Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So, apropos of nothing...

I need to come up with some corporations, and I figured I would farm out some of the work to you! If you're interested and you've got ideas I'd love to hear them (megacorps, hypercorps, whatever). This is mostly for fluff purposes right now. They can be megacorps, regular corps, hypercorps, whatever, and their influence isn't restricted to Dubai.

If it helps, here's a list of ones I've laid down already:

Algol Extraterran Interests: Asteroid mining, space metals, Migou trade
Ashcroft Foundation: Megacorp stolen from CthulhuTech, mostly deals in arcanotechnology and D-Engine research
Dark River Security: Dubai's security corp
D/Line: Subsidiary of so far unstated foreign government services company, operates most of the Dubai Metro
Duvalle Laboratories: Competing research corporation to Ashcroft, comes up with crazy impressive ideas every few years (was also run by Serpent People until 2118, but that's between my other group and the OOI :v:)
Game Software Entertainment: Innovative videogames, creators of Arcane Werewolf Strikes Back
Hakurei Industries: Occult defense and monster extermination
Park Astrodigital: Megacorp dealing in film, television, e-news, interplanetary communication and blogging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hmm...

Griffinheart Arms GmbH:
Aspects: "They Work", Deutsche Präzision (German Precision)
Maker of high-quality firearms and light body armor for sport, police, and military use. Everything from dinky .22 trainer guns to .600 large-caliber hunting pistols and attendant comfy vests to 14.5x114mm+ handheld assault machineguns with light powered armored exoskeletons; they aren't the only ones in the market, and their stuff is kinda expensive and a bit single-line (they don't even make backpacks or hydration kits, for example), but they work. In fact, that's their slogan: "Griffinheart Arms. They Work (C)"

Jagged Alliance Group:
Aspects: Just a Bunch of Mercs, Mercs with Hearts of Gold?
Technically speaking, this group is registered as a Private Charity NGO. And they do do a lot of charity work, often in high-risk areas where other groups can't or won't assist. For example, they were one of the first NGOs helping to pick up the pieces in China after the Xanthic Storm mess. Thing is, that's because, among other things, training with and ownership of a firearm is a pre-req for signing up, so they also double as a PMC or security company if they need to. They don't like to, though; it's mainly to get around restrictions about charity groups hiring protection for themselves.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Today was a busy day. Sorry guys, I'll post tomorrow!

(Hello, Eclipse Phase pbp players! I just made you click two threads in your control panel for the same message.)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

What do you roll to dodge magic?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Same methods of defense as any attack.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Yep, to dodge danmaku you roll Athletics!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey Davin, you said your dice rolls suck?

:getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
After a lot of stalling, I will finally be ready to wrap Chapter 0 and post a new recruit soon, and it just occurred to me that I'm not actually sure which parts of this game are from DFRPG and which are from Fate Core any more, or if there are any rules I have been forgetting, or ones I should put in.

I'm so good at this.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Oh yeah, here's the full version so I can use it later:

Thanks to artist Reine for fulfilling my weeaboo NPC dreams and Pidmon for helping set it up!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yue is waiting for everyone else to pick. But we totally should make sure to get the RPG and the dating sim.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
You can if you like! Just need Desty and Cirno to decide if they're taking an item, and which one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm torn between the RPG and the OSTs. On one hand, the OSTs are more reasonable in relation to Sharon's needs and wants. On the other hand, I have to know if there's some sort of recursive poo poo going on here, or if you're actually just playing in the Trigger Warning universe.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
You will find that out whatever you pick! Go with your heart.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, I made a promise.

Back when I posted this recruit, there were a few apps I really wanted to take. I said I'd make a second game for them. So...

Second game recruit! Rules are the same as the OP and following post - Fate Core with some skill shuffling and parts of Dresden Files glued on, basically. (Current game players: I changed Intimidate to Provoke, as per the new Fate Core rules, since it's really cool. It's basically expanding Intimidate to provoking any negative emotional reaction (fear, anger etc.) out of people. You can change it if you want!)

Characters from last time still apply if you want to use them. Since I'm already intending to fill a few slots with some of those characters I am probably only recruiting a few more, so I'll only run this recruit for a week. People who posted a character last time and want to make a new character this time can though.

I was holding off on this until the twist I just threw in my current game, so maybe read that if you want some idea of what I like doing as a GM. This game will be related, but there won't necessarily be crossover and you won't start in Dubai.

Also, this time you don't necessarily have to be in the Soul Network. I was flip-flopping between a CORPORATE game (so basically Shadowrun with tentacles) or an O.O.I. game (Delta Green??) but it's been helpfully suggested that they're probably related on some incestuous military-industrial complex level anyway so let's say it's an Incestuous Military-Industrial Complex game and see where these apps go. You can still be in the Soul Network if you want (though you might have to keep it secret), or in the OOI, or an ex-cultist, or working for some corporation, or whatever.

I might add some more NTech fluff later. Ask me about things I should expand on! For now, here's a list of canon corporations if you don't feel like making one up:

Corps posted:

Algol Extraterran Interests (Asteroid mining, space metals, Migou trade)
Ashcroft Foundation (Everything)
Duvalle Laboratories (Arcanotechnology, scientific research, used to be run by Serpent Men before they were secretly wiped out)
ExoCute (The animest firearms)
Game Software Entertainment (Games, creators of Arcane Werewolf Strikes Back)
Griffinheart Arms GmbH (Firearms and light armour for sports, police and military)
Hakurei Industries (Occult defense and monster extermination)
Kirisame Optical Laboratories (Anything involving magic and lasers)
Japan Defense Force (The magical girl version of an idol group)
Park Astrodigital (Film, television, e-news, interplanetary communication and blogging)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Gonna go ahead and reapply Santiago here, since it seems like he'd be a perfect fit for this game. Here's a link to the old app. I've edited the skills and stunts slightly to make it cleaner and more fitting, but otherwise it's as it was before. I've also got a question: Right now, what's the Next Big Thing all the corporations are aiming for?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I am probably going to just reapply Marcus because I am Lazy but Ettin, would a corporation that behind the scenes sells and deals in Magical artifacts, forbidden tomes and the like (And a character that is all about being able to find and acquire anything (for the right price)) suitable for your second game idea?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Transient People posted:

Gonna go ahead and reapply Santiago here, since it seems like he'd be a perfect fit for this game. Here's a link to the old app. I've edited the skills and stunts slightly to make it cleaner and more fitting, but otherwise it's as it was before. I've also got a question: Right now, what's the Next Big Thing all the corporations are aiming for?

THE NEXT BIG THING is colonisation. A lot of the bigger companies have Mars subsidiaries, or are trying to set root on other planets before their colonies expand enough to fit on the Sol Council, or they're directly invested in some offworld business like spaceships or mining or building Venusian aerostats. Gates exist, but you have to be the Ashcroft Foundation or the NEG or something to get a reliable, legal gate and nobody's keen on the idea of using them for mass transit. Fast sublight ships exist but arcanotech corps are trying to break the light barrier.

(Offworld security jobs are a great way to get target practice on Mythos creatures.)

Stormgale posted:

I am probably going to just reapply Marcus because I am Lazy but Ettin, would a corporation that behind the scenes sells and deals in Magical artifacts, forbidden tomes and the like (And a character that is all about being able to find and acquire anything (for the right price)) suitable for your second game idea?

Yes, but they would have to be either:

• Do it illegally and have some means of covering their rear end
• Be a front for the Children of Chaos
• Be a front for the O.O.I. distributing secretly censored tomes, "safe" artifacts and the like
• Some other justification

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Well, this is really cool. Thinking of doing an on-call "technician" for Hakurei Industries, cleaning up for the company when their latest product testing goes horribly wrong. Preferably with a shotgun and a lot of sealing wards. I suppose the company's been mentioned a lot in the IC thread, so I'm gonna have to catch up to that!

Speaking of which, do the corporations employ magicians or occult practitioners openly or does the OOI force them to keep it quiet?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TurninTrix posted:

Speaking of which, do the corporations employ magicians or occult practitioners openly or does the OOI force them to keep it quiet?

They do, full time or on a contract basis or whatever in between. There are regulations and licenses to sort out and it's legal spells only but depending on the company you might be encouraged to break the rules on the sly (and possibly thrown under the bus if you're caught).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Shiro doesn't really fit the new theme and I tend to just get depressed when I try to rework backgrounds, so I'm doing something new. A Lelouch-style chessmaster high school student who knows way too much and is already in hock to something olde, powerful, and pretending to be a sexy lady. He's not stupid enough to believe it's got his interests in mind (or that it's half as pretty as it pretends to be) but he is just stupid enough to think he can get the better end of a deal with it.

Page will come up within a day or so after I finalize concept/skill choices.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'll stick with Marcus, more Focussing on his corporate history and family then

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San (Formerly Yu Zhong)

High Concept: ACTION HACKER
Trouble: I just wanted a desk job!

Backstory: Fight to Live, Live to Fight
Yu Zhong didn't have a particularly pleasant childhood. Raised rough and tumble on the sharp streets of Shanghai, a city in flux after being partially destroyed by the Storm, Zhong got used to scrabbling for every last crumb of food and pebble of territory. Rapidly falling in with the Triads, Zhong quickly moved up their hierarchy, being tough, smart, and vicious- a combination destined for success in the dark world of organized crime. Soon, he was known as an excellent choice if you wanted someone silenced, permanently. The Yangtze ate his victims, and the nice thing about neo-silk is the blood comes right out. But, somewhere deep down, he was getting tired of killing just so he could kill someone else tomorrow, of fighting for his life by taking others. One day, he just vanished. The Triads assumed his body would surface in the ocean eventually, and got back to daily life.
Invoke: Struggle to live, bail out if things are going badly
Compel: Take a life in cold blood, take the easy way out

Yomikiri: Zhang San's Everyday Life
Some time later, a talented computer programmer named Zhang San was hired to work for one of the OOI's civilian support divisions. (One wonders why he chose that, of all places to get hired- perhaps he wanted just a little bit of danger in his life still.) He seemed happy, but subtly unsatisfied. His superiors noted a certain lack of drive in his actions. Eventually, someone from a more serious part of the OOI noticed the way he was dodging advancement and socializing with his colleagues, and put in a request to evaluate him as a possible mole. Initial investigations turned up only confirmation that he had a degree in Computer Security (With a minor in Art History) from a small but accredited online institution.) Further investigation, however, revealed that the records showing such had been "inserted." To be fair, being good enough to do that was a pretty good way to prove you deserved it.

