can't hit you.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Reiley posted:

People keep saying it's "well known" but I played through this story four times- often with a friend- and I literally did not experience this broken level scaling, which leads me to think it isn't the game so much as it's the players.

It's not broken (and the person you quoted did not say that), but it's pretty drat stupid. Try killing something 4 levels above you, your damage is scaled down and their damage is scaled up. It is a World of Warcraft-ish take on handling level scaling, when there really isn't any good reason to have that.

Edit:
I forgot the other part they might have been referring to. The general power scaling, the part which makes a level 48 weapon look completely worthless next to a level 50. Some people may like that part, but it sounds like most don't.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 2, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

It's not broken (and the person you quoted did not say that), but it's pretty drat stupid. Try killing something 4 levels above you, your damage is scaled down and their damage is scaled up. It is a World of Warcraft-ish take on handling level scaling, when there really isn't any good reason to have that.

Their damage is higher than yours and your health is lower than theirs. It isn't scaling anything up or down, it's just a case of bigger numbers.

I did this my whole second character's TVHM because I wanted to power through the story and keep all the sidequests for 2.5 mode. BNK-3R took a solid hour to kill this way but I was also three levels below the content so I'm not really surprised that it was that big of an investment. If you're fighting content that is at a wide enough level disparity that there's a skull over their heads then you've got to go shoot something else and do sidequests to level up to that level. If I could have just powered through that fight without a hiccup in spite of the level disparity then what's even the purpose of levels except to lock you out of guns you find?

Fighting way out of your element is a doable challenge but it's really an optional challenge since there's so many sidequests and so many other areas that are level-appropriate where if you're having a hard time in Sawtooth Canyon or wherever you go somewhere else until you're ready for it, because there are quests and areas suited to your level. Level disparities mean more the higher up you go but you also deal and take more damage the higher up you go as well, and experience to level doesn't jump exponentially so leveling to meet content is not as direly time-consuming as it is in a proper MMO. There's literally no reason to grind for experience, you level up largely as a consequence of doing what's available to do in the order it makes sense to do it in and if you want to venture off the beaten path there's content that can fight back waiting for you to try your luck against.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Reiley posted:

It isn't scaling anything up or down, it's just a case of bigger numbers.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong, but I don't have access to proof right now.

I've done the saving side quests for 2.5 twice so I have experienced the situation plenty, and when I was trying to rush my Commando up recently I had to stop doing the main quest because I was 4 levels below it at one point. When I came back after having evened out the level difference but without changing equipment, stuff died a hell of a lot faster. It was the way they did it in BL1 as well.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
It's been April the 2nd for 22 hours now.

Where is my level cap raise you bastards!!

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I've put a metric crap ton of hours into this game already and I haven't played a single DLC campaign yet. I was waiting until a few more of them got released and the level cap got raised. Then they go and a whole new difficulty level. That's pretty much another couple hundred hours of my life down the toilet, thanks Gearbox.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Aint' no thang mang :whatup:

Has anybody beat the bunker lower than this and/or did anybody ever finish the only white equipment challenge?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

isoprenaline posted:

It's been April the 2nd for 22 hours now.

Where is my level cap raise you bastards!!

Get a real timezome.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Reiley posted:

Their damage is higher than yours and your health is lower than theirs. It isn't scaling anything up or down, it's just a case of bigger numbers.

Nope. Your damage is actively reduced once you hit 3+ levels lower than an enemy. From the Borderlands 2 forum, where people have spent far too much time testing this crap:

quote:

How much damage do I lose fighting an enemy that is higher level?

More thorough testing is needed but here are the rough numbers.

Lvl difference - % of damage lost

20+ levels - 99%
15 levels - 82.2%
14 levels - 79.9%
13 levels - 74.6%
12 levels - 73.7%
11 levels - 69%
10 levels - 63.4%
9 levels - 58.6%
8 levels - 53.6%
7 levels - 48.5%
6 levels - 43.2%
5 levels - 31.3%
4 levels - 27.6%
3 levels - 17.4%
2 levels - 0%
1 levels - 0%
0 levels - 0%

Being higher level than your enemy has no effect on your damage.

Also since the level scaling itself is literally exponential, this will break the game at a high enough level unless they do something about it. Again taken from their forums:

Someone on there also figured out the formula for player/enemy scaling, which I'm still trying to track down. The end result was that enemies have a larger exponent than players do, which means they're getting scaled up at a faster rate than players are.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 2, 2013

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Reiley posted:

No, they actually did work in a mechanic where level mis-matches matter. In the context of an MMO where you'd normally find it, the benefit is to 'steer' players through content in a predetermined way, prevent the player from power leveling in high level areas using tricks....This intent is sort of secondary though..

Level mis-matches work well enough in traditional fantasy..or..better put, it works better with a die roll based combat system. They don't want you going to the super secret forest of Push-your-poo poo-in-level-capped-monsters at level 5 and getting anywhere near succeeding.

BL is an FPS Action RPG...admittedly a bit of a unique in the RPG area. The 'FPS' is the important part though. There are no die rolls for combat in this game. The limiting factor is the dexterity the user has in actually putting the sights on target and pumping it full of damage real time. There is no 'miss' option determined by some sort of attack table fuckery behind the scenes that legions of fans will then spend years obsessing over...unless of course you put those mechanics in your first person shooter game!

If you're fighting enemies that are more powerful than you, not only do you have to deal with their increased health and shielding but your guns intrinsically take a hit..meaning their damage per impact of ordinance is lowered the higher the level mismatch with the player..

Also... from a design standpoint and my own armchair analysis, they never balanced the player with the enemies in this game. I WILL go as far as saying the balance in this game is pretty hosed (although navigable if you have the dexterity chops..fully admit.). In a typical RPG or MMO the bosses (and mobs in general) get huge with huge health reservoirs but their hitting power is proportionally weaker than it 'should' be. The players, on the other hand, even though they have very shallow hit point pools compared to the mobs and bosses, will start to hit like freight trains in comparison to their size. This is what allows a human sized male to tank a beast the size of a multi family house, even though the scenario itself is absurd.

There's also absorbs and resists and how if you take on mismatches, they tend to surface by design. In short, there was really no reason for Gearbox to add this poo poo in.

Still, I really love playing the game. Honest.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Jabarto posted:

I don't think I've ever defeated a pyre thresher.

Hate to break this to you but I think you suck at this game.

Sorry v:shobon:v

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 2, 2013

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Patch appears to be out, at least 10 minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

Patch appears to be out, at least 10 minutes ago.

Some people are already finding Pearls

It looks like they are all old guns, a mix of Pearls and Oranges from BL1. So far there's The Vladof Stalker (pistol), Hyperion Butcher (shotgun), Maliwan Orion (Sniper), Bandit Draco (AR, also a personal favorite from BL1)

• Locked thread