Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
WHERE'S MY INVITE DAMNIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

So did anyone actually get in? Haven't seen anyone bragging on twitter yet. I figured my odds would be pretty good because I signed up back in 2011 and most people seemed to miss the beta survey in the newsletter but nope!

edit: Basically just hoping invites haven't actually gone out yet. :v:

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Nothing here yet sadly, and I'm in the same boat you are timing wise(signing up, etc)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

They commented on their facebook that the first wave of invites have gone out. There'll be more to come, so just sit tight I guess.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bauxite posted:

They commented on their facebook that the first wave of invites have gone out. There'll be more to come, so just sit tight I guess.

They're still going out. :toot:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I signed up before the previous thread died, and put SA as my gaming guild, with Lowtax as the leader. Now to :f5: the hell out of my e-mail.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Just wanted to let you know that keys are still going out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yet I lack one. Woe is me. :smith:

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Orv posted:

Yet I lack one. Woe is me. :smith:

Woe is us. :unsmith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

:smith::respek::smith:

Not-havers solidarity.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Orv posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

Not-havers solidarity.

:smith::respek::smith::respek::f5:

Any minute now...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Actually, what's the NDA like? Would we even know if anyone here got invites in the first place? :tinfoil:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

404GoonNotFound posted:

Actually, what's the NDA like? Would we even know if anyone here got invites in the first place? :tinfoil:

The ever-present question when NDA's are possibly involved!

:v:

ParadoxEngima
Mar 16, 2012

Shadowmorn posted:

The ever-present question when NDA's are possibly involved!

:v:

I think the NDA might say, NO talking about if you got an Invite....

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ParadoxEngima posted:

I think the NDA might say, NO talking about if you got an Invite....

And because of that, we will never know if there is an NDA because you cant post saying there is an NDA!

On a serious note, dont forget to check your spam, i've not been lucky but i think i saw a tweet about that yesterday. :unsmith:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
There are always people ignoring nda's. Must be super small invite group.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Every MMO beta NDA I've been under has allowed me to SAY I was in the beta, but nothing more than that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: From Twitter: :siren:

Important! Do not trust sites that claim to have #WildStar beta keys! For now there's one way to get keys: the official beta application.

IMPORTANT: We are not working with @ageofmmorpg, and they do not have beta keys for #WildStar. Beware phishing scams, and tell your friends.

Might want to add that to the OP.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AlmightyBob posted:

Every MMO beta NDA I've been under has allowed me to SAY I was in the beta, but nothing more than that.

Pretty sure Mechwarrior Online and Guild Wars 2 wouldn't let you (the latter lifted that but only after Open Beta began).

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

A community manager on Reddit posted that the NDA does restrict you from even saying if you're in the beta.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I was really hoping this game wouldn't have flying mounts.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pawl posted:

It's cartoony sci-fi, can you honestly say you didn't at least expect jetpacks?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Pawl posted:

Counterpoint: The game is built for it from the ground up, might be less terrible then Wow.

But yeah, i prefer hulk jumping everywhere over flying mounts. :unsmith:

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I remember a time when goons weren't afraid to break the NDA, at least just a little.

Oh well.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Pawl posted:

What's wrong with flying mounts?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Abandon All Hope posted:

I remember a time when goons weren't afraid to break the NDA, at least just a little.

Oh well.

There are Wildstar devs reading the thread so I doubt they'd be able to break NDA for very long. :v:

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

I think there's a heavy dislike towards them due to how they basically ruined WoW's world. Flying mounts trivialized content - and while at first everything looked pretty from above, you realize that you just don't run into people like you use to, and flying mounts, on top of everyone being able to teleport everywhere (Due to Hearthstones, teleporters between major cities, dungeon queue, battleground queue), means that the world felt less like an mmo world and more like an afterthought to instanced content.