Curiosity now aroused, further digging quickly uncovered San's disreputable past. Rather than having to deal with a mole, OOI's wetworks division became... intrigued. Soon, an offer was made, with a note that made it clear refusal wasn't an option. Grumbling all the way, San quickly found himself back in the business of killing, though now with a more technological bent to it. At least, he rationalized, it was mostly monsters and monster-creators rather than human beings. And sometimes, someone else would handle the messy bits while he stayed safe in a computer chair, so still an improvement, really.
Invoke: Deal with changing circumstances, quickly refocus
Compel: Get pulled back into a problem, bottle up internal issues

Volume Three: Crouching Tager, Hidden Zhang San
A clash with the Eldritch Society was inevitable. While working with a small team to extract potentially dangerous data from a Duvalle Tech site, San's augmented reality setup inadvertently revealed a stealthed Tager attempting to do the same thing. Thinking Zhang was just a tech, the Tager attacked. Zhang attacked back, scrambling for every advantage. Just like old times. Pretty soon some others came to back him up, and the Tager was forced to flee, but Zhang was annoyed either way. His prowess was now a matter of record: Now he was gonna get the REALLY hard jobs. And then, of course, the Children of Chaos showed up.

To this day he swears he's gonna find that Tager and shoot it.
Invoke: Deal practically with the supernatural
Compel: Shoot first, ask questions while shooting

Skills

Triad Assassin 5
Systems 4, Guns 4
Burglary 3, Stealth 3
Alertness 2, Physique 2, Driving 2
Athletics 1, Weapons 1, Will 1, Provoke 1, Deceit 1

Stunts:
I Work Better Under Pressure: +2 to Systems rolls made under duress
Casing, Investigating, Same Thing: Use Burglary to evaluate scenes instead of Investigation
Assassin's Sixth Sense: +2 to Alertness rolls to detect ambushes
Let's Make an Example Out of You: Once per scene spend a fate point to move an inflicted physical consequence 1 step up.
It Was Always Going to End This Way: +2 damage inflicted on lone opponents

K Prime fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 6, 2013

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Rewrite ahoy :toot:

Arlington Espinoza-Storms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TA-QJ2d3kk

Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Social: [ ] [ ]
Fate Points/Total Refresh: 4/4

High Concept: Unkillable Cannon Fodder

Trouble: Florida Man

Being from Florida is like having lycanthropy, except instead of a werewolf you turn into a complete fuckwit, and instead of at the full moon, it is anytime, anywhere.

Sample Invoke or Compel: Florida Man can be either invoked or compelled so long as the action can be phrased in the terms of a headline describing a sublimely grotesque act of stupidity. "Florida Man engages otherworldly horrors in fisticuffs", "Florida Man guns down cultists, thought they were neighbor's kids", etc

Backstory: War Crimes are the Best Crimes!

Madness, violence, incoherent babbling, the very concept of humanity fraying and coming to pieces, and then he decided to get the hell out of the Miami-Dade area. Born into a Cuban-American family in the sprawling South Florida metroplex, Storms joined the NEG military a week after graduating highschool. Administrative shenanigans routed him to a front line position right before a massive, multi-continent government counter offensive against the nascent Green Rage cult. The next few years were long periods of crushing boredom and fatigue occasionally interrupted by bullets, napalm, dreadlocks, and fish gills.

Sample Invoke: For the times when ultraviolence really is the best answer. Only usable for aggressive, extreme, and completely unsubtle actions.

Sample Compel: For the times when you're done gazing into the abyss and want to poke it in the eye, this is the all purpose aspect for messing with the life of a shell-shocked veteran. Whether its flashbacks, itchy trigger fingers, or simple inability to relate to the life of Joe Arcology-Dweller, this is a handy general purpose aspect for making his life miserable.

Yomikiri: Tier II Operator: If good is the enemy of perfect, Storms has aligned himself with the former. His chance at promotion to any sort of special forces were cut short after he failed Orbital Assault school for the third time; record notes "explosive nausea" and inability to acclimatize to zero-g. This may have generated some hostility to heavy infantry and mech pilots as the record also contains a commendation for crafting a giant bomb that leveled a Rage stronghold, and a disciplinary action for using power armor battery packs to make said bomb. The powersuit pilots were not informed or aware of this until their suits refused to boot during the subsequent assault. Nevertheless, transfer to OOI operations was granted, where Storms proved a capable operator so long as the mission did not require subtlety, surviving hostiles, or intact infrastructure.

Sample Invoke: Crashing through windows, breaching doors, trying to be sneaky, being a dastardly agent of Imperialism, other associated tacticool poo poo.

Sample Compel:
Being treated as a dastardly agent of Imperialism, being good, but not good enough, automatically losing against the best of the best, inability to function in orbital or stellar operations.

Volume Three:Afrikanized Killer Water

The War is over! Well, at least the first phase. Storms remains on OOI's "asset" list but officially followed a friend's lead into private contracting, a booming industry in a world with lots of discharged vets, companies with things to protect, and a whole lot of the globe the government could not protect. “Easy work, big money!” Right?. Sometime later, after months and months policing a large industrial compound in some undeveloped hellhole, the problems inherent with being employed by sinister research companies became apparent, especially so with Duvalle Laboratories' former management team. Bad enough they were attempting to enslave the human race, but Storms discovered they also weren't planning to pay him.

NEG law has ruled that you can't label goods “water proof” or “fire proof” because eventually, if exposed to enough water or fire, those things will be destroyed; the term “resistant” is used instead. Fortunately, lizardman hosts are merely bullet resistant. What resulted was a months long guerrilla action that destroyed his health along with as many DuValle-DeBeers assets as possible.

The situation would have gone far worse if it wasn't for the intervention of *INSERT FELLOW PC HERE*.

Sample Invoke: Surviving and performing ghastly first aid with no supplies in fetid conditions, jury rigging and repairing gear in the wilderness or undeveloped world, maneuvering through a shattered wasteland..

Sample Compel: Any number of recurrent health issues. Dealing with people that know about the whole "working for lizardmen" thing.

OVA: Aspect: "I love brainy women."

Invoke: Back up terrifying cyborg panzer ladies, be less of a socially awkward gently caress, steal, loot, and hijack gear in the field
Compel: Join in something incredibly dangerous and violent without thinking, fire into zones with both friendly PCs and hostiles (she can handle it!), Steal, rob, and hijack when its a really bad idea.

Omake: Aspect: Janitor of the Human Soul

Invoke: Listen (or pretend to listen) to someone's sob story. Do the right thing when not getting paid. Trying to save a life. Avoiding killing everyone in the area. Totally sick-awesome knife/axe/ninja star/etc throwing moves.

Compel: Refuse to back out of obviously bad situations, Put business ahead of common sense, Do what the attractive lady says due to being a spineless, goony rear end in a top hat.

Skills:
4: Guns, Alertness, Mercenary Attitude*
3: Craft, Resources, Will
2: Provoke, Athletics , Physique
1: Scholarship, Stealth, Drive

*Mercenary Attitude substitutes for survival, can be used as Connections so long as they are of the criminal/(para)military sort needed to do his job, and adds physical stress boxes as if it were the appropriate skill.

Stunts:

-Recon drones and SOTA HUD: When successfully rolling Alertness passively to pick up on details, gain an additional 2 shifts. This reflects the ability to pick up on more pieces of information, but it does not improve the depth of that information

-Lightning Reflexes (Alertness): Substitute Alertness for Athletics for the purposes of avoiding damage.

-Blood Money(Resources): Gains a +2 to Resources whenever using it for illicit purposes

-Hand-Eye Coordination (Guns): You may use the Guns skill instead of Weapons to throw manual projectiles(rocks, grenades, boomerangs).

-Demolitions Training (Craftsmanship): This allows you to do attacks and maneuvers against structures, and your skill roll also sets the difficulty for any characters attempting to avoid damage from an explosive that you’ve placed. Note that to hide an explosive you will still need to use the Deceit skill.

-Percussive Hacking: Allows Storms to use Craftsmanship for the hacking aspect of Systems, so long as he can access a physical part of the target. Usually used to fry security systems, rfids, trackers, and the like.

Gear:
Black Market Tacticool Gear (Body Armor +2, Guns, Usually machine pistol (weapon+2 spray) or grenade launcher (weapon+4 zone). Vision mods/HUD/comm/demo gear. Good first aid kit. If he's feeling exceptionally goony, throwing stars/knives/tomahawk.) Vehicle of some sort.

Workshop (Questionably Legal Armory) +3

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 27, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Oh hey, Desty.

Is there anything you want to do in particular about the legal issue? I was thinking of saying that through some long, convoluted thing whoever is making this thing has the license, but I am okay with something else (they're just unlicensed and nobody noticed, they changed enough details to get away with it, etc.).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think something along the lines of Legal tracking them down but being stymmied would be best. That way, we get to go find these guys ourselves if we want, but the problem isn't already solved for us.

Now, whether that's because of some bizarre contractual shenanigans or because of the protection of whatever grim and kawaii elder god that watches over the Trigger Warning franchising agency, I couldn't say.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Cadamus Herman Wolfric Magnificus Aurelia

Refresh: 3 = 8 - 4 (powers) - 1(stunts)
Current FP: 3/3

Aspects:
High Concept: "Wizard of Yore"
Invoke: To be a wizard of talent. To be a legend in the flesh.
Compel: To seek a magical solution to everything.

