Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lotish posted:

I just finished watching Clue again, and for the first time I watched it from the very beginning. I had no idea that Mr. Green's entire thing was he was supposed to be homosexual: It's why he was being black-mailed, and why he makes the joke about sleeping with his wife at the end. Seriously, losing your job because you like guys? It's easy to forget how the world used to be.

It's also important to remember that while clue was made in the 80's it's set in the 50's, so there's even more stigma around his orientation due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lotish posted:

I just finished watching Clue again, and for the first time I watched it from the very beginning. I had no idea that Mr. Green's entire thing was he was supposed to be homosexual: It's why he was being black-mailed, and why he makes the joke about sleeping with his wife at the end. Seriously, losing your job because you like guys? It's easy to forget how the world used to be.

It was weird watching Dirty Harry for the first time and hearing people use "friend of the family" so casually in conversation. Old movies are portals into how the world used to be, the good and the bad.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

It's also important to remember that while clue was made in the 80's it's set in the 50's, so there's even more stigma around his orientation due to that.

More so since he said he worked for the government and any kind of sexual deviation is seen as a weakness that will lead to state secrets being leaked, even applies today to some extent still when it comes time for security clearance.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lotish posted:

:stare: I haven't seen Clue since I was a kid, I really need to watch this again.

Red_Museum posted:

Snowpiercer has a bunch of character 'passports'

This looks awesome and Tilda Swinton is involved so I'm in.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When in doubt just make it in Sensurround...

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Lance Streetman posted:

It was weird watching Dirty Harry for the first time and hearing people use "friend of the family" so casually in conversation. Old movies are portals into how the world used to be, the good and the bad.

There's a scene in Eddie Cantor's Whoopee! from 1930 where Cantor, in black face (of course), goes to talk to the female protagonist. He puts his hand on her, and she shoots back, "How dare you touch me?!". He quickly clears it up that he's just in black face, but it's a weird horrifying moment in a really bad comedy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lance Streetman posted:

IIRC a lot of actors turned down the role of Dirty Harry Callahan because the movie was such unapologetic fascist wankfest, it was pretty shocking for the time too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Yeah Dirty Harry may actually have been more shocking then than now because there wasn't the solid bed of movies glorifying angry piece of poo poo cops we now have.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Lotish posted:

Actually, Mr. Green being homosexual was a cover story, hence the explanation in the real ending when he revealed that he was a plant by the CIA to track down Mr. Boddy's network of informants.

If you want a real life example of the time, look up Tommy Kirk (star of Disney's Old Yeller). He came out early in his career and, well, that was about it for him. But yeah, even now it's still very much a thing, it's just not as overt as it was in the past.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 8, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Museum posted:

Metro 2033 was a pretty cool game.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Metro 2033 was a pretty cool game.

Le Transperceneige which Snow Piercer is an adaptation of, was first published in 1982.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Why's there a bunch of junk on there in Korean? I could sound it out but the hell if I know what it means.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Because it's Korean promotional material for a Korean production by a Korean director featuring several Korean actors?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Red_Museum posted:

I like the implication that this is just how Tilda poses for her passport.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Reminder: Snowpiercer is done by the greatest living director, Bong Joon-Ho, and stars his standby the totally magnetic Song Kang-Ho.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I love how Tilda Swinton looks in that passport poster. She looks like John Malkovich in Hitchhiker's Guide.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Red_Museum posted:

The description makes it sound like it's based on La Compagnie des glaces/The Ice Company/Transarctica so I will definitely be watching this.

*Edit*

Mister Chief posted:

Le Transperceneige which Snow Piercer is an adaptation of, was first published in 1982.

Yes, this is definitely a movie I want to see.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 8, 2013

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

penismightier posted:

Yeah Dirty Harry may actually have been more shocking then than now because there wasn't the solid bed of movies glorifying angry piece of poo poo cops we now have.

Speaking of this, I recently picked up the first season of Police Story (1973) and it is amazing how what was once shown as "crazy" behavior (putting your hand on your pistol during a routine traffic stop) is now acceptable and even part of the training. That episode was called "the Wyatt Earp" syndrome because they couldn't use "John Wayne syndrome" (what the cops actually called it at the time) for fear of being sued.

Great show, the pilot episode features Vic Morrow chasing down criminal badass Chuck Conners!

I couldn't find a better picture of the poster.

Here's some movie poster content, though!

:ughh:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Barometer posted:

Life Force poster

Great, I just got fired from my job at the naked lady movie poster factory.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

penismightier posted:

Reminder: Snowpiercer is done by the greatest living director, Bong Joon-Ho

Oh god, did John Turteltaub die?! :ohdear:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just finished Fatal Games and man, 80s people were loving terrified of transgender people.

Go through the entire list of transgendered characters in Hollywood cinema and you can name the positive portrayals on one hand. Roberta from Garp, Bree from Transamerica...Most are either killers based off Hollywood's continuing fascination at the Ed Gein case, victims, or jokes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least Silence of the Lambs is pretty quick to point out that Jame Gumb was NOT a transsexual.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

penismightier posted:

There's no good poster for the best title ever:

I think it was a TV movie. I've seen it and it did not live up to the promise of the title.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Random Stranger posted:

I think it was a TV movie. I've seen it and it did not live up to the promise of the title.

Because it's actually a peninsula like Monster Island?

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
Death Car on the Freeway:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dick Trauma posted:

When in doubt just make it in Sensurround...

The review blurb they used on this poster doesn't sound like a compliment at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just love the idea of a Rollercoaster being a 'suspense' melodrama. Literally.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I like the idea of a non-stop rollercoaster ride being anything but.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

penismightier posted:

Reminder: Snowpiercer is done by the greatest living director, Bong Joon-Ho, and stars his standby the totally magnetic Song Kang-Ho.

Remind me again: who the hell is Bong Joon-Ho? IMDb is coming up with a guy who's directed four previous movies that I've never heard of, which is unusual.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Remind me again: who the hell is Bong Joon-Ho? IMDb is coming up with a guy who's directed four previous movies that I've never heard of, which is unusual.

Go check out The Host, it's wonderful.

This poster is pretty much perfect.

Edit: Oh, I forgot he directed Mother, which is also awesome.

Another excellent poster.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 8, 2013

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Barometer posted:

Lifeforce
Principal cast: Patrick Stewart as Dr. Armstrong

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
He made Mother and the incredible Memories of Murder.

The Host was okay, I guess.

I can't find myself in the greatest living director bit, but I can agree Song Kang-Ho being amazing :allears:

scary ghost dog posted:

Go check out The Host, it's wonderful.

This poster is pretty much perfect.

Incidentally, the girl in this picture stars in Snowpiercer.

Also in The Host, Doona Bae, who played Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas.

Trivia all up in this thread.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 8, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Barometer posted:

There's a classics collection or some such with that as the cover of the DVD over here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

:colbert:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Do not take orally administered laxatives as a suppository.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I go out of my way not to stick things up my rear end.

You just went, "welp, it's medicine so up the hatch it goes!" ?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I go out of my way not to stick things up my rear end.

You just went, "welp, it's medicine so up the hatch it goes!" ?

The box said analgesic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lifeforce owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lifeforce owns