Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, okay, this is some pretty obscure stuff. Also, Mario is capable of knocking down walls but not bringing the hammer down on wrenchmonsters, which I didn't realize until well after the video was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
Oh drat. PGA Tour 2004 was pretty legitimately fun.
Also, do a bunch of other games have that catchy little jingle in the intro as well? I happen to own an NES and a copy of Baseball with that tune so I'm curious.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd never seen that Wrecking Crew game before. Seems like a pretty innovative and fun game, I'll have to give it a try some time soon.

This is, to me, where the Wii failed as a console.

We're in a generation with motion controls, and fully destructable environments, and at no time did someone at Nintendo sit down and think "You know what'd be fun? If we were to make a puzzle-based game around swinging the wii-mote around like crazy and smashing fully destructable buildings, in a world with a vague Mario theme."

Wrecking Crew was the only obvious Nintendo title for the Wii that could actually utilize the dumb gimmicks the Wii was made for and NINTENDO NEVER MADE IT.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is, to me, where the Wii failed as a console.

We're in a generation with motion controls, and fully destructable environments, and at no time did someone at Nintendo sit down and think "You know what'd be fun? If we were to make a puzzle-based game around swinging the wii-mote around like crazy and smashing fully destructable buildings, in a world with a vague Mario theme."

Wrecking Crew was the only obvious Nintendo title for the Wii that could actually utilize the dumb gimmicks the Wii was made for and NINTENDO NEVER MADE IT.

Especially since they were making that Project HAMMER game at one point. Either bring in the MC or making it a Wrecking Crew game!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

MassRanTer posted:

Especially since they were making that Project HAMMER game at one point. Either bring in the MC or making it a Wrecking Crew game!

Oh man Minecraft on wii would be awesome, imagine having to use the wiimote as the various tools you have.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

itotaku posted:

Oh man Minecraft on wii would be awesome, imagine having to use the wiimote as the various tools you have.

Branch mining does a good enough job of making you want to kill yourself already. No need to take it further.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

itotaku posted:

Waggle to break through 500 stone blocks one at a time. No thanks.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

MR. J posted:

Waggle to break through 500 stone blocks one at a time. No thanks.

I wouldn't mind if it was controlled like a real pickaxe (Moving the pickaxe in a wide downward swing)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

itotaku posted:

I wouldn't mind if it was controlled like a real pickaxe (Moving the pickaxe in a wide downward swing)
Building a single tunnel would drain half of your batteries. Do people even think about things they say before they post them online.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

Building a single tunnel would drain half of your batteries. Do people even think about things they say before they post them online.

I am being completely honest here, I always loved simulator games and wished they were more simulation, and having minecraft where you actually dug and everything would be incredible.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

How have I never heard of Wrecking Crew before??

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

itotaku posted:

I am being completely honest here, I always loved simulator games and wished they were more simulation, and having minecraft where you actually dug and everything would be incredible.

You could always experience at home by, you know, buying a pickaxe and digging a tunnel yourself. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with that. Good luck with that sport.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

You could always experience at home by, you know, buying a pickaxe and digging a tunnel yourself. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with that. Good luck with that sport.

I've done ditch digging before, doesn't mean it wouldn't be good rigorous fun in Minecraft, but we are really derailing this thread.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I noticed that a lot of the levels in the golf game are actually the same as the levels in the golf game on Wii Sports.

Pretty cool callback from Nintendo there.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I really liked Wrecking Crew but I think I preferred Wrecking Crew '98 and 'Mario and Wario'

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The opening music sting from Tennis was also used in Baseball (an NES game where you play baseball).

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
This was the third time we played Wrecking Crew and the first time I've enjoyed it. Love those wrench dragons.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The golfer on the cover of the Game Boy version of Golf definitely looks like Mario. And it had background music!

Then again, maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself historically here :ohdear:.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh, man- I've gotta dig out my analog tv and hook up the NES. You're giving me some serious nostalgia trips here. Fond memories of playing a few of these in a friend's filthy unfurnished basement when I was 7 :allears:

Guess I could play the stuff on an emulator but it somehow doesn't feel the same...

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 5, 2013

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even like golf but watching you full power blast out of bounds with your driver from like 50 yards off the green over and over again put me in the worst mood.