Trouble: "I Hold Secrets In My Mind... And My Body"
Between his knowledge gained through years of life and his Gift of Everlife, certain entities want to interrogate Cadamus (and more besides).
Invoke: To know secrets. To hold the gift of immortality.
Compel: To have enemies who wish to gain these secrets.

Backstory: "Librarian of Alexandria"
Cadamus, in years long past and under a name long since hidden and lost, grew up as in Rome as a second son of wealthy family. Soon after he came of age, he was sent to the library of Alexandria as a scholar. While there, he learnt much.
Invoke: To have spent years mastering lore and knowledge.
Compel: To be hidebound, and a product of the past.

Yomikiri: "Walking The Long Road"
Cadamus, in an adventure long ago, found the Gift of Everlife. Since then, he has lived through history as it passed around him. Along the way, he picked up a few things, and met many people. People who died, through war or death or simple old age.
Invoke: To have knowledge and skills gained in the past.
Compel: To know loss many times over.

Volume 3: "Ramble, Ramble, Ramble"
A few years ago, Cadamus found himself in an old bar in Hong Kong, drinking away a night before he shipped out. While rambling away about this topic or that, he found himself accosted by several heavily armed masked men.
Invoke: To ramble at any cue, for any need.
Compel: To be easily distracted, and oblivious to his surroundings.

OVA:

Omake:

Stresses:
Physical: ()()()()
Mental: ()()()()
Social: ()()

Skills:
Passion Skill: Gift of Everlife - Use as Athletics, and use to determine Physical Stress boxes in place of Physique.

+5: Lore, Scholarship
+4: Casting, Gift of Everlife
+3: Rapport, Will
+2: Deceit, Resources
+1: Burglary, Survival

Stunts:
Field Anthropology [-1]: Use Scholarship in place of Guns to shoot a crossbow.

Powers:
Thaumaturgy [-3] (Speciality: TBD)
The Sight [-1]
Gift of Everlife [-0]: As Wizard's Constitution

Items (2 Slots):
TBD

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

This is my first time with DFRPG, so I likely messed up somewhere. Let me know!

Maria Santore

High Concept: Occult Troubleshooter on Wheels

If there’s one thing you absolutely have to know about Arcanotech, it breaks. This is bad when your business relies on this tech to keep away Things That Shouldn't Be with regular assurance. So when something does break in Hakurei Industries, that just means that there's something else cracking it from the other end. And who do they call to deal with the resulting chaos?

Yeah okay, the corporate soldiers and the spec ops and the robots, fine, fine. But sometimes they want to send someone that's actually competent and the lone girl with the black sweater, the occult-blasting shotgun and old-fashioned magic fueled by a Eldritch-possessed bike does the job all the same, right? Right?

This is why Hakurei should reconsider their security budget.

Invokes: stay chill as hell against mythos monsters, investigate disturbances, determine occult stuff, shoot trouble, ride the wind
Compels: follow corporate chain of command, be on call in case of rampaging monsters, work on lousy pay, make a dramatic entrance on her bike

Trouble: Who's Really In Control?

Yeah, whoever fights monsters and all that. Maria draws a lot of arcane power from a mysterious otherworldly being, one who really doesn't care how her power is used so long as she remains amused. The Beast's essence is mostly sealed in the sorceress' motorcycle as a portable ward (she can drive the bike!), though there are still ways for her to break out to the outside world again. She does have a pact with Maria, after all.

Invokes: ask advice or a boon from a creature from the pale, draw magic power
Compels: have her bike occasionally get a life of its own, gain a wide berth from people in the know about that, deal with the occasional bout of insanity and corruption

Backstory: Thirty Minutes or Less

Maria Santore originally worked for a courier service in Siena, one that dealt particularly in "sensitive" deliveries. She always suspected their office as a Cosa Nostra front, but she never cared to ask. The job paid well enough for college (and her magic license) and the owner (a hedge wizard) often snuck in a few forbidden books to her as personal rewards. Censored material, sadly, but even for an aspiring sorceress like her that was enough to satiate the appetite.

As it turned out, taking sensitive payloads and magical artifacts from one point to another proved really dangerous. Her ratty, customized bike, a shotgun and the narrow streets of the city quickly became her best friends. But she drove, shot and delivered her way to enough jobs to make good on her debts. After her last big run, Maria finally got her boss to pull some strings with his "superiors" for a real nice payout: an honest-to-goodness uncensored abridged copy of the Book Of Five Shadows. For research purposes, natch.

Invokes: get to somewhere right now, find the most optimized route or plan, blast on through to follow it
Compels: work on that photo finish, not account for "wrinkles" in the plan, panic on crunch time

Yomikiri: An Employment Deal with the Devil

Now, Maria was a great sorceress at that point, but that wasn't enough. She wanted a bit more power and she wanted it fast and easy. While she wasn't too crazy on consulting with the Old Ones to attain that, the book detailed many other powers that gave similar returns with possibly less insanity involved. That sounded like a good idea at the time until she actually summoned the thing. On her office's rooftop, for privacy. Even though she excelled in wards, she also vastly underestimated the one that came out from the other side.

By the time the police and OOI response teams came in, the mythos beast leveled the courier office and pretty much the rest of the block. A team of Hakurei specialists also deployed to support the police and test their OmniDirectional Binder on the target. That proved unnecessary, since Maria finally got her poo poo together, blew through debris with her bike and drew a properly-sized binding circle for her quarry. She drove through thin streets to confuse and elude the Beast, until it found itself caught right in her trap. A great flash of light and fantastic energy rose up and finally ended the Beast's rampage. Her most impressive ward.

Maria bargained with the creature and got what she wanted. Kept most of the being's nature sealed in her bike full of wards, the closest "symbolic item" she had that time. She also caused significant property damage and sort of went way past her license restriction, of course. OOI came in this close to crucifying her until one the Hakurei specialists stopped them cold. They made up a lie about a company field test, agreed to "handle this" on their behalf, and shooed them away. Maria was about to thank them, but this wasn't out of pity or anything, oh no. He wanted her and whatever's in that motorcycle. Study them, keep them on tabs, maybe have the girl create giant seals and bike stunts for the company's benefit too.

Hakurei gave her an offer she honestly couldn't refuse. At least she didn't have to pass her resignation for the last job.

Invokes: pull favors for help, get in touch with the company network, carry a company card, pull off CORPORATE ATTITUDE
Compels: incur more debts, get suspicious on deals, have something taken away "to settle for outstanding balances"

Volume 3: Akuryou Taisan, Akuryou Taisan!

So Maria's first real job in a megacorp involved an really nasty setup. Hakurei performed a public test for one of their latest weapons in a carefully guarded facility. All the military bigwigs and their security came to watch it, though unfortunately so did the Green Fury. Despite preventive measures, the terrorists launched an assault on the base in order to behead local military leadership. They brought in their numbers as well as a massive, monstrous Chthonian as support.

Highest priority was the lead scientist of the weapons test, the actual monster a distant second. She drove her Eldrtichbike through the sea of deadly, slimy tentacles and shot as many of the twisted appendages as possible. As soon as they reached the priority target, it became really obvious that the Chthonian didn't want them to leave. The Eldrtichbike offered an idea. She bumped the target in her seat to evacuate him, while Maria stayed behind to prepare another seal to stop the thing. Well, she prepared a whole lot on seal ever since she caught her first monster with it.

But she needed to do this quickly, because the Green Fury and the military were still fighting all around her. And there were the tentacles.

Invokes: stop a monster in its tracks, get people out of the way of a rampaging monster, draw powerful wards and binding seals
Compels: relentlessly seal/crush all things tentacley, have a strong reliance on magic over technology, harbor a grim respect for creatures beyond the pale

OVA: You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Invokes: make good use of explosions, jury-rig solutions to difficult problems, find the important parts of something, blow the bloody doors off
Compels: break more things than she intends, go for the loudest solution

Omake: The Paranatural Connection

Invokes: spot (and pull) the loose threads, put years of occult study to good use, contact the arcane underground, sometimes sense unnatural poo poo beyond mortal ken
Compels: hear and feel things she shouldn't, obsess on the small details, see some freaky sights, yo

Skills:
+4 Motorcycle Maniac, Lore
+3 Guns, Will, Casting
+2 Provoke, Contacts, Investigation, Alertness
+1 Rapport, Athletics, Resources, Presence, Physique

Refresh: 2/8

Stunts:
Bike-Fu (Motorcycle Manic) [-1]: Maria's bike counts as Weapon: 3 if she attacks an opponent with a wheelie, a straight on collision or some other really dumb stunt.

Powers:
Thaumaturgy (Specialization: Wards/Control) [-3]
Refinement [-1] (+Focus Slots)
The Sight [-1]

Gear:
Focus Item: Corporate Issued Masterwork Gohei (+1 complexity to Wards)
Enchanted Item: Corporate Issued OfudaPad Talisman (Weapon: 4 spirit attack once per session)
Enchanted Item: Home-made Magic Missile (Weapon: 3 fire attack twice per session)
Potions: Magic Technicolor Grenade Belt (4 potion slots)
Sawed-off Shotgun (Weapon: 2)

Mitama fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 17, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden

(Now) (During the Magical Girl stint)

High Concept Sullen Retired Magical Girl Akathar

’Bloggitter Social Networking Journal Site- Leticia’s Profile.’ posted:

Oh is this where i have to write about myself? Bloody great, mate. One’s must really have Kangaroos’ loose in the top paddock to want to know about me. Yeah, yeah, I’m just a frickin’ wage slave for the Government now. So don’t ya expect much from me. Can’t say i’ve succeeded on most things beside blastin’ some wankers out, and even then i still think there’ll be one day where i’ll be the one to be blasted, y’know. Then again dyin’ would be a good way to get a friggin break, even though it’s a breach of contract.

Then again they could always try and revive my body if that happens. Knowing my luck...

Invoke: Using sarcasm, finding flaws at something.
Compel: Defending an idea, expecting success.

Trouble A half-Akathar’s cup is always half-empty.

