Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mario 64 is an excellent base surpassed by all the successors, including Sunshine (2nd best behind Galaxy trufax). Just like Ocarina with the other 3D zeldas (except SS gently caress that game) :colbert:

I came into the Sonic one too late and didn't feel like catching up, but I'm glad to get in on the ground floor of this inevitably abandoned madness.

That MB video was kind of bad though.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
these are cool vidoes to watch because you geninuely seem to hate each other and it makes for great viewing. Theres like a million mario games so good luck dudes.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Kytrarewn posted:

What are the odds on these guys finishing Galaxy 1 before Mico?

Well on the one hand, I'm incredibly lazy. On the other hand, Kyle and Keith are content producing machines but they have alot of ground to cover.

On the third hand I have like 15 stars left.

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

Mico posted:

Well on the one hand, I'm incredibly lazy. On the other hand, Kyle and Keith are content producing machines but they have alot of ground to cover.

On the third hand I have like 15 stars left.

You have three hands? That's amazing :v:

No, I'm more worried about diabeetus beating Mario Galaxy 2 before you beat Galaxy. It messes with my OCD over silly things for some reason.

MaestroUGC
Oct 31, 2012
You know, they were able to get through 20 Years of Sonic because there are relatively few games released each year. With Mario there's at least three that come out each year, be it main games or spin-offs. If they are not careful, they could be doing this for over a year, if they manage to speed through the main platformers and only marginally look at the side games.

On the plus side, the Mario Franchise is better about not getting stuck in a rut with gameplay than Sonic was, so here's hoping they don't burn out. Best of luck, Kyle and Keith!

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
I've had a first attempt at actually creating a 'playing map' of the Mario games. It's pretty dodgy, makes huge assumptions based on my own prejudices and info I've gather from the Super Mario wiki, covers only a small selection of the Mario cannon, and looks pretty funky because the only drawing software I have access to right now is as a part of Google Docs, but I thought I'd drop a first-draft here for people to give opinions on.

EDIT: I think I shared my private version. Try this link instead
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Sb53mKQWdI-2foyu0YCAkBQ6wDep2cAKZyvx1hOq0-I/edit

NeoAnjou fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 2, 2013

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
That story of Donkey Kong being called that because they looked up stubborn and came up with donkey would make way more sense if they looked up stubborn, saw the phrase "stubborn as a mule" and then mistranslated mule into donkey or something.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

As for Mario Bros, you guys were playing it wrong. See, the two player mode of that game was revolutionary for introducing rear end in a top hat physics to the world. The goal wasn't to beat the level cooperatively, it was to big as big a dick to each other as you could, whether it meant stealing kills, or bouncing them out of the way or whathaveyou. The proof is in the GBA remakes' garbage can mentioned above. My first girlfriend as a teen had a nintendo in her basement, and one lazy afternoon we decided to play SMB 3 just for fun, and instead spent the whole time just making each other lose at the Mario Bros minigame that would pop up if you both selected the same square on the map. Fun times.

Funny you should mention this. In the All-Stars version of SMB3, you can play the battle game from the menu. My friends and I turned this into a drinking game one night. I kept waiting for Kyle and Keith to start trying to kill each other while watching the video.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I used to hate DK Jr. I had some sort of DK+DK Jr combination pack (was that ever a thing? Because I totally remember having that) and I was so bad at DK Jr. I finally beat it and decided to never try it again, despite playing the poo poo out of DK.

This is definitely a thing, I had it. But I assumed DK Jr only had two levels, so I've never seen the other two.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You forgot to mention the worst thing about the PlayChoice, which was that it had a time limit on play.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

19LettersLong posted:

Hey I'm glad you guys are excited about Mario, but please try to take it easy on the "play this game," "where is this game," "don't forget this game" stuff. Don't worry. I got this.

wait but are you guys going to play Mario paint? Serious question.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Somethingdumb posted:

And what about Mario's Time Machine! I never saw what happens at the end and I am worried about Mario's safety! :ohdear:

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Stanley the bugman looks like an rear end in a top hat.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Somethingdumb posted:

I spent way too much time playing the fly swatting game. True fact.

Edit:

Oh my god, it should have been Stanley Paint!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ambitious Spider posted:

I spent way too much time playing the fly swatting game. True fact.

Edit:

Oh my god, it should have been Stanley Paint!