This is my major gripe with MMO's as of late - the whole "sense of community" on a server argument. One of the things I loved about MMO's was socially interacting with new people, and not in the way where I would just queue with a bunch of random pubs for an instance (In WoW, I can't remember the last time I felt the need to communicate with a group for heroics). I have very fond memories of having to socially interact with a group even before we ever actually got to a dungeon - some will argue that finding groups for dungeons was a tedious process. I'd argue that an MMO should be kind of tedious, and some of the fun in it is definitely putting a group together, going to a dungeon and knocking stuff out.

And if the run failed due to a couple random lovely players? Good. It forced the decision of the team, as a whole, to either try to work out the weak points in their group, or to try again and lose out on the time they invested.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Runefaust posted:

I'd argue that an MMO should be kind of tedious, and some of the fun in it is definitely putting a group together, going to a dungeon and knocking stuff out.

That may be true for you but far more people do not like spending more time trying to get a group together and getting to the dungeon than it takes to actually run the dungeon. MMOs are now very mainstream and they (Excluding some MMOs designed for these people) cannot cater to the small crowd that like to spend 40+ hours a week playing a game. They now have to appeal to people who may only be able to play an hour every other night and if you can't run a dungeon in that time you probably won't be playing for long.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

BadLlama posted:

That may be true for you but far more people do not like spending more time trying to get a group together and getting to the dungeon than it takes to actually run the dungeon. MMOs are now very mainstream and they (Excluding some MMOs designed for these people) cannot cater to the small crowd that like to spend 40+ hours a week playing a game. They now have to appeal to people who may only be able to play an hour every other night and if you can't run a dungeon in that time you probably won't be playing for long.

I totally understand that, but what I'm saying is that those people shouldn't be playing traditional MMO's then. I always thought MMO's were supposed to be a time sink - and that there were separate RPG games that people could play (even with other people) that could be played in small chunks or however you'd like.

Like you said, because MMO games are mainstream, developers have catered to designing their games with the casual player in mind (not casual in any sense other than the fact that they can't invest the time into the game as more hardcore players can). While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'd argue that an MMO developed for the gamers who spend 40+ hours a week playing the game will yield more profit in the long term.

Also, I'm not able to play often - and I wasn't able to back when WoW was still very time consuming. However, while I wish I could have seen more content and didn't due to time constraints, there were rare opportunities that came along when I was able to go on a random raid. That made the raiding more "special" to me - it was far cooler to see that stuff, it felt far more epic.

Nowadays, you have raid finder. I hop in within a few minutes, get into a randomized group, don't really say a word - then breeze through the content easily. After seeing everything, I try getting random people together for a harder version of the same content. Guess what? Putting together a group is harder, because everyone feel they've already seen everything the game has to offer.

So you have either one of 2 options - cater to the more hardcore base, and make the casual player feel left out. Cater to the casual base, and the hardcore players feel like they lose out on some of those epic moments. Blizzard tries really hard to strike a balance between the two, but they've been working on this balance since the introduction of the looking for group tool and STILL to this day have a hard time pleasing BOTH audiences.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

As someone who was a hardcore raider in wow, and who did spend 40+ hours a week playing, the dungeon changes were a godsend. Nothing that you want back was ever really a good thing, because what you're talking about is taking away quality of life stuff, not creating more content. Being able to grab 4 other people from my guild and pound heroics for a few hours without spending time flying there was amazing, and it let us be way more productive with our time in the game. There was nothing about dungeon finder that anyone disliked until later on when people started getting nostalgia for the good ole' days where they had to walk to dungeons.

Remember when TOR didn't ship with a built in dungeon finder? How did that work out for them? It's not really two options anymore, and you're misrepresenting the two sides of the coin in this case. It's not "hardcore" vs. "casual", it's "people who like to be productive with their time" vs. "people who are nostalgic for a time when we couldn't be as productive". It's not a hard decision for a dev to make, especially with how much flak MMOs without dungeon finders at launch get now, like TOR and GW2.

