Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jackard posted:

Should shift its focus from a few hellholes to conquering everything that is not the Empire and switching the emperor to a godking, the crusader is Imperialism.

I'm picture her on horseback in front of her Army of the Willing,

"OUR ENEMIES CALL MY GODS THE DARK GODS! THEY SAY THEY ARE MONSTROUS, EVIL, DEMENTED! BUT LOOK AT THE WORLD! LOOK AT YOURSELF! WE HAVE BEEN ABANDONED! BY OUR KINGDOMS! BY OUR FAMILIES! BY THEIR GODS! DEMONS AND MONSTER OVERRUN THIS WORLD, BARELY KEPT IN CHECK BY THEIR POWERS! WE WILL BE THE ONES TO SAVE THIS WORLD, TO CLEANSE IT! SO drat THEM AND THEIR GODS! TO BATTLE! TO VICTORY!"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The Emperor Reborn is the only god I'll ever need.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Gort posted:

I guess it's just tiresome that merely flipping an icon's gender from male to female completely changes the concept from "warrior" to "seductress".

See also: "Orc Lord" becomes "Dark Mother". The entire concept gets thrown out and becomes centered entirely around a gender role.

Neither concept had anything to do with sex before, but after the gender flip, it becomes central to the icon? Give me a break.

They did mention that they wanted to change more than the gender when they did these, or else why bother making alternate versions

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like, for the most part, the ideals and goals for all the gender swapped Icons are still the same as their 'normal' versions, it's just how they go about it is different. The Gambler and the Diabolist still want to amass and spread demonic power, the diabolist through schemes and plans and the Gambler through..gambling and deals.

What I don't understand about the Gambler is why give it a gender at all? If it's swapping everything else on the throw of the dice or the according to the whims of fate, why not gender as well? If the gambler cares only for what it can risk and what it can gain, does it need a constant gender?

I like the idea of the Rose Princess, but I think it works better as the Shadow... in fact, their Duchess is such a similar concept without the whole princess in need of a night garbage. I get that she's the inverse of the chivalric ideal, but it's just so boring. At least the Duchess uses the image to hide behind... the Princess really is the chick in a castle using her charms. She's also a very negative stereotype, the whole "user of good men" crap. They could have really changed it up if she was naturally alluring and completely honest about her intentions, telling all men that they exist solely to fight for her, and that she's not interested... but even then, she's be reliant on others to do her combat, and I don't care much for that. I think a better gender swap would have been a cold and calculating military commander who thinks in terms of longterm victory and views her soldiers as resources to be spent. It swaps the fiery nature of the Crusader for a cold and calculating one, but doesn't really hurt the central combat and you still have a badass warrior.

I like the Dark Mother, but only because when I think of the Dark Mother I don't even see an Orc. I see a roiling plague in mostly human form, spreading spiritual diseases wherever she goes and expanding her brood beyond the green. I know it's not in the write up, and I think they missed an opportunity to have a lord of plagues and the plagued when they replaced the angry warlord. And really, how much more scary would she be when every individual with a cough could be one of her servants in disguise?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Using the complete gender-flipping is totally unnecessary but there are a few interesting concepts in there. I agree with Anomaly, the Gambler is a pretty classic trickster-devil.

TheAnomaly posted:

I think a better gender swap would have been a cold and calculating military commander who thinks in terms of longterm victory and views her soldiers as resources to be spent. It swaps the fiery nature of the Crusader for a cold and calculating one
Would be perfect for the imperialistic Crusader that denounces other faiths.

vvv That's another interesting one. vvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 4, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Fem!Crusader alternate version, vaguely Joan of Arc inspired:

She's tremendously afraid, her life is completely out of her control, and everything in the world is threatening her. She's on a mad quest to kill absolutely everyone who might hurt her, and right now the top of that list is demons. Her army follows her for various reasons (whatever else she is, she's probably the greatest single combatant in the setting) but she only lets people become her followers because while people fight her enemies they're not fighting her. And she's always spurring herself forwards to try to kill people before they prepare for her onslaught.

