Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Crabtree posted:

UHVM is fine as long as people who aren't even at level 20 decide that this is where they should grind up their character.

Well UVHM doesn't even unlock until you finish the story missions in TVHM and reach level 50. It's assumed going in that you've got a decently strong character to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you aren't using slag, by the way (preferably in some way that doesn't require you to swap a weapon), you really should give it a try. With slag up and the proper elemental weapon chosen, things go down in seconds. Unfortunately this seems to mean that non-elemental weapons are sort of screwed, but...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Well UVHM doesn't even unlock until you finish the story missions in TVHM and reach level 50. It's assumed going in that you've got a decently strong character to start with.

Not in the game I recently played. As long as the person running the game unlocked UVHM, apparently their friends or anyone can join in despite their actual level. It was fun to fight 51-6s with at least three useful people, but oh god does it hurt to not have a real fourth player when the game thinks the gang's all there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

If you aren't using slag, by the way (preferably in some way that doesn't require you to swap a weapon), you really should give it a try. With slag up and the proper elemental weapon chosen, things go down in seconds. Unfortunately this seems to mean that non-elemental weapons are sort of screwed, but...

Or you could just slap on a torgue to go with your slag weapon and EXPLOSIONS

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
So while I'm playing through TVHM with my Commando, there's no longer any reason to save side quests, right? Everything should be available again in UVHM - which can be reset so everything should be available at level 61 if desired.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah Prety much. Everything scales in UVHM anyway so there's no real issue with over/under levelling a quest. This feels like how the entire game should have been.

I just got this off a Legendary Loot Midget -

Are these new? Apparently there are 3 or 4 etech relics, but I haven't ever seen one before.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Yeah Prety much. Everything scales in UVHM anyway so there's no real issue with over/under levelling a quest. This feels like how the entire game should have been.

I just got this off a Legendary Loot Midget -

Are these new? Apparently there are 3 or 4 etech relics, but I haven't ever seen one before.

:stare: That is new to me, and I kind of like the look of it. That is if I had a decent sniper rifle drop for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What they've done with UVHM just makes me realize that this is what TVHM should have been all along. They should have included more legendary drops and a few unique loot items that only drop in TVHM to make the playthrough about more than just pushing through the story as fast as possible.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Some of Gearbox's info dumps about the this update included talk about new incredibly powerful relics to match the return of the Pearlescent weapons to Borderlands. I'm already salivating over guns like the Bearcat assault rifle that shoots grenades that can bounce off walls - or the Tediore Avenger that not only regenerates ammo, but when you toss the gun it fires out blindly in a 360 arc.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 3, 2013

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Crabtree posted:

Some of Gearbox's info dumps about the this update included talk about new incredibly powerful relics to match the return of the Pearlescent weapons to Borderlands. I'm already salivating over guns like the Bearcat assault rifle that shoots grenades that can bounce off walls - or the Tediore Avenger that not only regenerates ammo, but when you toss the gun it fires out blindly in a 360 arc.

I had a slag Avenger drop last night. It is a lot of fun.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Gerdalti posted:

What DLC is worth getting now? I haven't played in awhile and have none, but I want to come back. Should I get the Season Pass and UHVM?

Scarlet is the most fun and has a unique oppressive vibe and interesting environments. Torgue has some good lines, good quest rewards and the best arena style gameplay. Hammerlock is a boring slog.

isoprenaline fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 3, 2013

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:stare: That is new to me, and I kind of like the look of it. That is if I had a decent sniper rifle drop for me.

There is one apparently that adds extra damage for one type of elemental, AND boosts cooldown rate. My siren wants one of those sooo bad.

So we just went through the Fridge and back to Sanctuary. Gluttonous thresher was easier than expected, but what hit us hard were the goddamn Crystalisks. Fuckers are immune to slag or any status effects, and have a SHITTON of health. Even torgue weapons were hardly scratching them. Melee is still good but getting close is dangerous.

Crabtree posted:

Bearcat assault rifle that shoots grenades that can bounce off walls

Don't Jakobs Cannon assault rifles basically do this already?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Man, medical mystery is at its worst in uvhm. Taking forever to get these 25 bandit kills.

Edit: Also rabid enemies can go eat a dick. Fuckers just will not die.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Don't Jakobs Cannon assault rifles basically do this already?

Do those explosive rounds also explode into small MIRVs? I'm still checking out wikis and videos trying to learn as much as I can, so you're guess is as good as mine whether the new guns are worth it or not.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
So, does anyone know if the Treasure Room™ scales with level in UVHM?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Just finished playing a bit of UVHM with a friend. At one point we opened a chest to be greeted by FOUR INFINITIES.

We didn't actually take them though. We just laughed our asses off and moved on, assuming it was the game's way of mocking us for cheesing it with two Anarchy Mechromancers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LAY-ZX posted:

Just finished playing a bit of UVHM with a friend. At one point we opened a chest to be greeted by FOUR INFINITIES.

