Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lifeforce owns

How often does that happen in that movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

How often does that happen in that movie?

Apparently all the loving time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What exactly IS going on in those scenes?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Gonz posted:

What exactly IS going on in those scenes?

You wouldn't believe it if I told you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

echoplex posted:

You wouldn't believe it if I told you.

I just read the entire synopsis for Lifeforce.

I need to see this movie.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Gonz posted:

Lifeforce is the most bananas film you'll ever see that's not trying to be wacky or out there. It's earnestly ridiculous. It's so mad that months after you see it, it'll be a haze of ridiculous and impossible imagery that makes no sense. It looks extremely 80s in that drop-off-into-black kind of way and and the cheap film stock has a kind of documentarian feel about it sometimes, especially in the steets at the end.

The fact that the cast can keep a straight face is actually sort of amazing.

It's by no means a a good film, but it does deserve watching. Once.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 8, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I think it works pretty well.
I thought the puppets and effects were genuinely creepy and really unsettling when I only saw it a couple of years ago.
When they obviously ran out of money at the end and just had people in zombie make-up running around instead of these things

it's a bit of a let down.

The naked lady is good too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 8, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just finished Fatal Games and man, 80s people were loving terrified of transgender people.

I watch both of these by the way, Death Spa is just like you said, it's almost a little like Zombie Nightmare or something where it just seems like they were winging it at some point because they had no money. Very disappointing. Fatal Games, however, is surprisingly humorous and well done, not as good as Deathdream, De Lift or Sleepaway Camp 1. Maybe a little better than Silent Night Deadly Night 2. I'm sure you noticed there is a shitload of bad slashers uploaded by the same guy, let's go ahead and watch them all.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Chicolini posted:

Death Car on the Freeway:

I love the Death Car series, though I'd rate Death Car at Camp and Big Top Death Car ahead of this.

And that The Host poster is awful, what the hell?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I watch both of these by the way, Death Spa is just like you said, it's almost a little like Zombie Nightmare or something where it just seems like they were winging it at some point because they had no money. Very disappointing. Fatal Games, however, is surprisingly humorous and well done, not as good as Deathdream, De Lift or Sleepaway Camp 1. Maybe a little better than Silent Night Deadly Night 2. I'm sure you noticed there is a shitload of bad slashers uploaded by the same guy, let's go ahead and watch them all.

Oh man, I just found Neon Maniacs (1986) on youtube. My brother gave me that on VHC for my birthday ages ago, it's awesome. Themed (doctor, native american, samurai, etc) zombie demons living under the Golden Gate bridge

(click for big)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEGQdNdWoag
(pt. 1 of 10)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Video For Pleasure.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I watch both of these by the way, Death Spa is just like you said, it's almost a little like Zombie Nightmare or something where it just seems like they were winging it at some point because they had no money. Very disappointing. Fatal Games, however, is surprisingly humorous and well done, not as good as Deathdream, De Lift or Sleepaway Camp 1.

I definitely think some of the deaths were handled pretty well. The most effective ones were exactly what you expect from a javelin murder: swift, unexpected. Abrupt. It worked well in the first murder (the weightlifter pinned to the wall) and on the field (with the javelin thrower). It's kind of memorable in a way. Definitely better than Death Spa.

I'm sure you noticed there is a shitload of bad slashers uploaded by the same guy, let's go ahead and watch them all.

Let's. I finished Attack Of The Killer Refrigerator which was surprisingly great (as I mentioned in the General Chat thread) and Shadows Of The Mind which doesn't really reach its full potential (at all) even though it starts out promising with the protagonist's first person perspective and inner monologue which is sadly completely abandoned soon after, but it has a killer theme tune.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I definitely think some of the deaths were handled pretty well. The most effective ones were exactly what you expect from a javelin murder: swift, unexpected. Abrupt. It worked well in the first murder (the weightlifter pinned to the wall) and on the field (with the javelin thrower). It's kind of memorable in a way. Definitely better than Death Spa.