It's a mad goal for a mad woman who is far too familiar what just what violence can do. (Also this version is a hero to underdogs because she or her followers will come sweeping out of the hills to crush the stronger side of a conflict.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Depending on your setting, you could also cast your Joan d'Crusader analogue as a xenophobe who just wants [THEM] out of her land, if they would just go back to where they came from she wouldn't have to be at the head of this army leading them to reclaim the land that's rightfully her people's. You can, from there, tweak just how right or wrong you want her to be to fit the needs of the setting, and even strike her into a really uncomfortable balance between the two. One could even go so far as to cast her as the head of a Fascistic-like movement if you wanted to go really extreme, though I may have been reading way too much WWII stuff than can be healthy.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
She might be good as the iconic leader of a kingdom slightly weaker and smaller than the empire that makes up for the lack of Archmage / Priestess with fervor and alliances with the High Druid.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've been focusing on work (and video games) for the last six months or so, and had not been giving this game the proper attention. I'm going through my e-mails now. The last one I have is from Simon explaining the situation with Chris Huth's apartment burning down (very sorry to hear it) and linking to my order page with the drafts, including the incomplete 4th Chapter on Classes. The e-mail concludes by saying the complete 4th Chapter will be available in a week (almost a month ago).

I haven't heard anything since then. I know things have been hairy and I'm not looking to register dissapointment or anything. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed or accidentally deleted a relevant e-mail. I'd like to make sure I've got the latest good material before I go through the rules again.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Holy poo poo, the loving Star Princess you guys. The loving Star Princess! Super-cloned technomage from another world is one of the best things I've ever seen.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
If you're looking for more Icon options, may I suggest The Muse, the Steam King and/or the Prisoner? (More forthcoming.)

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Midgard Icons: Exarch Vermes II is up at Kobold Press.

Exarch Vermes II is one of the most influential and mysterious figures in Bemmea, a city riddled with mysteries. The inhuman wizard who leads its Ninemage Council has molded his city for centuries into the place it is today.

“Mastery of magic is mastery of the world.”

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The entry for magic staffs ends with this line "Epic staffs don’t like to be around lesser staffs, and do not abide wands." which implies staffs are huge dicks. Is this because of their phallic nature?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Is there any way to chop out initiative without ruining the game, or does too much of combat rely on it? After reading Dungeon World and getting sick of spending so much time listing initiative, I just want it to go away.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Overemotional Robot posted:

Is there any way to chop out initiative without ruining the game, or does too much of combat rely on it? After reading Dungeon World and getting sick of spending so much time listing initiative, I just want it to go away.

The game's built on turns, unlike Dungeon World where the players make actions and the DM reacts and presents other actions. The game would definitely break if you just let people do things when they wanted because there's no mechanics for how that would work, but if you don't feel like listing initiative you could just organize your players by their initiative modifier and group them all together, making initiative "here's the players and then the enemies go after". Roots out having to roll initiative, but you can't get rid of turns in 13th Age without a significant rewrite to how the game works.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Good guys act in any order, then bad guys act in any order. If the party is surprised, reverse.

Done. Slight nerf to dex, I suppose.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
ZenMasterBullshit have been PM'ing back and forth about his idea for a better female Crusader and we've come up with this:

quote:

The Champion

The Champion was raised during the current age and is a woman of indeterminate age. Her pacts with her gods have slowed the ravages of time and her skill in battle has kept her alive. The Champion fights to keep the demons of the world at bay, and reaches out to the dregs of society so that they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps...and serve the Champion's gods of course.

OUR ENEMIES CALL MY GODS THE DARK GODS! THEY SAY THEY ARE MONSTROUS, EVIL, DEMENTED! BUT LOOK AT THE WORLD! LOOK AT YOURSELF! WE HAVE BEEN ABANDONED! BY OUR KINGDOMS! BY OUR FAMILIES! BY THEIR GODS! DEMONS AND MONSTER OVERRUN THIS WORLD, BARELY KEPT IN CHECK BY THEIR POWERS! WE WILL BE THE ONES TO SAVE THIS WORLD, TO CLEANSE IT! SO drat THEM AND THEIR GODS! TO BATTLE! TO VICTORY!"

