Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My moga forecast is so lovely with days and days of Great Jaggi in a row. When I see something good, like an Azure Rathalos pop up, I put plans on hold for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

That's an odd set but maybe his stats and charms make it

Oh

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
I've noticed some people even in G rank wear whatever they think looks good. A lot of the time it's an awful clownsuit with no real perks but to each his own I guess.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Seemenaked posted:

I've noticed some people even in G rank wear whatever they think looks good. A lot of the time it's an awful clownsuit with no real perks but to each his own I guess.

No reason to min max if you have the skill. I wouldn't ignore skills, but bi could see why people would.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I've found that treating Brachy like the Barioth works wonders. Keep close, all of his really nasty attacks require a little warm up and some jumping. Don't be afraid to be right in his loving face because that's the blindspot for the majority of his attacks.

He's a really, really fun fight. I love him. The monsters are definitely hit-and-miss. Rathalos, Plesioth, and Ceadeus, just to name a few are simply annoying to fight. Brachy is a great loving addition.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
When you cap a monster in free hunt is there anyway of getting stuff from it? If not I'm a little mad about that wasted stuff.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gobbledygoat posted:

When you cap a monster in free hunt is there anyway of getting stuff from it? If not I'm a little mad about that wasted stuff.

No, but you've got a higher chance of getting rare commodities when you talk to Junior after you're done free hunting and you get a lot more resource points.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any particularly fast ways to make resource points, since you mention it? Keeping the farm and boats running is bloody time consuming. :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speedboat Jones posted:

My moga forecast is so lovely with days and days of Great Jaggi in a row. When I see something good, like an Azure Rathalos pop up, I put plans on hold for that.

Same here. I actually dropped out of a fairly good group to kill a zinogre, the first 6* item dropping monster I've ever seen in free hunt. Thank god he actually dropped it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any particularly fast ways to make resource points, since you mention it? Keeping the farm and boats running is bloody time consuming. :(

There are certain items you can turn into resource points. Royal Ludroth drops 1 called "quality sponge" or something that is worth 1000. Once you can fight agnaktor or uragaan you can get several lava chunks per fight which can be exchanged for 1.5k each and make resource points completely trivial.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is the stuff I heard about wii u gamepad-only play coming this month rumor or true? I've been playing a couple weeks and absolutely love it so far but being able to farm resources or something while watching TV would be awesome.

Ciaphas posted:

I noticed that one of the items the Royal Ludroth (I think) drops is worth 1000 points but I have a feeling it's only that much because it's super rare.

Edit: When will the Arzuros start appearing on my forecast? It's weird he's not there since he's literally the second big creature I fought. I just got the second shakalaka.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Same here. I actually dropped out of a fairly good group to kill a zinogre, the first 6* item dropping monster I've ever seen in free hunt. Thank god he actually dropped it.

Azure Rath drops 6* trades too. And I think Deviljho drops 7*.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Sankis posted:

Is the stuff I heard about wii u gamepad-only play coming this month rumor or true? I've been playing a couple weeks and absolutely love it so far but being able to farm resources or something while watching TV would be awesome.

I noticed that one of the items the Royal Ludroth (I think) drops is worth 1000 points but I have a feeling it's only that much because it's super rare.

Edit: When will the Arzuros start appearing on my forecast? It's weird he's not there since he's literally the second big creature I fought. I just got the second shakalaka.

Only certain monsters show up. Arzuros will never show up unless he appears in high rank?

Also capping Royal Ludroth is an easy 600 resource points.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trade in Duramboros humps for 1500 resource points each. You can get a decent amount from Low Rank Dbos and be pretty well set on resources for a while.

edit: You're right, low rank Moga Woods only has Great Jaggi, Peco, R. Ludroth, Rathian, Rathalos, and Lagiacrus. Nighttime Moga Woods has almost everything. Just about every time you fight a new monster in high rank village Junior tells you he saw one in the woods, even ones that make no sense being there, like Barroth.

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2013

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Speedboat Jones posted:

Trade in Duramboros humps for 1500 resource points each. You can get a decent amount from Low Rank Dbos and be pretty well set on resources for a while.

edit: You're right, low rank Moga Woods only has Great Jaggi, Peco, R. Ludroth, Rathian, Rathalos, and Lagiacrus. Nighttime Moga Woods has almost everything. Just about every time you fight a new monster in high rank village Junior tells you he saw one in the woods, even ones that make no sense being there, like Barroth.

Sometimes Barroth just wants a vacation.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hypha posted:

Sometimes Barroth just wants a vacation.

He vacations to a place without mud.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Are bow using randoms a liability due to their tendency to explode if they fail to keep out of the reach of a monster?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Speedboat Jones posted:

He vacations to a place without mud.

So do most people! :sun:

Carecat posted:

Are bow using randoms a liability due to their tendency to explode if they fail to keep out of the reach of a monster?

I'd certainly be a little worried.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Ciaphas posted:

Uragaan is the fastest way to get resource points. Knock him over and you can mine 2 lavastones from his back and they are in the rewards too. I've seen up to 4 of them in rewards from capping him.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carecat posted:

On the plus side a barely competent bow user will exhaust, poison, paralyze, sleep, exhaust then poison the monster for you. Am I actually doing any damage? probably not.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mcpringles posted:

Wroggi armor works great on Rathian. It has fire resist and poison immunity.

Also a great tip for Rathian and probably others. If you go to area 8 in D Forest and pick up the egg Rathian will fly there from wherever she is. As soon as she starts leaving pick it up and she'll come right back.
I actually have a full Wroggi set leveled up as far as I can get with normal Armor Spheres. I took more damage from getting tail-whipped or that drat stomping attack.