Also, raid finder was a good thing from a Dev's point of view. Remember how devs tend to want you to actually be able to play their game and see their content? Remember how raiding in burning crusade was too hard for something like 98% of the playerbase to even see it? Your argument is that raid finder is bad because it makes it harder for you to do it the old fashioned way, so gosh dangit I have to hit this button and suddenly I can do it. There are some arguments against raid finder, mainly because it can't be the actual content because pubbies thrown together like that wouldn't be able to do the actual content, but the one you espouse isn't a good one.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Runefaust posted:

I totally understand that, but what I'm saying is that those people shouldn't be playing traditional MMO's then. I always thought MMO's were supposed to be a time sink - and that there were separate RPG games that people could play (even with other people) that could be played in small chunks or however you'd like.

Like you said, because MMO games are mainstream, developers have catered to designing their games with the casual player in mind (not casual in any sense other than the fact that they can't invest the time into the game as more hardcore players can). While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'd argue that an MMO developed for the gamers who spend 40+ hours a week playing the game will yield more profit in the long term.

[...]

So you have either one of 2 options - cater to the more hardcore base, and make the casual player feel left out. Cater to the casual base, and the hardcore players feel like they lose out on some of those epic moments. Blizzard tries really hard to strike a balance between the two, but they've been working on this balance since the introduction of the looking for group tool and STILL to this day have a hard time pleasing BOTH audiences.
The problem with all this is that casual players with less time don't want to be told that your new MMO isn't "for" them, and they far outnumber the amount of people that can play one game like its their second job. WoW has millions more subs than any other MMO partly thanks to network effects, but I'd say that the real draw of it is that you can resub and catch up to your friends with minimal effort, and there's a lot of content that doesn't take months of playtime to see.

I'd also argue that increasing the time and effort required to do stuff like dungeons and raids in order to create that sense of community you're missing is a really backward, convoluted way of going about things. What makes more sense, making dungeon runs take 3 hours in a guild group, or making it way, way easier to connect with people you run across in 15 minute dungeon runs? There's a poo poo ton of things MMOs can do to make finding and building an in-game community easier without touching the speed or ease of progression, and still most of them haven't done it.

Even small things like expanding people's friend and ignore lists, allowing IM conventions like invisibility, allowing people to separate their friends into groups, allowing guild alliances and allowing people to be in more than one guild would go a long way toward helping people connect in-game. It took forever for Blizzard to make their RealId system worth using for more than just people you'd feel safe giving your real name to, and even now there's things about it that could be improved.

If the Wildstar devs are smart, they've hopefully taken to heart the lessons that WoW and other MMOs have already gone through, and they'll keep all their efforts regarding community to things that will actually help people form and maintain communities, rather than forcing them to do so if they want to progress.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Tagichatn posted:

They make the world feel safe, small, and take away all the mystery around it.
They turn travel into a complete chore instead of it being part of the adventure. They take away the small choices you make along the way like interacting with another player (friend or foe) and dealing with NPCs. Flying mounts are static content in a game type that thrives on dynamic interactions with other players, turning the game into "pick up quest, fly to area, kill X/loot Y/use Z item, fly back".
I think they take away something invaluable for the sake of adding (too much) convenience. I'm not advocating for the complete removal of all convenience, but I think that flight paths and ground mounts are sufficient.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

They turn travel into a complete chore instead of it being part of the adventure.

I don't understand your logic. How does it make it a chore?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

By making it quick and easy, like chores usually are.

Nothing about flying mounts actually make any of that true. The only reason it's currently true is because Blizzard doggedly refuses to evolve their world and quest design with flight in mind, much preferring to just snatch it away from players at the start of each expansion until they've trudged through the questing, then whinge about how much of a mistake it was on Twitter and developer chats.

This is because it would take a non-zero amount of time and energy to try and think in new ways, which is antithetical to Warcraft's current trajectory (maximizing player grind and minimum development resources spent).