Usual Location

The Champion can usually be found at one of her larger keeps or personally leading a crusade into a large den of demons. It is rumored that the Champion occasionally travels incognito to visit her hostels and enjoy the company of lesser mortals to remember her roots.

Common Knowledge (maybe not all is common knowledge)

The Champion started as the simple daughter of the mayor of Humbin, formerly located in the Demon Marsh. As the cracks between the worlds grew, the town was abandoned and its people became displaced refugees. Life was hard on the road and young girls needed to grow up quick to protect themselves. The refugees were turned away at the mountains of the dwarves and the woods of the elves as neither race wanted to take in so many humans. They were too frightened of Drakkenhall and the Emperor conquering his new kingdom. They were too many for the Great Gold wrym to protect, and were not pious enough for the Priestess.

Over the years of wandering, the hardened daughter of their former leader decided that instead of settling, she would fight. Many were killed in the first few raids against the demons, but the refugees felt empowered by their victories. The woman, a competent and courageous leader, was Noticed by some higher powers. Grateful for help at last, the Champion was born.

The Champion takes in the dregs of society and transforms them into warriors, farmers, and tradesmen in exchange for devotion to her gods. The crusader has set up self-sufficient fortified hostels/temples across the land where her crusades have destroyed demon influence. Anyone may turn up and given lodging and meals for coin, or for labor in the temple. Staying longer than a short period of time (~3 days?) requires a pledge of service to the Champion and her gods. This pledge does not make one a slave, but most who enter her service do not leave. Those that break their service dishonorably often find themselves on the run or dead.

Adventurers & the Icon

There are many ways into service with the Champion. An adventurer may have fallen on hard times or needed help in a dire moment and stumbled upon one of the Champion's helpful temples. All who the Champion takes in are given bread, shelter, and training in exchange for service. Or an adventurer might have come to the Champion of their free will, knowing that the greatest warriors of the world have all been a part of her crusades. An adventurer might have even attracted the eye of the Champion with a feat of courageous demonslaying.

Allies

The Champion allies herself with few, she views the other Icons as schemers who will destroy the land by focusing on each other instead of the problems of the world. There is mutual respect with the Dragon Empire, and many are grateful for the safe places she provides. The Champion has no problems with the Lich king as long as he does not impede her. The Great Gold Wyrm and the Champion may not see eye to eye on the methods but they accept each other as allies in the fight against demons.

Enemies

The Champion will never forget being turned away by the Dwarf King and the Elf Queen but does not begrudge individual dwarves and elves. The Diabloist and The Champion will never get along for obvious reasons. The Priestess actively preaches that the Champion serves dark gods and tries to dissuade the masses from making use of her hostels.

History

The Champion is a new icon, but she is not the first icon that her gods have gotten their hooks into over the ages. However they have never gotten such a powerful mortal so quickly before..

The True Danger

Everything will be okay as long as the Champion's gods stay focused on fighting demons.

Feel free to use! We used all the base icons in the description, but I don't think it would be too hard to adapt this to any setting.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

sentrygun posted:

The game's built on turns, unlike Dungeon World where the players make actions and the DM reacts and presents other actions. The game would definitely break if you just let people do things when they wanted because there's no mechanics for how that would work, but if you don't feel like listing initiative you could just organize your players by their initiative modifier and group them all together, making initiative "here's the players and then the enemies go after". Roots out having to roll initiative, but you can't get rid of turns in 13th Age without a significant rewrite to how the game works.

Do you mean having them roll initiative, putting them in order and then going:

<player 1>
[monster]
<player 2>
[monster]

etc.?

or do you mean just having them go in groups, but going in their order in the group? I just spend a stupid amount of time getting initiative together and anything would be an improvement at this point.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

Do you mean having them roll initiative, putting them in order and then going:

<player 1>
[monster]
<player 2>
[monster]

etc.?

or do you mean just having them go in groups, but going in their order in the group? I just spend a stupid amount of time getting initiative together and anything would be an improvement at this point.