You can unlock the fly swatting game for the GBA in warioware.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Mario Paint is definitely one of the classic side games of the series, shown by, if nothing else, the number of people dedicated to orchestrating every piece of music ever in the composition program it included.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

4th Asclepiadean posted:

It helps that, while not all Mario games are equally good, and I'm sure some people don't like some of them, none of them are at least offensively bad or broken, unlike some of the later Sonic games.
I remember a lot of them being frustratingly hard though especially Mario Vs Donkey Kong.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Mario Paint is definitely one of the classic side games of the series, shown by, if nothing else, the number of people dedicated to orchestrating every piece of music ever in the composition program it included.

Well, they use a flash version that adds a ton more features, but yeah it's still basically the same composer.

E: Added quote.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's arguably better Mario composition tools out there, but I'll talk about that when the time comes. :science:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Trash Boat posted:

Wow, I've never actually seen the original arcade version of Mario Bros. in motion, so I had no idea how grating the walking sound effect was. Thank God that was fixed in later versions. As for the game itself (or the GBA releases at least), it's pretty fun for being a quick time waster, though there's not too much to say beyond that. Funny you brought up Smash Bros. as well, considering it made for the absolute worst Smash Bros. stage.

Actually it was the best Smash Bros. stage. :colbert:

The huge power that throwing a koopa has just turns the whole thing into a huge frenzy for who can nail who with what poor 8-bit animal the fastest and it is some fantastic fun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The worst Smash Bros. stage was clearly 75m, because those bouncing springs are dumb and stupid and everyone should hate them.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Dabir posted:

The worst Smash Bros. stage was clearly 75m, because those bouncing springs are dumb and stupid and everyone should hate them.

Honestly I thought that the pie factory would have made a better SSB stage.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Just wanted to say that I'll be looking forward to the LP and do want to read that Ultimate History of Video Games Kyle keeps mentioning.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wait... how will you guys know when a game isn't connected enough to the Mario franchise for you to ignore it? Y'know everyone says that the ref in the original Punch Out!!! was Mario. What about the Wario games? He's been in a few Mario games, they're brothers! Mario's Picross? He's in the game but it has nothing to do with Mario gameplay!!! Do you have to play every Mario-related sports outing game ever?

Jesus, where does it end??!!?

YOU MANIACS

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wait... how will you guys know when a game isn't connected enough to the Mario franchise for you to ignore it? Y'know everyone says that the ref in the original Punch Out!!! was Mario. What about the Wario games? He's been in a few Mario games, they're brothers! Mario's Picross? He's in the game but it has nothing to do with Mario gameplay!!! Do you have to play every Mario-related sports outing game ever?

YOU MANIACS

This can only end in tears.

Or WarioWare.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Dabir posted:

New Pork City is bad :colbert:

But 75m comes pretty close to being awful.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wait... how will you guys know when a game isn't connected enough to the Mario franchise for you to ignore it?

Mario's Picross? He's in the game but it has nothing to do with Mario gameplay!!!

Psst, Mario's more active in the Japanese sequel. You actually play as him walking from puzzle to puzzle.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Psst, Mario's more active in the Japanese sequel. You actually play as him walking from puzzle to puzzle.

It's a Mario game with an inconsequential amount of platforming in it!

I curse you to play Mario games... FOREVER

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Rocketlex posted:

This can only end in tears.

Or WarioWare.

In my experience, those are the same things.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Monkey Fracas posted:

YOU MANIACS

We will not be stopped.

Early NES Cameos (1983-1984)
(LP pt.4) [Youtube][Source]
Is that guy in Golf Mario? The debate rages on to this day.

The source videos for these games are tiny so I tried just putting this on Sendspace to get around Blip restrictions. We'll see how that goes for the three of you that download the source vids.

Wrecking Crew (1985)
(LP pt.5) [Youtube][Source]

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 5, 2013

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
Edit: I'm an idiot.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I like how the boxart for Pinball doesn't match the name at all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

argh, I gotta find that book with the Gunpei Yokai story in it.

Anywho, I've never really played wrecking crew on the NES before. (I've played the sub-par Game and Watch version). Pay close attention to the bonus stage music. It'll be familiar in a later game...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The referee is called an umpire in the tennis biz. :colbert:

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Pauline is dead. You killed her.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dylan McKay posted:

Pauline is dead. You killed her.

Hopefully Mario can find a new girlfriend.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
He had a thing going with Maria Sharapova for a while there. Cam was his wing-man.

e: I mean it was a bit weird what with her being a baby at the time but he's from Italy. Different standards and all that.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 5, 2013

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
In Keith's defense, Reggie does look like a Jerry.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
When you guys do that "Oh!" bit, where does that come from? Because every time you do it I keep expecting you to say "Ouendan!" and you never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'd never seen that Wrecking Crew game before. Seems like a pretty innovative and fun game, I'll have to give it a try some time soon.

• Locked thread