I get the impression that Rathian is a "The Real Monster Hunter Begins Here" moment; it's where you really have to start approaching with a plan past "flail weapon at monster" and using all the tools available.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So I'm on my 3rd try with this Ceadus village fight and I just don't get it, the villager says the damage will stick with each fight but I'm getting nothing!

All I've hear is you have to break the beard to re-route him, but I'm nowhere, for reference I'm using a Greatsword (Type. 41 Wyvrenator) any tips?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Why do some weapons have things like "WA 120" or whatever in their stats? I have no idea what those mean :saddowns:

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Ciaphas posted:

Why do some weapons have things like "WA 120" or whatever in their stats? I have no idea what those mean :saddowns:

WA stand for water, it does 120 points of water damage. There is also fire, electricity and ice elemental damage. Some monster are weak against some elements, like Rathian weak against electriciy, or diablos weak against ice.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Seemenaked posted:

I think pubbies see someone in a mixed set (with actual, good skills active) and think "oh I can just wear anything I want now like I did in low grade! :downs:"

Fancy Hat! posted:

All I've hear is you have to break the beard to re-route him, but I'm nowhere, for reference I'm using a Greatsword (Type. 41 Wyvrenator) any tips?

A water GS (though element isn't as important for GS) is probably not the best weapon to be bringing to a ceadeus fight. Have you actually seen his beard break? There'll be a whole flurry of hair strands flying when you do actually break his beard, then he'll recoil, then move off to the last area at a rate you can't keep up with unless you sprint swim faster. His beard does take quite a fair bit of damage to actually break, too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignimbrite posted:

I think pubbies see someone in a mixed set (with actual, good skills active) and think "oh I can just wear anything I want now like I did in low grade! :downs:"

A water GS (though element isn't as important for GS) is probably not the best weapon to be bringing to a ceadeus fight. Have you actually seen his beard break? There'll be a whole flurry of hair strands flying when you do actually break his beard, then he'll recoil, then move off to the last area at a rate you can't keep up with unless you sprint swim faster. His beard does take quite a fair bit of damage to actually break, too.

I have had great luck with lance. Forward r+x x,x,x side dodge x,x,x Repeated forever.
I broke his beard, tail and back in my first try.
I used the rathalos armor and lance gemmed for even more attack

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Sankis posted:

The only monsters that appear in moga forest at first (daytime) are the same ones from Tri. Once you beat Ceadeus, you get access to night time Moga Forest, and then doing hunts for monsters will unlock their high-rank variants at night.

This is where you'll see things like Arzuros and G.Wroggi in Moga. They only appear in the nighttime version, and only once you get to high-rank.

BrightGreenLine fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 7, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I'm afraid your sword is infested with Warios.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"Oh god oh god diablos oh god were gonn..."

QUEST COMPLETE

I had no idea diablos gave no "capture tell"

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

QUEST COMPLETE

He does.

His tell is to enrage. Constantly.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Notinghamington posted:

WA stand for water, it does 120 points of water damage. There is also fire, electricity and ice elemental damage. Some monster are weak against some elements, like Rathian weak against electriciy, or diablos weak against ice.

There's a gunlance that does PA damage. I assumed it stood for poison until I remembered there was no A in poison. What is it?

Man, I really need to read up more.

BrightGreenLine posted:

The only monsters that appear in moga forest at first are the same ones from Tri. Once you beat Ceadeus, you get access to night time Moga Forest, and then doing hunts for monsters will unlock their high-rank variants at night.

This is where you'll see things like Arzuros and G.Wroggi in Moga. They only appear in the nighttime version, and only once you get to high-rank.

I hear talk about a high rank mode or whatever for singleplayer. Is this just a new(?) continuation or is it some kind of new game+?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Jet Set Jettison posted:

QUEST COMPLETE

After you beat on her for a while, once she insta-enrages from ONE HIT, she's probably ready to be captured.

Or she's PMSing.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Sankis posted:

There's a gunlance that does PA damage. I assumed it stood for poison until I remembered there was no A in poison. What is it?

I hear talk about a high rank mode or whatever for singleplayer. Is this just a new(?) continuation or is it some kind of new game+?

High rank is where the tutorial ends :black101:

PA is paralysis

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 7, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sankis posted:

its a continuation of the game. There are new monsters and the ones you already fought are now harder. All the loot is better too.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Sankis posted:

I'm pretty sure PA is PAralysis.

e: beaten up above.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm afraid your sword is infested with Warios.

:witf:

(there should be a :witf:)

(Thanks, didn't realize that was how elemental damage is indicated. Looks like it's time to start paying attention to what weapons I craft, I've just been winging it up to now!)

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004

Sankis posted:

Offline Tri ended after killing Ceadeus, essentially. You got some extra quests if I remember, but it was impossible to get + rank materials.

In MH3U in Moga Village, after you repel Ceadeus successfully, you get a new urgent to kill Purple Ludroth. Then, you get to run through the entire cast of monsters a second time, with a few new additions and many off-color variants. This is the high-rank we're talking about : Everything from Purple Ludroth onwards.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BrightGreenLine posted:

Offline Tri ended after killing Ceadeus, essentially. You got some extra quests if I remember, but it was impossible to get + rank materials.

In MH3U in Moga Village, after you repel Ceadeus successfully, you get a new urgent to kill Purple Ludroth. Then, you get to run through the entire cast of monsters a second time, with a few new additions and many off-color variants. This is the high-rank we're talking about : Everything from Purple Ludroth onwards.

That's actually pretty helpful, thanks. :)

Is G-Rank the same thing or do I have to do guild quests to unlock that (I've only been doing village quests so far).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
G-rank is online / Tanzia quests only, Moga Village quests end at the end of High rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

(there should be a :witf:)

Have I ever got a thing for you!

• Locked thread