Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The encryption was implemented in ZFS after Oracle bought Sun and closed the sources off. You won't find ZFS specific encryption in FreeBSD/FreeNAS. Any encryption you'll get is via GEOM, the storage management layer between the hardware and the filesystems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Newegg has the N54L on sale today for $299 after $90 instant rebate, plus you get a $50 MIR card, so $249.99 after the dust settles...today only. Here is a link to the deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d1cb171134df2a9

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Perick posted:

Newegg has the N54L on sale today for $299 after $90 instant rebate, plus you get a $50 MIR card, so $249.99 after the dust settles...today only. Here is a link to the deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d1cb171134df2a9

I'm having huge buyers remorse for my N40L purchase, which was like 30 bucks less..

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
I was waffling between the HP or one of the Synology/Qnap units, but for a 4 bay model, this deal cinched it for me. Now I've just got to figure out if I want to run Freenas, WHS, or Winserver 2012 on it. I'm reading through the thread to hopefully get an idea of which will best suit my needs. (movie storage for media streaming)

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

You've piqued my interest with this Snapraid. It sounds very much like something that would suit my needs (my intention is a media archive). If you set this up, windows machines can read the partition as one huge drive?

I have my N40L running ubuntu server, with snapraid doing the parity and aufs the drive pooling (basically followed this guy's guide: http://zackreed.me/articles/72-snapraid-on-ubuntu-12-04). Aufs combines multiple drives in a single mountpoint - if you browse that you see the contents of all drives as one partition and if you drop data there aufs will decide which physical drive it will go on (you chose either to distribute space evenly or to try and keep whole folders on one drive). So yeah, I share that pooled mountpoint on the network and other machines see it as one big drive.

If you want to run snapraid under Windows, there are other solutions which can do the pooling for you, and the upcoming version 3 of snapraid seems to include some pooling solution of its own - check their website and sourceforge page (http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/index.html)

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Question for those of you with a 40L or 54L... I think I'm going to give Windows 2012 a try and use a 250gb SATA drive I have for the OS. If I wanted to do a 2.5" SSD instead, is there a mount you'd recommend to make it work in the 54L?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Perick posted:

Question for those of you with a 40L or 54L... I think I'm going to give Windows 2012 a try and use a 250gb SATA drive I have for the OS. If I wanted to do a 2.5" SSD instead, is there a mount you'd recommend to make it work in the 54L?

I've built several N40Ls (which is the same case as the N54L) and used this every time: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8923/hdc-65/Noiseblocker_NB_X-Swing_HDD_Adapter_Noise_Reducer.html?tl=g34c273s852
Most SSDs come with a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket which you would then mount inside that bracket I just linked. It fits perfectly in the N40L/N54L.

Unrelated: I'm just now setting up ZFS replication instead of using rsync. Is it possible to replicate the root volume with child datasets? I have a periodic snapshot to do the volume with recursive enabled. When I setup the replication task, it simply doesn't replicate. However, if I specifically snapshot the datasets and setup replication tasks for those, they replicate. When I try to do a zfs send command for the root volume, I get a "cannot receive new filesystem stream destination [volume name] exists" on a completely empty volume with no snapshots on the remote system.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 26, 2013

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
My SSD now sits in the DuoSwap I linked earlier, but before that I just gaffer-taped it straight into the ODD slot.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Anyone else have these Hitachi 7k3000 drives? Out of 8 drives, I just had my third one die in less than a year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm running an N40L with WHS 2011 on 4gb ECC ram. If I want to go to 8gb should I stick with ECC or does it not matter? This is a personal home server, my important stuff is offsite as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 29, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FCKGW posted:

I'm running an N40L with WHS 2011 on 4gb ECC ram. If I want to go to 8gb should I stick with ECC or does it not matter? This is a personal home server, my important stuff is offsite as well.

It doesn't matter as long as all of the ram is of the same type. If they're the same price, get ECC. If not, don't. I have 8 gigs of non-ecc running FreeNAS and it's fine.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if this is still the realm of "consumer" storage anymore, but I do use these at home. The trays and disks arrived for my Dell R710. Eight 300 GB Velociraptor 2.5". Cheaper than SAS or solid state drives.