He means don't roll at all, just use the player's initiative modifier. That means people will be going in the same order every battle.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
I'm playing in an AD&D campaign right now and our DM just has one person roll initiative for the group to determine if we go before or after the enemies (who use one initiative roll). The order we go in is up to us, and can just be a matter of going around the table. While I used to be inclined toward a complicated system of initiative, I've found that I have never once missed rolling my own initiative and prefer this super simple method.

The compromise method I would use is to not have the monsters roll at all. Instead, I'd just have each person do a skill check to determine if they go before or after the monsters. The precise order would be determined by the players (although generally spellcasters should go first).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

HomegrownHydra posted:

I'm playing in an AD&D campaign right now and our DM just has one person roll initiative for the group to determine if we go before or after the enemies (who use one initiative roll). The order we go in is up to us, and can just be a matter of going around the table. While I used to be inclined toward a complicated system of initiative, I've found that I have never once missed rolling my own initiative and prefer this super simple method.

The compromise method I would use is to not have the monsters roll at all. Instead, I'd just have each person do a skill check to determine if they go before or after the monsters. The precise order would be determined by the players (although generally spellcasters should go first).
Going to borrow this, initiative was far too much trouble for the DMs of my previous campaigns.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
Since we're on the topic, I'm bothered that initiative is entirely determined by DEX. This ignores that other things matter as well like who notices their enemy first and how dashing/daring a person is. The method for calculating defenses in 13th Age suggests a simple solution: the ability used for a character's initiative is the middle value of DEX, WIS and CHA.

As for keeping track of initiative, a good option is to get report covers like these. They are clear, plastic sheets folded in half the size of notebook paper that you can write on with dry erase markers and fold over the top of your GM screen for everyone to see. When the battle is over, you can wipe it off and re-use it. You could really use them for anything you'd use a white board for (drawing a quick map sketch, keeping track of monster stats and conditions, etc.) except they're 100 times more convenient since they are paper thin and light weight.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My group used to have everyone roll initiative, and then went clockwise around the table from whoever went highest. DM position was the monsters, obviously. I think we also switched which direction from time to time, but who won was random enough that we stopped bothering after a while. I think the DM pre-rolled initiative for monsters or else rolled a bunch of times, but I think the PCs having a slight initiative advantage isn't a big deal.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Just order them all up by initiative and call that group A. Then take every enemy in the encounter and call that group B. Group A takes a turn, potentially in their own initiative order if they prefer that (which will never change unless someone gets a notable boost to initiative in a level up), then group B goes. It has the problem of every player going first and probably nuking out some of your monsters before they get a chance to act, but it makes initiative far simpler.

Hydra's group initiative also works pretty well, since it keeps initiative useful by seeing which group goes first but still keeps everyone in a group to make initiative as simple as rolling twice and comparing the two rolls. Initiative might be the most boring part of a battle short of the guy who can never decide what he's going to do, so unless your players are going to freak the gently caress out because you made one of their stats less important chances are pretty good everyone else hates it as much as you do.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, I think I'm going to experiment with some of these in this Friday's game. Battles go at a sort of OK speed, but getting initiative set up takes the longest by far. I should mention that I'm also doing this in Roll20 and for some reason I take longer than I would at a real table.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Roll20 doesn't have a built-in initiative function or anything? That's one of the things I love about MapTool, I can highlight everybody in the fight and add them to initiative with a single button, no tracking required on my part.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

It does have an initiative counter, but you have to click on all the tokens individually first to add them to the list. Then you have to add the numbers and order them. It just takes a while with all the rolling.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

You can now vote on the five finalists in the Lost Magic spell design contest at Kobold Press. Four of the entries are for Pathfinder, one's for 13th Age. Some cool stuff there.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The GM can add those all as he makes the map you know. And you can tell it to sort them

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Twibbit posted:

The GM can add those all as he makes the map you know. And you can tell it to sort them

I know, but we move maps quite a bit. And I'm mostly talking about the rolling and waiting, the sorting is a big help.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Alright, so we are 10 days into April now, how is this game looking for actually making its release date this time? Has a dog eaten the layout guys computer yet? Perhaps he was mugged for drug money by hooligans?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Alright, so we are 10 days into April now, how is this game looking for actually making its release date this time? Has a dog eaten the layout guys computer yet? Perhaps he was mugged for drug money by hooligans?