You have a full bag of irons!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

and now that i get to the end of the video you realize it and have made my feel good rant post sour! :negative:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't even like golf but watching you full power blast out of bounds with your driver from like 50 yards off the green over and over again put me in the worst mood.

You have a full bag of irons!

Real hurthling! posted:

and now that i get to the end of the video you realize it and have made my feel good rant post sour! :negative:

Kyle and Keith are truly monsters.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010
Is Super Mario 3D Land considered an entry in the main series? I know back in 2010 they made a video runthrough of what were apparently the main games up to that point, but I heard that somewhere they updated it as part of the ad campaign for SM3DL (never mind that NSMB is the only handheld game in the list, and it's probably there just because the Wii game is). Never seen it, though.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Wow, that was the fastest I've ever seen someone get to the Mario bonus thing in Pinball. I played that game a lot a a kid, and I always tried so hard to get to it, but I lost pretty much immediately every time I did. :saddowns: Loved that ditty at the beginning of the game, though. Such a good ditty.

Wrecking Crew looks like a pretty neat game. I wonder why it never got more attention. I'd heard of it as one of those obscure early Mario-cameo games, but never even looked at gameplay video.

Not all of the Game & Watch games had two screens! Mario's Cement Factory and a lot of others were just one screen. :eng101: Most of the multiscreen ones did look like a DS, but some opened to weird side-by-side screens, like this Mario Bros. one:

There were also crazy tabletop ones. Lots of G&W info here.

you were warned fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 6, 2013

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

General Ironicus posted:

The opening music sting from Tennis was also used in Baseball (an NES game where you play baseball).

And also Pro Wrestling which is great and has wrestling.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Giggs posted:

And also Pro Wrestling which is great and has wrestling.

LIES! Pro Wrestling is clearly a game based around cricket.

I'm looking forward to your reactions to the edutainment titles of the mid-90s. Why they chose those games to introduce the world to the voice of Mario* I can't even begin to imagine.

*Not a story spoiler, but something K&K might not be expecting.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Yokoi's story is really sad. After being responsible for the insane success of the Game Boy, he screws up once with the Virtual Boy (which was pushed out before it was finished) and is subsequently shunned and unofficially demoted at Nintendo. He eventually leaves and goes on to create the Wonderswan, which AFAIK never really gained any traction outside Japan but had some influential design features on later portable consoles. Then he gets hit by a car on a freeway.

I actually picked up a Virtual Boy for about 60 bucks in Japan and played through all of Wario Land, which is a legitimately fun game that made some neat use of the 3D effects. Teleroboxer and Red Alarm suck hard, though. I think that if the system had a little more time to develop and a better game library, it would be nowhere near as reviled as it is today.

By the way, here is the image that immediately came to mind when you mentioned "a disgustingly muscular Sonic":

Thanks for scarring my childhood, Sonic CD! That thing always gave me the creeps.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I think that if the system had a little more time to develop and a better game library, it would be nowhere near as reviled as it is today.

I remember playing a Virtual Boy at my friend's house when I was kid. From what I could remember it didn't really matter the quality of the games, because those red lines burned right through you. Plus the overall position you had to be in to use the device got old pretty quick.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

the Gaffe posted:

I remember playing a Virtual Boy at my friend's house when I was kid. From what I could remember it didn't really matter the quality of the games, because those red lines burned right through you. Plus the overall position you had to be in to use the device got old pretty quick.

Oh yeah, no question that the system as it exists is the source of a lot of eye and neck strain. I'm just saying there probably could've been a way to fix those problems if Yokoi had been given more time to work on the design.

As it is, I like having one as just a curiosity and as a piece of gaming history.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Oh yeah, no question that the system as it exists is the source of a lot of eye and neck strain. I'm just saying there probably could've been a way to fix those problems if Yokoi had been given more time to work on the design.

As it is, I like having one as just a curiosity and as a piece of gaming history.

Eh, these problems were pretty fundamental to the released version though. To fix them would mean to scrap a lot of work, which costs money, etc etc. Basically, things come out with problems all the time, and 95% of them could have been fixed 'if they only had more time'. People don't though, and when they can't make a quality product in the time given, then that's their failing, not the time given.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should have made it a flip up welders mask style thing you could wear and put most of the hardware/game in your lap inside the controller to save weight.