We didn't actually take them though. We just laughed our asses off and moved on, assuming it was the game's way of mocking us for cheesing it with two Anarchy Mechromancers.
Now I sort of want to try a Gunzerker build who has various elemental Infinities in every weapon slot. Never stop firing. Literally!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Speaking of Infinities, are they ever going to let anarchy mechros use them? Rather sucks to be locked out of a pretty sweet gun if you take a certain skill.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That you absolutely have to take to advance in that tree, no less.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kaethela posted:

Speaking of Infinities, are they ever going to let anarchy mechros use them? Rather sucks to be locked out of a pretty sweet gun if you take a certain skill.

Such is the steep price of cosmic power. :science:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So, I couldn't kill Captain Flynt with a pair of DP Harolds alone on UVHM. :catstare:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

So, I couldn't kill Captain Flynt with a pair of DP Harolds alone on UVHM. :catstare:

Slag him and kite him! I don't remember him having such a big nova attack but you have to skirt outside of it or he'll ruin you. Also mind the fire vents.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I had to switch from my Harolds to a Chulainn and Tattler for Flynt. I need a better slagging weapon but so far switching from the Chulainn to my dual Harolds to mop up has been working like gangbusters.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I got him by swapping out one of my Harolds with my slag Rubi. Just didn't expect the cheesiest Sal setup possible to not be able to kill the first real boss.

Aside from Flynt, it hasn't been too bad so far. Enemy damage isn't really noticeably higher but they take a lot more shots to go down. 5/5 Money Shot, then maxing out the skill for weapon swap speed seems like a must-have for UVHM.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah I got him by swapping out one of my Harolds with my slag Rubi. Just didn't expect the cheesiest Sal setup possible to not be able to kill the first real boss.

Aside from Flynt, it hasn't been too bad so far. Enemy damage isn't really noticeably higher but they take a lot more shots to go down. 5/5 Money Shot, then maxing out the skill for weapon swap speed seems like a must-have for UVHM.

I am rather glad that I have a Legendary Soldier mod so I can put 1 point into Expertise and swap weapons at light speed (and I'm curious what level 10 would be like).

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Kaethela posted:

I don't know, for my Mechro using one of each elemental Infinity (with Shock getting all those bonuses from Little Big Trouble), just holding fire down with 5 points in Close Enough, one point in Anarchy (and nothing else in that tree obviously) but 11 in Cooking Up Trouble and therefore constant health regeneration of thousands per second seems like a fair trade off.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I am rather glad that I have a Legendary Soldier mod so I can put 1 point into Expertise and swap weapons at light speed (and I'm curious what level 10 would be like).

I have it at 9 and it swaps in the blink of an eye basically.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zereth posted:

Now I sort of want to try a Gunzerker build who has various elemental Infinities in every weapon slot. Never stop firing. Literally!
Unless they've changed it with the patch, you'd have to settle for pairing one of your infinities with a slagging anarchist as slag isn't an available element for Infinities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZombyDog posted:

Unless they've changed it with the patch, you'd have to settle for pairing one of your infinities with a slagging anarchist as slag isn't an available element for Infinities.
drat.

I was using a normal-elemental Infinity with a purple double-shot Vladof slag pistol offhand the last few zones , and it worked pretty well. (When I didn't swap out for a corrosive or fire weapon, anyway.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Levels 51-61 scale way differently than 1-50. I'm at level 56 and my level 50 legendaries still work very well, although normal drops are starting to pull ahead in stats a bit. Someone on the Gearbox forums said they got to 61 just using their level 50 legendaries.

Also with the increased drop rates, UVHM Pete apparently drops 2-3 oranges almost every time, and can drop pearlescents.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

I must be doing something wrong, me and another guy went through the first section through Flynt and didn't find anything better than a purple Vladof pistol. Flynt himself dropped nothing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I'm not sure about the drop rates any more. Played more UVHM last night and the drops were kinda bad. Even CE boosted. Needs more testing I guess.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Blasted through Big Game Hunter on UVHM last night with my brother. Neither of us have awesome gear. Compared to going from PT1 to TVHM, this seemed a lot less punishing as long you always always use elemental weapons. Slag in particular. Sure there's plenty of dying horribly and skipping past mobs we didn't have the right elements for but all in all it didn't really feel unfair, considering the difficulty is named Ultimate. Even killed a few lv 55 mobs, at 51.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
So is this the 4th piece of DLC for the season pass?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

xiw posted:

So is this the 4th piece of DLC for the season pass?

No, just a perk for having it. We're still getting another campaign DLC.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm actually having a significantly easier time in UVHM than TVHM or PT1, probably because my gear was so awful for those.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just picked up a corrosive Butcher. Hoooly poo poo. MELT, ROBOTS, MELT

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Whoa, had my first pearl drop while in coop with a friend. Robot dropped a cool slag smg titled the Avenger. What an amazing weapon.

Also speaking of robots, the repair flying bots are absolute bitches in Ultimate.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Amazon has the game for $20 and the season pass for $10 today, which is a steal, especially for the season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LanceKing2200 posted:

Amazon has the game for $20 and the season pass for $10 today, which is a steal, especially for the season pass.

And only $25 for both together, so if you're thinking of jumping on the bandwagon of this game, go for it.

• Locked thread