That was the last piece I needed for this server to get it functional, but I might end up swapping out the M1015 for something else. XCP is installed and running, but this still needs a lot of work before it is ready. This set of upgrades is also not done, as I have a Dell R510 sitting above it in the rack with no RAID controller. I also have 4 Gbit fiber channel cards installed, while missing the switch and cables.

The R710 is running two E5645 (6-core 2.4 GHz) processors and 288 GB of RAM. Stress testing was a bit interesting without the drives.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

thideras posted:

I'm not sure if this is still the realm of "consumer" storage anymore, but I do use these at home. The trays and disks arrived for my Dell R710. Eight 300 GB Velociraptor 2.5". Cheaper than SAS or solid state drives.

That was the last piece I needed for this server to get it functional, but I might end up swapping out the M1015 for something else. XCP is installed and running, but this still needs a lot of work before it is ready. This set of upgrades is also not done, as I have a Dell R510 sitting above it in the rack with no RAID controller. I also have 4 Gbit fiber channel cards installed, while missing the switch and cables.

The R710 is running two E5645 (6-core 2.4 GHz) processors and 288 GB of RAM. Stress testing was a bit interesting without the drives.

Quite a beefy home setup there. Whatcha using it for?

Also PM me if you are interested in selling that M1015. :)

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

Quite a beefy home setup there. Whatcha using it for?

Also PM me if you are interested in selling that M1015. :)
These two servers will be virtual machine hosts running XCP (Xen Cloud Platform) with a slew of different operating systems. I like to play around with servers and operating systems, so what it is running will change from week to week. There are a few base virtual machines that always run, such as security cameras, server monitoring (Icinga), MySQL databases, many Windows servers (MSDN through school), etc. Right now, I'm gearing up for the yearly Chimp Challenge (Folding@Home). Main use is learning what I find interesting. Sometimes these virtual machines become permanent additions.

These are replacing two IBM x3650 M1 servers and two Dell PowerEdge 2650's. The upgrades for the IBM servers just aren't worth it: RAM is expensive considering the amount you get. The 2650's were just old.

I'll let you know on the controller. I may decide to simply get a second one for the R510.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The cost of the RDIMMs alone in that machine is probably several times more expensive than most people's servers in here. I have a VMware background and even my home lab use stuff has been far cheaper than that. Granted, with VMware setups the cost of your storage will probably be 60% of your cost, but that's what my ZFS file server's been good for historically and I can just run ESXi in VMs under Fusion or Workstation ok for what I do.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Looked at some stats cause I got a new disk. CrystalDiskInfo says my new WD Red supports the ACS-2 Standard while my 2TB WD Green is ATA8-ACS. According to the german wiki page this stuff is protocal enhancements and includes temperature data and other types of info that are improved over the SMART functions. I was unable to find any info past that. Does anyone know about this stuff? Are there any utilities that can read this info?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FATA%2FATAPI

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just noticed that with the latest release of ZFS On Linux, the devs are now saying its ready and usable for widespread deployment.

Just thought I'd post that because every once in awhile someone will ask about it in this thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is snapdev a vendor specific property, as they're supported in the Illumos branch of ZFS, or is this just an incompatible format change?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

I just noticed that with the latest release of ZFS On Linux, the devs are now saying its ready and usable for widespread deployment.

Just thought I'd post that because every once in awhile someone will ask about it in this thread.

Thank you for this. I was the one who was asking about it. This comes just in time as I was having some issues with my freenas box and was considering changing to something else.

Has anyone imported a zpool built in freenas in to Linux? Anything I should be aware of?

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m looking for a replacement for my current storage solution, which is a 3 year old Drobo S attached to a Mac Mini HTPC/homeserver.

My requirements are:
  • 5-bays or more (RAID6 or RAID5 with hot spare)
  • USB, Firewire 800 (my old mac mini doesn’t have usb 3.0 or thunderbolt) or gigabit ethernet
  • low power consumption (preferably with a timed deep standby mode and wake on lan)
  • performance isn’t important, everything above 20mb/s is fine.
  • noise isn’t important, it’s in the closet anyway
  • no complicated and fragile homebrew ZFS/btrfs solution - I used to run a Solaris ZFS box years ago and don’t have the time for maintenance anymore, the thing just has to work all the time.

Looking at this thread, it seems like DAS solutions like the old Drobo are dead.
The closest NAS I’ve found so far is the Synology DS1512+, which would also allow me to "offload" a lot of tasks from the mac mini to the NAS which might save me some power because the mini can stay in standby.
It’s too bad that the Atom in the DS1512+ can’t transcode Plex content in 1080p or I could have ditched the mac mini entirely. The DS1513+ will use the same CPU it seems.