No, his house burnt down.

Pelgrane hosted a fundraiser to help him get back on his feet. I believe he purchased a new PC recently and is working on it once again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Failboattootoot posted:

Isn't the release date June now?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't the release date June now?

Oh right, I thought the house burning down is what pushed it to April.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I just pre-ordered this a week ago thanks to the Let's Play thread. It's the first tabletop RPG I've ever bought, and skimming through the PDF, I'm really liking the integration of the mechanics with the roleplaying. I'm working on some potential characters. Is anyone playing this yet, or just the playtesters? I would love some people to play with/show me the ropes!

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 10, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Rhinoceraptor posted:

I just pre-ordered this a week ago thanks to the Let's Play thread. It's the first tabletop RPG I've ever bought, and skimming through the PDF, I'm really liking the integration of the mechanics with the roleplaying. I'm working on some potential characters. Is anyone playing this yet, or just the playtesters? I would love some people to play with/show me the ropes!

There's a few of us from the same thread trying to set up a game, but the guy who was going to DM is busy for the next couple of months and nobody's particularly sure what to do in the interim.

Still, it's been extremely fun coming up with characters for it. I reskinned the wizard class to create an artificer who uses gadgetry to mimic spell effects. Say hello to Amadeus X. Machina:

This guy was inspired by using Vance's Polysyllabic Verbalizations as an excuse to load up on technobabble gadgets in place of spells and Cantrip Mastery making minor effects more reliable. In addition, the One Unique Thing mechanic combined with the icon relationships made for an interesting backstory and justification for his tech-savviness.

The idea is he has a supernatural insight into complex systems brought about by a uniquely defective soul. Basically, the Elf Queen is said to have a magical bond to every other elf, which I took to mean there's something unique about the structure of elven souls where they're built to magically send and receive information via long range bonds to other souls. The upshot of this is that you can't sell an elven soul to a demon, because they can't be cleanly detached from every other elven soul in existence. So My One Unique Thing was that my wood Elf has no such connection (1 conflicted with the Elf Queen), his soul instead connecting indiscriminately to the world around him.

Prior to the campaign he's been forced into a deal with the Diabolist to figure out how other elves might be detached from the Queen the same way he was, in return for the survival of his theatre troupe (his gear is flashy because they're repurposed Special Effects devices). As a kind of mad scientist he's considerably more enthusiastic about figuring this out than he has any right to be, and figures he got a great deal (2 positive with the Diabolist). Note that we're completely ignoring the rules about how you can't have more than one relationship with evil icons because that's frankly pretty dumb.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Oh right, I thought the house burning down is what pushed it to April.

No. that is what pushed it back to like GenCon from what I remember. They have to redo the entire layout from scratch.

Rhinoceraptor posted:

I think most people here are playing it - I am looking forward to actually getting to play this weekend instead of running it, since I convinced one of my players to try GM'ing finally. :)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kenderama posted:

No. that is what pushed it back to like GenCon from what I remember. They have to redo the entire layout from scratch.

The layout of the last few chapters. They've got most of the chapters done and finished even with the housefire.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Pyradox posted:

There's a few of us from the same thread trying to set up a game, but the guy who was going to DM is busy for the next couple of months and nobody's particularly sure what to do in the interim.

Still, it's been extremely fun coming up with characters for it. I reskinned the wizard class to create an artificer who uses gadgetry to mimic spell effects. Say hello to Amadeus X. Machina:

Was it NextSundayAD? I think I was part of that group too. I hadn't heard from them in a while. I like your character. One of my characters' One Unique Thing is they think magic is a hoax, so they might get along with yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Occasionally there will be Play-by-Posts in The Game Room. I am in a game right now. With luck someone will start another game soon, as I really want to try more options.

• Locked thread