Not just the kills, though, the other scenes in the film setting the stage are a mix of 80's talent show stuff (I don't know why, but in the 80's there were so many films about people expressing themselves through gymnastics or dance or rollerskating or whatever and you have to get whole scenes of movies where someone is doing some kind of routine or kata) and post-Animal House style "situation" comedy. I would go so far as to say it actually hangs together despite most of the scenes being kind of an irrelevant hodgepodge. It's D-grade Altman.

quote:

Let's. I finished Attack Of The Killer Refrigerator which was surprisingly great (as I mentioned in the General Chat thread) and Shadows Of The Mind which doesn't really reach its full potential (at all) but has a killer theme tune.

I tried to do this with Troma but remembered very quickly that Troma kind of sucks outside a handful of those movies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Not just the kills, though, the other scenes in the film setting the stage are a mix of 80's talent show stuff (I don't know why, but in the 80's there were so many films about people expressing themselves through gymnastics or dance or rollerskating or whatever and you have to get whole scenes of movies where someone is doing some kind of routine or kata) and post-Animal House style "situation" comedy. I would go so far as to say it actually hangs together despite most of the scenes being kind of an irrelevant hodgepodge.

Yeah, the transitions aren't too jarring. Even though the entire credit sequence is just a long gymnastics montage.

It's D-grade Altman.

I love this.

I tried to do this with Troma but remembered very quickly that Troma kind of sucks outside a handful of those movies.

So far this stuff is way better and far more interesting than Troma's stuff. I tried it too once, and I didn't get far. It's got some cult classics, definitely. But most if it is just trash. And most of them commit the cardinal sin of being uninteresting trash.

Even Shadows of the Mind, in which very little actually happens, is a really interesting film.

And no, this poster for the film is absolutely not indicative of the actual movie:

Mostly because it's the poster for a completely different film a decade older.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Once we start watching all this poo poo it might have to move over to the Horror thread.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I also played Legacy of Kain.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Once we start watching all this poo poo it might have to move over to the Horror thread.

Making a post right now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm hoping this is the order these were revised for promotional release, with the ad people getting told each time it came back, "Tone it down a little."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

scary ghost dog posted:

Go check out The Host, it's wonderful.

This poster is pretty much perfect.

Edit: Oh, I forgot he directed Mother, which is also awesome.

Another excellent poster.

As well as those, he did Memories of Murder, the best crime film ever made.

That guy in the middle is in Snowpiercer!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Someone needs to rustle up an 'Only free if your time is worthless' full-length youtube movies thread :)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I used to have Neon Maniacs on VHS. I remember being upset that they gave away the monsters' weakness on the back of the case.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Poster for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium released today. Trailer comes out tomorrow, apparently.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dillbag posted:

Poster for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium released today. Trailer comes out tomorrow, apparently.

Doc Ock: The Movie?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I cannot loving wait for that movie.

That poster is kinda sucky though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I like it. Also being able to watch TV on the back of someone's head while you're on the bus would be pretty cool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

Petty cool. I like how the tech is pretty ugly and not super "oh hey look at how sci-fi it is!"

Looks like some old camera interface just jammed into your skull.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

penismightier posted:

As well as those, he did Memories of Murder, the best crime film ever made.

That guy in the middle is in Snowpiercer!

Memories of Murder always made good use of photography for their promotional material. It's secretly the best South Korean film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Petty cool. I like how the tech is pretty ugly and not super "oh hey look at how sci-fi it is!"

Looks like some old camera interface just jammed into your skull.

How else can the Executive manipulate his bio-chip?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

echoplex posted:

Lifeforce is the most bananas film you'll ever see that's not trying to be wacky or out there. It's earnestly ridiculous. It's so mad that months after you see it, it'll be a haze of ridiculous and impossible imagery that makes no sense. It looks extremely 80s in that drop-off-into-black kind of way and and the cheap film stock has a kind of documentarian feel about it sometimes, especially in the steets at the end.

The fact that the cast can keep a straight face is actually sort of amazing.

It's by no means a a good film, but it does deserve watching. Once.