’Bloggitter Social Networking Journal Site-:Leticia’s first post. ‘ posted:

If there’s one thing you learn about this lovely world is that things will always get worse. That’s why I’m smart enough to know when things are goin’ badly, you know. Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to tell you when that happens, although you’d probably not even listen to me.

Invoke: Complaining/quipping about the current situation.
Compel: Showing initiative for something, finding motivation.

Backstory: Drizzle Down Under

’From the OOI profile section: Possible assets, subsection: Akathar, sub-subsection: Second Generation|Hybrids’ posted:

Leticia Durden, born in the University of Brisbane’s Hospital on the year of 2095 from Andrea and Zayd Durden. Zayd was one of the APTO’s first Akathar scientists, and chief of the “Thetan Team”, the group that involved most of the first-generation Akathar. [More info on the file ‘Research Group 381’] Medical reports on the girl indicate nothing out of the normal until 2102, when she was brought to various psychiatrists, reportedly because of hallucinations and bipolar behaviour.

Diagnosis was for what’s now known as Time Shadow Syndrome [More on the file ‘Akathar and Hybrid diseases, page 203]. On Leticia’s case it was reported that she suffered involuntary episodes in which her mind travelled into times of great strife, experiencing massive mental trauma. Only through medication and psychological support the effects of TSS were somewhat dulled, although she still kept having sporadic events, and her bipolarity continues to this day. It was during this period when Doctor Zayd started looking for some more unorthodox treatment.

It was on 2103 when he came to our office in Canberra, looking for permission to use the then-experimental Dream-Transport Therapy in order to help with the treatment. Section Chief Donaldson [Full article: Michael Donaldson] knew the Doctor’s past cooperation with the NEG and accepted his request. Results were unsatisfactory, however, although the girl did awaken her innate Magic affinity. Section Chief Donaldson then decided to include her as a NEG asset in an upcoming project that was the perfect opportunity for them to use her.

Invoke OR Compel: Time Shadow Syndrome sometimes kicks in, and Leticia experiences the last few minutes of a random person in Earth's past or future, resulting in effects that range from new knowledge to phobia, pain or aggressive behavior.

Yomikiri Sugary Idol Magical Lettie!

’Brian Stegosaurus, former PR chief of the APTO’ posted:

It was a really good idea at the time, y’know. The Japan Defense Force had just started and it was a fuckin’ great success at the time. So someone on our LA offices had this bright idea to create a version of that for the Anglosphere. Fuckin’ great, even though we never took the cultural differences in consideration, but back then we had not many ideas, and there was this whole new Century mentality of experimentation.

So we took five girls pushed by us by the OOI due to them having Magical Powers and stuff, they sayin’ it was for training for the future or some crap like that... Two from the US, One from Canada, one from Britain and the last one was this half-Thetan Australian girl who we took because goddamn, that’s two demographics at once, y’catch me? Well guess we didn’t count the fuckin’ nutter demographic, though, since the girl was in no way fit for that stuff. Anyways, we called ‘em the Fairy Circle, and surprisingly they were kinda good at what they did, even arranged those silly names they had in the JDF.

Of course, poo poo happened, on the eighth month even. You see, back then in 2014 the Green Fury jackoffs still had some really nasty poo poo they took into the cities and factories. Fuckin’ hippies had those weird-rear end tentacle monsters and for a while people started to see the fact we were sending barely pubescent girls against them as something weird which in retrospect i kinda have to agree with. And things didn’t got better after this incident.

Y’see, the girls were fighting this Cockroach thing on a steel mill. The bloody thing was nigh invulnerable, so one of ‘em, this redhead Canadian girl, decides to push it into the molten steel. Good idea, they go for the whole colorful routine and send the thing flyin’. Of course, they didn’t count on it grabbin’ the redhead’s leg and dragging her to die with it. [Pause] God, the screaming. It triggered some sort of psychotic breakdown on all of the girls, since they started rampaging, the drat Greyskin worst of wall, blasting the whole place under, and it was being filmed live!

That an’ the fact ratings were abysmal for the whole year made us cancel the project and cease talking about it ever again. The girls were taken back by the OOI for god knows what. And sometimes i’m even scared to think we were the better option for them.

Invoke: Remembering Magical Girl Combat, information on most common kind of Monsters and other freaky creatures.
Compel: Being reminded of the terrible popularity of the show and the incident where one of the other cast members died horribly.

Volume 3: Being Leticia is Suffering.

Leticia's Shrumblr posted:

All friggin' right. So after being exposed to some REALLY TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCES and not getting any kind of compensation for that other than a weekly visit to the bloody shrink, those drat drongos from the OOI tried to put me on their bloody little Agency. Because apparently even though no one watched a show I poured so much effort into, I had experience fighting those supernatural wankers. The real reason is probably because they think I'm too bloody unstable to take another job, which might be true but still...

*Sigh* (Yes, that's it, I'm writing sigh here. You have a bloody problem you shove it up your arse). The show was stupid and I'm a friggin failure. Guess it's better than a mongrel like me deserves, dying horribly by some mutated freak or somethin'. I won't even be able to find a boyfriend or a girlfriend and that kind of bloody family life that Mum and Dad had. You want to know why? Because last bloody week they sent me on my first mission alongside a bunch of bastards, and since I was the rookie, of course they sent me forward, and kept laughing at me because one of them remembered the show i was and called me by the name i used back then... Cute Sugary Idol Magical Lettie ☆~

AAAAARGH! That was bloody infuriating, and they never let it go during all the mission. That was when this huge friggin' Tager-thingy attacked. It looked like half-human, half-tasmanian devil, half-wasp, which would make the bloody critter 3/2ths more dangerous than everything else I've ever fought. It started tearing apart the arsehole who started making the jokes, and oh hell, it was actually kind of funny because i just let it eat him. Of course, one of the others, a wanker called [PC NAME] yelled at me to help, so i had no choice but to do so. Of course, at that point i knew how the dumbass moved after i saw him attack someone, which made shootin' him with a spirit blast kinda easy. Heck, i even called the attack like i did back when i was on the Fairy Circle to twist the knife.

Poor mauled sod still died the same day. Oh well.

Invoke: Analyzing misfortune as it happens to someone else, calling silly attack names when casting a spell.
Compel: Helping people who slighted her, letting petty grudges go,

Skills:

+5: Australian DARK Magical Girl (Works for Casting evocation spells and drinking booze), Will
+4: Provoke, Deceit
+3: Lore, Scholarship
+2: Weapons, Stealth
+1: Resources, Empathy

Powers Evocation (Spirit, Air, Fire) (-3)
Inhuman Toughness (-2).

Stunts: "I'd expect that from me, but from you? Heh.": +2 on Provoke against someone who recently failed an attack or skill check.

"Thanks for standin' still, wanker!": +2 on Weapons against enemies who did not change Zones this turn.

Refresh: 1.

Items: Coldecapitator and Sparkly - Weapon 2: A pair of lightscimitars. Both serve as Focus Items, with the first working as an offensive power and the second as a defensive control.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 14, 2013

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

New improved backstory and aspects! Mechanically (GET IT) identical!
May have been recently (heavily) influenced by Metal Gear: Rising _REVENGEANCE_!

Name: Murasaki Shiro

High Concept: Ex-Shinigami Cyborg

There are some things you just can't come back from, and losing your Master and all your friends is one of them. Shiro cut active ties with the Shinigami and is currently working for Hakurei, although she doesn't hold any particular loyalty to them. The Shinigami leaders are content to let her work through her issues, (revenge is a duty, after all,) but they can call in her obligations at any time.

Trouble: High Maintenance Girl

Cybernetics are not cheap, and need regular repairs. Especially for someone who spends her days fighting horrible space monsters. Shiro ends up spending the majority of her money just keeping herself in good physical condition, so she's kind of a mooch when it comes to paying for things, and never has any spare cash.

Backstory: Revenge Is A Way of Life

Shiro's first memory was of revenge. She was seven, terrified and hidden in a closet while her parents were reduced to stains on the walls by something that moved in shadows. When a stranger with a sword made of blue fire burst in through the window, she watched through a crack in the door as he fought it. When it knocked him to his knees, she opened the door and threw a shoe at it. Reckless, stupid, but distracting. The katana cleaved the shadow in two, and unfamiliar arms took her away from the scene of blood and horror.

Murasaki Yuki owed the child his life, and refused to let her be taken away from him. He called her Shiro for her white hair and raised her as his own daughter. The day she graduated from the Academy was the proudest day of his life.

It was also the last. Her first mission was that night, shutting down a small cult of idiots who were summoning things in an old bunker on the outskirts of Shanghai. Yuki led the team, but when they arrived the circle was far larger than they'd expected. The thing had already eaten all the cultists and was trying to tear itself loose from the bunker.

Shiro was the only survivor, thrown clear at the last moment by Yuki himself. her body was shredded, both legs gone, one arm, bites taken out of her. It was a miracle that she lived through the night. With her one remaining hand she clutched Yuki's katana.

Whatever it was escaped that night, and she won't rest until it's dead.

Yomikiri: Ueru’s Respect

Long ago there was a Shinigami of great power and skill, but he was selfish and cruel and used his gifts only for himself. When he finally went too far, betrayed every principle and every code, the other Shinigami hunted him down. They ripped his soul from his body, and trapped it in his own sword as a punishment. So the Cursed Blade, Ueru, was forged.

The blade was given to the Murasaki clan, and only carried by the wisest and most strong-willed among them, for the spirit in the sword was crafty and furious about his imprisonment. Over time, the clan's numbers waned until only one man remained. Over time, the spirit's rage turned to grudging respect for the final son of the clan that made him a prisoner. So, the sword was carried by Murasaki Yuki, and so it passed to Murasaki Shiro. But Ueru had no use for a broken, crippled child. He refused to speak to her, and would not be drawn.

