Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magna Kaser posted:

Hey more food.

卤肉 Stewed Meat

This is a pretty simple recipe but is very versatile in what you can do with it. Pronounced Lu3Rou4, this dish originally comes from Shandong but in the present is synonymous with Taiwan cuisine as about a zillion Shandong people fled escaped went on a still-not-over vacation to Taiwan in 1949.

Ingredients
  1. Beef or mutton. You can use pretty much any cut you'd like, though beef shank seems to be the most commonly used. Because we're stewing it probably best to not go with super expensive cuts.
  2. Ginger
  3. Cinnamon/Cassia
  4. Green onions
  5. Bay leaves
  6. Star Anise
  7. Salt, Sugar and MSG
  8. Soy sauce
  9. Cooking wine/Shaoxing Wine

Depending on the size of your pot and how big your cut of meat is, you may want to start by cutting the meat into more manageable chunks. That done, poke a bunch of holes in the meat with your knife or fork or whatever. Blanch the meat in rapidly boiling water for about 5 minutes, drain, rinse and cool.

In your pot, put the meat, about 4-5 star anise, one or two sticks of cinnamon, a good helping of ginger, a couple bay leaves, a 1:1 mixture of soy sauce and cooking wine (About 2/3 a cup to one cup depending on how much meat you're cooking), some chopped onions and a bit of sugar if you want. Stick the cooled meat in and throw in enough water so the meat is just almost submerged, get the water boiling and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1-2hours.

Once its tender, turn off the heat and let the meat cool before taking it out. If you're impatient you can put it in the fridge, but make sure it's still in the liquid as it cools. Once it's cool you can do one of a zillion things with it. Here are some suggestions:

Eat it as a cold appetizer!
In China, cold meat appetizers are very common and lurou is a pretty common one in Taiwan and Shandong. Slice it in thin slices against the grain and serve. You can also make a dipping sauce of garlic, soy sauce and vinegar (chilies too if you like spicy).

Lu rou fan
Probably the most commonly eaten form of Lurou in China, is Lurou Fan. The quintessential Taiwanese dish, it's scarfed down by millions every day as a cheap and nice lunch from many roadside vendors. Take your meat and dice it, get a wok hot and stir fry it with vegetables of your choosing. Add in some soy, ginger, garlic and starch to thicken up the sauce and serve over rice. Usually paired with a Lu dan (Hardboiled egg, usually hard boiled in the same kind of liquid you stew your meat in).

Soup
Lu rou is a great starter for soup. Throw a few bones in and some extra water, a few more onions maybe, and you'll have a decent soup stock. A common lu rou soup will have onions, some sort of pickled vegetable (xue cai 雪菜), and tomatoes.

Is this good with beef shin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is this good with beef shin?

Yeah that's what a lot of people use for it. Also depending on the size of your cuts, and really, how much meat you're using this could take a lot longer than 2 hours. Over here any cut of beef is $$$$ so I only had two tiny pieces and about 2 hours got it nice and tender.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 28, 2013

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Not Zhčjiang ( 浙江), the province surrounding Shanghai, but Zhčnjiang (镇江), a city in Jiangsu province. Which is confusingly enough the neighbour province of Zhčjiang. :B

Oh oops. Well to be honest my chinese geography sucks in general anyway.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
So I've got a Lodge cast iron wok that I'm pretty comfortable using, but oddly enough have never really stir-fried in. I mostly use it to deep fry and steam (with some bamboo steamers) or really anytime I need to get a good sear going. I gather that it isn't that authentic or nimble as a normal carbon steel wok, but is there any reason for me to go out and buy something else when I already have one? My puny gas burners take awhile to heat it up, but I imagine as long as I invest in a nice wok spatula I should be able to get pretty decent results.

Turkey burner and traditional wok sound like the best way to go, but I live in Wisconsin and we save the turkey burners for beer brewing (or when it isn't freezing cold outside).