Is there anything else I should consider?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I know you said you don't want a "fragile" ZFS solution, but FreeNAS/NAS4Free seriously takes all of about 30 minutes to setup and instal, and will happily keep trucking along for you basically forever. Virtually all the talk of maintenance on them in this thread is from people either trying to eek out the best performance (which you already stated isn't an issue for you), or try to do something that it wasn't really designed to do (eg, expand in-place). It's actually very, very good at "set it and forget it." A DIY option also saves you probably $400 off a DS1512+ while providing enough CPU oopmh to ditch your mac mini entirely. If you really don't want a ZFS-solution, you can do basically the same thing with a DIY Windows Server 2012, which you may still be able to get for free (legally) from WebsiteSpark or MSDN.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

eames posted:

Is there anything else I should consider?

As DrDork said, a self built box is something that could fit your needs. Not only is it cheaper, it's got all the power to run your NAS and HTPC needs in one piece. An i3-3220 runs hardware transcoding with ease. The FreeNAS setup is made for even the laziest person (me) out there and still has room for lots of customization in form of plugins.

My G1610+ASRock B75 Pro3-M with 4x3 TB Reds runs at 23W idle, and, if I would get a small hdd/ssd instead of the usb drive, could go into suspend-to-ram and wake on lan for even less. From what I've seen on specs of those synology/qnap boxes they're on the same level of power consumption.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless there's a hardware issue making it a problem to run FreeBSD or Illumos, I still don't think you should run a ZFS system on Linux.

As far as Solaris and maintenance goes, I've ran it too for years on my desktop. There was zero maintenance, except what I've burdened upon myself (compiling and installing/updating apps from source that weren't in the repo). v:confused:v I'd still be running it, weren't Oracle such twats.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

thideras posted:

This post made me miss playing with a Thumper. RIP Sun.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I've got a 5 drive FreeNAS system using RAIDZ1 - is there any maintenance stuff I need to be doing daily/weekly/monthly to keep things running happily?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

crm posted:

I've got a 5 drive FreeNAS system using RAIDZ1 - is there any maintenance stuff I need to be doing daily/weekly/monthly to keep things running happily?

Weekly scrub tends to be the recommendation.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Some questions:

* Has anyone here run the Synology software on a N40L / N54L? Would you recommend it?

* Is there a nice centralized MP3 server that I can hook into with various clients (i.e. iTunes, Winamp, Foobar, so on and so forth)? It's a real pain in the rear end having some songs at home / work / etc. and not at the others.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012
What procedure are you using for "breaking in" a new HDD?

I ordered a 4TB Hitachi 0S03356 Deskstar 7K4000 and want to verify its condition before putting into production.

Years back I used Spinrite for data recovery. Is it still valid as a method?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Our ad-hoc burn-ins are composed of a couple concurrent sessions of bonnie++ and badblocks. Let it run for 24-48 hours. You might not actually have access to either of these tools, depending on what the underlying NAS runs...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm getting 4 free 1 tb drives.

I'd like to use them to replace my old nas setup of a lovely old computer with 4x 500 gig drives in software raid 5.

I was looking at synology and qnap appliances, but they look underpowered.

Here is the things I am looking for, raid 5, serving to a front end. FTP + torrent support.

I REALLY like the idea of a roku as a front end for netflix and plex, but the issue is a budget qnap or synology wont have enough balls to transcode. But if I go with an N54L with freenas, I cant put plex on the drat thing. unraid has a plex client but I see little in the way of other plugins.

I'm trying to find the perfect solution and there isn't one unless you guys have things I haven't heard of as suggestions. If I could put the sweet nas software on an N54L I'd be happy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Slow is Fast posted:

I'd like to use them to replace my old nas setup of a lovely old computer with 4x 500 gig drives in software raid 5.

Here is the things I am looking for, raid 5, serving to a front end. FTP + torrent support.

I REALLY like the idea of a roku as a front end for netflix and plex, but the issue is a budget qnap or synology wont have enough balls to transcode. But if I go with an N54L with freenas, I cant put plex on the drat thing. unraid has a plex client but I see little in the way of other plugins.