Shiro was patient. She kept the sword with her at all times. It was with her through all her surgeries, all through rehab and learning to walk on new legs. It was with her as she studied the electronics and mechanical systems deep into the nights, learning every wire and every servo in her new body. It was with her as she requested a leave of absence from the Shinigami, to pursue her personal revenge against the thing that slaughtered her Master. She took up residence in New Shanghai, and began her search. It took her out onto the dark streets and high into ivory towers. Abandoned parks and busy markets. Her meager lodgings grew more so, as the money Yuki left her ran dry.

“Ueru, I need you.” she would whisper when she ran into trouble. But still the blade refused to be drawn. Her cheap replacement was enough to handle most things that came after her, until one night in an old factory. She was getting closer, the stench of the thing was on this building, and there were old stains and half ruined circles on the ground. But the place had since become a stomping ground for a Dhoanoid.

Her steel katana shattered in the first assault. She fought it anyway. It did not go well. Sparking from torn circuitry, bleeding from torn flesh, the woman was held by the throat in an iron grip. In desparation she reached for the Cursed Sword, sure that it would just watch her die.

The blade sprang free in a rush of blue fire, and the beast dropped Shiro in surprise. A rush of speed and energy ran through her as Ueru seized control of her body and fought off the Dhohanoid in a frenzy. But before he could kill it, it fled, and the spirit did not pursue. He was finally ready to talk.

They spoke of Yuki, and revenge. She had earned his respect.

Volume 3: Spell-sword Sellsword

A story about applying to work at Hakurei! More details when I know who the guests are!

Skills:
+5 Weapons, Will
+4 Lore, Robotics
+3 Stealth, Physique
+2 Rapport, Athletics
+1 Resources, Alertness

Passion: Robotics -used instead of crafts for self repairs and for temporary advantages like pain inhibition or overriding safeties on cyborg bits. Also a love for Giant Robots. And regular sized robots. And even little bitty nano-robots.

Stress:
Mental: ()()()() +1 Mild Consequence

Refresh: 8-7 = 1

Stunts:
Magic Swordsman: [-1] Use Weapons instead of Spellcasting for Evocation.

Powers:
Soul Relic: Ueru, the Cursed Blade [-3] (-5+2)
-Evocation [-3] (Fire, Water, Spirit, spec: Spirit Offensive)
-Inhuman Speed [-2]

Kanai Anzen: [–1] Presence Strengthens Thresholds
Zen Direction: [-1] be where you're needed, sub will for another roll
Sora no Kokei: [–1] ninja vanish from mortals
Shinigami Taishitsu: [-0] Halted aging process

Gear:
Cursed Blade Ueru- Weapon:3, 2-handed katana.

Paper Talismans- 3 Potion slots. (Base Strength of 4.) Can store evocations.

Shield Arm- Enchanted Item, 4 shift spirit shield with 1 use. The metal under the false skin of Shiro's left arm is engraved with defensive runes, letting her focus her will to call forth a shield of spirit energy to deflect attacks.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 4, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
You wanted it Ettin; you can't un-want it.

Anna Asagiri: MGPI

High Concept Magical Girl Private Eye
Invoke: To do private eye things, to do magical girl things; poo poo, this is pretty obvious.
Compel: To make her life noir protagonist terrible, to be mocked for or hampered by being magical, a teenage girl, a private dick, or some combination of the three.

Trouble: Little Miss Loose Cannon
Invoke: To do some Dirty Harry poo poo, to freak out Nic Cage in Bad Lieutenant style
Compel: To do either of the Invokes when it would be very inconvenient to do so

Background:
"You wanna know something funny? I love tokusatsu shows. Hey, just 'cause I said it was funny doesn't mean you can laugh, no-neck. Keep it up and you'll be laughing all the way to hell.

As I was saying. When I was a kid, well, more of a kid, I grew up on all that Ultrarider, Kamenman, Super Sentai horsecrap. It's the reason I'm in this crummy business; stuff rotted my brain enough I thought there was some real good in this world. Thought that the line was clear, black and white. Thought that the good guys always beat the bad guys and justice always prevailed. All of that is bullshit. Folks didn't beat that baloney out of my head but not for lack of trying; I saw the ignominy of justice firsthand. My pop's a private dick, sharpest tool in the TMPD but had to slum it as a traffic cop for years 'cause he got too close to the fire. GIA scooped him. I think he makes coffee for spooks now. It's worse on my mom's side; she was Magical*Miracle Misato-tan.

Wait, poo poo, Misato-Mama; she used having me as a "reinvention". Magical Girls are hungry for publicity, idols with messy severance packages. Real messy. Funny thing about the Mag Girl biz, once you grow tits they stop calling you -tan. It's a long, slow slide into puberty and obscurity as a Mag; first they call you -chan, then -nee, then some frou-frou bastard stage name like MiMi or Mami or CueTi, then they leave you rear end out and suffixless. Doesn't matter how many people you save, how many fires you put out, how close you get to madness. Once you're no longer marketable jailbait, you're done. Unless you come up with a gimmick.

Mom had Misato-Mama. I've got Anna Asagiri: MGPI."

Background Aspect: Seigi no Mikata
Invoke: To hunt down punks and criminals with burning JUSTICE~!
Compel: To do the Invoke when it would be very inconvenient to do so, to hate herself for not living up to TV kid show moral infallibility.

Yomikiri:
"The first thing you need to know about Magical Girls is that most are minor psychs. They get a little bit of spoon-bending and a little too much anime and they start thinking they're beautiful warriors of love and justice. Lot of those don't last too long; they piss off the wrong person or thing and disappear. Some of 'em grow out of it around college, treat the whole thing like some eight grader disease. A couple push too hard and just snap. Some as young as ten left staring beyond the veil until you close their eyes for good. Dead porcelain eyes, like a goddamned doll.

You get a couple of vigilante nuts or designer babies with layaway brains looking for trouble. Darwin claims those pretty quick, but they always cause a hell of a mess. Neo-Saitama got shut down when some girls fought over turf. Tried to cordon off the area with plasteel and a big ganguro broad put holes in it. Just stuck her hands into the stuff, tore off a chunk and beat another girl stupid with it until it broke. Lather, rinse, repeat. Hell of a thing to see at 14 working your first beat. Hell of a thing to realize you could do, if you gave a drat.

Me? I'm one of the lucky few "pure" Magical Girls. As in a girl who is magical in nature. It's not nice magic, but it works. Got it from my mom, who got it from a dusty tome in her grandmother's attic. It's on the OOI's shitlist now, Codex Liquifeo or something. Came with an imp from the Dreamlands; its real name sounds like choking on your own lifesblood so I call it QT. I am not the most clever of people. It gave me the standard spiel, same as my mom: sign the deal, spill the blood, sell your soul, save the world. Being young and stupid, I jumped at the chance. I mean, I could finally be the hero I saw on TV. Imagine being given the chance to fulfill your deepest desire as a kid, like fly a spaceship or turn into a dog or whatever. If you can sit here and tell me you wouldn't do what I did then I'll sit here and tell you you're full of poo poo.

Yeah, you. Ain't nobody else in the bar, is there? You're full of poo poo.

ANYWAY, I'm thrown out there, no training, no clue, full of piss and vinegar. Break up a few disputes, stop a few minor horrors. I was smart and I had connects, so I started doing the kid detective thing. Did police work on the side as a "Adolescent Paranormal Affairs Consultant". Actually outranked my dad for a little bit. Got a rep as a loose cannon since my adolescent awkwardness translated into a decent little bloodlust. Didn't let that faze me. Hooked up with some other mags, real good people. The MG5, we called ourselves. We fuckin' ran Uminari. I had respect, I had a squad, I had friends.

All that's gone. Six feet. All I've got now is a gun, a badge and some booze. And pills. Lots of pills."

Yomikiri Aspect: Vice Gripped
Invoke: To face down horrors with Dutch Courage, to get something from the seedy underbelly of the world
Compel: To drive her to drink, drugs, and/or (self)-destructive behavior

OVA:
"Fast forward. I'm in this juke joint in Chicago, trying to convince the bartender I'm of age, right? And in walks this moll. Gorgeous, in the way that makes you feel uglier just being in her presence. She's staring right at me, so I feel even worse. And she says, I'm not making this up, 'I need a dick'. Middle of the bar, loud enough for every lunkhead to hear. So of course she gets the third degree by every cock fit to crow. She's obviously uncomfortable and obviously from out of town, so I decide to help her out. Shoulda kept to myself, but my drat seigi no mikata started flaring up. I kneecap one lech that's a second away from working her over like tentacles in the weird stuff. Before anyone can pop off, I give them a peek at my little golden friend. They simmer down right quick.

I introduce myself to the lady, business card and all. When you look like I look, you make sure you do things like a professional. She smiled and gave me her name. Couldn't remember it. Called her Pinkie. She had pink hair at the time (I was zooted at the time) so it made sense. She took me outside, gave me an address and told me a sob story about a mysterious artifact. An opal stone, big as a quarter. Said it was lucky, that it kept her alive on these mean streets. Before I could press her for info she vanished. Straight up Houdinied. I was high enough for anything to be possible but it still didn't make sense.

That was my cue to call it a night, so I hailed a cab. Arab driver. Told him my address and not to make small talk. He made small talk. Went on and on about fate and luck, how we're all puppets in some grand game played by blind idiots. Sounded like cultist copy so I told him to stuff it, no small talk. He went dead silent, I mean dead loving silent. The kind of silent that makes its own sound. Few minutes later, he pulled over and told me this was my stop. It was the old meatpacking district. I live in Hyde Park. At this point, I'm getting heated. I'm in the cabbie's face, yelling and screaming and he keeps repeating 'This is the right place, this is your destination'. I'm about to pull out my piece and he peels out. Have half a mind to just lick shots, get it out of my system, but when I go for my gun I pull out my card. With Pinkie's address on it. I look up and that's where I am.