Having it require your head to stay perfectly still was the dumbest poo poo ever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Again, wish I could find that "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" of my dad's. The (rather lengthy) story Of Yokoi's career with Nintendo within is very appropriate to the conversation here. According to it, Yokoi was never well liked by the higher-ups, but tolerated because he was a cash cow for the company (He basically single handedly began their toy line by making the grabber claw out of parts sitting in the factory in his spare time as a way to goof off, and because he made it out of company supplies, they were able to loop hole him out of any sort of patent claim on the highly successful toy). And if I recall correctly, it details in the story that word on the inside is that the Virtua Boy was deliberately rushed to production with the intent of it being a catastrophic failure at the expense of Yokoi directly. In fact, he was apparently given the task of uncomfortably demoing the game at its main premiere, with the express purpose of adding insult to injury, and further cementing his disgrace with Nintendo.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

And if I recall correctly, it details in the story that word on the inside is that the Virtua Boy was deliberately rushed to production with the intent of it being a catastrophic failure at the expense of Yokoi directly.

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but doesn't it sound like a hideously bad idea for a billion reasons?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I am surprised with the amount of "I didn't even know about Wrecking Crew" posts in the thread. I guess it was one of the lesser known titles, but it's a really great puzzle platformer.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

By the way, here is the image that immediately came to mind when you mentioned "a disgustingly muscular Sonic":

Thanks for scarring my childhood, Sonic CD! That thing always gave me the creeps.
Batman why are you so pointy?

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Again, wish I could find that "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" of my dad's. The (rather lengthy) story Of Yokoi's career with Nintendo within is very appropriate to the conversation here. According to it, Yokoi was never well liked by the higher-ups, but tolerated because he was a cash cow for the company (He basically single handedly began their toy line by making the grabber claw out of parts sitting in the factory in his spare time as a way to goof off, and because he made it out of company supplies, they were able to loop hole him out of any sort of patent claim on the highly successful toy). And if I recall correctly, it details in the story that word on the inside is that the Virtua Boy was deliberately rushed to production with the intent of it being a catastrophic failure at the expense of Yokoi directly. In fact, he was apparently given the task of uncomfortably demoing the game at its main premiere, with the express purpose of adding insult to injury, and further cementing his disgrace with Nintendo.

Zinco posted:

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but doesn't it sound like a hideously bad idea for a billion reasons?

I'm going to echo Zinco's skepticism. That sounds cartoonishly evil on the part of the executives. I have a hard time believing any corporate big-shot would deliberately throw away millions of dollars just to get rid of one bothersome employee, no matter how much hatred was involved, and especially when that employee had a near-perfect track record of bringing in the green. Rich people are petty, but they're not petty beyond reason.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

johnboy3434 posted:

I'm going to echo Zinco's skepticism. That sounds cartoonishly evil on the part of the executives. I have a hard time believing any corporate big-shot would deliberately throw away millions of dollars just to get rid of one bothersome employee, no matter how much hatred was involved, and especially when that employee had a near-perfect track record of bringing in the green. Rich people are petty, but they're not petty beyond reason.

It's actually more like the execs thought that Yokoi was tying up too many resources for what looked like a pipe dream, so they basically said "gently caress it, let's get this over with" and released it so they could at least get some of their investment back. Besides, they were working on the N64 at the time.

I have no idea if there were other underlying motives, but from a business perspective the Virtual Boy was a really dumb idea for the time, so forcing cost-cutting measures and pushing it out to release before they invested even more into development makes total sense.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Super Mario Bros. (1985)
Part 1/1 (LP pt.6) [Youtube][Source]
This was supposed to be two episodes but I couldn't really find a good place to split it.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of sound effects just being sped up versions of other sound effects, in Super Mario 64, the laugh the boos make is just a sped up Bowser's laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
God loving finally, I can post these now.

I DIDN'T DRAW THESE FOR THE THREAD BUT I DID DRAW THEM AFTER THE THREAD STARTED SO I GUESS IT COUNTS AS FANART FOR YOU GUYS MAYBE? I DUNNO.

My brother says I drew Mario like a potato. I assure you any tuber related shapes are entirely coincidental.

• Locked thread