Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm gonna be honest, my multiplayer team is three thin men, a sectoid, a berserker, and a rookie with a laser rifle. I imagine it's the start of a sitcom.

What other "fun" builds do people play with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

the black husserl posted:

They really missed their chance. At this rate I'll be playing Shadows Over Earth long before Xenonauts hits beta.

What happened to Shadows Over Earth, anyway?

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

amanasleep posted:

Agreed that Alien Grenades are not worth 1500, but they don't cost 1500 on a Muton. The base stats for the unit are worth at least 900 (same as an SJ, and I would argue that 8 ammo, suppression, and 10% defense are worth a bit more), so if the Plasma rifle is 900 then they get the grenade for a maximum of 1050.

The plasma rifle isn't worht 900 with the poor aim a Muton has.

amanasleep posted:

Not relevant. Commanders MC SJ's at 95%, and most other soldiers at 75% (or 100% with Sectoid boost). Choosing soldiers over Mutons because of will is a terrible reason.

Smokejumpers cost less than half of the Muton though. Losing 1150 points to mind control is a lot different than losing 2850 points. And that grenade which isn't scary at long range is scary when in range (which your squad will be when your muton gets mind controlled).

amanasleep posted:

I agree that the aim for Mutons is an issue, but if you are sitting with Mutons trading shots in full cover you are doing it wrong. Against enemies in full cover you can suppress or throw a grenade, or withdraw and go into overwatch which is really effective for Mutons because the lethality of the Plasma Rifle is so high.

That's a lot less options though. Suppression is in any case risky since you 1) reveal the muton and 2) give the opponent shot/psi opportunities for the rest of the squad. Withdraw and overwatch is a mediocre strategy, since you can avoid overwatch in so many ways (moving to the corner but not beyond, lighting reflexes, stim and don't care, grapple, squad sight, move somewhere else, rockets, grenades etc)

amanasleep posted:

Movement is standard unless Blood Called in which case it's good. The first thing enemies will think when hearing Muton steps is Zerker (this is good). If they think regular Muton they will likely underestimate you. Sectoid steps are giveaways too but it doesn't hurt the unit.

Sectoids are 400 points with the confusion of possible sectiod commanders who are gamechanging.

Chakan posted:

I'm gonna be honest, my multiplayer team is three thin men, a sectoid, a berserker, and a rookie with a laser rifle. I imagine it's the start of a sitcom.

What other "fun" builds do people play with?

6x recons with laser shotguns have been hilarious for me. Sad thing is that it takes too long to run'gun all 6 guys at the same turn in 90 seconds. 3x sectoid commanders+1x sectoid are pretty fun if you can pull off all the mind controls in the same turn.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Are there any cheat codes that fix the more common bugs? A instantly "heal all wounded" cheat would be great. All I can seem to find are the special names.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dr_Amazing posted:

Are there any cheat codes that fix the more common bugs? A instantly "heal all wounded" cheat would be great. All I can seem to find are the special names.

Wounded guys aren't a bug. :confused:

And no, there are no cheats besides the super soldiers.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?
I popped into the Xenonauts beta thread to see how things were going. Some of the bugs sound ... familiar.

Xeno thread posted:

Yo, I don't care about anything except make sure the bug where the game freezes during alien turns is fixed. Also fix the reloading bug on battle screens that makes it so you can't see the inside of UFOs. That'd be great.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Brainamp posted:

Wounded guys aren't a bug. :confused:

And no, there are no cheats besides the super soldiers.

This one. http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?152101-Wounded-forever

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've been having a lot of trouble just getting started in Ironman Classic, and the couple of times it's started off decently it just plummets horribly in a single mission and I lose everybody, a bunch of countries get max panic, I don't have enough money to do anything... poo poo's rough. Any advice? I already beat the game once on Normal so I know the game well enough, I just can't seem to catch a break.

I'm playing the 360 version, for the record, so no mods unfortunately.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Probably the most important trick for classic: when presented with overwhelming force, withdraw and set up an ambush. Don't sit there plinking away and expect good results.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

WhiffleballDude posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble just getting started in Ironman Classic, and the couple of times it's started off decently it just plummets horribly in a single mission and I lose everybody, a bunch of countries get max panic, I don't have enough money to do anything... poo poo's rough. Any advice? I already beat the game once on Normal so I know the game well enough, I just can't seem to catch a break.

I'm playing the 360 version, for the record, so no mods unfortunately.

1.) Go heavy on grenades and rockets early on. gently caress Dr. Vahlen.
2.) Depending on the month 1 council mission, you might just want to skip it altogether. Thin men are a pain in the rear end, and even if they don't shoot you, they will poison you and your top dudes will be out for a couple weeks
3.) Skip the first UFO in month 1 so you can shoot down the larger one that comes a couple days later. Then sell everything
4.) Related to #3: you're not going to be building satellite nexuses, elerium generators, or firestorms until like late month 3 (and probably much later), so you should absolutely sell all flight computers, power sources, and even elerium
5.) Lasers first. Then worry about the other stuff in the research tree. Once you have lasers and can reliably one-shot all the enemies that you'll face until you maybe see a Muton in month 3, things are much easier.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So I found a pretty comfortable level of panic progression for marathon. I left the abduction panic increases for continents unchanged, but I set it so that a successfully thwarted abduction lowers continental panic by 1, and set abduction/terror UFOs to visible (which means you can occasionally only have two abductions to choose from). This does make panic swing pretty wildly early on in classic, but global panic still creeps upward as the game progresses, it just takes until about May/June before you absolutely have to try taking out the base to keep things under control instead of April/May (and that's assuming you're lucky enough to not get multiple abductions in the same continents/countries in quick succession, aren't losing a bunch of missions, or are suffering any other misc. setbacks that can keep you from effectively managing panic levels before then).