Now when I get there, I end up stumbling on a CoC cell. Regular freak soiree, with sacrifices and everything. I'd been looking for the bastards, DoA, ever since I ended up in Chicago. Naturally, I go in guns blazing; there were no Doughboys and nobody'll miss these fucks. Besides, you gotta grease a few to show you mean business. So I'm going to work, got my badass growl on, nice and blissed out on whisky and painkillers; everything's going aces. One of them's mouthing something that sober me would've blown his brains out for. Zooted me was too busy trying to get the high score in Whack-a-Cultist. I hear this inhuman shriek and a wet, tearing noise. My chest went cold, my body went numb. Mushmouth had stolen my heart and crushed it in his hand. Last thing I remember is pink.

I wake up next morning in my bed, hung over and freaking out. I clutch my chest. Nothing. I'm about to write the whole night off as a bad trip until I notice a letter on my nightstand, sealed with a kiss. It's from Pinkie, an opal choker and two words. 'Thank you.' When I put the thing on, I feel it beat like a second heart. Those in the know call it the Black Cat's Eye; I call it a second life. I've been shot, stabbed, set on fire and left to die. I'm still here. I never take the thing off. Never want to. They'll have to cut my head off if they want it.

Ever since that day, my luck's been terrible. Garbage falls on me, I've rolled snake eyes in Craps more times than is humanly possible, if a hoverbuggy has a screwy exhaust I'll get drenched with the runoff. Everybody at the precinct wants to play cards with me 'cause I always get the worst hands. When it's crunch time, though? Might as well be Irish."

OVA Aspect: Black Cat Strut
Compel: To have her luck turn to poo poo, to get taken out gruesomely
Invoke: To make other people's luck turn to poo poo, to miraculously survive

Skills:
+5: Investigation, Magical Girl
+4: Will, Guns
+3: Alertness, Lore
+2: Contacts, Empathy
+1: Intimidation, Systems

Magical Girl: Casting base. Gives her a little extra pep in her step for physical work; she'd be completely out of shape if it weren't for the magic keeping her fit. Knows how to work crowds and play dumb. Subs for Athletics/Physique/Fists when given hard drugs or time to ~*transform*~. Subs for Rapport, Presence or Deceit (GM's choice), but requires her to act like a cutesy magical girl for it.

Stunts:
Quick Eye [-1]
Pin Them Down [-1]

Powers:
Supernatural Recovery [-4]
Catch: Not wearing the Black Cat's Eye (+2 easy to fulfill, +1 esoteric knowledge) [+3]
Sponsored Magic: The Dreamlands [-4]

Stress:
Physical: ()()
Mental: ()()()()

Refresh: 1/8

e: My Magical Girl tag is frustratingly vague for actually doing stuff. Fixed it.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 2, 2013

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Agent Maynard Song of the Office of Occult Intelligence Criminal Psychology Unit

High Concept: OOI Field Profiler

The OOI knows that it's not enough to investigate ritual sites and arrest cultists after the fact. You also need to stop them before or while it happens. That's where the groups like the Criminal Psychology Unit step in. With its vast database of surveillance records and historical data, it can plot the course of criminal action patterns like the ripples on the surface of the murky underworld of the arcane. Even then, you can't solve everything by prediction – you need people on the ground, actually investigating the dark corners of the Earth and its mortal races. The unit's field investigators are formally referred to as Active Forensic Psychologists, but informally called Field Profilers, able to turn the contents of a dingy, bloodstained apartment or ransom note into a (mostly, probably) accurate psychological run-down of their perp.

Maynard Song is one such product of the OOI sponsored course of Forensic Occult Psychology. However, with a decade of field experience he's since built his own simpler theory from practical knowledge, creating a fusion of academic psychology and empirical intuition. He's gone a step further than identifying perpetrators into picking apart their motivations and estimating their moves as the net tightens around them.

Invoke to: produce a profile on someone known or unknown and intuit their probable motives and weaknesses; predict an occultist's next move on the fly
Compel to: make a flawed profile that puts someone in danger or lets the suspect get a step ahead of them

Trouble: Child of Chaos

It hurts when Maynard remembers the father-son, heart-to-heart talks he had as a child. Emotional pain is one part – headaches, bloody noses and blurred vision are the other. Sometimes he half-remembers incomprehensible speech, other times he sees apocalyptic vistas in his peripheral vision accompanied by his father's words. It was only when he joined the OOI and gained access to some of the seized cult recruitment material they had in storage that he started to even slightly understand what was going on – he was seeing prophecy from a group of related texts that foretold the demise of humanity and its absorption into, destruction by or subservience to what they called 'the crawling chaos'.

His father's connections with that insidious will, as well as his violent departure from his son's life, cast a shadow over Maynard. The OOI still don't fully trust him because of the occasional visions, and though they don't know the whole story he'll probably never advance beyond field-work. That's fine with him. Out here is where he wants to be.

Out here is where he'll find the answers he needs.

Invoke to: receive vague, allegorical hints from his visions; be stubborn in the face of authority
Compel to: suffer painful visions at inconvenient times; be impeded by a distrustful bureaucracy

Backstory: My Father was a Dhohanoid

Certain conversations aside, Maynard had a pretty normal childhood for the first 11 years of his life. His mother was an OOI analyst, his father a defence industry consultant. They lived in relative prosperity. It wasn't picture-perfect, but then what is?

Well, that all changed shortly after his 11th birthday. He came home from a friend's house to find a sinewy abomination standing over his mother in their living room. What pushed him over the edge was that the creature was wearing the tattered remains of his father's business suit.

Their neighbour called in a report about a strange, shadowed creature moving around the house. The call was intercepted by an OOI surveillance team; they arrived ten minutes later to find Maynard slumped, unharmed, beside his mother's body. A few weeks of therapy later and he was coherent enough to tell the investigators what he saw – but he didn't. He told them a monster killed both his parents. Neither they nor their machines picked up on the lie.

From then on out he was passed from foster home to foster home. Eventually he got out of the mire and into an OOI-sponsored degree with a substantial scholarship attached. Always, he was guided by the questions his father's actions left him with. What is his father? Why did he do it? What did he feel? Is he even human? Why did he let Maynard live? Above all: What has he done since then, and what end will everything point do?

Not only that, he never did find out what happened to his mother's body...

Invoke to: investigate, hunt and kill Dhohanoids; try to understand the motives of anything inhuman; chase after his father to the benefit of the mission
Compel to: have traumatic flashbacks; mistake a Tager for a Dhohanoid and act with extreme prejudice; chase after his father to the detriment of the mission

Yomikiri: Faculty Wars

At university was where Maynard regained his spark. He showed promise in his studies, especially in his interviews with rehabilitated Green Fury cultists on the techniques their leaders used to isolate them from outside influences. His tutor, a licensed wizard named Dr. Marcus Lowell, even floated the idea of allowing him to join some kind of pan-institutional research library called the 'Diogines Club', where he acted as a liaison with the OOI.

Everything was going smoothly until Lowell was suddenly targeted in a series of increasingly violent assassination attempts. Maynard pressed him to know why he carried on working while someone was out for his head, and the academic confessed that not only did he have a considerable number of wards over himself, he also knew who the culprit was. In fact, it was a fellow faculty member, one he said belonged to a rival research group called the 'Disciples of the Cold Ones'. He bade Maynard to let him confront the culprit alone – give them a bit of dignity – but the student couldn't let his teacher go alone and shadowed him to the meeting. The confrontation swiftly descended into a running battle through basement laboratories and boiler rooms, with both sides turning hellish energies into their weapons and shields. The fight ended when an OOI strike team Lowell requested earlier ambushed the Disciple as he tried to escape to his getaway car.

Ultimately Maynard decided that the academic life was not for him, though he still maintains contact with certain members of the Diogines Club.

Invoke to: have a good rapport with contacts in the Diogines Club; “Oh hey, I wrote a paper on this”
Compel to: be targeted by the Disciples of the Cold Ones for his associations with their enemy; back out of an arcane fight

Volume 3: Your Perp is My Informant

Just because mundane criminals and occult criminals both break the law, it doesn't mean they get along. There are plenty of organised, vigilante or professional law-breakers who'll help track down or shut down practitioners of the arcane, whether out of pragmatism or some sense of nobility or morality. The more established crime families are a prime example – some eschewed sorcery out of tradition or romanticism, though the more brutally ambitious of them picked up on magic with much enthusiasm. The upshot of that is that, provided you can make their lives a little easier, more than a few criminals are willing to pass on information or give a helping hand with flushing out rival groups with occult backing.

Such was the case in Verona with Mario Sansone, a betting shop manager with ties to the Vietti family. He was originally going to be set up as an informant on them following his arrest for fraud. However, his shop also served several potential Yellow King cultists hunted by Maynard and the investigative team he was with. Maynard promised Sansone freedom – a prospect the local police vehemently opposed – if only the bookie would tell the OOI team certain details about the habits and appearance of several regulars in his establishment. It was an offer he couldn't refuse. Maynard got the last pieces of the puzzle needed to identify the criminal and the probable site where they would purchase the Yellow King script, and the team was ready to move out. The police and their own superiors would give them hell, but they were ready to stop the cult and that's what matters, right?

Well, the raid didn't go quite as planned, since a certain person intervened...[open-ended for OVA/Omake stuff]

Invoke to: get information through the criminal grapevine; use unorthodox, possible illegal methods and make them work
Compel to: get into inter-agency quarrels with mundane policing organisations; make a deal with, if not the devil, then someone pretty unpleasant

OVA: Guest-starring in The Negotiator: Professional Synergy

Working in the field means your daily job is a fair bit less certain that some desk job in one of the headquarters. Sooner or later you just stop voicing your concerns about being drafted in to help with operations that are only tenuously connected to your expertise. Well, this time the situation was that a group of mentally-unstable individuals with arcane connections stormed a theatre and took everyone inside hostage. The guy in charge of the operation to deal with this drafted Maynard on short notice to help get inside these cultists' heads while they were holed up in the building and ready to start killing at practically any moment. That's not really his job, but the situation was urgent and the operation leader just had to make do. Hell, the negotiator was a counsellor. It's rarely a good sign when a crucial member of your team doesn't have professional training in their role.

