Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Aggro is adorable and I'm glad he survived. Judging by his injuries and Ceasars little quip about how he'd never grasp a sword again he'll probably survive the climax because he won't be in the slaughter :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zzulu posted:

Judging by his injuries and Caesars little quip about how he'd never grasp a sword again he'll probably survive the climax because he won't be in the slaughter :allears:
Ooh, you're right - At least Nasir and Acorn may have a happy ending

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

SaltLick posted:

I think he was just super drunk and missed the ship.

Yeah they showed him throwing up and passing out when the others were leaving.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Ooh, you're right - At least Nasir and Acorn may have a happy ending

I really hope Aggrocrag and Nasir have a happy ending. They were always so cute together. :3:

It was also kinda nice to see Laeta come around to the rebellion fully by cheering for Crixus. Maybe Spartacus and her run off together and have an awkward "how I met your mother" story.

"So kids it was love at first face stabbing."

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Zzulu posted:

Aggro is adorable and I'm glad he survived. Judging by his injuries and Ceasars little quip about how he'd never grasp a sword again he'll probably survive the climax because he won't be in the slaughter :allears:

I don't get how this injury works. I mean can't they tie some swords to Argon's wrists?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Science posted:

I don't get how this injury works. I mean can't they tie some swords to Argon's wrists?

Or just go with the army of darkness solution.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Science posted:

Preview chat they showed Agron holding a shield with a sword kind of stuck through it so the point was sticking out passed one of the edges.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but stolen from the gif thread:

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
Edit: ^^^ that is both terrifying and hilarious

equity posted:

You want him to become a Ptolemy sycophant?

I thought his assassin was some misc officer of Ptolemy. Could be anyone, really. Anyway this is a silly tangent.

etalian posted:

I loved the acting for when Crassus loses control for a few moments when he learns his son got captured in the ambush but then quickly snaps back into his scheming old self to make a gameplan.

I liked the editing in that scene too. I thought my feed was skipping around but then realized it done on purpose to convey his panic and confusion at the news.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

This I'm a little confused on. So they crucified Agron as a warning to the other prisoners. But they kept him strapped to the beams so he doesn't suffocate (the real cause of death by crucifixion).

So they're plan to intimidate everyone was to string up Agron (painfully) but let him essentially dehydrate to death? It just seemed like a really over-elaborate way to keep Agron alive but seriously injured.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thwomp posted:

This I'm a little confused on. So they crucified Agron as a warning to the other prisoners. But they kept him strapped to the beams so he doesn't suffocate (the real cause of death by crucifixion).

So they're plan to intimidate everyone was to string up Agron (painfully) but let him essentially dehydrate to death? It just seemed like a really over-elaborate way to keep Agron alive but seriously injured.

Crucifixions routinely lasted for days, so yeah leaving him alive slowly dying seems like a pretty brutal way of sending a warning?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Hollow Hills posted:

Crucifixions routinely lasted for days, so yeah leaving him alive slowly dying seems like a pretty brutal way of sending a warning?

But wasn't the condemned not strapped to the beams so that he was hanging (more or less) by his hands?

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thwomp posted:

But wasn't the condemned not strapped to the beams so that he was hanging (more or less) by his hands?

quote:

A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was asphyxiation.[51] He wrote that the condemned would have severe difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs. The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by his arms, leading to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. When no longer able to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few minutes. Some scholars posit other causes of death, including Frederick Zugibe, who suspended test subjects with arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical. Test subjects had no difficulty breathing during experiments, but did suffer rapidly increasing pain,[52][53] which is consistent with the Roman use of crucifixion to achieve a prolonged, agonizing death.

You didn't even bother reading a few lines down from the wikipedia article.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

muscles like this? posted:

Preview chat they showed Agron holding a shield with a sword kind of stuck through it so the point was sticking out passed one of the edges.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but stolen from the gif thread:

Liam McIntyre is so gorgeous, even when he's molesting a bag of Doritos.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

"Agron" has become the world's most difficult name to spell, apparently.

You should go check out the Ellen May pages in the Justified thread.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Hollow Hills posted:

You didn't even bother reading a few lines down from the wikipedia article.

I'm reading the wiki now after asking my question and it appears that the "asphyxiation leading cause of death" is an outdated theory. Consider me educated.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Liam McIntyre is so gorgeous, even when he's molesting a bag of Doritos.

I found the actual commercial and its even weirder with the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8H77RJnP8

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I really hope this was what got him the leading role.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

You should go check out the Ellen May pages in the Justified thread.