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
So I had this gifted to me on Steam, liking it so far.

Can I ask though, in barracks view is there any way to see your soldiers levels and stats all at once rather than having to open each one individualy?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't believe how much more visually appealing helmets are in this game. Once you go beyond Skeleton armor, the lack of helmets make for some goofy designs. I believe those should have been included in the original game and not as DLC, but whatever. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Azran posted:

I can't believe how much more visually appealing helmets are in this game. Once you go beyond Skeleton armor, the lack of helmets make for some goofy designs. I believe those should have been included in the original game and not as DLC, but whatever. :v:

The first batch was meant as a fun little pre-order bonus. Playing dress up with your soldiers went over so well that they made the second batch to go with slingshot. If they had known how much it added to the game in advance, the lead designer seems like the sort of guy that would have made it part of the base game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Execu-speak posted:

So I had this gifted to me on Steam, liking it so far.

Can I ask though, in barracks view is there any way to see your soldiers levels and stats all at once rather than having to open each one individualy?

Sadly no, and the whole barracks/soldier management interface is weirdly tedious specifically because of that (seriously, why do we need to go into a separate screen to equip soldiers instead of just using a drop down menu at the Skyranger?).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Even an option to instantly strip a soldier of all his or her gear would be a huge timesaver.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I experienced my first teleportation bug after 50+ hours of gameplay. Oh hey there, Cyberdisc, nice of you to drop yourself in the middle of my loving squad!

What followed was the most glorious bout of flanked and frantic shooting I've ever pulled off in XCOM. That being said, I never ever ever want that to happen again.
:xcom:

Edit: Ha! It got me back by freezing the game at the mission debrief screen!

E2: 6 Chryssalids at once, Xcom, motherfucking six?!

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 10, 2013

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
A question about playing dress up--I have the base XCOM game through steam, but not the preorder stuffs or Slingshot. Does Slingshot include the cosmetic options that came as a preorder bonus or are they completely separate?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Catts posted:

A question about playing dress up--I have the base XCOM game through steam, but not the preorder stuffs or Slingshot. Does Slingshot include the cosmetic options that came as a preorder bonus or are they completely separate?

They are separate - you are looking for the Elite Soldier pack. Slingshot adds stuff like berets, headphones and a lot of helmets plus I think some variant models for the advanced armours (Ghost, Titan, etc).
Elite adds the original Xcom hair and 3 helmets (which aren't as nice as the Slingshot ones) plus variants for the base armour, Skeleton and Carapace. Also, it allows you to paint your guys' armours. The base armour variant plus the first helmet option are the ultimate Red Shirt attire for Rookies.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Azran posted:

They are separate - you are looking for the Elite Soldier pack. Slingshot adds stuff like berets, headphones and a lot of helmets plus I think some variant models for the advanced armours (Ghost, Titan, etc).
Elite adds the original Xcom hair and 3 helmets (which aren't as nice as the Slingshot ones) plus variants for the base armour, Skeleton and Carapace. Also, it allows you to paint your guys' armours. The base armour variant plus the first helmet option are the ultimate Red Shirt attire for Rookies.

I had a chance to play a bit on a friend's copy with the Elite pack when it came out, and I recently bought the game myself. It's really surprising how different the game feels when you can't change the color of your dudes.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Catts posted:

You can edit a .ini file in notepad that'll let you customise colours for each soldier.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Pocket Billiards posted:

You can edit a .ini file in notepad that'll let you customise colours for each soldier.

You can already customize the colors of soldiers by default. The Elite Soldier & Slingshot DLCs add new hair styles which include helmets/head gear.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
So I find Normal too easy but Classic too hard. Is there anything in the way of mods or tweaks to make Normal a bit harder? Specifically to use the full AI and not have the game stealth-cheat in your favour. Failing that how hard would it be to change that myself?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

You can already customize the colors of soldiers by default. The Elite Soldier & Slingshot DLCs add new hair styles which include helmets/head gear.
Not unless you edit an ini you can't. Did you preorder? I think you basically got the elite soldier pack as your preorder bonus, which is why you think you can.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dr Snofeld posted:

So I find Normal too easy but Classic too hard. Is there anything in the way of mods or tweaks to make Normal a bit harder? Specifically to use the full AI and not have the game stealth-cheat in your favour. Failing that how hard would it be to change that myself?