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Honestly you'll probably get a little closer to the heat you need with your cast iron than a thin carbon steel one. The heat in the carbon steel would drop immediately when stuff goes in and if your burners aren't great it'll take too long to get back up to temp to cook properly. The only issue I would have with the cast iron is that you won't have the immediately responsive heat control you'd get with a badass burner and carbon steel. Heat manipulation is a huge part of being a good wok cook but yeah I'm sure you can get some good results, you'll just have to be real careful not to burn stuff once you get it ripping hot (there's a difference between a bit of nice wok char and just being burnt).

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I've been looking at a 15,000 BTU butane stove I found at a shop in Chinatown, and I've been mulling over whether or not it's worth it. The cheaper models seem to range from 7000-9000 BTU.

I've done stir-fry on a turkey fryer which was glorious, but my living situation for the forseeable future doesn't allow me to have one. If I'm going for maximum heat output, that stove is the best I'm going to be able to do. I guess it's better to have something to cook on than not at all, but is 15,000 that much of an improvement over something like 9,000 enough to justify the cost?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I found some yu choy. I've never eaten yu choy. What do I do with it?

I'm thinking treating it like gai lan would be good and tossing some oyster sauce on it, or the simple veggie stir fry. Any other--and more interesting--suggestions?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

It's really tender, much more so than gai lan, so you really shouldn't cook it too long or it'll be a limp mess; just a real quick stir fry and it should be good. If you're cooking it with other veggies, I'd get them cooked through first then throw the yu choy in right at the end and give it a few tosses on the heat. It's relatively sweet in the stems with a mild mustard flavor to the leaves.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Tenderloin posted:

So I've got a Lodge cast iron wok that I'm pretty comfortable using, but oddly enough have never really stir-fried in. I mostly use it to deep fry and steam (with some bamboo steamers) or really anytime I need to get a good sear going. I gather that it isn't that authentic or nimble as a normal carbon steel wok, but is there any reason for me to go out and buy something else when I already have one? My puny gas burners take awhile to heat it up, but I imagine as long as I invest in a nice wok spatula I should be able to get pretty decent results.

Turkey burner and traditional wok sound like the best way to go, but I live in Wisconsin and we save the turkey burners for beer brewing (or when it isn't freezing cold outside).

I bought a couple cast-iron skillets today that were smaller size for $1.50 each to match my big one. Any thrift stores near you sir? That's where I find my skillets.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
Yu choy is really good in a brothy soups. Quick sautee some garlic, giner and get some chicken stock, toss in some fishballs or meat, tomatoes and the stalks of the veggie first. Once that is almost tender, turn off the heat and dump the leaves in. You can also do wonton soup.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Thanks for the tips! It's really good.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

fartzilla posted:

I've been looking at a 15,000 BTU butane stove I found at a shop in Chinatown, and I've been mulling over whether or not it's worth it. The cheaper models seem to range from 7000-9000 BTU.

I've done stir-fry on a turkey fryer which was glorious, but my living situation for the forseeable future doesn't allow me to have one. If I'm going for maximum heat output, that stove is the best I'm going to be able to do. I guess it's better to have something to cook on than not at all, but is 15,000 that much of an improvement over something like 9,000 enough to justify the cost?

So an update on this, I wound up buying the stove and I now highly recommend it if you want the highest heat output you can manage if your stove sucks and you can't have a propane burner. I picked up some cheap butane cans at a Chinatown shop, which work fine even though the instructions say you have to use Iwatani brand butane.

I'm still depressingly wokless, but I got some very impressive results when I used the stove to season a cast iron skillet and cook fajitas in it over extremely high heat. I have no doubt this would translate over to similarly impressive results with a wok.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I tried Ziir's siu yuk recipe today. It was a complete failure. I had the oven on its highest setting (and a toaster oven, like his), but the pork skin would not crisp. I left it in about twenty minutes and there was no movement at all on the skin, so I switched to the broiler. It just ended up burning and never really crisping up well. I pulled it after a total of forty minutes and it was as dry and leathery as you might expect, and the skin had only partially crisped. The parts that had bubbled up were blackened from the heat.