That said, it actually does help to have people on hand during negotiations who know a little about the psychological structure of your average cult – things like who to put pressure on, who to ignore, who to compliment and how. She did take well to the role and do a lot better than everyone expected. She didn't take well to his suggestion to the commander that now was the perfect time to send in the strike team.

Invoke to: apply his professional knowledge to unfamiliar territory; back up Kimber in dealings with occultists
Compel to: get overloaded with work; have... professional differences with Kimber

Omake: Guest-starring in Working Out the Grand Equation: No Stranger to Death

The thing about three-way combat situations between shapeshifting monstrosities, high-tech mercenaries and a war-savant in mechanised armour is that they tend to turn into bloodbaths. There'll be blood spatters all up the walls, eyes melting out of their sockets, limbs smashed against trees a hundred metres away from the body they used to be a part of, that kind of stuff. What's worse is when you find some poor bastard with his legs wrapped the wrong way around a guard rail (he survived, though), or happen upon a quivering pile of magical viscera screaming inhuman obscenities as it withers and dies. The worst thing, though, is when you slip in a pool of ichor and pull a muscle in your calf. Oh, the miasma of death is hard to deal with at first, but after you investigate enough scenes of ritualistic murder and mass carnage you... adapt to it. Either that or get a desk job.

Invoke to: handle gore well; keep someone alive (long enough to be questioned, at least); get clues by fiddling with corpses
Compel to: anger or disturb people by being horribly desensitised to gore; have a low-level ally or a person of interest get horribly taken out nearby

Skills
+5: Occult Profiling, Lore
+4: Guns, Will
+3: Alertness, Athletics
+2: Scholarship, Physique
+1: Empathy, Weapons

Occult Profiling is based off of Investigation, but can be used in place of the appropriate trappings in Deceit, Empathy, Provoke or Rapport when dealing with criminal suspects once he has some idea of their personality and motives.

Stunts
Always Ready (Alertness): Gain +2 to Alertness when rolling against surprise.
Unshakeable (Will): When defending against social or mental attacks with Will, any of your aspects (such as consequences or other temporary or permanent aspects) that get tagged provide only a +1. If the attacker chooses to tag for a re-roll, you may “lock down” one of his dice, leaving him only the other three to re-roll.
Read the Surface (Empathy): Your first attempt to read someone takes less than a minute of interaction, instead of the usual ten. Any subsequent efforts with the same person do not enjoy this benefit.
Fast Reload (Guns): You take no penalty when reloading as a supplemental action; if you're in a race to see who reloads first, or anything else having to do with your speed or ability to reload, gain a +1 on the roll.
Scene of the Crime (Occult Profiling): When combing over a crime scene, you gain +1 to your Occult Profiling roll and arrive at your findings one step faster than usual on the time table.

Stress
Physical: ( )( )( )
Mental: ( )( )( )( )
Social: ( )( )

Refresh: 5/10

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 23, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Congratulations to Desty for making the best post this game is ever going to see.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Are you sure that was a failure?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best failure ever. The best at worst.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, I worked it out.

That post was too amazing to outright fail, so you can consider that obstacle cleared. The results will come up later. :getin:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

:shobon: Shucks, guys.

I'm really eager to find out what the Moebius failure has in store for us.

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
Kimber "Kim" Embry, LMHC

High Concept: Bleeding Heart OOI Field Counselor
"Hi, my name is Kimber Embry, most people just call be Kim. I have a master's degree in psychology and am employed by OOI as a Field Counselor. It's my job to see to the mental and emotional health of agent's in the field (which, given the nature of what they do, often comes under serious risk). My job not only do debriefings and one-on-one counseling sessions, but also going out in to monitor and maintain the mental health of agents in the field (get it, "Field" Counselor), as well as assist in there current investigation/operation to the best of my abilities. A lot of the time I'm the one who has to deal with innocent civilians that get caught up in supernatural shenanigans. Damage control really. I'm not very, um... physically capable, so when things get violent am usually relegated to "team cheerleader", as some call it. But hey, everyone needs moral support when you are facing down things that challenge you're view of reality."

Invoke: preform basic therapy under fire, tell civs it wasn't as bad as it looked when it was worse
Compel: "I'm a psychologist, not a [insert profession here]", Go out of way to make sure someone get's the mental help they need

Trouble: Big Sister Complex
"Some of my peers have noticed I am particularly protective of younger members of the organization, especially kids that joined up as soon as they got out of high school. They think I grow attached to them because after my brother disappeared I needed someone to fill the void he left. That's ... a little true, but there's more to it then that. The reason my brother and I were so close was because of my protective personality. It might be a tad bit unprofessional to extend some of this familial concern to my fellow agents, but as long as it helps more then it hinders, it can't be that unhealthy... right? And also, no one is ever going to replace my little brother."

Invoke: Push self to physically protect youths, Act like the cool big sis you never had,
Compel: Be a bit overprotective of younger team members, Ignore own mental state to worry about yours

Backstory: They Look Like Monsters to you?
"My Brother, Dylan, and I aren't blood related. I was born a Carter and my parents were killed by Green Fury terrorists (as were half of the other kids' parents at the orphanage they sent me) while he was born a Marsh and... we never did find out what happen to to his parents. Anyway, we both got sent to the same orphanage and, after awhile, he began to cling to me like a barnacle. He was always such a timid, quite boy and I guess he meshed will with my protective nature. Honestly, I just treat him like I'd treat any kid his age. I didn't really start feeling a family connection until we were adopted. You see, Mr. and Mss. Embry wanted to adopt Dylan and he said that he would only leave if "my big sister could come with me". I can't count the number of times I've told him how much that meant to me."

"Anyways, fast forward a few years. I just about to graduate high-school and Dylan is just about to start it. He pulled me aside on day and, after swearing me to secrecy, told me he had developed these scabrous patches on his skin. At first I told him he should see a doctor, but he said that he heard on the net that people who had a similar conditions had gone missing soon after checkups. So we did some more research and dinging around the Arcane Underground, and ... well we got a snapshot of what his future might be. I remember having to talk him out of suicide, telling him that how persons body changes doesn't change who they are and he would always be my little brother."

Invoke: Not as frighted of monsters that are humanoid in nature, willing to listen to the inhuman, knows 5 tell tale signs of a deep one hybrid.
Compel: Would give a humanoid monster chance to attack her before attacking it, "We can't do that, they are still people!", Knowledge and options might get her in trouble if her superiors in the OOI found out.

Yomikiri: Have You Seen This Fish!
"Cut to a few more years later. I had just finished my masters and was try to find job while Dylan was working on his BA. His... condition had made slow progress, but not beyond the point where he couldn't easily hid any abnormalities, at least as far as I know. We had grown a little more distant after he started collage. At the time, I was just glad that he was making it on his own and finally opening up to people that weren't me (if a bit paranoid about how much he would open up and to who). Then, one day I got a visit the some men in suits (I forget if they said they were OOI or if I just knew). They told me that my brother's roommate was found in their dorm "torn to shreds" and my brother was nowhere to be found. After three days he was declared a missing person and after three weeks all the searches and man hunts stopped."

"That's why I joined the OOI. My little brother is out there somewhere and the system ever can't find him or refuse to tell me where he is. By going inside the system, as well as doing my own investigation on the side, I will be able to find out what happen to Dylan and bring him home safe and sound."

Invoke: Pick up details in a case that might relate to her brothers, Knowledge she gained from her personal investigation that might apply to the current situation, Grill someone who might know something about her bro.
Compel: Get distracted from the current case, Go apeshit on anyone who suggest her bro is dead and/or a murderer, go against protocol to find the truth.

Volume Three: The Negotiator
"So the first month or so of working for the OOI (ignoring training and orientation) was spent doing desk work and supervision debriefings. Normally I'd be fine with this, but I could only do so much from the office, especially as a rookie with out any clout. I really wanted to get some field work. When it finally came... well, be careful what you wish for."

"The situation was a bunch of mentally unstable people, who were pack magical bullshit up the wazoo, stormed a theater and took everyone inside hostage. They were yelling about how we can't see the truth and we are all doomed and you know the rest. Seriously, I wrote a paper on guy's like this and they always say the same things. They wanted the book to some play that was going on soon (Golden Emperor or something like that, one of those artsy pieces Dylan loves) and I was the only one around qualified enough to negotiate with them. I think it went well, all things considered. Sure, the theater burnt down, but that was hardly my fault. I believe I was vital to the safe rescue of the hostages (when these types of people get violent, they go VIOLENT) and, not to sound cocky, if I was given enough time and resources I could have got them to surrender peacefully. Well, in the end all that maters is the hostages made it out alive and only mildly traumatized."

Invoke: "Let's listen to reason", Bad guys have eyes on her and not the strike team, Go to when you need to talk to crazies
Compel: Diplomacy is always and option!, takes the blame when things go wrong, "Surly giving them a couple of bullet proof vest won't make things worse"

OVA:Guest Starring In Marcus Bauhdric's "I have no time for fear":Mythos Magpie

"So one of the perks of my job is I travel all over the place. One time I was sent to London to help out in a missing persons case. While I didn't expect it to end with beautiful men brawling atop a burning building (Why does this keep happening to me), the mission was more then a success. During the clean-up raids, I (literally) stumbled upon a couple of odd books. They were pretty wore, and they had this weird symbol on the front. It was one I remember from when I was doing research with Dylan on his condition (I remember it cause he really wanted to get it tattooed on his arm someday), it looks like a star with an eye in the center. I... couldn't under stand what a word of what was inside of them meant, even the one that wasn't written in medieval french. Still, I decided to ... "Hold on" to them, in case they came in handy (or I find someone outside of work who knows medieval french)."

Invoke: Good at concealing things on her person, Knows the value of a good book, "I have the 5th edition of that! The cover is tore off and there are coffee stains on half the pages, but you can still kinda read it!"
Compel: Steal tomes of forgotten lore without OOI knowlege, Has difficulty understanding anything written inside said tomes, Doesn't know how to take care of said tomes (The coffee was hers).