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phoix posted:

There are Wildstar devs reading the thread so I doubt they'd be able to break NDA for very long. :v:

Yo devs, give me a beta invite.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Pawl posted:

They make the world feel safe, small, and take away all the mystery around it.
They turn travel into a complete chore instead of it being part of the adventure. They take away the small choices you make along the way like interacting with another player (friend or foe) and dealing with NPCs. Flying mounts are static content in a game type that thrives on dynamic interactions with other players, turning the game into "pick up quest, fly to area, kill X/loot Y/use Z item, fly back".
I think they take away something invaluable for the sake of adding (too much) convenience. I'm not advocating for the complete removal of all convenience, but I think that flight paths and ground mounts are sufficient.
I think a lot of this can be avoided by building your game around the fact that there will be flying mounts. There is no reason flying mounts have to be static. In my personal opinion, a lot of your complaints were around before flying mounts were in the game(WoW).

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
The few flightless zones they've added to WoW (Isle of Quel'Danas, Molten Front, and the new Isle of Thunder) are all great because they don't have flight.

I think Wildstar could make flying mounts work. I've seen people suggest the idea of having expensive fuel, so that if you really needed to go somewhere you still could get there relatively quickly but for smaller travel it would be inconvenient.

My concern is that they're going to directly copy flight from WoW. Wildstar is hitting the right buttons to get my attention so far but flying mounts could actually ruin any longterm interest I have in it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

HandsomeBen posted:

I think a lot of this can be avoided by building your game around the fact that there will be flying mounts. There is no reason flying mounts have to be static. In my personal opinion, a lot of your complaints were around before flying mounts were in the game(WoW).

Basically flying is dumb when 100% of the content is on the ground and flying is only added as faster travel method. There should be some content in the air as well on floating islands(this game totally has floating islands with player housing at least!) Or way for npc's to shout help at your stupid self flying over them ignoring their plight to enemies being able to look up and attack you and dismount you or drag you to the ground same as regular on ground mounts usually work.

Or hell maybe mounted combat/air mounted combat. This is sci fi why cant we pimp out a personal combat space ship for our flying mounts we've already seen enemies in the play through s that do gunning runs on people on the ground.

p.s. I imagine none of this will happen and it will be like wow were once you're in the air you're just traveling between player houses and such at best.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I sure as poo poo would not want to be dismounted while in on a flying mount.

Hell, part of the reason why you get a flying mount in the first place in games like WoW is to avoid the tedium of having to deal with mobs chain dismounting you and slowing down your ability to actually enjoy the content of the game.

In fact, bullshit dismounting mechanics are the bane of EQ style MMO's. Especially when the developers put in a poo poo-ton of mobs that cluster the zone and can gently caress with you with chain pulls and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Runefaust posted:

Also, I'm not able to play often - and I wasn't able to back when WoW was still very time consuming. However, while I wish I could have seen more content and didn't due to time constraints, there were rare opportunities that came along when I was able to go on a random raid. That made the raiding more "special" to me - it was far cooler to see that stuff, it felt far more epic.

Nowadays, you have raid finder. I hop in within a few minutes, get into a randomized group, don't really say a word - then breeze through the content easily. After seeing everything, I try getting random people together for a harder version of the same content. Guess what? Putting together a group is harder, because everyone feel they've already seen everything the game has to offer.

The original MMO fans are aging. The people who can afford to buy most MMOs on release aren't the kids in high school and college who have time to play. It's the people who work full-time, possibly have a family and other responsibilities. They don't have the time to play MMOs like they used to, they don't want to stand around spamming LFG or running for 90 minutes across the game world to get somewhere. I'm sure we'll keep seeing niche hardcore MMOs popping up here and there, but it's the casuals who bring in the cash. The people who take a year to get to max level yet keep paying that monthly sub are the golden egg.

• Locked thread