Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mr Cynicism posted:

Could anyone recommend me some good snes soccer games? Preferably ones with a manager mode?

What do you want to get out of it? Very, very few sports games from that era have a manager mode beyond a season mode with light player transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I guess just a season mode with good AI if that's the case. I was looking for something along the lines of fifa or pes but I guess I'm stretching a bit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Laughing_Stock posted:

Well if you're looking for a supernatural murder mystery there's really nothing better than Deadly Premonition for Xbox 360. If you have a PS3 you can always wait for the director's cut to release on PS3 around April 30th. A word of warning though, just play on easy and enjoy the game; the combat is a chore and you don't get anything other than achievements for playing on higher difficulties. Also, make sure to take the time to go after some of the character side quests. Almost every resident of Greenvale has side missions that flesh out the town, back story, or their characterization.

I've already got Deadly Premonition. I love it, but it's really more Twin Peaks than it is Twilight Zone though.

Rollersnake posted:

This is probably way more primitive than what you're looking for, but the text adventure Shade is the closest thing to an interactive Twilight Zone episode that I've ever experienced. It's a very short game (kinda TV episode-length), but eerie and unforgettable.

I'll check this out for sure.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Can anyone recommend any games similar to the Telltale games Walking Dead game? I have never really played the laid back, choose your own adventure type adventure games but am really enjoying this one. Nothing with ball-bustingly difficult puzzles or anything like that, just something with good characters/story and really toned down action elements. For PC preferably, and more modern would be nice as well unless it's an absolute must-play game.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Bruc posted:

Can anyone recommend any games similar to the Telltale games Walking Dead game? I have never really played the laid back, choose your own adventure type adventure games but am really enjoying this one. Nothing with ball-bustingly difficult puzzles or anything like that, just something with good characters/story and really toned down action elements. For PC preferably, and more modern would be nice as well unless it's an absolute must-play game.
Check out Kentucky Route Zero, another episodic game that oozes atmosphere and probably has the most honest dialogue/choice system I've seen in a game. It's $25 for the five episodes (only one is out so far), and you can get it on the main site here for a DRM-free copy, Steam key, and the awesome soundtrack.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Can someone please recommend a Computer Card Game that isn't Duels of the Planeswalkers? I keep seeing these fun looking games like Rage of Bahamut or Marvel Heroes game, but I don't have an Iphone/android device to play them. I know there was a CCG goons were playing a while back but seems like most people have stopped playing it.

Nimble Quest and Puzzle & Dragons look really fun but still the same issue. :(

Bonus if its an online game and goons are actively playing it.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

Hiii well I'm really into games were you can customize your guys' builds and when you can like choose what skills and equipment they use and you can level up theyre gear and that sorta thing, I mean I REALLY get into them. FOr example I really liked the original Final Fnatsy Tactics, every Monster Hunter game, Demon's/Dark Souls, and I playe d Ultima Online a ton many years ago. Hopefully this is enough for one of you gaming gurus to go off of :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Marvel Heroes is also available for the PSP and DS (I liked the DS version better with the stylus).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sexy wheely posted:

Hiii well I'm really into games were you can customize your guys' builds and when you can like choose what skills and equipment they use and you can level up theyre gear and that sorta thing, ... Final Fnatsy Tactics

Have you seen the ludicrous things you can do with items/equipment/characters in the Disgaea series?

Also if you liked Dark/Demon's Souls, consider Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It's.. similar, not the same, but.. yeah.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 3, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

sexy wheely posted:

Hiii well I'm really into games were you can customize your guys' builds and when you can like choose what skills and equipment they use and you can level up theyre gear and that sorta thing, I mean I REALLY get into them. FOr example I really liked the original Final Fnatsy Tactics, every Monster Hunter game, Demon's/Dark Souls, and I playe d Ultima Online a ton many years ago. Hopefully this is enough for one of you gaming gurus to go off of :)

This is probably not the full extent that you desire, but I was really surprised at how much I had to do this in Dawn of War 2. I fully was expecting a vanilla-RTS

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Bruc posted:

I recommend playing the Sam and Max series by Telltale. It's great.
Also, if you wanna play an old school adventure game with a modern feel, check out Resonance. Here's a review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hetQIjX5ocY

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

This is probably not the full extent that you desire, but I was really surprised at how much I had to do this in Dawn of War 2. I fully was expecting a vanilla-RTS

I call DoW 2 a tactical party-based ARPG more than an RTS. MP is more of an RTS but the singleplayer may as well be an action RPG with deeper combat. I love it.

sexy wheeler, some others you might like if you haven't played them: Icewind Dale (it's a D&D dungeon crawl where you make your own party,) Neverwinter Nights 2 (especially the addons. Similar to IWD but more plot.) There's also Defenders Quest, a hybrid of a tower defence and rpg made by a goon. Character creation isn't as deep as the others I've mentioned but it's a fun little game that goes on sale often.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 3, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Korak posted:

Can someone please recommend a Computer Card Game that isn't Duels of the Planeswalkers? I keep seeing these fun looking games like Rage of Bahamut or Marvel Heroes game, but I don't have an Iphone/android device to play them. I know there was a CCG goons were playing a while back but seems like most people have stopped playing it.

Nimble Quest and Puzzle & Dragons look really fun but still the same issue. :(

Bonus if its an online game and goons are actively playing it.

You could try The Trouble with Robots, its on https://indiegamestand.com/ now for 1$, I have no clue what it's about but it looks like something your after, also there is this little quote.

’fun right from the start’
(Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering)

If you do get it let us know how the game is, as I'm sorta interested as well.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Are there any 4x style games where you don't have to build a military and a completely peaceful playstyle is viable? I always build an economic powerhouse and focus on diplomatic relations with other factions, but even if it's possible to make treaties with everyone, inevitably there will be "pirates" or "barbarians" who can't be negotiated with who you still have to defend against. And it always seems like no matter how many treaties you have access to, there are no options to have your NPC buddies do all the military heavy lifting for you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think the Galactic Empires games have a good enough diplomacy model to let you buy off any agressor. At the very least, you can buy individual ships off your allies, label them "mercenaries" and then sell them back after you have kicked the rear end of whomever.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I always have the most fun in those games playing with my husband who does all the military stuff and protects me while I supply him with all the trade goods and money to bolster the armies. Unfortunately it never seems like I have those sort of cooperative options in a single player game. Too complicated to design in a not lovely way, I guess.

[edit]I just want to be the lovable country with all sorts of shiny resources that everyone leaps to defend if someone glares in my direction :smith:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tagra posted:

I always have the most fun in those games playing with my husband who does all the military stuff and protects me while I supply him with all the trade goods and money to bolster the armies. Unfortunately it never seems like I have those sort of cooperative options in a single player game. Too complicated to design in a not lovely way, I guess.

[edit]I just want to be the lovable country with all sorts of shiny resources that everyone leaps to defend if someone glares in my direction :smith:

I wonder if Giants: Citizen Kabuto would work for you two at all.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tagra posted:

Are there any 4x style games where you don't have to build a military and a completely peaceful playstyle is viable? I always build an economic powerhouse and focus on diplomatic relations with other factions, but even if it's possible to make treaties with everyone, inevitably there will be "pirates" or "barbarians" who can't be negotiated with who you still have to defend against. And it always seems like no matter how many treaties you have access to, there are no options to have your NPC buddies do all the military heavy lifting for you.

I tried this for a while in Civ 5 with combat victories turned off, but it turns out Anno 1404 with combat turned off is much more fulfilling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is a weird question but are there any games that are less game and more just running around exploring pretty environments? If possible a PC game with coop so a friend and I can just gently caress around in pretty environments.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

This is a weird question but are there any games that are less game and more just running around exploring pretty environments? If possible a PC game with coop so a friend and I can just gently caress around in pretty environments.

Miasmata.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

The whole MYST series are all about exploration and puzzle solving. Uru had multiplayer but not sure if you can use it still.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Len posted:

Well, for running around and exploring, my current craze is Terraria. You could call it a 2D Minecraft, but it looks prettier and there's a whole lot more stuff to check out and craft, plus stuff like boss fights and setting up your own NPC village.