You hit the nail on the head here. It's weird and there's a lot of visually interesting stuff in it, but god this movie sucks. I hated it so much, but I think part of that is because I had really high expectations based on some of the zany poo poo that happens earlier in the movie. In a way I'm glad I saw it, but I'm almost certain I would never sit through this again.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CPL593H posted:

You hit the nail on the head here. It's weird and there's a lot of visually interesting stuff in it, but god this movie sucks. I hated it so much, but I think part of that is because I had really high expectations based on some of the zany poo poo that happens earlier in the movie. In a way I'm glad I saw it, but I'm almost certain I would never sit through this again.

The problem with Lifeforce is that it's extremely badly edited. Putting the audaciously trippy and dreamlike outer-space sequence right at the beginning of the film cripples the whole thing.

It should begin with the stiff-upper-lipped British dudes on the ground being mildly vexed by the mysterious goings-on. Instead, it's like if 2001 opened with the stargate sequence. The film simply cannot recover from that - and there's a lot of fatty exposition to trim, besides.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 9, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem with Lifeforce is that it's extremely badly edited. Putting the audaciously trippy and dreamlike outer-space sequence right at the beginning of the film cripples the whole thing.

It should begin with the stuff-upper-lipped British dudes on the ground being mildly vexed by the mysterious goings-on. Instead, it's like if 2001 opened with the stargate sequence. The film simply cannot recover from that - and there's a lot of fatty exposition to trim, besides.

Yes, the editing is at the top of the list of things I'd say is wrong with it. And in fairness it was cut down from a much longer running time so I'd always figured that a lot of poo poo wrong with that movie is because they had to hastily do a massive recut at some point.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Gonz posted:

I convinced my parents to rent out Lifeforce because I was convinced that it was tied to the NES video game... I was quite wrong about that one.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I cannot loving wait for that movie.

That poster is kinda sucky though.

For a second I thought it was Johnny 5.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dillbag posted:

I really like robot exoskeletons, so between this and All You Need Is Kill it's going to be a pretty good year.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Since 40% of Lifeforce consists of Mathilda May's bare breasts, that's all I really remember aside from the scene where Steve Railsback is hamming it up, hilariously trying to resist making out with Patrick Stewart on an operating table (who is possessed by Mathida May, who is a space vampire? It's been a while).

This led me to look up Mathilda May on imdb. I learned that she also starred in a film appropriately titled "The Tit & the Moon". It's about a 9 year old boy who is jealous of his new baby brother getting all of his mom's breast-attention. So, he wishes upon the moon to bring him the perfect pair of lactating breasts that he can call his very own. Enter Mathilda May's breasts.

I then saw the UK DVD cover and laughed for 5 minutes.

:psyduck:

Maybe this movie is well known/regarded and I've been out of the loop, but what the hell? Has anyone seen this? Is it as hilariously insane as it seems?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Since 40% of Lifeforce consists of Mathilda May's bare breasts, that's all I really remember aside from the scene where Steve Railsback is hamming it up, hilariously trying to resist making out with Patrick Stewart on an operating table (who is possessed by Mathida May, who is a space vampire? It's been a while).

This led me to look up Mathilda May on imdb. I learned that she also starred in a film appropriately titled "The Tit & the Moon". It's about a 9 year old boy who is jealous of his new baby brother getting all of his mom's breast-attention. So, he wishes upon the moon to bring him the perfect pair of lactating breasts that he can call his very own. Enter Mathilda May's breasts.

I then saw the UK DVD cover and laughed for 5 minutes.

:psyduck:

Maybe this movie is well known/regarded and I've been out of the loop, but what the hell? Has anyone seen this? Is it as hilariously insane as it seems?

Clips of this have passed around 4Chan forever. And yes, she does fire them off like a firehose into the kid's mouth.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 9, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Young Freud posted:

Clips of this have passed around 4Chan forever. And yes, she does fire them off like a firehouse into the kid's mouth.

Google's new animated search turned up some results for this and... :psyduck: I might have to watch this movie just to understand why.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

uPen posted:

Google's new animated search turned up some results for this and... :psyduck: I might have to watch this movie just to understand why.

What what? There's now a search function that'll bring up nothing but animated gifs?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

What what? There's now a search function that'll bring up nothing but animated gifs?

Yup. Do an image search, then select Search Tools > Any Type > Animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

A Charles Band Production