I'm trying the other method next but what's the deal? I dried the pork in the fridge, the skin was salted and very thoroughly punctured. Fat was rendering out the holes like it was supposed to. I followed the recipe to the letter, I don't understand why it hosed up so badly.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Grand Fromage posted:

I tried Ziir's siu yuk recipe today. It was a complete failure. I had the oven on its highest setting (and a toaster oven, like his), but the pork skin would not crisp. I left it in about twenty minutes and there was no movement at all on the skin, so I switched to the broiler. It just ended up burning and never really crisping up well. I pulled it after a total of forty minutes and it was as dry and leathery as you might expect, and the skin had only partially crisped. The parts that had bubbled up were blackened from the heat.

I'm trying the other method next but what's the deal? I dried the pork in the fridge, the skin was salted and very thoroughly punctured. Fat was rendering out the holes like it was supposed to. I followed the recipe to the letter, I don't understand why it hosed up so badly.
Did you brush the skin with high-proof booze (vodka works best) or alkaline water? Doing that will break down the skin a little and make it more likely to bubble.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tupperwarez posted:

Did you brush the skin with high-proof booze (vodka works best) or alkaline water? Doing that will break down the skin a little and make it more likely to bubble.

No, that's the other recipe. I'm trying it next, but I don't want it to gently caress up too. Will some skin just not crisp up without burning?

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
I just bought Fuschia Dunlop's Sichuan Cookery. What should I cook first?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ma po doufu and water-cooked fish.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I really like the mapo tofu, the Dan Dan noodles, and the tiger something bell peppers. The potato slivers are great, if unusual. Really everything I've made from it has been delicious.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

tilp posted:

The Zhong crescent dumplings, dry-fried chicken, and dry-fried green beans.

Also the mapo tofu WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So there is this great Chinese restaurant around the corner from my house with very odd hours 4pm-330am, and delicious mapo tofu and spicy green beans.

The green beans are on the vegetarian menu but come have ground pork in them. Sooo good.

Anyway, I was thinking of asking for something spicy and awesome and not normally on a menu, but would be known/reasonable to make. The reason I ask, is the owner was very surprised, and pleased, that my friend and i ordered traditional Chinese and not bastardized/American take out style.

I was thinking maybe the 小煎鸡 Spicy fried chicken. Should i just write that down and hope?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

toplitzin posted:

So there is this great Chinese restaurant around the corner from my house with very odd hours 4pm-330am, and delicious mapo tofu and spicy green beans.

The green beans are on the vegetarian menu but come have ground pork in them. Sooo good.

Anyway, I was thinking of asking for something spicy and awesome and not normally on a menu, but would be known/reasonable to make. The reason I ask, is the owner was very surprised, and pleased, that my friend and i ordered traditional Chinese and not bastardized/American take out style.

I was thinking maybe the 小煎鸡 Spicy fried chicken. Should i just write that down and hope?

Is it a sichuan or generally spicy place? 小煎鸡 is a dish from Sichuan/Hunan. It helps if you know what area the people come from. When I lived in Columbus, Ohio (Which has a zillion Chinese people and a zillion authentic restaurants for whatever reason) I asked for 地三鲜 at a place that was Sichuanese and the waitress got all snooty at me about how they aren't wimpy northeasterners and I should eat something spicy,

Weirdly enough now I am in actual Sichuan and it's everywhere :smith:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Here's their menu, does that help?

http://imgur.com/a/vLlIj

Correction: it was the "vegetarian" ma-po, that was full of delicious pork.
we also had the shredded pork with garlic sauce, and their "special spicy pork lo mein"

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Got another Fuchsia Dunlop question. I got Every Grain of Rice recently and am enjoying it very much, but a lot of the recipes call for chili oil, with or without sediment depending on the recipe. I've been using laoganma - does she mean something else?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Chilli oil is literally oil infused with chilli flakes. Usually a cup of oil heated and 2-3T of chilli flakes added to it.
Way too simple a thing to buy pre made stuff unless you can't get any chillies cheap.

Some are as simple as heating up some peanut oil, adding the chilli, then some sesame oil and that's it.
Others chuck a bit of garlic or onion or sesame seeds or spices. Cook it off, strain, cool and bottle.