For doing nothing but enjoying the scenery? Believe it or not, Just Cause 2. Yeah, there's shooting and stuff, but if you want to take a break, you can just paraglide all around the (gigantic) map enjoying forests, mountains, jungles, whatever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Len posted:

Would Love (the video game) work here? That or Minecraft with some some graphics addons.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Three games come to mind:

Antichamber is running around, exploring an escher-esque maze. Once you figure out what is going on, everything clicks and it's very enjoyable.
Dear Esther is about running around and that's it. It pissed me off because I was expecting a game, but I admit I was taken by the great scenery.
Proteus is basically only exploration to the exception of all else.

Note that I only grudgingly mention the last two since they fit your description. They only have about two hours of play between them :mad:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Len posted:

You can turn on God Mode and do that with just about any open world game. Elder Scrolls games in particular are great for this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Couple more ideas for world roaming:

- Arma II, with no combatants, just fauna and civilians and vehicles. There are even extra landmasses to download and explore.

- Stay with me here, but Far Cry 2. The maps are the size of postage stamps unfortunately, but it's so absurdly easy to plant down a huge swampy forest and stick some ruins in there, then draw a river cutting through it, or just bound through the desert in dune buggies.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Recently I've been replaying Risen and also playing Risen 2, both of which I emphatically love.

I've bought the entire Gothic series (Yes. Even that one that everyone says not to buy) to playthrough at some point. I'm really looking for more RPGs with that sense of exploration and being able to go out of your depth, succeed against awful odds through skill, cunning, or cheese and get a really sweet-for-your-level item, stuff like that. I guess, in this vein, I'm also enjoying Two Worlds (A terribly voiced but decent enough hack and slash, bit samey though.)

EDIT: Forgot to respond here, but I love both Morrowind (Which I've shamefully never finished but have on the laptop) and Dark Souls (Which I am constantly in love with)

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 9, 2013

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

I'm really looking for more RPGs with that sense of exploration and being able to go out of your depth, succeed against awful odds through skill, cunning, or cheese and get a really sweet-for-your-level item, stuff like that.

Dark Souls. Of all the games I've played, Gothic 2 and Dark Souls had the most of those sequence-breaking type of opportunities. I love those, too, and have to check out Risen now that you have mentioned it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TehGherkin posted:

Recently I've been replaying Risen and also playing Risen 2, both of which I emphatically love.

I've bought the entire Gothic series (Yes. Even that one that everyone says not to buy) to playthrough at some point. I'm really looking for more RPGs with that sense of exploration and being able to go out of your depth, succeed against awful odds through skill, cunning, or cheese and get a really sweet-for-your-level item, stuff like that. I guess, in this vein, I'm also enjoying Two Worlds (A terribly voiced but decent enough hack and slash, bit samey though.)

Morrowind was amazing for this. There were a lot of cool and amusing ways to break that game.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Thanks, I've got that installed on my laptop, which brings me to my next question.

I'm staying with some friends in Cardiff for a while and I only have my laptop. Can goons recommend some decent games that can be played trackpad and keyboard?

I'm into mostly everything, as long as it's fun, but I have a preference for RPGs foremost, as well as strategy games, action games, shooters, etc.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: No, I've not, is there a thread you can link me to, and how friendly does it play with laptop controls?

Whoa, that looks awesome, had me at the thread title! I'm buying that, the trailer looks great and the music is incredibly relaxing (might be because I'm high as poo poo). I hope it has a tutorial though (also because I'm high as poo poo).

Anymore recommendations for laptop friendly games? My mate said Gothic was designed for keyboard only so I'm going to finally give that a go.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 8, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

TehGherkin posted:

Thanks, I've got that installed on my laptop, which brings me to my next question.

I'm staying with some friends in Cardiff for a while and I only have my laptop. Can goons recommend some decent games that can be played trackpad and keyboard?