Editing the ini file would be your best bet. There are plenty of mods on the nexus that edit the values for you if you don't want to mess around with it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

Not unless you edit an ini you can't. Did you preorder? I think you basically got the elite soldier pack as your preorder bonus, which is why you think you can.

You know what, I'm thinking of hair color. Nevermind me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Few questions.

1: Any idea if more DLC is coming or not? I liked the Slingshot missions and would like to see more mission packs.

2: Do you guys use the Ghost, skeleton or Angel armors? What do you generally use them for?

3: Is there a way to get all of the Second Wave options without having to beat the game?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

BigRed0427 posted:

Few questions.

1: Any idea if more DLC is coming or not? I liked the Slingshot missions and would like to see more mission packs.

2: Do you guys use the Ghost, skeleton or Angel armors? What do you generally use them for?

3: Is there a way to get all of the Second Wave options without having to beat the game?

1: Yes.

2: Yes, because defense bonuses are better than health bonuses. Archangel for squad-sight snipers is amazing and Ghost is just the best armor. Edit to clarify, ghost lets you turn invisible and decreases the chance for the enemy to hit you at all. Skeleton is similar but has a lesser effect.

3: No.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 10, 2013

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Any recommendations on good mods?

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Dr Snofeld posted:

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Watch some Beaglerush, read the tips posted in this thread, take a few restarts on classic to get into the swing of it and then play the game the way it was meant to be played. You'll feel much better for it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BigRed0427 posted:

Yes to all of them, depending on when I research them.

Skeleton adds +10 defense +3 movement and the grappling hook over Carapace at the cost of +3 health instead of +4. It's 100% worth it, especially since it barely costs more than Carapace.

Archangel adds more health than Carapace and gives you flight, which is great for snipers. Kind of :effort: for everyone else.

Ghost gives you +6 health +20 defense +3 movement, and the grappling hook, AND it lets you turn invisible. It's basically an :owned: button if you use it right.

I never use Titan armor. More HP are nice but it's worse in every other way and I usually skip from Skeleton to Archangel/Ghost.

I only ever have the volunteer use Psy armor on the last mission.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Yes to all of them, depending on when I research them.

Skeleton adds +10 defense +3 movement and the grappling hook over Carapace at the cost of +3 health instead of +4. It's 100% worth it, especially since it barely costs more than Carapace.

Archangel adds more health than Carapace and gives you flight, which is great for snipers. Kind of :effort: for everyone else.

Ghost gives you +6 health +20 defense +3 movement, and the grappling hook, AND it lets you turn invisible. It's basically an :owned: button if you use it right.

I never use Titan armor. More HP are nice but it's worse in every other way and I usually skip from Skeleton to Archangel/Ghost.

I only ever have the volunteer use Psy armor on the last mission.

Archangel is pretty good for Heavies, because it guarantees LOS for Rockets, buffs their bad aim, and makes them unflankable in forward positions. Unfortunately I do not think that Flying defense combos with Will to Survive (would be awesome if it did).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

amanasleep posted:

Archangel is pretty good for Heavies, because it guarantees LOS for Rockets, buffs their bad aim, and makes them unflankable in forward positions. Unfortunately I do not think that Flying defense combos with Will to Survive (would be awesome if it did).

Good point, lack of rocket LOS can be a pain in the rear end and they have pretty long range.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Though it's usefulness is a bit limited, Titan Armor does provide immunity to poison and fire. There's been a few times when I wished that I had brought it along to deal with thin men or fire.

It's not the HP damage that I care about, but that terrible aim debuff.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009
Huh. Too bad they only sent this to one guy on Twitter instead of making it something everybody can get.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Edgecase posted:

Huh. Too bad they only sent this to one guy on Twitter instead of making it something everybody can get.

Bah, it doesn't appear authentic. Instead, if that Skyranger was replaced with a Cyberdisk teleporting in, then I would believe the poster was real.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Titan armor has its perks and drawbacks, but for me the most relevant one in choosing between it and Ghost is that Titan armor costs a hell of a ton less Elerium than Ghost armor, making it much more affordable to upgrade a couple guys in your squad while you're jiggling around building plasma weaponry and Firestorms and whatnot. I'd rather have three guys in Titan right off the bat compared to one guy in Ghost and two guys in Carapace. Later on, sure, phase it out, but it's a great cheap upgrade.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Titan armor on a max assault is a pretty great way to make him Almost Unkillable.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm playing through on classic my second time through and it while it's definately more challenging than normal was, the ai still seems hopelessly poo poo. On the first couple of missions, it seemed like all the aliens were moving all the time, which was brilliant, but then it settled back into the same "Sit in groups of 3 until discovered, no matter how much noise is made or how many allies we lose" tactic it used the entire way through normal.

Also, is there any way to stop the ai from doing that stupid mini-cutscene where the aliens look at you, then run for cover? It's a minor irritation having to watch it every time you discover a group but it's way more than that when they use it on their own turn, or when they use it to teleport through walls or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

nnnotime posted:

Bah, it doesn't appear authentic. Instead, if that Skyranger was replaced with a Cyberdisk teleporting in, then I would believe the poster was real.

They're clearly burying the three recruits they brought with them in a mass grave.

• Locked thread