I'm trying to find the perfect solution and there isn't one unless you guys have things I haven't heard of as suggestions. If I could put the sweet nas software on an N54L I'd be happy.

I though the N54L wasn't really fast enough for transcoding either except 480p and some 720p.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I though the N54L wasn't really fast enough for transcoding either except 480p and some 720p.

Well gently caress. So I'd need a ballsy front end to run openelec oh wait that can't do netflix gently caress me.

This is why I keep going round and round.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Slow is Fast posted:

Well gently caress. So I'd need a ballsy front end to run openelec oh wait that can't do netflix gently caress me.

This is why I keep going round and round.

If you are gonna bother with those 1tb drives, use a setup that allows you to replace them with larger drives without starting over.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

If you are gonna bother with those 1tb drives, use a setup that allows you to replace them with larger drives without starting over.

From my research that looks to be a sysology running their raid or a freenas setup. Any other suggestions?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can someone with a Synology device help me figure out how to reset the root password?

I've already followed this faq to reset the password but all it says is that it resets the admin account to the "default value". I can't find any documentation anywhere that says what that default value actually is.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can someone with a Synology device help me figure out how to reset the root password?

I've already followed this faq to reset the password but all it says is that it resets the admin account to the "default value". I can't find any documentation anywhere that says what that default value actually is.

Try username of admin with no password.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Slow is Fast posted:

Here is what I did instead of a synology or qnap or N54L because I wanted to make sure I could do transcoding:

This motherboard: $100
This RAM: $125
This CPU: $60
This heatsink/fan: $48
This case: $120
This power supply $80
Short cables for that powersupply (optional) $25
USB3 header cable to use thumbdrive inside case (optional) $14
USB3 flash drive to install Freenas on $27
Intel NIC for better network performance (optional) $29

Plus SATA cables if you need them

That puts a total cost at $628 for a system to run FreeNAS or whatever distro you want and has enough power to transcode using SubSonic, 5 hotswap SATA bays, 6 SATA ports, and has some upgradability room at a cheaper price that Synology or Qnap boxes of the same capacity. The down side is that you will have to roll your own software setup. FreeNAS has a plug-in system and a decent plug-in community, but even the ready made plug-ins take some effort and time to get working. I have been troubleshooting a number of problems that turned out to be bad RAM and a failing hard disk.

I almost ordered this case instead of the Lian Li which would have saved about $100 because it comes with it's own power supply and wouldn't need the short cables, but I didn't so I don't know for sure if the parts all fit or not. But you might be able to use it and drop some of the other optionals I had listed and get your price under $500.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you actually using the USB3 boot drive as swap too? I'm pretty sure the standard config for FreeNAS / NAS4Free / every other distro forked off of ye olde m0n0wall is to read the boot media to start and then operate out of RAM, so all that a USB3 drive gets you is a marginally faster initial boot.

You could drop the $14 USB3 adapter for this at under $4, and then whatever free-to-$10 USB2 drive you have handy.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you actually using the USB3 boot drive as swap too? I'm pretty sure the standard config for FreeNAS / NAS4Free / every other distro forked off of ye olde m0n0wall is to read the boot media to start and then operate out of RAM, so all that a USB3 drive gets you is a marginally faster initial boot.

You could drop the $14 USB3 adapter for this at under $4, and then whatever free-to-$10 USB2 drive you have handy.

No, I am not using it for swap. And you are correct about FreeNAS loading the image into memory, so all it is gettings me is slightly faster boots. The reason I got a USB3 flash drive was because at the time I wasn't sure what I wanted to run for my OS and was considering Linux or NAS4Free installed as a complete install on the USB drive.

So if you are wanting to use FreeNAS, IOwnCalculus is correct, you can save more money by using a cheaper flash drive and a cheaper internal adapter if you wanted.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Here is what I did instead of a synology or qnap or N54L because I wanted to make sure I could do transcoding:

This case: $120

How many actual 3.5 drives can you fit in that case. I get confused when the specs say it has x number of bays and then you guys post things like "4x3 5.25 to 3.5 drive bay" which I guess lets you somehow put more drives? I'm sorry just a bit confused.

Also, over in the HTPC thread, someone said they simply use WHS2011 and a utility that pools the disks (not the one supplied with window server) and that it has worked well for them.

I am willing to consider ZFS and unRaid and all that stuff but man, that sounds so much easier. Someone here convince me otherwise.