I'm into mostly everything, as long as it's fun, but I have a preference for RPGs foremost, as well as strategy games, action games, shooters, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I like a lot of those same types of games, and I think you might like FTL, in that situation. Have you tried it?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Here is the FTL thread. It works on laptops perfectly.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Also, a third request (never used this thread before so I guess I'm catching up).

I'm playing through Risen 2 at the moment and it's put me in a very piratey mood. I re-installed the modern Sid Meier's Pirates, and I might re-install Tropico as well, but I'm really looking for a more hands-on pirate game.

It seems these are very few and far between, do any of you know of any?

EDIT: Haha, I've played Monkey Island.

Could you give a brief description of the others please?

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 9, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Monkey Island.

Port Royale 3: Pirates and Merchants.

Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

TehGherkin posted:

Also, a third request (never used this thread before so I guess I'm catching up).

I'm playing through Risen 2 at the moment and it's put me in a very piratey mood. I re-installed the modern Sid Meier's Pirates, and I might re-install Tropico as well, but I'm really looking for a more hands-on pirate game.

It seems these are very few and far between, do any of you know of any?

It's not going to do you any good now, but you might want to keep Assassin's Creed 4 in mind for the future.

Assassin's Creed 3 isn't a pirate game but has some pretty sweet ship to ship combat that might scratch that itch. You're going to get mixed reviews on the game as a whole (I basically like it, but don't think it's nearly as good as Ass2 or it's sequels.) You also might be a little lost on the overall plot, which is worthwhile as far as being a video game plot goes, but not exactly great literature or anything.

And of course, Skull and Crossbones.

Sears Poncho fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 9, 2013

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
If we're doing old console games, if you want pirating you can't go wrong with Uncharted Waters 1 & 2

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Fatrick posted:

I'm looking for a co-operative game that me and the wife can play together on PC.
I'm thinking some kind of free to play MMO game.
Preferably fantasy theme, Not too action heavy, and something of a lighter theme to it (Warhammer fantasy, or Age of Conan would be right out)
Definitely some non-combat elements needed (crafting, building, etc.) Does anyone do house building like Galaxies used to anymore?

I keep thinking "World of Warcraft", but I've played it for a long time before and I'm pretty tired of it.

kinda late but if you havent played it, Lord of the Rings Online is exactly what you're looking for,and its one of the best F2P models used in an MMO to boot.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Machado de Assis posted:

kinda late but if you havent played it, Lord of the Rings Online is exactly what you're looking for,and its one of the best F2P models used in an MMO to boot.

We started with EQ 2 yesterday. If it doesn't pan out we may give this a shot

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm seeking recommendations for games that have unique interesting atmosphere/ambiance. I know that's a really freaking broad request, but I've got this weird craving for games that:

Have a lush, vibrant natural setting, like a Studio Ghibli film, or that are evocative of something like this:

Have a steam/diesel/cyberpunk setting, and feature hong kong or blade runner-esque cities at night, like these:

Have futuristic mystical environments. What do I mean by futuristic mystical environments? Well:

Obviously all the examples I posted above are RPGs, except for the Panzer Dragoon stuff, so I'd expect the kinds of games I'm looking for would be RPGs- but they certainly don't have to be. Of course, I've played every game that I've posted pictures of.

I think my desire for games like those above is stemming from nostalgia for late 1990's Sqaresoft environments. I think I've played or know of most of them, but if there are any obscure or lesser-known games -Squaresoft or otherwise- that share some of the aesthetics, I'd like to know about them.

Since I'm after some kind of weird aesthetic-based experience, I suppose I'm not necessarily looking for good games..

I need games that can be played or emulated on a PC, or games for PS3, PSP, or iPhone.

I'm also looking for games set in modern Japan or Hong Kong, like Shenmue. Or that have a stylish modern setting, like EarthBound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I'm also looking for games set in modern Japan or Hong Kong, like Shenmue.
Get Sleeping Dogs, its a great sandbox game set in Hong Kong. There's also the Yakuza games when it comes to games set in modern day Japan, but I haven't really played them, heard they are good though.