Omake: Guest Starring In: "Your Perp is My Informant": Cthugha Blues

"So, I Have been pretty much assigned to Agent Song as a... Partner? Assistant? Consultant? We work together a lot. I think it's so both of us can keep tabs on each other for OOI or something. Anyway, him and I were doing an investigation in Verona (Well, more like he was doing an investigation and I was doing damage control for all the things he did in said investigation). We eventually had to do a raid on an industrial compound. I was commanded to stay outside the buildings the strike team were entering and radio in if someone tried to flee and/or provide back up if necessary. Midway through the operation I saw a guy coming out the back of the factory that was currently being raided. I moved to approach him (His demeanor did not suggest that he was hostile and I swear I knew him from somewhere before) but before I caught with him, I smelt the oh to familiar smell of burning paper. Apparently a couple of perps had retreated into a back office and began to torch a bunch of incriminating documents before we could get to them and the trash they we're using got knocked over. Luckily, thanks to that fire prevention book that Agent Song gave me (I think that was his idea of a joke), I manage to stop the fire before the entire place got lit. Unfortunately, I didn't improve my, um, 'reputation'."

"Seriously, I've been 15 raids over the last year and ALL of them ended in fire. People around the office have started calling me 'Agent Ember'. And this is a relatively recent development. Did like, a wizard do something to me or something? *sigh* At least I know how to deal with it now "

Invoke: SHSL Fire safety expert, knows where emergency doors are, Can take the heat
Compel: "Oh no, its happening again", has an undesirable reputation among her fellow OOI agents, might be literally cursed (or just very unlucky)

Skills

5 “Shrink”*, Will
4 Empathy, Rapport
3 Scholarship, Presence
2 Contacts, Provoke
1 Physique, Deceit

* Works like Empathy for the purposes of recovering social or mental consequences, as well as knowledge of the human psych and mental disorders. Still need empathy to read people, unless doing days of studying to find there specific mental disorder.

Stunts:
Counselor(shrink): You have some formal education
in professional counseling or psychotherapy.
Your skill can be used to justify another character’s
recovery from moderate or severe social
or mental consequences, provided you have the
time and opportunity to provide them with the
full extent of your services as a counselor

Resilient Self-Image(will): Your sense of self is
strong, enabling you to endure more psychological
punishment than most. You may take two
additional mild mental consequences

Read the Surface(empathy): You can get a sense of
someone quickly when trying to “read” them
. Your first attempt to read someone
takes less than a minute of interaction, instead
of the usual ten. Any subsequent efforts with the
same person do not enjoy this benefit.

Best Foot Forward(Rapport): People just like you, especially
when you’re deliberately trying to make
a good first impression. You gain a +1
on your roll to make a good first impression,
and failing that roll cannot give you a negative
temporary aspect or make the situation worse.

Capable Researcher: Some say you were
born in a library. Any scholarly research you
do is completed two time increments
faster than usual—due in large part to the fact
that you’ve probably read something about it
before.

stress
Physical: ()()()
Mental: ()()()() +3 mild consequence
Social: ()()()()

Refresh 5

Apologies for any typos.

Charlie72 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2013

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Alright, posting what I've got down so far, sorry it took so long. Ideally I think I can wrap this character up today. Feel free to tell me if it's a little too ridiculous.

Aidan Frost, AKA Tohthus-Amum of the Million Favored Ones, the Leering Teeth Behind the Veil

High Concept: Earthbound Eldritch Ashcroft "Consultant"

The corporatese term for Aidan's job is "High-Priority Personal Scene Consultant". What that means is that Aidan's job is to go where he's told, pick at anything that looks weird, and burn it all to the ground if what he found is too dangerous. Not quite a glamorous job, but then again Aidan isn't a glamorous person. Partially because he isn't even a person at all, at least not conventionally speaking. Why else do you think his profile with the Ashcroft Foundation is kept on a need to know basis? Don't want to panic fellow employees with news of an eldritch creature among them now would we?

Invoke when: Identifying and knowing how to handle artifacts and alien tech, dealing with insanity causing situations as though they were normal, benefiting from a high level of clearance
Compel when: Smells like a monster, causing major collateral damage "just to be safe", being forced to contain a situation, owned by the Ashcroft Foundation

Trouble: Bad Blood, Worse Temper

However, if there is one thing that can be said with anyone who has been with Aidan long, it's that he's a jerk. A loud, violent, chain-smoking jerk. This is not a new personality trait for him at all. Until his "service" with Ashcroft started, Aidan was wandering around the world, causing trouble wherever he went. With a short temper and with a small gang of cultists and monsters attached to him, it was pretty easy to get into trouble. Some of the people he pissed off still want to get even with him, not the least among them being the Children of Chaos.

Invoke when: Having street cred as a hard-rear end, having a reputation of being unbalanced, calling in shady contacts, being a loud punk
Compel when: Distrusted, reacting angrily to an insult or sleight, people (or creatures) are out for his head, old followers appear

Backstory: Two Spirits, One Body, Bad Times

Not long ago, Aidan Frost was a being named Tohthus-Amum. It was a being of sorrow who wandered the Dreamlands for hundreds of years, touching upon the mortal realms as they overlapped. As one of the Million Favored Ones of Nyarlathotep, he had caught the eyes of a particularly brave group of humans from the Children of Chaos. They figured that, though he was considered among the lowest of the Million Favored Ones, if Tohthus-Amum were bound they would still be able to harness great power. They madly thought that they could make their own pet demigod. So, they found a volunteer, a poor para-psychic college student whose life became too filled with despair, and they pulled Tohthus-Amum from the Dreamlands and into the very soul of the young man.

Tohthus-Amum was superimposed onto the young man, their spirits clashing and twisting into a knot. After what seemed like an eternity, the two souls became as one, the result splintered and fractured. As the being's new form began to rise, the cultists performing the ritual started to celebrate. The cultists recited one last phrase, attempting to chain the new being to their command. They couldn't even finish before the new being punched the leader in the face. After he escaped, the being saw a name in his mind. The name was Aidan Frost.

Invoke when: Drawing from the memories of his unnaturally long life, revealing his eldritch nature
Compel when: His body freaks out or shuts down, plagued by fractured memories, encountering parts of his old lives

Yomikiri: You've Got a Heart of Gold, Mr. Grinch

A lot of very important people wanted Aidan's head for one reason or another. Naturally the O.O.I. was one of those groups of people. One day they finally caught him, swarming the derelict mansion he was staying in. However, the strange thing about it was that they didn't shoot to kill Aidan. Instead, he was bound and knocked out, his mind trapped in a complete void.

When he woke up, he was on an operating table. There was a pain in his chest, and a middle-aged woman sitting in a chair with a file in her hand. She told him what had happened to him when he was out. Aidan was now a part of the Ashcroft Foundation, and his heart was replaced with a gold-plated implant, complete with a kill switch. If Aidan ever stepped out of line, with a push of a button the heart will stop and his spirit will be obliterated. Even worse, he's noticed that his nature is being changed against his will. Was there a trend of him acting...nice? No it couldn't be, must be some psychosomatic reaction to his heart being gold-plated. Who does that anyway?

[Jingle for The ExoCute Binding Amulet: Model Doki Doki Shining Heart. "Cure Cthulhu with the Power of Heart! ~<3"]

Invoke when: Bringing his handler in on something, being held as a valuable asset
Compel when: Being chained to a handler, acting under threat of absolute death, acting oddly nice(r)

Volume Three: "You're Invited to a Mythos Family Reunion"

There were rumors going on about a family living in a mansion in Berlin. There were some rumors about the von Diederichs regarding some suspicious activity. Odd noises, stranger company, balls of light, the usual stuff. When a kidnapping around the same area happened on the eve of the winter solstice, the O.O.I. made a stop at the mansion. Aidan and his handler were deployed there at the time, and Ashcroft displayed interest in the sudden O.O.I. presence. So, Aidan was brought along for the ride.

It seemed fine at first, if a bit creepy. Old mansions in relatively secluded places can be that way sometimes. The thing is, like so many bad pieces of horror fiction, it turned out it wasn't just creepy. There was indeed bad things going down. Worse, it was a summoning ritual. Even worse, it turned out the subjects being summoned were all envoys of Nyarlathotep and his allies, gathered for a meeting of mutual "brotherhood". In essence, it was a reunion party, and Tohthus-Amum was invited. It was about then that [CLASSIFIED UNTIL GUEST ASSIGNMENT]

Aidan hasn't stopped drinking since.

Invoke when: Getting along (relatively) peacefully with mythos beings, discovering dirty and eldritch old secrets
Compel when: Needing a drink RIGHT NOW, being associated with the Million Favored Ones, being mocked as an upstart, suffering the most awkward and insanity causing "family" dinner ever

OVA: Say "Hastur" AGAIN!

Invoke when: Cracking down on someone for information, busting into where he doesn't belong, generally being scary
Compel when: Tempted to just say "screw it" and smash his way through, deal with inter-agency politics and drama (likely caused by him)

Skills:
+5: Millionth Favored One
+4: Physique, Lore
+3: Provoke, Investigation
+2: Athletics, Fists, Deceit
+1: Contacts, Guns, Stealth, Empathy, Burglary

Passion Skill: Millionth Favored One counts as Casting, counts as Will for calculating Mental Stress boxes, complements any skills that would apply to being a Mythos creature such as Lore.

Stress Boxes:
Mental: ()()()() +1 Mild Consequence
Consequences: Mild() Medium() Serious()

Powers:
Channeling [-2] (Element: Geometry)
Thaumaturgy [-3] (Specialization: Entropomancy)
The Catch: Pure Enchanted Gold [+2] (Rare +1, Access to Specific Material +1)
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
The Sight [-1]

Refresh: 2

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 11, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
There is no problem you can't solve by inventing an NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
There will be an ExoCute salaryman here once I work out exactly how I'm going to refluff Thaumaturgy as filling out reams and reams of paperwork. So after work tonight, I guess.

• Locked thread