They're mainly about the oil and heat and chilli flavour, so if a recipe calls for it, it's not expecting loa gan ma sauce there to cover all flavour duties.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 3, 2013

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
If you're going to do room temperature oils with garlic, read up on botulism and safety first.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
There's a bit of a difference between chucking some raw garlic cloves into an olive oil bottle for flavoured olive oil to use at room temps, compared to cooking garlic in an oil, straining to remove the garlic/onion/large solids, and storing the flavoured oil and then reheating the oil for use in cooking.
If the latter was unsafe, then no one could ever reuse oil they deep fried in for example.
Edit: But yeah, in the former case, botulism risk, as nothing ever is cooked...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 3, 2013

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Got another Fuchsia Dunlop question. I got Every Grain of Rice recently and am enjoying it very much, but a lot of the recipes call for chili oil, with or without sediment depending on the recipe. I've been using laoganma - does she mean something else?

There's a fairly serious recipe here
http://www.ladyandpups.com/2012/10/25/sichuan-chili-oil-eng/

Lao Gan Ma has sichuan pepper in it so it's fine, although AFAIK it should be just the oil, not the bits.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

branedotorg posted:

There's a fairly serious recipe here
http://www.ladyandpups.com/2012/10/25/sichuan-chili-oil-eng/

Lao Gan Ma has sichuan pepper in it so it's fine, although AFAIK it should be just the oil, not the bits.

Man, I don't think the Asian market here even has green sichuan peppercorn. Is that a common ingredient?

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

tilp posted:

I was going to take the advice in this thread... but I finished work too late to get to the Asian supermarket. So instead I came home and cooked Tai Bai Chicken (although I subbed in fresh mild red chillies for the pickled ones). It is DELICIOUS.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Man, I don't think the Asian market here even has green sichuan peppercorn. Is that a common ingredient?

Dunno, I've seen them occasionally in Melbourne but TBH I think you can live without. The flavour is apparently lighter than than the red but that's second hand knowledge from the internet.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bunnielab posted:

Let me know if you ever find some.

I know this is a super-old post, but what about the butchers at Eastern Market or Union Market? Red Apron is probably expensive as gently caress, but the other butcher at Union Market is pretty reasonable IMO.

edit - and if I kept reading I'd have seen you already went to Eastern Market...

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2013

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Is there a stewed beef recipe equivalent that's good for a whole chicken?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chicken is mostly cut into parts and braised, simmering it whole is unpractical with the kitchen equipment most Chinese have had available.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I did the vodka method siu yuk.

My Chinese friend declared it identical to Hong Kong. It worked waaaaay better than the first method, this is the way I'll always be doing it.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Look in the back of the book - there's a whole section where she describes all the ingredients she uses and where to get them/what to substitute. The method she uses for making chili oil is in there (no szechuan pepper as I recall, just chilies). I just tend to buy big pots of chili oil at one of the local chinese supermarkets, they all come with a nice layer of sediment.

If the US edition is somehow different and doesn't have that bit in the back (which would be a shame, it's a great description of the ingredients), I'm happy to scan the relevant bit for you and post it.

Fuchsia :allears:

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Has anybody got a good (read: authentic) recipe for Hoisin sauce they can drop on me? I'm prepping to make Ah Leung's Ma po tofu, and just realized hoisin's about all that I haven't got.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm gonna pollute this thread by asking about how to make egg roll wrappers. My friend has never had American Chinese food and would like to try it. I'd like to make some egg rolls but I don't have a clue about the wrapper. I don't think it's just a wonton skin. Has anybody made them?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bottles and cans posted:

Has anybody got a good (read: authentic) recipe for Hoisin sauce they can drop on me? I'm prepping to make Ah Leung's Ma po tofu, and just realized hoisin's about all that I haven't got.

I'm sure it's a thing, but making hoisin is kinda like making soy sauce. There's almost no point.

That said I don't think I've seen a single ma po tofu recipe with it.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Then I'll be using this one, with soybean paste standing in for peanut butter, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm gonna pollute this thread by asking about how to make egg roll wrappers. My friend has never had American Chinese food and would like to try it. I'd like to make some egg rolls but I don't have a clue about the wrapper. I don't think it's just a wonton skin. Has anybody made them?

It's difficult. You use a very thin dough rubbed into circles on a flat heated surface. Normally it's done on a semi-industrial basis with one shop that every restaurant and housewife in the neighbourhood buys from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLIYqGn50Sc