In all fairness, every character on Justified pronounces Ellie Mae differently. There's only one pronunciation of Agron, and its spelling is phonetic, so there is no excuse.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

I've seen this video about a hundred times since it was first posted in this thread. It's strangely hypnotic, especially with the music.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

In all fairness, every character on Justified pronounces Ellie Mae differently. There's only one pronunciation of Agron, and its spelling is phonetic, so there is no excuse.

The excuse is that one guy earlier in the thread accidentally misspelled it and the rest of us are having fun with it. :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also, when I was re-watching Blood and Sand, I was very amused to notice that Oenomaus even says Agron's name wrong, and calls him Argon. Pretty plausible, since at that point Aggy is still just a slave at action, but Oenomaus does get Duro and Segovax correctly.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I've seen this video about a hundred times since it was first posted in this thread. It's strangely hypnotic, especially with the music.

I am not ashamed to admit that I am probably at least a quarter of this video's page views.

The time for shame will be later, when my grades reflect this fact.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Spartacus: The Champion of Crunchiness, The bringer of flavor

Chef Bromden fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 8, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I really thought/hoped Spartacus was going to make it Tiberius v. Caesar in the arena. Even though Brad Caesar was a dick to Agron, he's still my favorite roman dude from this season.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SaltLick posted:

The excuse is that one guy earlier in the thread accidentally misspelled it and the rest of us are having fun with it. :colbert:

I think it was more like multiple people misspelled it, including one dude who spelled it two different ways in one post, both wrong.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Got bored and made some things in honor of the Series Finale. For my fellows Brothers.

bonus

I like making these even if I never expect them to go into use.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bro tag best tag.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

This owns, can you still do gang tags on SA? I haven't seen a new one in a while.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Robert Analog posted:

This owns, can you still do gang tags on SA? I haven't seen a new one in a while.

No, gang tags have been banned.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Got bored and made some things in honor of the Series Finale. For my fellows Brothers.

bonus

I like making these even if I never expect them to go into use.

I'd sell a kidney for this gang tag

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

No, gang tags have been banned.

Why were they banned?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CODChimera posted:

Why were they banned?

Aatrek I believe or another moderator got pissed at all the poo poo that was involved in giving them to people. He declared that the Futurama ones were the last ones and there would be no more, and do not even bother asking.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
You can still kinda do it, but it's DIY/not free. Someone has to buy it as an avatar first so it's hosted on SA. Then everyone has to buy new avatars with the tag embedded. I could be wrong.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My theory for what is going to happen:

Pompey attacks Spartacus. Not knowing who is Spartacus, there's the "I am Spartacus" moment, where Gannicus claims he's Spartacus. Pompey kills Gannicus and heads back to Rome to claim victory. Spartacus escapes with the rest of the slaves. Only Crassus knows the truth but can't admit it to the Senate.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

the posted:

My theory for what is going to happen:

Pompey attacks Spartacus. Not knowing who is Spartacus, there's the "I am Spartacus" moment, where Gannicus claims he's Spartacus. Pompey kills Gannicus and heads back to Rome to claim victory. Spartacus escapes with the rest of the slaves. Only Crassus knows the truth but can't admit it to the Senate.

Ooh, I like that one.

(problem is mass crucifixions still happen - most of the slaves are going to die).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, they're not free anymore, which is why I stopped making them since it became less easy to get them rolling. I made the yellow "troll slaiyers" one you might have seen around as well. I can see why they're a bannable offense if you ask for one, it's gotta' be super annoying to be pestered for one at the rate you can probably assume they come about.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I hope Ganikus' last girlfriend (the blonde one, not Argon) gets an honorable death or escapes and nothing else.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

Alchenar posted:

Ooh, I like that one.

(problem is mass crucifixions still happen - most of the slaves are going to die).

Spartacus reached northern Italy before the split with Crixus and there's debate on whether his entire hoard followed him when he headed back south. But yes, there will be crucifictions :smith:.

OTOH Crassus was kinda pissed that Pompey stole his thunder. Perhaps his crucifictions were part of decimation 2.0.

Edit: holy poo poo, wikipedia says Crassus may have killed 4000 Romans during the war :stare:

hillaryous clinton fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 9, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

maninacape posted:

Spartacus reached northern Italy before the split with Crixus and there's debate on whether his entire hoard followed him when he headed back south. But yes, there will be crucifictions :smith:.

OTOH Crassus was kinda pissed that Pompey stole his thunder. Perhaps the mass murder was actually decimation 2.0.

But was Crassus like Pompey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmeCru4n0yg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bobkatt013 posted:

Aatrek I believe or another moderator got pissed at all the poo poo that was involved in giving them to people. He declared that the Futurama ones were the last ones and there would be no more, and do not even bother asking.

Man, I want a Spartacus bro gang tag :(

• Locked thread